My pick for the next President

I know I shouldn't be making political endorsements via our official media sources. But my pick for the next President after this long running one would likely be Elizabeth Warren from the Democratic Party. She's definitely more of a leftist than Obama and less of a war hawk, certainly a better choice in my mind than Hillary Clinton.

Depending on the Republican candidate I could be tempted to support them. The tea party elements within the party make it difficult for a logical choice sometimes within the party but members such as Rick Perry and Jeb Bush have been quite progressive on issues such as prison reform & immigration reform respectively. I know that Rick Perry seemed quite "dumb" last time around, but in my opinion it's pretty cool that he's trying to reduce prison sentences and reduce the prison population in the States.

Anyhow, this title is mainly a false flag to trick and scare people. Who do you think should be the next President of the United States?

Ogastein said:
Rach said:
What do you mean by moderate compared to some candidates in the past? Romney and McCain were fairly moderate from what I could tell.
They were, but the Republican primaries force every centrist candidate to the right. You have to pass the "Tea Party litmus test" (pro-life, anti-gay marriage, etc.) in order for you to be an acceptable candidate. Romney was a reasonable guy but 8 years of running for President in the Republican Party ruined any chance he had in a general election.
Exactly this.

I would view it as less of a Tea Party litmus test and more of a Christianist (viewing everything through the prism of Christian values) litmus test which has in the 21st century assured that the Republicans are toasted as a party until they move beyond the backwardness of their social platform.

Bloomberg is a douchebag. You shouldn't be able to spend $50,000,000 on politics for ANY reason, liberal of conservative. Big money needs to get OUT of politics.

Zenny Anumia said:
Bloomberg is a douchebag. You shouldn't be able to spend $50,000,000 on politics for ANY reason, liberal of conservative. Big money needs to get OUT of politics.
I don't have a problem with politicians spending their own money on politicians, but 50 million does seem like a lot for campaigning. The amount of money spent on campaigning in the States is over the top and should be capped in my opinion.

I don't think Bloomberg is a douchebag though. He put millions of dollars of his own money into the city.

I was thinking more along the lines of Gary Johnson, but I'd vote for Ron Paul over anyone else likely to be in contention.

Also, you need to read my pm Rach.

Done. The problem is that I look at this stuff late at night when I need to sleep and then forget about it :p

Dr. Yuri Razhtigr said:
TL;DR

I'd love to see a libertarian president, but given the two party stranglehold on politics I don't think that will happen in 2016.
A million times this.

modernsin said:
This is pretty much what I'm expecting. But I wouldn't be too surprised if the Republicans tried another hail mary and fielded a bunch of extremists again.
I wouldn't be surprised if either scenario happened, but the first one that you and I expect is the one that has happened so many times it's not even funny. :emb:

I would view it as less of a Tea Party litmus test and more of a Christianist (viewing everything through the prism of Christian values) litmus test which has in the 21st century assured that the Republicans are toasted as a party until they move beyond the backwardness of their social platform.
Certainly agree here, but the group name you're looking for is "social conservative." They run the party right now, and they are the fucking worst.

Where I live, the current senate race is being played out in tele adverts. It is a competition to see who is the most conservative, to me it is more than a little disconcerting. These are the kinda people who think that everything should be outlawed because you have no idea what is in your own best interest.

I think it will be a long time till we see a "moderate" Republican (moderate in American is mid-right everywhere else :p). You cant win the nomination as a moderate when a large majority of the Republican base believe at least one of the following:

A. Obama is a Muslim
B. Obama is a Kenyan
C. Obama is an Atheist
D. Obama is a card-carrying Marxist
E. The UN has a secret plan to run the world called Agenda 21 (look it up)
F. Obama is trying to bring Sharia Law to America

I mean for God's sake. 21% of Louisiana Republicans blame Bush for the poor response to Hurricane Katrina, 29% blame Obama -_-

There's no such thing as a moderate. Moderate is another way to say you're not smart enough to make up your mind on anything.

Zenny Anumia said:
I think it will be a long time till we see a "moderate" Republican (moderate in American is mid-right everywhere else :p). You cant win the nomination as a moderate when a large majority of the Republican base believe at least one of the following:

A. Obama is a Muslim
B. Obama is a Kenyan
C. Obama is an Atheist
D. Obama is a card-carrying Marxist
E. The UN has a secret plan to run the world called Agenda 21 (look it up)
F. Obama is trying to bring Sharia Law to America

I mean for God's sake. 21% of Louisiana Republicans blame Bush for the poor response to Hurricane Katrina, 29% blame Obama -_-
Michael Castle?

Zenny Anumia said:
I think it will be a long time till we see a "moderate" Republican (moderate in American is mid-right everywhere else :p). You cant win the nomination as a moderate when a large majority of the Republican base believe at least one of the following
Just because most people are dumb doesn't mean they elect people like themselves. :p So just because most of the Republican base (and I question if it's a majority) are ill-informed and ignorant doesn't mean that they'll always be guaranteed to vote for people like them.

moderate meant centrist
No no no no no no no no no never. :baghead:

Back