My pick for the next President

I know I shouldn't be making political endorsements via our official media sources. But my pick for the next President after this long running one would likely be Elizabeth Warren from the Democratic Party. She's definitely more of a leftist than Obama and less of a war hawk, certainly a better choice in my mind than Hillary Clinton.

Depending on the Republican candidate I could be tempted to support them. The tea party elements within the party make it difficult for a logical choice sometimes within the party but members such as Rick Perry and Jeb Bush have been quite progressive on issues such as prison reform & immigration reform respectively. I know that Rick Perry seemed quite "dumb" last time around, but in my opinion it's pretty cool that he's trying to reduce prison sentences and reduce the prison population in the States.

Anyhow, this title is mainly a false flag to trick and scare people. Who do you think should be the next President of the United States?

Yeah the H-Bomb is thrown around far too much in the USA. THe worst I would say is regressive thinking. But now my second home might be going down the path of th USA unfortunately, no offense to any Americans here.

Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Also, saying I could be swayed into voting for Hitler is pretty out there and uncalled for.
It was a joke.

Im just saying you said you could be tempted to vote for candidates that are complete opposites for each other x)

Its like hmmm well I might like Gandhi, but ya know, Stalin seems like a pretty good guy too.
Elizabeth Warren is not the complete opposite of the Republicans. There are some policies of hers that I find too right wing for me, for example... her support (albeit quiet) support of education vouchers for families to spend on the school of their choice.

Oh sorry I didn't see that. But the latest budget the Conservative government in Australia is brining this beautiful country of an egalitarian people, to the path of the USA, not a good thing....Again I know how this sounds and I don't mean to offend.

Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Also, saying I could be swayed into voting for Hitler is pretty out there and uncalled for.
It was a joke.

Im just saying you said you could be tempted to vote for candidates that are complete opposites for each other x)

Its like hmmm well I might like Gandhi, but ya know, Stalin seems like a pretty good guy too.
See, you're presupposing a good/evil binary here (because liberals are Gandhi and conservatives are Stalin in this metaphor). But overlaying a moral gradient onto a political one is part of the problem, not the solution to transcending oppositional party politics.

...we do want to transcend oppositional party politics, right? They're useful insofar as they help dumb people reduce political complexities to black/white dichotomies, but if everyone starts picking sides in some arbitrarily fabricated war between parties, we won't really get anywhere. At least we should acknowledge that the boundaries between them are permeable, and moreover aren't really rooted in reality, but in political 'marketing' institutionalized by public media and corporate lobbies on both sides. If we start from that assertion, we can then move toward making more sensible and 'positive' claims about the fractured state of the American political system.

1. Well where to begin peole will have to pay for visits to the GP and the medicare tax offsetts and levys for those who cannot afford it will be lowerd

2. from 2016 universities will be able to charge interests on student loan payments however much they wish. Instead of it being pegged by the Consumer price index.

3. Retirement age is now 70, it will also cut pension payments by 20%

4> Unemployment benefits won't be paid until six months after you apply for them, then after a year if you are unfortunately still unemployed you will be cast out, then you have to begin the process again.

All this in that name of cutting national debt, Australia doesn't have a debt problem it is only 12% of our gdp, thats lower than most of the G-20, this is to just name a few.

I don't like any of that stuff :( Cutting things when you don't have a debt issue is just stupid.

Although the retirement age in the states is apparently 62-67 while Australias is or was 65-67.

Also, Modern Sin is basically becoming my political buddy.

MS, it has less to do with who is in which party, and more than 1 specific major political party is ignoring scientific FACTS on purpose to mislead Americans into believing in this fake cause.
Evolution isnt real, the Bible is the law of the land.
Man has no impact on the planet, and Global Warming is a liberal conspiracy headed by the UN.
Homosexuality is an abomination and unnatural.
Guns improve safety for children and teachers should carry guns.

Zenny Anumia said:
MS, it has less to do with who is in which party, and more than 1 specific major political party is ignoring scientific FACTS on purpose to mislead Americans into believing in this fake cause.
This isn't new, nor specific to Republicans, nor exclusive of Democrats. It's what parties do, as a whole. But the discussion thus far - until your impossibly broad generalizations - has been on specific politicians.

Evolution isnt real, the Bible is the law of the land.
Man has no impact on the planet, and Global Warming is a liberal conspiracy headed by the UN.
Homosexuality is an abomination and unnatural.
Guns improve safety for children and teachers should carry guns.
Literally none of these are inherent to one party or the other, but are each attributed to specific sects of social conservatives (=/= Republicans anyway). And again, these are generalizations, which aren't super helpful insofar as breaking down the false dichotomy of political realities in America.

Zenny Anumia said:
I cannot believe someone called Rick Perry progressive.

<snip>
You forgot about the real killer - is George W. Bush's brother. :emb:

Jon Huntsman!
I like Huntsman, but he couldn't win.

Back to the primary topic, Warren would be too far left to win the Presidency. If Warren does get nominated, it'll blow up in Democrats' faces when the turnout is less than expected for her - especially if the Republicans field a candidate that can convince some voters to cross party lines. Not saying there's an electoral realignment in the works, but it could certainly foreshadow one within the next few terms.

Svunbrink said:
1. Well where to begin peole will have to pay for visits to the GP and the medicare tax offsetts and levys for those who cannot afford it will be lowerd

2. from 2016 universities will be able to charge interests on student loan payments however much they wish. Instead of it being pegged by the Consumer price index.

3. Retirement age is now 70, it will also cut pension payments by 20%

4. Unemployment benefits won't be paid until six months after you apply for them, then after a year if you are unfortunately still unemployed you will be cast out, then you have to begin the process again.

All this in that name of cutting national debt, Australia doesn't have a debt problem it is only 12% of our gdp, thats lower than most of the G-20, this is to just name a few.
A yes the medicare co-payments, that is disturbing. All of this is unnecessary Seriously Joe Hockey is like Paul Ryan. I know this will sound odd coming out of a former accountant, but it is all numbers and not people, cutting out social programs and forcing states to raise the GST so they can pick up the slack is just bad policy. Sure they say that they are doing their share and paying off the taxes like anyone else as well, but they will get back that money in 3 years, the average Australian won't. Not to mention the unemployment benefits being cut of for 6 months, how is one supposed to last 6 months on no money if they loose their job, or a new experienced graduate looking for jobs, what should they just move back in with their parents?

It's just sad.

Oh my god. I have never heard you speak like this sis. You actually care about people? Aww, you might be tough on the exterior, but you are soft and gooey on the inside. want to hug?

Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Hillary got take out by a candidate who was considerably farther left than her. It could happen again.
Since when is Obama left wing? :p
I guess you completely missed his campaign, Rach. Both of them. :lol:
Sure. I've just never thought Obamas healthcare plan was that left wing, it's essentially an expansion of the current system they have there combined with more regulations. Can you really be that left wing if you don't support universal healthcare?

Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Hillary got take out by a candidate who was considerably farther left than her. It could happen again.
Since when is Obama left wing? :p
I guess you completely missed his campaign, Rach. Both of them. :lol:
Sure. I've just never thought Obamas healthcare plan was that left wing, it's essentially an expansion of the current system they have there combined with more regulations. Can you really be that left wing if you don't support universal healthcare?
Which is something he heavily campaigned for. A "everybody in, nobody out" plan. Thats not what he did, but the Affordable Care Act is a big move in the right direction.

Back