My pick for the next President

I know I shouldn't be making political endorsements via our official media sources. But my pick for the next President after this long running one would likely be Elizabeth Warren from the Democratic Party. She's definitely more of a leftist than Obama and less of a war hawk, certainly a better choice in my mind than Hillary Clinton.

Depending on the Republican candidate I could be tempted to support them. The tea party elements within the party make it difficult for a logical choice sometimes within the party but members such as Rick Perry and Jeb Bush have been quite progressive on issues such as prison reform & immigration reform respectively. I know that Rick Perry seemed quite "dumb" last time around, but in my opinion it's pretty cool that he's trying to reduce prison sentences and reduce the prison population in the States.

Anyhow, this title is mainly a false flag to trick and scare people. Who do you think should be the next President of the United States?

Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Hillary got take out by a candidate who was considerably farther left than her. It could happen again.
Since when is Obama left wing? :p
I guess you completely missed his campaign, Rach. Both of them. :lol:
Sure. I've just never thought Obamas healthcare plan was that left wing, it's essentially an expansion of the current system they have there combined with more regulations. Can you really be that left wing if you don't support universal healthcare?
Which is something he heavily campaigned for. A "everybody in, nobody out" plan. Thats not what he did, but the Affordable Care Act is a big move in the right direction.
If you want to work part-time so you're not entitled to employer provided insurance and pay for "subsidized" private plans with a grossly disproportionate percentage of your pay check then yes, a great leap forward.

I think Phra Bat Somdet Phra Paraminthra Maha Bhumibol Adulyadej Mahitalathibet Ramathibodi Chakkrinaruebodin Sayamminthrathirat Borommanatthabophit will be next President; he is eligible, he was born in Massachusetts.

Skizzy Grey said:
Elizabeth Warren is my Senator. I like her very much. She is bright and principled, and the people I know who went to HLS (including some who don't like Warren's politics) say she was a great professor. But she had more than her share of trouble getting elected as a Democrat in Massachusetts; she's too unpolished and too far left to win the presidency.
Normally I'd agree with you that she couldn't win, but if things carry on as they are, 2016 could be an unusual election. If the Republicans put up Ted Cruz or someone of his ilk, it opens the door for a further left candidate like Warren to win. Another scenario is the Republicans split and put up a real moderate and an extreme tea party candidate, which again could open the door for someone like Warren.

Malashaan said:
Skizzy Grey said:
Elizabeth Warren is my Senator. I like her very much. She is bright and principled, and the people I know who went to HLS (including some who don't like Warren's politics) say she was a great professor. But she had more than her share of trouble getting elected as a Democrat in Massachusetts; she's too unpolished and too far left to win the presidency.
Normally I'd agree with you that she couldn't win, but if things carry on as they are, 2016 could be an unusual election. If the Republicans put up Ted Cruz or someone of his ilk, it opens the door for a further left candidate like Warren to win. Another scenario is the Republicans split and put up a real moderate and an extreme tea party candidate, which again could open the door for someone like Warren.
Democrats fall in love; Repblicans fall in line. The GOP nominee will not be Ted Cruz, or anyone like him.

modernsin said:
Zenny Anumia said:
MS, it has less to do with who is in which party, and more than 1 specific major political party is ignoring scientific FACTS on purpose to mislead Americans into believing in this fake cause.
This isn't new, nor specific to Republicans, nor exclusive of Democrats. It's what parties do, as a whole. But the discussion thus far - until your impossibly broad generalizations - has been on specific politicians.

Evolution isnt real, the Bible is the law of the land.
Man has no impact on the planet, and Global Warming is a liberal conspiracy headed by the UN.
Homosexuality is an abomination and unnatural.
Guns improve safety for children and teachers should carry guns.
Literally none of these are inherent to one party or the other, but are each attributed to specific sects of social conservatives (=/= Republicans anyway). And again, these are generalizations, which aren't super helpful insofar as breaking down the false dichotomy of political realities in America.
In fairness to Zenny, you can't win the Republican presidential nomination without substantial support from the bloc she is describing. That bloc's de facto veto power over the nominee makes it hard for them to nominate someone that a centrist would consider reasonable. This is why Republicans have won the popular vote only once in the six presidential elections since the Cold War.

George W. Bush was from Texas, and his reputation as a Bible-thumper preceded him (because he had relationships with the right activists dating to his days of working for his father). Therefore, W cruised to the nomination without having to say many wildly unreasonable things. That's the model the GOP needs to dust off, and I expect they will.

flail.gif I have made five hundred posts, and I will make five hundred more, just to be the man who makes one thousand posts on the the Eu-ro-peia board . Na na na Na. Na na na Na. Na na dum diddy dum diddy dum.

Nixon 2016.

Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Hillary got take out by a candidate who was considerably farther left than her. It could happen again.
Sure. I've just never thought Obamas healthcare plan was that left wing, it's essentially an expansion of the current system they have there combined with more regulations. Can you really be that left wing if you don't support universal healthcare?
Which is something he heavily campaigned for. A "everybody in, nobody out" plan. Thats not what he did, but the Affordable Care Act is a big move in the right direction.
Mhmm. And it's not even something the conservative party in Canada would want :p

Left-right comparisons between politicians in different countries (even two as similar as Canada and the U.S.) are unilluminating.

Skizzy Grey said:
Left-right comparisons between politicians in different countries (even two as similar as Canada and the U.S.) are unilluminating.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly what I've been explaining to radicals on both sides my entire time here on NS when we get into debates on real life politics. Finally there is someone making sense. ^_^

Anumia said:
Svun, Lind, don't get me started on the shit going on here right now >.>
Lets do it. In fact lets get topic on it Anu, what do you say. Vent out your frustrations, and we can educate the Americans here on what is going on in other parts of the world.

Zenny Anumia said:
Yea, but I doubt it will happen again. Maybe Warren will win the Primary and become the next candidate, but I doubt that the voting populace will elect her into office. But that aside, Obama's a lot more center than left. :p Many of his policies in his first term were more to the center, and isn't the Affordable Care Act - at least the one that they ended up with - a watered down version of the Republican proposal back in the 90s during Clinton's time in office?

Normally I'd agree with you that she couldn't win, but if things carry on as they are, 2016 could be an unusual election. If the Republicans put up Ted Cruz or someone of his ilk, it opens the door for a further left candidate like Warren to win.
The Republicans will probably figure it out and field a more moderate candidate (moderate relative to some of the past they've fielded), and the Democrats will overplay their hand and put up someone who's further left because they'll say "Hey, we won two terms in a row!" And Warren, assuming it's her in this scenario, will either lose or not win nearly as convincingly as they thought, making things much harder for the party.

Lethen said:
The Republicans will probably figure it out and field a more moderate candidate (moderate relative to some of the past they've fielded), and the Democrats will overplay their hand and put up someone who's further left because they'll say "Hey, we won two terms in a row!" And Warren, assuming it's her in this scenario, will either lose or not win nearly as convincingly as they thought, making things much harder for the party.
This is pretty much what I'm expecting. But I wouldn't be too surprised if the Republicans tried another hail mary and fielded a bunch of extremists again.

What do you mean by moderate compared to some candidates in the past? Romney and McCain were fairly moderate from what I could tell.

Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Rach said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Mhmm. And it's not even something the conservative party in Canada would want :p
xD

Rach said:
What do you mean by moderate compared to some candidates in the past? Romney and McCain were fairly moderate from what I could tell.
They were, but the Republican primaries force every centrist candidate to the right. You have to pass the "Tea Party litmus test" (pro-life, anti-gay marriage, etc.) in order for you to be an acceptable candidate. Romney was a reasonable guy but 8 years of running for President in the Republican Party ruined any chance he had in a general election.

Back