Major Administrative Initiative

No. Just no.
Has your Lordship considered raising some, you know, actual reasons why not? :gentleman:
Actually... I'm technically a King, not a lord. :p

I don't want to change Euro to ZB. I much prefer IF forums and find them much nicer, good-looking and easier to use. Yes, I know, Ainur's is ZB, but thats only because I knew how to work ZB Admin CP.
What happens in Ainur stays in Ainur. :ph43r:

Otherwise, though, fair points to consider. Have you seen our test forum, though? r3n made it look pretty decent.

With regards to the military in particular, the same functionality can be achieved using thread subscriptions, which support mail notifications. The GA can set up a thread to be used exclusively for posting orders to volunteers. Whenever a new post is made in that thread, volunteers will receive an email and will be made aware that there are orders they need to execute. I think that would be effectively identical to what is done now.

That's a pretty awesome idea which [hopefully] we'll use when get around to moving
There is alreasy such a thread. Luckily for Anumia, I can always pester him on Facebook. :p As for Apollo's concerns, if this is a move motivated in large part by the desire for enhanced security, I'm sure we can all deal.

Forum security is obviously paramount, and appears to be the main driver of this change. Like Anumia, I'll miss email notifications, but I'll live.

I hope we'll be able to point the old URL to the new site, so that old friends who visit from time to time can find us more easily.

I don't want to change Euro to ZB. I much prefer IF forums and find them much nicer, good-looking and easier to use. Yes, I know, Ainur's is ZB, but thats only because I knew how to work ZB Admin CP.
Apollo, have you checked the test forum? The skin is practically identical. I have left the different fonts in forum names, because I thought they looked nice enough that we may consider keeping them. But that can be changed too.

As for easier to use, I believe it is a matter of adjustment. The two user interfaces are about 85% the same anyway.

Skizzy said:
I hope we'll be able to point the old URL to the new site, so that old friends who visit from time to time can find us more easily.
Yes, this happens automatically.

---

I want to mention that this is not just about security. There are important advantages on the user side. Swak has made a list in one of his posts in this thread:

http://z6.****************/Europeia/index....post&p=22076857

Apollo, have you checked the test forum? The skin is practically identical. I have left the different fonts in forum names, because I thought they looked nice enough that we may consider keeping them. But that can be changed too.
Hmm... I'm not to keen on the ZB Euro forum either. Like Apollo, I prefer IF, find it easier to use and parts of the test forum (specifically posts) look quite weird to me. Though the two forums are almost identical, I think the current (IF) forum is more attractive.

Hmm... I'm not to keen on the ZB Euro forum either. Like Apollo, I prefer IF, find it easier to use and parts of the test forum (specifically posts) look quite weird to me. Though the two forums are almost identical, I think the current (IF) forum is more attractive.
I tend to agree, but the security issues right now are going to make it unavoidable.

I tried looking for an add-on that would send you emails when pmed or replied to, but no luck so far.

I suppose someone could try writing one, but I'm not sure if we have anyone in Europeia with the skills to do that (perhaps r3n? Elu maybe?)
r3n is our best bet; he does all the awesome stuff that everybody loves.

I just do grunt work. :p

One think you can do in IF that you can't in ZB are forums that can only be reached via link. Although I guess this is compensated for by having an extra layer of subforums. But I did find the IF feature to be very useful.

The loss of email notifications will be a huge blow to those of us who only lurk at this point. I rely on those to respond to people almost immediately where otherwise I wouldn't respond until I check the forum--anywhere from hours to days (days being much more likely now) after the message was sent. I do prefer ZB, but I think this is a very important feature we're losing.

I would rather not lose our archived forums and reseting my post count can be compensated for.
I see this as a negative step forward towards a Europeian economy :(

I would rather not lose our archived forums and reseting my post count can be compensated for.
I see this as a negative step forward towards a Europeian economy :(
Post Count and posts will not be effected. Only the interface.

One think you can do in IF that you can't in ZB are forums that can only be reached via link. Although I guess this is compensated for by having an extra layer of subforums. But I did find the IF feature to be very useful.
Rach, I don't think this is true. Though I have not tried it myself, I have seen in other ZB forums categories that were hidden from the index and could only be reached through link.

I apologize for the delay in fixing some of the skin issues people have brought up. I will take some time this week to make these changes, and also change the fonts etc. to make the overall appearance more closely resemble IF.

Rach, I don't think this is true. Though I have not tried it myself, I have seen in other ZB forums categories that were hidden from the index and could only be reached through link.

I apologize for the delay in fixing some of the skin issues people have brought up. I will take some time this week to make these changes, and also change the fonts etc. to make the overall appearance more closely resemble IF.
Even if Rachel is right, we could easily accomplish this by just putting them all as subforums of a single forum on the main page, since unlimited nesting is allowed.

After discussing it, the administrative team has decided to move to Zeta Premium, rather than the standard Zetaboards. This will allow for PM email notifications among other things.

The expense for this service will be funded initially by r3n, who will be compensated by other members of the administrative team in varying amounts.

We hope this eases the tradition to a degree, and a bif thanks to r3n for making this investment.

HEM

Zeta Premium Information

Back