HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
Ladies and Gentlemen, good afternoon

There is a major issue that the administrative team has been discussing for quite some time. Is the invisionfree platform meeting the following needs?

(1) Of Our Community
(2) Of Our Security

Since early December, our technical administrator r3naissanc3r has brought before us a discussion to upgrade to Zetaboards. This is not a discussion we took likely, with all members of the team having opposed the conversion many many times in the past.

But things have changed, and hence the answer to the bolded question is 'No'.

Starting with security, our current platform does not afford us the type of security we need to ensure Europeia's safety within Nationstates as well as our existence as a forum in the "real world". There are many avenues in which I cannot go into detail, but for some time we have been at a disadvantage here, and our security and citizenship administrators have to work all the harder because of a technological shortcoming.

Then community. The Zetaboard format offers much more flexibility in delegating administrative and moderator power. It speeds up processes and makes our community stronger. r3naissanc3r has generally donated his time to code a skin for us that will result in very little technological or cosmetic change. A total feature list will be included in an adjacent post.

As Chief Administrator, I am happy to say that we as an administrative team have been convinced (Much like in the Film '12 Angry Men') one by one to support this change. Our opinion is unanimous, and we are presenting that opinion to the members of this community today.

Below is the link to the test forum that has been set up as a demonstration to what our forum will look like post conversion (aside from the...actual content being there of course)

http://w11.zetaboards.com/europeia_test/index/

I will now take any questions you may have.

Feature List (cited from r3n):

- properly working search function;
- being able to query all of a member's posts (not just topics);
- joinable groups (no longer will we have to change the damned Assembly or JM usergroups ourselves, the heads of those bodies can do it themselves without being admins);
- much larger control over the forum code, which means much greater customization options;
- much better management of moderators;
- no limitations on levels of subforums;
- proper support by Zathyrus.

*is confused*

Is this a platform migration, or skin/theme code changes that will make this forum look like a Zetaboards forum?

There are two pre-registered accounts on the test forum you can use to check stuff and post around:

Ordinary Member 1
Ordinary Member 2

The password to both is:

watergate

Regarding skinning, the transition is not yet 100% complete. Some things have been left to their default setting intentionally (for instance, font stylings), as they are in my opinion decent-looking alternatives that may be worth keeping in the final version of the ZB skin.

Depending on the feedback we get from members, our timeline is to have the issue settled by early March 2013. I would appreciate it if during this month members could examine the test forum and report any issues they have (technical, skinning, aesthetical, etc.), to see if they can be addressed one way or the other.

*is confused*

Is this a platform migration, or skin/theme code changes that will make this forum look like a Zetaboards forum?
Elias, it's about upgrading the current forum to ZetaBoards. Fully upgrading, not just making it look like ZB.

Also, the test forum is just so that people can see what this forum will look like once upgraded. We will not be moving to a new forum.

*is confused*

Elias, it's about upgrading the current forum to ZetaBoards. Fully upgrading, not just making it look like ZB.

Also, the test forum is just so that people can see what this forum will look like once upgraded. We will not be moving to a new forum.
Righto, the old switcheroo from InvisionFree->Zetaboards is what's going on, then? There is no need to register on a new forum, whine about post counts, etc.? :p

If I recall correctly, both the aforementioned platforms are owned in principle by the same overarching company, so the only real change we will (eventually) see is the URL changing from invisionfree to zetaboards and possibly a server shift?

Elias said:
Righto, the old switcheroo from InvisionFree->Zetaboards is what's going on, then? There is no need to register on a new forum, whine about post counts, etc.? tongue.gif
Correct.

Elias said:
If I recall correctly, both the aforementioned platforms are owned in principle by the same overarching company, so the only real change we will (eventually) see is the URL changing from invisionfree to zetaboards and possibly a server shift?
The overall forum interface is going to change, to that used by the ZetaBoards platform. The rest are correct.

Will it do that annoying Zetaboards thing where 10 pages down the line the first post on page 10 is the first post of the topic?

Will it do that annoying Zetaboards thing where 10 pages down the line the first post on page 10 is the first post of the topic?
You can switch that feature off forum by forum.
:eek:

Literally my face when I read this. Why doesn't anyone do that?

R3n did you want us to start noting and posting any skinning problems we find or to give it a bit and then try to break it?

Vinage, please go ahead. A few of them I am aware of, as as I said the transition is not done yet. But there is no harm in having them reported by other people who notice them.

I wonder though, would it perhaps be better to have a separate thread where people report ZB issues? That way, we can keep this thread for discussion without clogging it with lists of issues people post.

If you separate it out feel free to drag this post with it :p

Anyway on the profile pages the majority of the "maintitle" divClass is broken with the Euro' flag appearing in a few locations when on a profile

It depends. I think March 2013 is the very latest, though I'd prefer if we were there by mid-Febuary. I'll be leaning heavily on r3n's technical assessment and the readiness of our community before I "opt in".

Back