Major Administrative Initiative

It depends. I think March 2013 is the very latest, though I'd prefer if we were there by mid-Febuary. I'll be leaning heavily on r3n's technical assessment and the readiness of our community before I "opt in".
GRACIAS, SEÑOR HEM! :lol:

Get rid of that first post on every page thing for every part of the forums.

As long as it doesn't look as stupid as most ZB forums look skinwise....

*RAGES AT R3N*

I officially Do Not like this change.

*sighs melodramatically*

:p

I'm glad to see that many of you see this conversion as we Admins do, which in no small part is due to r3n's amazing work converting our skin to make it look just as great (better) as the skin here, enabling us to make use of other features that we gain without the skin being an issue.

Pointed out by r3n:

- a working search function;
- being able to query all of a member's posts (not just topics);
- better security features for admins;
- joinable groups (e.g. so citizens can sign up for the Citizens' Assembly and be approved by the Chairman, without needing to make an admin request);
- larger control over the forum code, r3n tells me gives us lots more options to customise;
- much better management of moderators;
- no limitations on levels of subforums (although it is imperative that the Admins strictly control nesting, which clutters and complicates the forum);
-proper support by Zathyrus
- native support for the shoutbox

Here are my own notes on Zetaboards:
- More sophisticated File Manager (i.e. image repository)
- Ability to make 'websites' in html - would be useful for IRC/Euro Stats type work
- Avatar Gallery (for non-regular members)
- Users can choose themes
- Wider array of native BBcode, including embedding youtube videos
- Name Change Request function - users can lodge a request which then just needs Admin approval from the Admin CP; less work for everyone
- Custom profile fields
- Autotools (e.g. pin and close, etc.)
- Multiquote (SO MUCH EASIER to reply to multiple people at once)
- Support for footnotes
- Tagging for Staff-only viewing (members can post and have part of the post only viewable to admins)
- Native spoiler and list support

---
Get rid of that first post on every page thing for every part of the forums.

What is this that everyone is complaining about?

It's rather annoying, but as has been pointed out, it can be disabled. It can even be selectively disabled per forum (I can think of some forums where it'd be useful).

Ah, thanks. That makes more sense.

I get it now. So the Admins can just change all the settings so this isn't an issue.

I am glad to see we are moving to a ZetaBoard. As an Admin on an IF and a ZB board, I much prefer ZB's Admin CP. It is much easier to work in. I also like a lot of features ZetaBoards offers that Invisionfree dosent.

^sighs...

Anyway, I've never liked the idea but with what's been presented, I'm in total agreement with the admin team.

^sighs...

Anyway, I've never liked the idea but with what's been presented, I'm in total agreement with the admin team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

It's why I use the tongue smilie (emiticon) ^_^
You're not sarcastic or snarky or any other word that dresses it up. You're a negative attention whore.
Oh yes, I just love the attention :p

I mean, let's be honest you have trouble with humour. Surely, you wouldn't be arrogant enough to trust your judgement?

Failure, according to Henry Ford CSP, was in his opinion simply a way to start again, but better. Your failure to recognize humour and reactions are priceless. You're the gift that keeps on giving :)

^sighs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

It's why I use the tongue smilie (emiticon) ^_^
You're not sarcastic or snarky or any other word that dresses it up. You're a negative attention whore.
Oh yes, I just love the attention :p

I mean, let's be honest you have trouble with humour. Surely, you wouldn't be arrogant enough to trust your judgement?

Failure, according to Henry Ford CSP, was in his opinion simply a way to start again, but better. Your failure to recognize humour and reactions are priceless. You're the gift that keeps on giving :)
I find humor in your sense of self-importance every time you post, honey.

This announcement makes me sad only because I know r3n put a lot of efforts into sprucing up these forums recently!

A lot of that work carries over. For the skin for instance, in many cases all I had to do was copy the CSS and html code I wrote for here. IRC, stats pages etc. will be transferred almost as are.

A lot of the other custom code we have installed is for replicating functionality that ZB provides natively, the spoiler tags and shoutbox for instance. It'll be a relief not having to maintain that myself (especially given that two of the three major browsers are using a rolling release circle with potentially-bug-creating updates every few weeks).

Having been on a number of Zetaboards fora as an Admin and as a peon, I must say that I'm not a fan of ZB's. My perception is that ZB's are a boon to the power elite for many of the reasons previously mentioned, but for a bottom feeder, such as myself based on my experience with them, they are

For one, I rely on email notifications of PM's. As far as I know, this in not available in ZB's. Also, I use the "My Assistant" feature here which shows me all of the current new and active threads. The ZB "Portal" only shows about 9, I believe, active threads which are constantly updated as new posts are made. This fact necessitates one to have to manually search the entire forum to keep abreast of everything that is happening on an extremely busy board such as we have for Europeia.

My perception, my reality, but it means nothing here.

Also, I use the "My Assistant" feature here which shows me all of the current new and active threads. The ZB "Portal" only shows about 9, I believe, active threads which are constantly updated as new posts are made. This fact necessitates one to have to manually search the entire forum to keep abreast of everything that is happening on an extremely busy board such as we have for Europeia.
For this, you can use the "Active Topics" link, which in ZB is placed at the bottom of the forum, right above the area where you select forum theme/skin. It does the same as the utility provided by "My Assistant" in IF.

For one, I rely on email notifications of PM's.  As far as I know, this in not available in ZB's. 
I admit I am not sure about this either, as I've never used it. Anyone here know with certainty?

Back