Skin updates and requests

Just noticed that the Preferences and Inbox rollover menus on the top right are practically unreadable in the Euro Bright theme (dark green on dark blue). I hardly ever use the menus, but it bothers me knowing they are there

Thanks for reporting this. I am aware of this and a couple of other changes that still need to be made to the bright skin. I will try to make them as RL work permits.

Indi Greyjoy said:
Looks good. Question: why is the font in the reply box and the font of posted posts different?

Edit: clarified question.
This has been fixed now.

I also made some other changes to the skin. The most important one is that it now has a maximum size of 1440px. So, if you are viewing it on a huge monitor, it will no longer be as wide as it used to be.

Once again, any comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

I wish the grey outer parts on the Euro bright was a bit darker, maybe just a few pixles but that is just a preference for high contrasts :p

Elias Greyjoy said:
If possible, I would suggest darkening the logos in the top right corner.

Siscitatia said:
Just noticed that the Preferences and Inbox rollover menus on the top right are practically unreadable in the Euro Bright theme (dark green on dark blue). I hardly ever use the menus, but it bothers me knowing they are there

As you may have noticed, I fixed both of this (very) longstanding issues some time last week.

The new dark-color icons are of slightly lower resolution than their white versions in the classic skin. I will replace them with versions of the same resolution some time later this week. But for now, you can comment on the current version.

For the inbox and preferences drop-down menus, I used the same color theme (teal with white borders and font) as the first row of links in the header. I did this for consistency. I am not in love with the result aesthetically, but I can't think of a much better alternative either.

Please let me know of your thoughts.

Euro Bright certainly looks better now, with the newly-updated dark-blue icons at the top. However, I still prefer Euro Classic, which is darker (yes, Euro Bright is just... Too bright) and has a nicer font type :p

Thanks by the way.

Nice. I noticed the change a while back but wasn't sure when it has been implemented. Looks much better now.

I replaced the top icons with their high-resolution versions.

I also installed slightly gray versions of the icons, and used them to make hover variants of the various blue buttons on both the bright and classic skins. To see what I mean, try hovering over the "quote" button: you will see that the text changes to a slightly darker hue. Then hover over the "go to top" button, and you will see that the same happens with the icon.

Finally, I rewrote a considerable part of both skins, and in particular the code dealing with buttons and icons, so that the two are more compatible (easier maintenance, easier propagation of changes from one skin to the other), and so that the forum markup is of better quality (faster loading, better cross-compiler compatibility). It is likely that I may have introduced bugs in the process of this large-scale rewrite. So if you notice anything odd with either the bright or classic skins, please post below so that I can fix it.

As an additional change, in both skins I editted the appearance of some remaining gray buttons (shoutbox, preview, bbtag buttons, etc.) to match that of the edit, quote, etc. buttons. Again, let me know if that are any issues caused by this change.

I like the new buttons! I have just noticed though that in Euro Classic, the Inbox is out of alignment with the "Report CP" and "Preferences" drop-down menus in the top-right.

I was going to come in here throwing shit and to bitch about the buttons but as I started typing I'm unsure how I feel. Do I have issues with change? Is that indicative of a larger psychological dilemma? Guys, I'm falling apart over here.

Anumia said:
I like the new buttons! I have just noticed though that in Euro Classic, the Inbox is out of alignment with the "Report CP" and "Preferences" drop-down menus in the top-right.
This has now been fixed on both skins.

I also did several edits to both skins. Some of them were small visual corrections similar to the above. A good part of them was to improve the rendering of the forum on small displays. Though not (yet) perfectly mobile-accessible, the forum should now render better on mobile phones.

As always, there is a chance that I may have broken things. If you notice anything out of place, please report it here.

I made a couple of changes to both skins.

The first has to do with the code producing the logo at the top-left corner. The visual appearance is the same, but the new code is better from an accessibility perspective (e.g., screen readers), and better for search engines. Most of you should not notice a change.

The second is related to the drop-down menus in the header (regional info, executive government, etc.). I added a small delay of 0.5s, so that the drop-down menus only appear after you have been hovering the corresponding links for that amount of time and not instantaneously. The reason is to address the following: I very frequently need to move my cursor to the top of the screen, e.g. to do some browser or to click the header and go to the index page. As it crosses the drop-down menus, those appear and disappear instantaneously, which is annoying. I know that many of our members routinely use the header to switch to the index, so I would imagine this annoys them too. With the 0.5s delay I added, this no longer happens. The delay has been added using CSS, so it should work even if you have javascript disabled.

As usual, if you have any comments or suggestions, or if I have broken something while making these changes, please let me know.

P.S. I also renamed and pinned this thread, to more accurately reflect how it has been used for the last several months.

Someone pointed out issues with the signature test skin and the primary list of links in the header.

The signature test skin was no longer a fixed width skin. I'm not sure what caused this (ZB upgrade?), but it's fixed now.

The link list was becoming very crowded, causing issues when viewed from small monitors. I made some quick edits to the link descriptions to save some horizontal space.

I edited both the bright and classic skins to change the appearance of the "Notice" boxes that appear right below the navigation lines, after performing actions like editing or deleting posts etc.

Their previous appearance was the same as in the default ZetaBoards skin. This was a leftover from several years ago, when we transitioned to ZB. I have now made them appear the same as quotes, spoilers, and all other text boxes.

I have made one more change in the classic skin, to fix another leftover from the default ZB skin: the appearance of the page indicator in multi-page threads. It is now the same as the various other blue buttons. This had already been fixed in the bright skin a while ago.

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Back