Skin updates and requests

r3naissanc3r

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
I took some time to create a new skin for the forum. You can access it by selecting "Euro alt" from the skin selector at the bottom of the forum.

It is not complete yet, but it is at the stage where it's complete enough so that I can ask for people's feedback. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Depending on people's opinions, I hope to eventually make the new skin the default for the forum. The old skin will remain in the menu for people who prefer to stick to it.

I like the feel and look for it - very clean. A few changes I'd suggest:

- Skyline background colour to be 'Europeia Blue' [Blue we use everywhere else]

Also I love that Skyline image

- Personally I'm not keen on the dove-grey background colour and miss the blue.

Also the links at the top with the Government all connect to the Law Index

I actually like it. It looks much cleaner. And the header is awesome. Much more compacted. I will be using this permanently.

EDIT: I'm sure you're on top of this, but in the new skin, the regional information, executive government, etc. headers all link to the law index.

Vinage said:

Dark blue on dark black? flail.gif

Though the posting area seems...wider. Is that an accurate description? I don't mind it, but I have noticed.

R3nny R3n R3n, some signatures aren't working with the alt skin.

If possible, I would suggest darkening the logos in the top right corner.

EDIT: Also, in going through some posts, the tag isn't working in places.

Lethen said:
Vinage said:

Dark blue on dark black? flail.gif
Worth a try! Or changing the colour on the left hand RoE image to the same pale blue.

Anumia said:
Not a fan. Contrast is too high for one thing.
Do you mean in posts or in general? In posts, I was contemplating making the font the same grey tone as everywhere else (you can look at the fonts surrounding the post to see what it's like), but I changed it to exactly black because I thought it was better readability.

PASD said:
Too....Much...White. :p
Yes, that's the point of it really. I tried to keep it clean and sleek.

Vinage said:
I like the two colors in the header! I think their contrast is aestethically pleasant. I stole the idea from Economist: http://www.economist.com/ . But if people prefer it all blue, that's easily done.

One thing to keep in mind is that this new skin is almost exclusively CSS. So, we can very easily change almost every single visual element on the forum.

- Personally I'm not keen on the dove-grey background colour and miss the blue.
What I was thinking actually is also making a second version of the same skin, with a dark background color. Either that, or having an extra field in users' profile where they can pick whatever background color they want; that would require using javascript, though, which I'd like to avoid.

Also the links at the top with the Government all connect to the Law Index
Ah right, sorry, I forgot to swap in their new code. The way they will work is that, as you mouse over those fields, a drop-down menu will appear with a list of the information that used to be in the old header.

Elias Greyjoy said:
I actually like it. It looks much cleaner. And the header is awesome. Much more compacted. I will be using this permanently.
I've also switched, and from a much earlier stage :p .

EDIT: I'm sure you're on top of this, but in the new skin, the regional information, executive government, etc. headers all link to the law index.
Yeah, see response to Vinage.

Elias Greyjoy said:
Though the posting area seems...wider. Is that an accurate description? I don't mind it, but I have noticed.
Everything has got wider. The forum went from 75% to 90% screen width.

If you mean wider as in, in terms of width to height ratio of the input box, yes that's an oversight. I'll fix it.

Also, typing this post now, I dislike the font I selected for the input area. I will need to find some other font.

Elias Greyjoy said:
If possible, I would suggest darkening the logos in the top right corner.

Yeah, I plan to make them the same color as the fonts. Haven't bothered uploading the recolored logos though. I also wanted to see whether I could replace them with CSS.

EDIT: Also, in going through some posts, the tag isn't working in places.
Lethen said:
R3nny R3n R3n, some signatures aren't working with the alt skin.
Ugh, right. It appears the new skin breaks all of the custom bbtag javascript code. I'll need to debug that.

All most excellent. Thank you for the updates.

I would also suggest changing the link tag color. As is, it's very hard to distinguish between links and non-links when side by side. This is a link, for example.

What I was thinking actually is also making a second version of the same skin, with a dark background color. Either that, or having an extra field in users' profile where they can pick whatever background color they want; that would require using javascript, though, which I'd like to avoid.

Agreed! That could get messy code-wise

As for the lighter blue behind the skyline - I think it's the similarity to the forum main background that turns me off. On the Economist site the colours are high-contrast whereas here it isn't. Also could that skyline be a link to the forum home page like the RoE text pwease? I keep clicking it by accident

Elias Greyjoy said:
I would also suggest changing the link tag color. As is, it's very hard to distinguish between links and non-links when side by side. This is a link, for example.
I changed the non-link text in post areas to be the same grayish as everywhere else in the forum. Do you think it's still hard to distinguish?

Vinage said:
As for the lighter blue behind the skyline - I think it's the similarity to the forum main background that turns me off. On the Economist site the colours are high-contrast whereas here it isn't.
I'll make a few laternatives and see what people think, once the rest of the more important changes are done.

Also could that skyline be a link to the forum home page like the RoE text pwease? I keep clicking it by accident
It was like that originally, but for some reason I thought it'd be better if only the RoE is a link. I'll change that back.

r3naissanc3r said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
I changed the non-link text in post areas to be the same grayish as everywhere else in the forum. Do you think it's still hard to distinguish?
Yes. If anything, the link should be a different color completely, in my mind. This is the color used on the NS forums (#008000).

The issue comes from using different monitors, which render color differently. When I look at the forum from my work monitor (which is also what I used for adjusting the tones), links are much more conspicuous than when I read the forum from my laptop. The same applies for the slight grays in the various box areas in the forum layout; everything looks exactly white from my laptop.

I'll adjust them to something better later when I work on this again. Having said that, I will probably still not go for such a contrasting color; most likely I will just make links more blue than they currently are.

On the contrast issue: lots of -white- or close to white light colours, with some stark black ones...too much white in general. :p

Back