Presidential Debate ENN Liveblog

HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
Debate started around 10:15 EST, Opening statement commenced with, let's get to the meat!

HEM @ 10:20pm EST: Swakistek asks the first question about mega alliances. I can just see Anumia feebly yelling profanities from his decrepit body. Let's see what the candidates will have to say.

HEM @ 10:25pm EST: McEntire harkens back to his days in the Commonwealth, perhaps underlining his long history and experience in NS. Underlining point, Mac says no to Mega alliances or federations.

HEM @ 10:27pm EST: Elias makes an interesting point about how there can be short term benefits to mega alliances. He does not, however, sell the idea that the short run can outweight the long run imo.

I'm not completely sure if he would support or oppose Europeian involvement in or with superalliances.

HEM @ 10:30pm EST: CSP underlines the importance of a stable and unchanging Europeian foreign policy. Superalliances seem to be a fleeting thing to CSP, while a strong and independent Europeia is his main goal.

Strong, but what if the superalliances become a larger part of the NS world? At some point, will we have to interact with them directly?

EDIT: And CSP brings up the short term nature of his vision to Elias directly. Elias maintains that engaging with superalliances does not change any bottom lines in Europeian FoPo.

HEM @ 10:30pm EST: Mac is back to the Commonwealth :p Might want to pull Verteger and King Charles into this...

HEM @ 10:35pm EST: What's interesting to note is the stark differences between the Commonwealth and other international superalliances. While the loss of identity that McEntire keeps bringing up is still valid, many of these superalliances do not have a unifying executive figure as the Commonwealth did. So while the points may still be valid about trying to cobble together a "camel", there may be less dysfunctional models than the Commonwealth.

Rach @ 10:36pm EST: I don't feel that independence and super alliances are exclusive to each-other. You could have a super alliance which respected those values.

Mac brings up the commonwealth, a bad example in my opinion. He also brings up camels, did you know that they originated from North America during the ice age? Albeit harrier. Their hump was for warmth.

HEM @ 10:36pm EST: Elias is faltering on the benefits of superalliances. He is making it seem like getting b-roll on the news network or some cool "face time" is the sum of benefit to committing ourselves to a broader network of regions.

HEM @ 10:40pm EST: McEntire seems to be coming out against foreign aid as well as superalliances.

"Why in the world would we share our resources when we're already doing so well? All we can do is bring others up, this doesn't raise our stock." - McEntire

Good? Bad? You decide ENN viewers!

HEM @ 10:42pm EST: Question Two, it's on Culture! How to make it moar better?!

Rach @ 10:41pm EST: This debate has much more spark than the one with the VPs. They all want to win and all want to impose themselves on this debate. Elias and McEntire support the notion of Europeia creating super alliances, the former in particular wanting to use it for newer regions. I'd be careful about that, one only has to look at how courting TUF turned out originally. CSP opposes the idea of a super alliance totally. I don't think I support such a hard stance either.

HEM @ 10:45pm EST: McEntire starts the question, not by answering it, but by attacking his opponent.

However, he brings up an interesting point about having culture encompass the entire region -- good and bad quality of work. Unfortunately, as interesting as the point is, it still doesn't answer the question.

HEM @ 10:47pm EST: Elias has just said what the last sixteen Presidents have said. How?!

The EBC is becoming a red headed step child, quality roleplay is a pipe man's dream. How exactly are we going to strengthen culture through our weakest areas without a real plan?

Swak @ 1:49 pm AEST: I deliberately saved some of the more contentious issues for the Presidential debate, but I do agree that these three seem a lot more fiery than the Vice Presidents.

HEM @ 10:49pm EST: CSP gets points for realizing there is a problem, but "professionalizing" the forum seems to almost be an admin issues more than a political issue. I'd be interested in hearing more on this.

HEM @ 10:52pm EST: Elias is asking some questions now, preliminary reports have Swakistek bagged and gagged in some shack in east Africa.

"As an open question - some have spoken to the ineffectiveness of RP in Europeia. Do either of you think this is rectifiable?" - Elias Greyjoy

Rach @ 10:53pm EST: Mac says you can't force people to write quality work.... I disagree... you totally could. But it might not be such a good idea.

Back