Panel Discussion Reaction

I have no idea why a candidate would share these details with the general public. We don't want to see how the sausage is made.
Particularly when the sausage is a backhanded compliment to a potential up-and-comer. :p

modernsin said:
I have no idea why a candidate would share these details with the general public. We don't want to see how the sausage is made.
Particularly when the sausage is a backhanded compliment to a potential up-and-comer. :p
This was actually a legit political gaffe.

HEM said:
modernsin said:
This was actually a legit political gaffe.
We had multiple people decline the position. Admitting that is somehow is incredulous to you all?

Drecq asked multiple people to be his running mate before Elias. Elias was at best the 5th best person for the job he could think. Drecq then told people that Elias was down the list of people he'd want to run with him.

Doesn't that strike you as a bit weird and mean? :p

If you assume that's how it went down, sure, but it didn't. I first suggested daproben, thinking Mouse would be busy. Drecq had a few more candidates he wanted to touch base with, so I deferred to his ideas. I'm glad we landed on the candidate we did. It's not like we ranked ten people from the get go and went down a line.

I just don't think it's a politically smart thing to say nor is it what a good boss would say. You never want your boss to go out there and say that the people they hired weren't the best. It's just unnecessary. Especially when these are the people you are picking to run the region, people want the best. You have a lot of potential Elias, but saying unnecessary things like that hurt both you and your fellow running mates chances of victory.

Would you have felt better being in the dark and assuming we hadn't offered Mouse the job after her stellar performance? I think you're all making a big stink out of nothing, but if that one point sticks so badly in your craw, I won't change that no matter what I say.

Someone should write a manual so prospective candidates know the hard line between not talking enough and talking too much. I think everyone would benefit. :rolleyes:

modernsin said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
It's not like we ranked ten people from the get go and went down a line.
Elias Greyjoy said:
we literally went down a line of candidates
lol?
THIS IS LITERALLY ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Elias Greyjoy said:
Would you have felt better being in the dark and assuming we hadn't offered Mouse the job after her stellar performance? I think you're all making a big stink out of nothing, but if that one point sticks so badly in your craw, I won't change that no matter what I say.

Someone should write a manual so prospective candidates know the hard line between not talking enough and talking too much. I think everyone would benefit. :rolleyes:
We're just pointing out a fairly naive (though understandable) slip-up, and highlighting an important point every high-profile politician should keep in mind, which is that actions have consequences. No shit, right? Okay, more specifically: every little thing you say can and will be held under a microscope when you're running for a big-ass office like this. That's just how it is. I'm sure you know this, so don't get all defensive. Especially when your public pedigree as of late has been to criticize many aspects of the current President's administration. It sucks when the tables are turned, but don't act like you wouldn't make a "big stink" if the candidate was someone else and you saw the opportunity. :D

Now I can't even defend myself without being labeled defensive? Tough crowd. :rolleyes:

Except I really don't see the harm in such a full account. And while I'm more than positive my recent print has placed a target on my back, this is most definitely one of the more petty things I thought I would come under fire for. If that's the highlight for folks, not the experience or plans for the future our ticket brings, that's out of my control.

You say he's your first choice then right there after mention he wasn't at the top of your list and don't expect someone to point that out? :p

See, you're trying to blow this up to be a bigger issue than it is (ironically). It really is a minor slip-up, but it is a slip-up; it's something that shouldn't have been said. You're welcome to disagree about that, but I don't think you'll convince anyone that admitting daproben wasn't your first (or second or third) choice for MoI was a good idea. I don't think you can twist the logic of it that far. It was a bad move. But unless you want to keep insisting it wasn't (by telling us that you're glad you got your way and Drecq didn't?), no one will deny it's a minor issue, and certainly not an election-deciding one.

Post all the eye-rolly emotes you want, but they're not going to make the issue disappear either.

modernsin said:
it's something that shouldn't have been said.
And that's where we differ.

I think explaining how we arrived at that choice is a critical component to our cabinet composition and an answer to a question that would be inevitably posed at us, and already has been, to a degree.

But I wouldn't want to inflate the issue more than I (apparently?) already have, so I best not try to clarify anything else, right?

Rach said:
So Elias, if you became Vice-President. How would you handle greater criticism?
:rimshot:

Elias Greyjoy said:
modernsin said:
it's something that shouldn't have been said.
And that's where we differ.
Again, portraying it as a good move is a tough sell. Does the last page of comments not indicate that to you? I've read your explanation. Moreover, I understand it, thanks to my enviable reading comprehension skills. But I don't buy it. Good luck selling other people on it, sincerely. But myself and others have already dismissed it as bad logic, and in this game, public perception is everything.

Back