Panel Discussion Reaction

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Feel free to offer your own reaction to this edition of Panel Discussion here.

@Cormac in regards to your last post before this. Do you feel that perhaps making the CA into a lower house of the legislative government would be something that could perhaps increase political activity?

To better explain this perhaps, the CA would be debate the same laws as the Senate, but it would be open to all citizens, not like the US Congress, but a similar idea. It would have a lot more members, and it would pass the same laws, but it would enable all citizens to participate without compromising the integrity of the senate

@Skizzy&PhDre: On my foreign policy that disquiets the two of you so, let me soothe your fears: You campaign in poetry and govern in prose. If you want a finger you better ask for the whole hand, arm, shoulder and half the upper torso. I am not a defender and I have no plans to sign a Treaty with the FRA or invite Unibot to a clambake in the Goldenblock. But I will be talking with moderate defenders, especially newcomers to the game (who arent yet entrenched) but also not so newcomers. Where you fall on the R/D spectrum is a big deal in NS foreign policy, it isnt the only deal. On that front I plan to do what I promised in my platform, talk to them, not what people are reading into it.

Dr. Yuri Razhtigr said:
@Cormac in regards to your last post before this. Do you feel that perhaps making the CA into a lower house of the legislative government would be something that could perhaps increase political activity?

To better explain this perhaps, the CA would be debate the same laws as the Senate, but it would be open to all citizens, not like the US Congress, but a similar idea. It would have a lot more members, and it would pass the same laws, but it would enable all citizens to participate without compromising the integrity of the senate
I haven't often seen bicameral legislatures that are successful in NationStates. I don't think the current system is working well for the region though. Another idea I've seen floated -- I apologize to whomever proposed it, I don't remember now -- is having the CA as the only legislature, but having an elected panel of members responsible for things like confirmations, treaty ratifications, etc., so that those particular matters move along more quickly and efficiently.

A radically different approach would be removing the CA's legislative component from the CA Act altogether and directing the CA toward some other activity -- possibly the World Assembly, possibly something like an RP legislature which I've seen in a few other regions. We can't and shouldn't want to stop citizens from proposing legislation for the Senate's consideration, but removing this as an official function of the CA would encourage those interested in legislating to run for the Senate and would probably force the Senate to be more active than is currently the case.

I don't know which of these approaches is the right one, if either, but I do think this is a discussion the region should be seriously having.

Drecq said:
or invite Unibot to a clambake in the Goldenblock.
This could be fun though. :lol:

FTR: With our Interior nominee, we literally went down a line of candidates who didn't want the position until arriving at daproben, who was my first choice for the position due to his activity in the Ministry and familiarity with the AMs therein.

He was your first choice, but you had to go down a list of people who didn't want the job before getting to him? :p

There were a couple of people I offered it to first. Mouse declined, so I asked Mouse who she would most like to see run the Ministry after her. Aside from those I also asked one or two people I would have liked to see in the position myself (including my opponent). daproben was simply the only one to actually say yes. But that doesn't mean I think he is going to be bad at the job. I have full faith in his capability and will personally be working closely with him to make sure that the MoI is kept running at 110%.

@Dre: Elias will be involved in the EBC. He'll be my VP, so he'll be involved in every area of the government. Doesn't mean he has to run the EBC. Also, I do have some executive experience. 2 Terms as VP isn't nothing. You ask for more the only people who will satisfy are people who've been President before.

It's always nice for those who weren't asked to know they aren't on the list. :p

PhDre said:
Cormac said:
So I expect either candidate is likely to face some political challenges fairly soon after election, and I think the degree to which this election has focused on Cabinet nominees has reaffirmed that the Europeian tradition of not revealing one's Cabinet during the campaign should make a return in the next presidential election.
I will agree it's a bit of a mystery why either candidate posted their prospective Cabinet as both have matches that will probably do more to hurt than help their respective campaigns.
I posed this question in the shoutbox a few days ago, and you argued that the Cabinet reveals were a result of accusations of "timidity" being thrown around at the time. You called Drecq out for his comments in the first debate thread, which led to him publishing his Cabinet, and Kraken followed suit in order to (I assume) not get accused of "timidity" himself.

It's an odd choice, I agree, which is why I was wondering about it earlier. It does seem to have backfired a bit on both candidates, as it usually did in the past. Makes the platform threads more interesting to read though, with all those added variables suddenly thrown into the mix. :D

Yes well if people admitted their arguments regarding timidity were bad instead of trying to one up me, they wouldn't have this problem on their hands now would they. :p

Elias Greyjoy said:
FTR: With our Interior nominee, we literally went down a line of candidates who didn't want the position until arriving at daproben, who was my first choice for the position due to his activity in the Ministry and familiarity with the AMs therein.
So Daproben wasn't Drecqs first choice? :p

This is so weird flail.gif

Rach said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
So Daproben wasn't Drecqs first choice? :p

This is so weird flail.gif
I have no idea why a candidate would share these details with the general public. We don't want to see how the sausage is made.

Back