Panel Discussion Reaction

Which is fine. I was addressing a concern about a particular appointment in our Cabinet structure. I'm sorry the answer doesn't rub you the right way or that you don't buy it, but that doesn't change the answer. *shrug*

I think the greater issue is the end result, not the process. If daproben is our best candidate for MoI, that's what we have to work with I guess.

I think he's proven through some stellar AM work that he's more than capable of running the Ministry at a high level and that he has the requisite knowledge to do so.

But seriously - ITT: Europeia crucifies Elias for telling the truth after lambasting him for "manipulating" SC votes by not being forthcoming with the truth. :lol:

daproben was Elias' first choice. He wasn't my first choice but he was my final choice and that says more than enough. With Mouse a possibility for MoI I wouldnt have been my first choice and Im me. Then I asked some people Mouse recommended because she is by far the most familiar with her Ministry. If you cant get your first choice you try to get their first choice. daproben was asked after several people declined. but I wouldn't have asked him at all if I didn't have faith in his capability to fulfill the job.

Elias Greyjoy said:
I think he's proven through some stellar AM work that he's more than capable of running the Ministry at a high level and that he has the requisite knowledge to do so.

But seriously - ITT: Europeia crucifies Elias for telling the truth after lambasting him for "manipulating" SC votes by not being forthcoming with the truth. :lol:
"crucifies" You're indulging a caricature, my son.

Common-Sense Politics said:
Elias Greyjoy said:

Let's go with flays then.

Elias Greyjoy said:
Elias Greyjoy said:

Well done, well done. :p

As an offshoot to Dre and Skizzy's answers to the most recent question, I'd like to see their thoughts on the following as a follow-up: do you think that the success of the GAP has created a somewhat complacent outlook vis-a-vis foreign policy? By that, I mean this - I think most people agree, at this point, that altogether scraping the GAP isn't an option. Knowing that, is that the focal point now rather than a new foreign policy?

Elias Greyjoy said:
As an offshoot to Dre and Skizzy's answers to the most recent question, I'd like to see their thoughts on the following as a follow-up: do you think that the success of the GAP has created a somewhat complacent outlook vis-a-vis foreign policy? By that, I mean this - I think most people agree, at this point, that altogether scraping the GAP isn't an option. Knowing that, is that the focal point now rather than a new foreign policy?
That's a great question, Elias. I don't think the GAP should be the primary focus of our foreign policy. It was never meant to be and anyone who asserts that it should be isn't someone we want calling shots. I'm not suggesting though that the candidates should be putting forth for examination a "new" foreign policy but rather new ideas to accomplish the existing goals.

Elias Greyjoy said:
Elias Greyjoy said:

Let's. :violentgun:

modernsin said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
Elias Greyjoy said:

Are...are you gonna flay me with a shotgun? :p

Elias Greyjoy said:
modernsin said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
Elias Greyjoy said:

I think this is what you needed -

Elias Greyjoy said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
modernsin said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
Elias Greyjoy said:

You're even criticizing the method of flaying while you're being flayed? You're the worst :p

modernsin said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
modernsin said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
Elias Greyjoy said:

You're even criticizing the method of flaying while you're being flayed? You're the worst :p
Hey, if I'm gonna be flayed, at least do it properly. Nothing but the finest leather. :p

Elias Greyjoy said:
That's a great question, Elias. I don't think the GAP should be the primary focus of our foreign policy. It was never meant to be and anyone who asserts that it should be isn't someone we want calling shots. I'm not suggesting though that the candidates should be putting forth for examination a "new" foreign policy but rather new ideas to accomplish the existing goals.
Let's create a fraction -- the numerator will be the number of hours spent next term on GAP, and the denominator will be the number of hours spent on all FA-related projects (including GAP).

What will that fraction be? What should it be?

I'll be shocked if it's less than two-thirds, unless the next President changes course and scraps the GAP. It's a labor-intensive project.

That doesn't necessarily mean the GAP will be (or should be) our strategic focus.

Elias Greyjoy said:
I agree. Anyone who thinks that the G.A.P. is to be the core of our foreign policy for the future hasn't been paying attention. You might say it is the core of our foreign policy vis-a-vis new and developing regions, but not the overarching foreign policy. This has been an -expansion- of existing policy, not a change in direction.

Skizzy Grey said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
Let's create a fraction -- the numerator will be the number of hours spent next term on GAP, and the denominator will be the number of hours spent on all FA-related projects (including GAP).

What will that fraction be? What should it be?

I'll be shocked if it's less than two-thirds, unless the next President changes course and scraps the GAP. It's a labor-intensive project.

That doesn't necessarily mean the GAP will be (or should be) our strategic focus.
Don't forget that there's a whole Ministry for dealing with the G.A.P., and another, senior, to deal with foreign affairs as a whole. It might be labour-intensive but I don't think it will be labour-draining, since we have that division. (yay fractions? :p )

And if Krak wins, there will be a third Cabinet-level official charged with the communications aspect of foreign policy. But of those three ministers, the Cultivation minister will require the most help. And because we tend to expect our Presidents to be gap-fillers, I would expect the President to spend more time on that ministry than on the others.

We're sort of at an in-between point where it's too late to back away from this project (the region has made high-profile commitments), but too early to judge its success. So I'm not arguing that this state of affairs is good or bad -- it just is. And there's not much the next President can do about it, so maybe we should give the candidates a pass for not articulating inspiring foreign policy visions.

I don't think this is a huge departure from the norm -- most Administrations devote a large share of their energies to carrying out commitments made by their predecessors. Which, again, is why I think vision is overrated -- give me execution over vision any day.

I'm not sure that the President would -need- to spend more energy in Foreign Cultivation than Foreign Affairs; Drecq in particular may wish to but that does not make it a necessity. I think it depends on what they want their personal focus to be: Lethen and I are quite capable of continuing our partnership as we have been, therefore the President of the next term may dedicate their energy where they feel it best spent: there if they wish to help accelerate the project, or in some other area of foreign affairs.

Back