Looking back and forward

Elias Greyjoy said:
So what do we think will be the turnout for the next Senate election, taking into account that, one way or another, we will lose either one or two multi-consecutive term Senators and that the "summer slump" will be in full force? Or, alternatively, will we see a resurgence of candidates who are lackadaisical with their platforms and activity because if not them, then who?
As always, the safest bet is to look to the CA for ideal future candidates. Ogastein, Matthew Hopkins, Hy, and myself (and Dre, but I doubt he wants to give up his Chairmanship) have been relatively active within the CA as of late. Plus, after the Pres election, Anumia and Mal will be freed up for a Senate run if they so choose. I can't comment on how "lackadaisical" any of their platforms or activity will be, but they're all good legislators and good Europeians, so I'm disinclined to be pessimistic about the future Senate election.

EDIT: TheStonedSurfers is another CA member who's been contributing recently. I haven't really talked with the guy, but he seems committed enough. We have plenty of promising candidates, it's just a matter of getting them to run during a fallow summer period.

modernsin said:
And before someone tells me to put my money where my mouth is, I am seriously planning on standing for Senate on the next go 'round.
Anumia - 6 hours later said:
I'd like to see you running, then.
-_-

Always a pleasure, Anumia.

You will note that I saw your post announcing you will most likely run, as I responded to it within the same post. ;)

I'd like to think that my pointing that out so much is part of the reason why Charlotte lost the next election to a newcomer (RZM) when she didn't put up a platform either. People started noticing how fucked up it was that you could get elected without putting in any effort, and Charlotte lost by a huge margin (sorry Charlotte :emb: ). And you think I don't accomplish things through criticism. :ph43r:

I actually think the majority of the credit for that one goes elsewhere, but I'll acknowledge you contributed :p

Anumia said:
I'd like to see you running, then. Maybe properly, instead of "I'll get elected for being lazy lol".
My constantly pointing out that I could, and did, get elected to Senate "for being lazy" (ie. not putting up a platform, basically being silent throughout the election, etc) was also not a sign of a well-balanced political culture. That was the point, as I had to spell out to people on Skype a couple times. It was an experiment on my part, and if I remember correctly, I carried away the second-highest number of votes in that election, despite being admittedly a pretty 'meh' legislator.

So instead of working to fix the problem, you actively made it worse?

Anumia said:
Anumia said:
I'd like to see you running, then. Maybe properly, instead of "I'll get elected for being lazy lol".
My constantly pointing out that I could, and did, get elected to Senate "for being lazy" (ie. not putting up a platform, basically being silent throughout the election, etc) was also not a sign of a well-balanced political culture. That was the point, as I had to spell out to people on Skype a couple times. It was an experiment on my part, and if I remember correctly, I carried away the second-highest number of votes in that election, despite being admittedly a pretty 'meh' legislator.

So instead of working to fix the problem, you actively made it worse?
Not really. It's not like I stayed silent once I actually got (re)elected.

In the past, I've usually only stood for Senate when there was a lack of other candidates in the mix. Believe it or not, I like when the Senate is active too! :O And once I get the job, I do what I can.

In the same election in which Charlotte was defeated, I initially stood, intending to put up a platform and be more active and everything. But sudden RL constraints kept me from writing a platform in a timely fashion, so I withdrew. My 'silent campaign' the previous term was never intended to destabilize the election process or anything. And again, I think (hope) that my self-consciousness about it helped make people aware of the 'passive' voting and complacency that had been so common at the time. A negative strategy yielded positive results. That's all I was trying to point out. My future Senate runs certainly won't be 'silent' ones; that was a one-time deal. :D

Elias Greyjoy said:
Anumia said:
I look forward to that future, then. Be loud as a Senator; silent as a whiny critic, mebbe? :p
Sounds like a boring combination to me. :p
Yeah, keep dreaming, Anumia. :p

Take comfort in the fact that I'll probably stop pestering you so much in a few days. Probably. :ph43r:

modernsin said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
Anumia said:
I look forward to that future, then. Be loud as a Senator; silent as a whiny critic, mebbe? :p
Sounds like a boring combination to me. :p
Yeah, keep dreaming, Anumia. :p

Take comfort in the fact that I'll probably stop pestering you so much in a few days. Probably. :ph43r:
You never got to be a part of the Open Skype Night :D

Lethen said:
I'd be interested in hearing your response/input on the question I fielded to both candidates in their respective platform threads. A response here is probably more appropriate though, considering it's their threads. :emb:
Smaller, more frequent events are -precisely- the direction that Ive wanted to take the Ministry from Day 1, and slowly but surely, we've been doing it. I want more areas and events that brings together citizens for interests -outside- of NS. Hence why in this coming term I will be make the Europeian Gamers Guild, which hopefully with a little more organization will allow us to do a lot of different gaming nights and allow people to meet others who play the same games as them. I tried to do things similar to this as a citizen (trying to organize games of CKII and Civilization IV), however now I can finally make those kinds of things an official addition to the region. If the only thing I was good at was festivals, I would resign tomorrow ^_^ Festivals are nice and all... but I like organizing events that dont hinge on people in other regions. I love experimenting and tweeking ideas to find a sweet spot, Ive been very blessed so far that most of our ideas and events have been very successful.

This coming term I will be trying to improve on getting AM's involved. This term, I have never messaged or updated my AMs at all as Ive been focused on planning things myself and getting them done as I dont trust people with my work xD With a number of events and new ideas that I have, I will absolutely be needing a team to help beyond me and my Deputy. People should expect just as much if not more out of my Ministry this coming term than what we accomplished this term.

Back