Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - Where we've been, and where we are going next
Written by HEM Tiberius

Where We've Been...

I propose that we give our attention for the coming term to two important foci: internally, we finalise work on the Newcomers' Academy and put it into practice, expand our forms of media beyond text alone, seek new ideas and new programs to complement those existing; externally, we plan for then commence what I call the Great Architecture Project - President Anumia explaining his plans for a new initiative that would be called The "GAP" in his election manifesto.

Seven months ago -- almost seemingly a century away -- President Anumia announced his first Presidential bid -- and with it -- the program that came to dominate his agenda: The Grand Architecture Project. The project itself wasn't a new idea, but rather an evolution of ideas proposed by myself (among others) that presented a way for Europeia to give back to the world community and conduct a new brand of foreign affairs.

The premise of the GAP was simple: find "rising star" regions and offer them any wisdom that Europeia has garnered through 7 years of successes and mistakes. Europeia was enchanted by the idea, and Anumia easily won a commanding mandate with 75% of the vote.

The project, however, had a slow start. It wasn't until December 7th that Anumia appointed a Minister to help start the GAP, and it wasn't until February 23rd that Europeia had it's first official GAP signatory region. Why did the project take so long to get moving?

"Seems like every time someone came out and criticized the slow progress of the GAP, they were met with assurances that the project was *just about* to take off," City Councilor ModernSin told ENN, "As yet, this long-promised quicker pace, or 'second stage,' is still on the horizon."

When ENN contacted the Goldenblock for comment, President Anumia strongly suggested that people "may have underestimated my intended timetable", but agreed that there were delays -- particularly in the first term -- due to both his own inactivity and the inactivity of Common-Sense Politics, who served as the first Minister of Foreign Cultivation.

A big turn around was seen in the program with President Anumia's commanding re-election in January. Lethen was brought on board as the new Minister of Foreign Cultivation, and he's been working closely with the project ever since.

"Lethen however was, and I cannot really emphasise this enough, -invaluable- in his time as Minister of Foreign Cultivation thus far," President Anumia told ENN, "There is a very good reason why I was asked to be the Minister of Foreign Affairs instead of Foreign Cultivation [for next term], and that reason is him."

While Lethen served as a cornerstone for the new Architect program, many criticize his lack of public updates and his refusal to provide regular progress reports for his department. A lack of communication has been a criticism for Anumia's administration in general, but it stands particularly pointed in regards to the GAP.

"I've heard various, mostly vague, things about our levels of involvement with a handful of regions. Usually I don't hear anything beyond the fact that we're "working with," or "in talks with," these partners. Some more elaboration on the individual statuses of these discussions would be welcome," ModernSin explained to ENN.

President Anumia, however, says any more reports would be fairly frivolous as, many times, there was not much to report: "A big part of the problem is: what part do you update? We wanted to give really solid results, which meant waiting a bit longer."

There is no doubt, however, that tons of work has been going into the Grand Architecture Project, and that much of the progress has come directly from President Anumia.

"President Anumia has personally contacted almost every single GAP region we have established connections with," said a former Cabinet Minister and EACC official who wished to not be named, "The GAP has been primarily spearheaded by Anumia and Lethen as partners, and the fear may be that a working infrastructure may not exist to last after Anumia exits office."

Indeed, with the GAP it has been reported that tons of cooks have been in the kitchen. Decisions are made with Cabinet, Architect, and EAAC feedback. This iron triangle of reports and news has worked hencefar with Anumia acting as a liaison between all branches, but it has elements of unsustainability as a new President enters office.

Anumia was elected to a third term in March 2014, and he is now has less than 5 days left after a seven month marathon in office. A verdict on his term?

"It's hard to deny that Anumia's Presidency was generally a successful one," ModernSin comments, "No one gets three consecutive terms by being a bad President. The activity and progress in each of his Ministries was all over the map, which was largely due to his consistently uneven Cabinet choices. Still, we saw great work done in Interior, Culture, and FA at various points throughout Anumia's three terms."

Anumia's legacy is protected, in part, but his longevity in office. Anumia became the first President to serve three consecutive terms since President Nlhp in 2008. Back in 2009 - 2011, where Presidents struggled to finish a single term, Anumia's work is a significant accomplishment.

But the job is also less stressful than it used to be. Four years ago, President of Europeia may have been the hardest job in Nationstates, but the regional culture has changed since then. Has the change been for the better, or for the worse?

"What made Europeia exciting was political dynamicism," former President PhDre told ENN, "Heroes were forged and felled in a single term."

A longtime citizen, who prefers to remain unnamed said it more bluntly: "Disappointing. More boring. Less to do."

When ENN spoke to newcomer Mal'achi, however, he had a slightly different take: "[Diversity] is certainly one of the most attractive features of the region, and I would say as a result is one of the things that motivates me to be an active part of Europeia; the diversity, and the acceptance of such diversity. It is thoroughly enjoyable to witness."

So does the more politically tame climate make Europeia "boring" or "accepting?"

Either way, there is no doubt that the new culture benefits incumbent politicians who garner little or no criticism during their terms. Mediocre Presidents are hailed as good, good Presidents are hailed as great, and the truly great Presidents are clumped in with the others.

Where we are going

About a week ago General Elections were announced for the Presidency. Many Europeians predicted a large swarm of tickets to surge to succeed Anumia (who is not seeking a forth term).

However, only two tickets have presented themselves to Europeia. One one side, Drecq is running with Elias Greyjoy. On the other, Kraketopia is running with Pope Lexus X.

In many ways, Kraketopia is seen as more of a natural successor to Anumia. Almost all his political experience was garnered in Anumia's Cabinet. Drecq and Elias Greyjoy have been far more critical of Anumia -- particularly the latter -- and might be seen as more of a "new direction".

Kraketopia is running on a platform that stresses communication and finding new ways to liaison with nations on gameside. Kraketopia will also be retaining the Communications Ministry, while Drecq would do away with it.

When we asked Anumia about his potential successors, he gave a balanced review: "-The Kraken is obviously newer and has less experience, but is easily regarded one of our best newcomers and has shown a strong ability to grasp the necessities of whatever he is doing. Drecq has some more experience than the Kraken and knows how to use it - he also probably has a bit more international recognition although neither have much as of yet, and the region knows that he is very dependable and solid."

While both candidates have fielded a number of questions, there has lacked much real "passion" between the two campaigns and off topic conversations make the campaign threads look longer than they truly are.

As President Anumia leaves office, he has much to be proud of. He has worked tirelessly for the region during his half year in office. That being said, we as a region must consider the implications of someone being able to serve three terms with negligible political opposition. Is our political side dying away, or was Anumia truly a God?

What do we want to see our region become? It's a fair question with limitless answers. Ultimately, it is up to every single Europeia. That is why we must be engaged, involved, and interested in where the future takes us.

Both candidates have pledged to continue the GAP.

Very nice article, HEM. Lots of interesting points made throughout.

Of particular interest, I think, is the fact that the article keeps circling back to the issue of Europeia's political climate right now. The question of whether Europeia has become "more politically tame" has pretty much been answered in the affirmative by this point; at least, no one really seems to contest the notion that the region's political climate has become less active over time. We're feeling that decline more acutely now, during the finals/summer period that always drops activity levels anyway. People who want to downplay Euro's casual-ization are probably rolling their eyes at seeing it brought up again, but it's a valid, and valuable, issue to think about as we stand between the end of this Anumia-centric political era and the beginning of (presumably) a new one, no matter who gets elected.

Also of interest is the fact that both candidates are new-ish Europeians who came to the region after the more intensely political period from a few years ago. I'm very interested to see how our next President decides to deal with a 60-day period that historically features some of our lowest activity levels in general. The knee-jerk response to complaints about activity lately has been to throw a couple festivals or the like - in other words, to push for more activity through Culture projects. I want to see if this trend continues, or if our new leaders can bring fresh approaches to the table. A President who can successfully generate activity in the summer will be very well-remembered indeed, I believe.

I wonder if the perennial grumbles about activity could be measured and noted as a substantial portion of our activity output, though :p

Anumia said:
I wonder if the perennial grumbles about activity could be measured and noted as a substantial portion of our activity output, though :p
It's not just about activity, it's about what type of activity. Political activity has been on a rapid decline, with very little vested interest in regional politics these days.

Maybe it was good for "activity" to allow raging narcissists like Falconias to rise to positions of prominence while poisoning the political climate, but I don't understand the nostalgia for those days. I'm much happier being part of a region that shunned Remsol for much lesser sins.

The "old guard" is older and wiser than they were when they founded the region, and as a result, this place has attracted a more mature crowd. That's a good thing. I don't think many of our current citizens would stick around if this place were like the Europeia of old.

(Note: I came here immediately after Falc's final meltdown, so my knowledge of those events is secondhand, but I have firsthand knowledge of the changes since then, as well as the sort of player he is today.)

HEM said:
Anumia said:
It's not just about activity, it's about what type of activity. Political activity has been on a rapid decline, with very little vested interest in regional politics these days.
It's odd to hear this criticism at a time when we have a presidential contest with no clear front-runner and a highly active private media.

Skizzy Grey said:
HEM said:
Anumia said:
It's odd to hear this criticism at a time when we have a presidential contest with no clear front-runner and a highly active private media.
The presidential contest having no clear front runner is not a sign of political activity or political quality, it is also possible that the reason we don't have a standout candidate is that voters are equally unenthusiastic about both candidate.

It might be hard to understand the nostalgia having not been embroiled in the intrigue that was the NCP era. It was frustrating. It was destructive. It was at times nonsensical but, Christ, was it compelling.

I think, though, that political intrigue has moved to the international stage and I don't think that's a bad thing. Rather the opposite. Instead of battling each other we have the opportunity to oppose competing interests in the wider world to our collective benefit.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, we've mistaken timidity and a fear of conflict with prudence and courtesy in foreign affairs. It is possible to remain the voice of reason and leadership even if you are especially assertive as long as your actions are consistent within your policy mission, articulate, and prescient.

Interesting read. I will say with 100% certainty that GAP regions love being contacted by the President and not the Minister. :p

" The knee-jerk response to complaints about activity lately has been to throw a couple festivals or the like - in other words, to push for more activity through Culture projects."

The Ministry of Culture wasn't commanded to make festivals etc. on the orders of any body in the government that had been channeling us complaints or whatnot regarding activity. The Ministry of Culture, at least since I have been helping Zenny (so as far as I am aware), has been pretty much acting on it's own timetable and schedule with little input from other governmental departments (except where the foreign office was concerned with inter-regional festivals). I think it is unfair to say that the government received complaints about activity and responded with a festival, that would be a completely inaccurate description of how things occurred.

Three Eyes: Culture Ministry given little input from Executive :ph43r:

PhDre said:
Three Eyes: Culture Ministry given little input from Executive :ph43r:
Three Eyes: GAP given more candy by Anumia; Culture the Red-Headed Step-Child?

Anumia gives us a lot of room because he knows how me and my team operate: almost independently.
In the first 2-3 weeks I did have stuff he wanted done. The Equilism festival and Vinage's ovation, both of which were overdue by months under the previous minister. After that, all this has been us. Its a horrible idea to pressure your team, and I have never been told do things in the name of activity. I do these events because I want Europeia to have a very active Culture Ministry, to set a precedent for my eventual successor, I really enjoy making you guys happy or at least trying to do so, and because I want to learn how to do these things and how to improve them for the next time around.

If anything, Anumia has gone out of his way to be understanding to our Ministry, the timing of events, and the work we put into it. He has, apart from the single debate (grumble grumble ^_^), given me 100% creative control over the ministry, and he should be thanked for that. I was so thankful when Anumia made me Culture Minister, because I was really upset that nothing was being done in the Ministry and I kept spilling my ideas to him every other day about what should be done in Culture.

I'd be interested in hearing your response/input on the question I fielded to both candidates in their respective platform threads. A response here is probably more appropriate though, considering it's their threads. :emb:

Elias Greyjoy said:
Mal'achi said:
This was also the impression I got from Zenny, both in Tomlinson and outside of it, and I believe HEM makes an erroneous assumption here.
Umm, I wasn't the one who wrote the text that Mal'achi responded to :baghead:

Common-Sense Politics said:
It might be hard to understand the nostalgia having not been embroiled in the intrigue that was the NCP era. It was frustrating. It was destructive. It was at times nonsensical but, Christ, was it compelling.
This x10. Skizzy, saying things like, "Well I wasn't around then, but I don't get the nostalgia for those days" (my paraphrase) is self-defeating. If you weren't there, of course you won't get the nostalgia for it. :p Back then I'd log on to the forums every day just to see what crazy new thing was brewing at the time. People were more assertive, and there was a more competitive atmosphere that, while occasionally skirting the edge of outright insanity, was undeniably effective in maintaining consistent levels of engagement and compelling discourse. I'm not saying we should jump feet-first into that kind of atmosphere again, but it's worth noting that it's part of the reason why political interest has waned in the last couple years.

Alec and Zenny: I wasn't referring to you specifically. If I was, I would've called you out specifically. I know Anumia has more of a hands-off approach with some of his Ministries than other Presidents, and I wasn't insinuating EuroStock was a response to complaints about activity (before this thread brought up the issue again, have there even been complaints in the last few weeks? I can't think of any). Don't be so sensitive.

I loved those days. Things were more...divisive...but it was damn compelling. I loved my head-to-head debates/arguments/discussions with Falc and his ilk (and his ill-informed supporters).

Back