Looking back and forward

modernsin said:
Common-Sense Politics said:
It might be hard to understand the nostalgia having not been embroiled in the intrigue that was the NCP era. It was frustrating. It was destructive. It was at times nonsensical but, Christ, was it compelling.
This x10. Skizzy, saying things like, "Well I wasn't around then, but I don't get the nostalgia for those days" (my paraphrase) is self-defeating. If you weren't there, of course you won't get the nostalgia for it. :p Back then I'd log on to the forums every day just to see what crazy new thing was brewing at the time. People were more assertive, and there was a more competitive atmosphere that, while occasionally skirting the edge of outright insanity, was undeniably effective in maintaining consistent levels of engagement and compelling discourse. I'm not saying we should jump feet-first into that kind of atmosphere again, but it's worth noting that it's part of the reason why political interest has waned in the last couple years.

Alec and Zenny: I wasn't referring to you specifically. If I was, I would've called you out specifically. I know Anumia has more of a hands-off approach with some of his Ministries than other Presidents, and I wasn't insinuating EuroStock was a response to complaints about activity (before this thread brought up the issue again, have there even been complaints in the last few weeks? I can't think of any). Don't be so sensitive.

But I was here, and I saw the region as it existed then (unless you contend there was a sea change in just a few weeks' time after Falc left). We spent all our time fighting one another. We tolerated people treating one another abominably. We naively allowed ourselves to be f'd over repeatedly by the same people in the name of "second chances." That culture was tearing this place asunder.

You weren't here a year later when that culture damn near killed this place. In response, we came together and built a new, more collaborative culture. We developed a generation of leaders who never would have stuck around to deal with the old Europeia. We figured out what we were all about, and we made a mark on the broader game. After a long absence, that's the region you came back and found -- and you wish we were still at each other's throats, because you found that more entertaining (until you lost interest, that is).

And with that I feel we've lost a willingness to challenge ourselves. I don't dispute your points Skizzy, but there is an extreme to a cooperative culture and that is a complacent one. Finding that balance is difficult and I wonder if we have found it.

Lethen said:
I loved those days. Things were more...divisive...but it was damn compelling. I loved my head-to-head debates/arguments/discussions with Falc and his ilk (and his ill-informed supporters).
I've known you for four years. I haven't changed much in that time -- there's not much difference between being 36 and being 40. I'm guessing you have changed more than I have. And I'll bet you wouldn't find that drama as compelling now as you did then. I mean, would you trade any of our current citizens for the likes of Jerrymania or Athy, or the other assorted tools that our culture in those days attracted here like moths to a flame?

Edit: Dre makes a good point about complacency. But I think there's a difference between continuing to push innovation in a fast-changing game, versus promoting an atmosphere of conflict, crisis and drama because those things are good for activity.

That is very, very true.

Skizzy Grey said:
But I was here, and I saw the region as it existed then (unless you contend there was a sea change in just a few weeks' time after Falc left). We spent all our time fighting one another. We tolerated people treating one another abominably. We naively allowed ourselves to be f'd over repeatedly by the same people in the name of "second chances." That culture was tearing this place asunder.
Actually yeah, things did start settling down significantly after Falc left. More specifically, tensions started deflating after he abruptly pulled out of the April (?) 2010 Presidential election against Rougiers/Earth. I think most who were around then would agree that January-April 2010 period (from Ollie's turbulent Presidency through Falc vs. Rougiers) was the nadir of the Falc/NCP era. Certainly the NCP became less contentious after Falc left it around May. The politics were still competitive and all, but Falc's presence and attitude pushed things into a more extreme territory. And I don't know that we merely "tolerated people treating one another abominably." We were pretty good at calling people out when they were out of line, though we definitely could have done more to stop it from happening as often as it did. Again, I'm not advocating a return to this kind of atmosphere, just pointing out factors that made Europeian politics more active and interesting than they have been since.

You weren't here a year later when that culture damn near killed this place. In response, we came together and built a new, more collaborative culture. We developed a generation of leaders who never would have stuck around to deal with the old Europeia. We figured out what we were all about, and we made a mark on the broader game. After a long absence, that's the region you came back and found -- and you wish we were still at each other's throats, because you found that more entertaining (until you lost interest, that is).
No I wasn't here during 2011, except for a brief period of minor resurgence that I don't remember much of. Seems like things really went to hell after I left - coincidence? :ph43r:

Once more, don't put words in my mouth. Suggesting that I "wish we were still at each other's throats" is bullshit. Also, I didn't leave out of a lack of interest. I had just started college and RL was taking up all of my free time. In my goodbye thread, I even referred to Europeia as "awesome and engaging." I certainly wasn't getting bored with the place. :D

Anyway, like Dre I question the implication that we've found an ideal balance between activity and cooperation. Obviously there's no objective measure of what the ideal balance might be, but suffice to say I'd like the political atmosphere to be livelier. Hopefully the upcoming Pres debates will make this election a little more interesting, for one. And I'd like to stop seeing Senate races where we have an equal number of candidates and available seats. That's definitely not a sign of a well-balanced political culture. I certainly don't think the region's doomed or anything, but we can always do better in one area or another.

You know, this entire conversation reminds me of an article written a long time ago.

As Skizzy correctly notes, the goal should be to push innovation in a fast-changing game (while promoting activity and interest domestically). And the manner that Europeia has always done that best is through political activity and competition for the office of the President. An atmosphere where we welcome critique and standing up to the 'God King' or whoever happens to be in power and saying "look, I know this isn't your style but your style is not good for what we need right now." Privately, I'm hearing a lot more disappointment regarding the GAP - I'd like to be in an Europeia where people can say "this and this is not working, I'm disappointed the Administration hasn't done enough here." And I don't think Europeia currently encourages that attitude.

modernsin said:
Once more, don't put words in my mouth. Suggesting that I "wish we were still at each other's throats" is bullshit. Also, I didn't leave out of a lack of interest. I had just started college and RL was taking up all of my free time. In my goodbye thread, I even referred to Europeia as "awesome and engaging." I certainly wasn't getting bored with the place. :D

Anyway, like Dre I question the implication that we've found an ideal balance between activity and cooperation. Obviously there's no objective measure of what the ideal balance might be, but suffice to say I'd like the political atmosphere to be livelier. Hopefully the upcoming Pres debates will make this election a little more interesting, for one. And I'd like to stop seeing Senate races where we have an equal number of candidates and available seats. That's definitely not a sign of a well-balanced political culture. I certainly don't think the region's doomed or anything, but we can always do better in one area or another.
I love it when college students say they're busy. :)

I agree re: the Senate, but I'm convinced that's structural rather than cultural -- in a region where the rules are well-written and enjoy broad support , there isn't much for the legislature to do. I have made a couple proposals for structural reform, but neither of them has gained traction.

I think it's very unfair to even slight someone for taking a break from the game for RL reasons. First year of University is a very unique moment in terms of experiencing college-level classes, making new friends, etc. If MS says he was busy he was busy, and that's irrelevant.

Skizzy Grey said:
I agree re: the Senate, but I'm convinced that's structural rather than cultural -- in a region where the rules are well-written and enjoy broad support , there isn't much for the legislature to do. I have made a couple proposals for structural reform, but neither of them has gained traction.
If there isn't much for the legislature to do (which I agree with), then surely more people could step up and serve without fear of it taking up too much of their time? We certainly have plenty of viable potential Senators, many of whom have served before. But people don't want to step up, and that sucks. We have plenty of newer members in the Senate right now and that's great, but why are so many veterans averse to running for Senate these days? Open question.

And before someone tells me to put my money where my mouth is, I am seriously planning on standing for Senate on the next go 'round. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my activity will continue to increase in the coming weeks, so I have no problem with getting back into some kind of office. I hope others will be equally willing over the summer; it doesn't have to be a dry spell if we don't want it to be, after all.

Man, I'm sure the notion of college students being busy seems silly to you. But as Dre said, I had just entered my first year and begun what proved to be a very hectic period in my life. Believe me, after 16 months of enthusiastic participation between 2009-2010, I didn't want to leave. I hope I don't have to again anytime soon.

I personally have more or less refused to run for the Senate and other offices in the past primarily because it's a young man's game now and who am I to take away that seat for a potential new Senator or that Ministry for the new Minister of x, y, or z?

Lethen said:
I personally have more or less refused to run for the Senate and other offices in the past primarily because it's a young man's game now and who am I to take away ...that Ministry for the new Minister of x, y, or z?
But aren't you going to be a Minister this upcoming term?

PhDre said:
Lethen said:
I personally have more or less refused to run for the Senate and other offices in the past primarily because it's a young man's game now and who am I to take away ...that Ministry for the new Minister of x, y, or z?
But aren't you going to be a Minister this upcoming term?
I make exceptions. :p

It's like no-one remembers the shit Earth, and others, went through. It's like no-one noticed how Henry went off the deep end after he was in politics here. I think very few noticed or listened when even I said it was getting to me; hell, I left during the resurgence of dickishness in 2011. Sopo left too, for a time, as did HEM, and Rachel kind of burned out and went elsewhere for ages. Abbey left too. All good, hard-working people, who actually served in Government instead of serving themselves in "opposition".

I think it is extremely easy when you're the one being the opposition, when you're the one being the dick to people, to say "oh yes this is so very necessary, oh indeed rather quite, such a good thing to be 'challenging' our governments". Bloody easy to complain; very difficult to actually do something useful for once.

Simply put: robust discussion and good political challenges come from people who not only have solutions instead of just pointing out problems, but are also willing to roll up their sleeves and do something about it. If the usual suspects decide to bitch and moan, and tell us they're doing the region a service without actually doing anything, I call bullshit.

You know what's amazing about these two candidates? They're not nasty, they're not taking shots at each other. They're conducting civilised, decent campaigns, and I believe therefore that whoever loses will be decent to the winner thereafter, and actually work to help them in their term, instead of being a meaningless critic. Why anyone would want to go back to the bad old days is beyond me - and I say this in the full knowledge that I was pretty much unanimously popular (certainly more popular than today) during the NCP era - even Falconias couldn't really say much against me as I opposed him, decently.

PhDre said:
The presidential contest having no clear front runner is not a sign of political activity or political quality, it is also possible that the reason we don't have a standout candidate is that voters are equally unenthusiastic about both candidate.

This is indicative of the negativity. I say we have two solid candidates, ready, enthusiastic, and willing to take up the reins and move Europeia forward, but because they are both good, the race is close, which should make things exciting. Indeed, if the electorate was so unenthused, why were there so many votes in such a short time period? Surely an apathetic electorate wouldn't bother much with polling. Instead, however, you suggest a negative view of the situation without really having any basis for such, because it suits the narrative that our political culture is somehow weak in your view.

CSP said:
I think, though, that political intrigue has moved to the international stage and I don't think that's a bad thing. Rather the opposite. Instead of battling each other we have the opportunity to oppose competing interests in the wider world to our collective benefit.

Yeah, isn't it shocking that after a large amount of the internal division and fighting was resolved/quelled, we actually started to make more of our region, especially on the world stage? For all the "glory" of the fighting in early 2010, we were something of a joke internationally. It was only as we matured and began thinking in the long term instead of sniping at one another that we were able to make consistent, solid gains.

Zenny said:
Anumia gives us a lot of room because he knows how me and my team operate: almost independently.
In the first 2-3 weeks I did have stuff he wanted done. The Equilism festival and Vinage's ovation, both of which were overdue by months under the previous minister. After that, all this has been us. Its a horrible idea to pressure your team, and I have never been told do things in the name of activity. I do these events because I want Europeia to have a very active Culture Ministry, to set a precedent for my eventual successor, I really enjoy making you guys happy or at least trying to do so, and because I want to learn how to do these things and how to improve them for the next time around.

If anything, Anumia has gone out of his way to be understanding to our Ministry, the timing of events, and the work we put into it. He has, apart from the single debate (grumble grumble ^_^), given me 100% creative control over the ministry, and he should be thanked for that. I was so thankful when Anumia made me Culture Minister, because I was really upset that nothing was being done in the Ministry and I kept spilling my ideas to him every other day about what should be done in Culture.

In a nutshell, with Zenny, I pointed her at the goalposts, and let her make her own way there, with input but not micromanagement when necessary. She has done marvelously as my Culture Minister with that approach, and will be an asset to any future Cabinet.

Skizzy said:

This. Just. This. (bold emphasis mine, but the whole quote is spot on)

Maybe it's more fun for those being critical to see the fights, but for those putting in the harder work, it's not exactly fun to do that and then get shit on in the game of "political discourse". If you want to be a serious competitor and present your own ideas and assert why your way is better, fine. Don't just seek to find fault and do nothing else.

Modern Sin said:
And I'd like to stop seeing Senate races where we have an equal number of candidates and available seats. That's definitely not a sign of a well-balanced political culture.

I'd like to see you running, then. Maybe properly, instead of "I'll get elected for being lazy lol". I know that you are more than capable of being an energetic, intelligent Senator if you want to get involved there again; you're no fool, and can bring alternative ideas to the table. I might not agree with these ideas personally, but at least putting your own forward is better than just complaining about the status quo.

Modern Sin said:
And before someone tells me to put my money where my mouth is, I am seriously planning on standing for Senate on the next go 'round. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my activity will continue to increase in the coming weeks, so I have no problem with getting back into some kind of office. I hope others will be equally willing over the summer; it doesn't have to be a dry spell if we don't want it to be, after all.

Oh good. This is called being part of the solution!

Privately, I'm hearing a lot more disappointment regarding the GAP - I'd like to be in an Europeia where people can say "this and this is not working, I'm disappointed the Administration hasn't done enough here." And I don't think Europeia currently encourages that attitude.

Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps your approach might be wrong? I have had plenty of conversations with plenty of people about plenty of things, and if they're not, say, going to start with "Foreign Affairs Seem Foreign to Anumia Administration" (lolbecausetwoalliancesandbeingastakeholderintheOFOistotalfailureinternationally), I or whoever is being criticised might respond a bit more readily. Put simply, if you're full of crap, or going to come out swinging, I'm either going to swing back or ignore you, and that's pretty much how all of humanity is going to respond. Like it or not, it is not the President's job to get 100% of the electorate approving of them, and ultimately in a night they can choose to spend four hours having a dick contest in a thread or they can spend four hours doing work that clearly isn't appreciated by that critic anyway.

I consider it an absolute fact that the most constructive criticism comes from your own supporters, if they are genuinely wanting you to be the best. Many of my own Ministers over the past three terms have provided the best advice and the most candid evaluations of how things are going, and because they're actually, y'know, working towards the same goals and putting in the effort to make this a better place, I'm going to respect them a hell of a lot more than someone who starts on the offensive and doesn't even bother attempting to be reasonable.

Swakistek said it very well in the above-linked thread:

I just hope that we can be allow the happy, "I can change this" attitude to live on in Europeia instead of spreading discontent and division, and I think a little positivity and kindness could really go a long way. And you all know what I mean by that.

If you want a more energetic and active political culture: make it one yourself, by presenting a credible alternative to what you are currently seeing. If you have no ideas yourself, or have not the ability to prosecute them, don't tear down those willing to put themselves on the line and call that progress.

I essentially agree with those who have said drama is not the kind of activity we want here. I was, frankly, an ass here two years ago, and that didn't do anything to contribute to an improved political culture. I've also seen firsthand the effect that sustained, long-term confrontation and drama can have on a community during my past year and a bit in Osiris, and after that trench warfare I have no desire to see it again there, here, or elsewhere -- and I don't recommend it for anyone else.

Innovation and enthusiasm are the keys to healthy activity. I agree that we lack those, to a degree, but the answer isn't a euphemistic "more active political culture" that in all likelihood means more confrontation and drama. That's a short burst of activity followed by an exodus of valuable contributors.

In regard to the Senate, I agree with Skizzy that the problem is structural. In the short term, if we want to see more people running than there are seats, I would recommend that the Electoral Panel announce immediately when the next election is called that there will be more seats, delay the decision (or at least announcement of it) until the last minute, and then actually have more seats. That will encourage people who might not run to step up, because they'll have no idea how many seats will need filled. Introducing that level of uncertainty is a non-confrontational, mature way to add some interest. We don't need fights to make activity happen.

Where did I say we need to have fights to make Europeia stronger? Anumia, you say that you don't want to deal with people who say "this and this is not working" because they're not contribution to the thing that isn't working? Feel free to go off with all this rhetoric but when you say "If you want to be a serious competitor and present your own ideas and assert why your way is better, fine. Don't just seek to find fault and do nothing else" ... recognize that I wasn't saying "we need sideline people who are just here for the criticism. " I'm saying people who ARE involved are not critiquing because those in power don't deal with criticism very well, because our culture does not value critique. Any time Europeians mention "GAP has no updates in a long time and just 2(?) neighbors in 3 terms" the MoFC goes on a tirade about how it's not his style to give updates; any time we see Nazi regions raided, we don't want to admit to being wrong in being on the sideline on those raids. If you're going to ignore good advice or a good observation because it doesn't come from the right mouth, then I don't know if there's anything that can fix that.

w/r/t to the election: my concern regarding the candidates might be indicative of my negativity. Or you know,I just don't think either platform is very forward-thinking. I think the electorate might be enthused because it's the first close election we'll have in a long time, but no one is talking about the wonderful ideas that candidate X or Y has. I voted immediately in the polls, but I'm not 'excited' about the election per se, maybe others are very excited..

modernsin said:
And before someone tells me to put my money where my mouth is, I am seriously planning on standing for Senate on the next go 'round.
Anumia - 6 hours later said:
I'd like to see you running, then.
-_-

Always a pleasure, Anumia.

Anumia said:
I'd like to see you running, then. Maybe properly, instead of "I'll get elected for being lazy lol".
My constantly pointing out that I could, and did, get elected to Senate "for being lazy" (ie. not putting up a platform, basically being silent throughout the election, etc) was also not a sign of a well-balanced political culture. That was the point, as I had to spell out to people on Skype a couple times. It was an experiment on my part, and if I remember correctly, I carried away the second-highest number of votes in that election, despite being admittedly a pretty 'meh' legislator.

I'd like to think that my pointing that out so much is part of the reason why Charlotte lost the next election to a newcomer (RZM) when she didn't put up a platform either. People started noticing how fucked up it was that you could get elected without putting in any effort, and Charlotte lost by a huge margin (sorry Charlotte :emb: ). And you think I don't accomplish things through criticism. :ph43r:

I won't respond to subsequent points re: 'negative' political discourse/culture because I'd only be rehashing things I've said earlier in this thread. Suffice to say, there will always be 'negative' critics, and there will always be politicians who think that such criticism is unfair or the like (see recent comments in CSP's panel discussion thread).

So what do we think will be the turnout for the next Senate election, taking into account that, one way or another, we will lose either one or two multi-consecutive term Senators and that the "summer slump" will be in full force? Or, alternatively, will we see a resurgence of candidates who are lackadaisical with their platforms and activity because if not them, then who?

It would be interesting if we were somehow able to identify how many citizens vote, and if candidates end up with <X% support they do not get elected. If there aren't platforms and ideas circulating then I'm not going to vote for you this time around.

There is like a constitutional change right now being discussed in the CA. Given that every Tom, Dick and Harry can comment on it and the only people to have been me, PhDre and modernsin ....

Nothing for the Senate to do? What tripe. There is if you look hard enough (it just has got more difficult to do so).

Back