Interview with Chief of State Kuramia

Through the Eyes of the Chief of State
A Vision of Europeia

A Joint Article by Hezekon and Astrellan

(May 8, 2019) - During these past few months, Kuramia has served as both president (briefly) and the region's inaugural chief of state. As she is the first to fill the latter, hers is a unique experience, and her perspective on the term throughout is similarly unique. In this special interview, EBC will reveal some of the thoughts Chief of State Kuramia has concerning her time this past term.

Back in January of 2019, then-Chief of Staff Kuramia made clear her intent to run for president in an exclusive interview with the EBC. Not long after, she formally stood for election and posted her campaign platform, tackling points such as the Ministry of Employment and Foreign Affairs handling. This is a bid she would win, becoming president, with Pierce serving as her vice president. However, only a couple weeks into her presidency, the Senate passed the Executive Split Transition Act, known commonly as "the Executive Split," which resulted in her taking on the mantle of "Chief of State," with Pierce once again serving as her deputy.

As such, her job is slightly different. It now focuses on foreign affairs, while the first minister deals with the domestic end. Kuramia states that this change "has done a lot to free up room to experiment." Her experimentation is mostly "brainstorming behind closed doors," as she mentions one must be careful when it comes to foreign affairs. "This includes bringing up ideas to advisors and Council alike, for direction and purpose," she explains.

As far as the pros and cons of the Executive Split itself, the chief of state is fairly optimistic. "I guess I only see pros right now and not cons," she explains. "I really only think the cons can be exposed by someone who ran a good show in Foreign Affairs as President. I've really enjoyed it. I've joked in radio that the lack of polls is a relief, though I'm sure that's a temporary situation." As a recent poll by the EBC suggests, the citizens of Europeia have a low approval rate (60%) of the Executive branch compared to a January poll asking for a similar opinion on the Executive (72.2%). With numbers like that, perhaps Kuramia is right to be wary.

With the introduction of the Deputy Devolution amendment on April 8, 2019, there would come change in the structure of the deputies of the heads of state. For Pierce, this amendment would mean that his office as deputy could also come with a seat on the Council of State. When it was announced, there was talk that the office would be gotten rid of altogether. Pierce mentioned that he feels his office had less to do then when he was vice president. When asked what her thoughts on this possibility were, Kuramia backed her then-deputy. "What he experienced is important and speaks of what might be in the future." However, she did seem willing to try the idea out. "If the feedback is anything like the reasons we had behind even splitting our Executive, we can always go back to our modus operandi."

Unfortunately, on April 24, Pierce submitted his resignation as deputy chief of state, citing personal reasons, as well as a decreased workload. "There is not much to work on from a day-to-day basis in foreign affairs as much as internal affairs," he explained. Kuramia responded with empathy for her former deputy when asked her thoughts. "I certainly do get it," she began. "I've been there and needed to step back. [...] I think the change in duties surprised both of us." She explains that she expected Pierce to continue on in the region, and even that he'd be back in the government. And she turned out to be right: about a week later, April 30, Pierce began his run for the Senate by-election held after Common-Sense Politics' resignation as senator and speaker.

As the term neared its end, there was talk of the next round of citizens who would join the government of Europeia. The first minister election bids came in, and while that was in force, Kuramia was asked what might benefit a potential first minister.

"[Y]our Cabinet will be your most important tool," she began. "Your success is dependent on them. They not only need to want to work, but they have to want to work for you. Know what's going on with them, talk to them, and help them if a roadblock appears. Support them and they, in turn, will support you." She insisted that first ministers ought to know that they will at some point be required to make tough choices, and she emphasized the importance of staying visible to both on- and off-forum citizens. Eventually, Lloenflys would win the bid, with Sopo as his deputy first minister.

She also was asked how she felt her term went, overall. "It's hard to evaluate my term," she began. She explained that there were some events that had been handled well. "The bumps in the road," however, "came from the growing pains any major changes will have, the reactions of the gameplay community to our stances, and staffing changes due to real life."

When asked what she thought was the smoothest part of her term she responded that it was working with then-First Minister Rand. "It was just easy to talk to [him] about what needed doing and poke each other when we needed our cabinet to work on something."

On her faults, the Chief of State listed a less-than-desirous amount of engagement with her Council of State. "I think there might have been a disconnect, and I hope to receive more feedback from that if there was." She explained that her method is to view things from afar and take time to think and listen to others, before presenting her opinion. "I don't want to flip-flop or shift a lot when some new angle to a debate presents itself." Among her accomplishments, she was glad she made it through a term. "I've only felt a bit overwhelmed a couple of times, and I had a lot of support behind me on how to handle those situations. I think I did that right: handling situations."

With the new chief of state elections ongoing at this time, it will be interesting to see where Kuramia goes from here. She is standing for re-election with World Assembly Delegate Aexinadaral as her deputy and has just recently posted her campaign platform, centring on a proactive stance on Foreign Affairs, finding another Grand Admiral, and creating General Assembly resolutions. Prior to publication of this article, Kuramia has been re-elected as Chief of State.

Through the past two months, Europeia has survived more than a couple of setbacks. But the chief of state, with whatever she was faced, managed to make it through to the end of her term relatively unscathed.

This article uses two sequential interviews with Kuramia. Here are them listed below:

Interview 1

Hezekon
: To start, I wanted to get your thoughts, as Chief of State, of how you think the Executive Split has affected your position, the pros and the cons of it, and how you feel about it, overall, so far.

Kuramia: I think the Executive Split has done a lot to free up room to experiment. Now with Foreign Affairs especially you want to be careful with any kind of experimentation, so what I mean is some brainstorming behind closed doors. This includes bringing up ideas to advisors and Council alike, for direction and purpose for Europeian's Foreign Affairs. It really allows for some time, as Nation State Gameplay (NSGP) is a shifting environment, and what was okay to do last week may not be advisable this week.

I guess I only see pros right now and not cons, and maybe I'm just the type to settle into something new, embrace it, and not see the opportunities, but I think that's driven by the fact that I had two weeks as my first time as President.

I really only think the cons can be exposed by someone who ran a good show in Foreign Affairs as President. I've really enjoyed it. I've joked in radio that the lack of polls is a relief, though I'm sure that's a temporary situation. There's a lot that happens in Nation States, outside of our region, and I have the time to peruse the gameside forums, read the Discord, and speak with people inside and outside our region in effort to expand our experience in gameplay.

Hezekon: Okay, cool! Next question: What are your thoughts on the current devolution of the Deputy First Minister? How would such a devolvement affect you? Do you agree with such a devolution?

Kuramia: I think I summed how I felt about in the Senate, and I touched on it in radio as well. Essentially, I'm backing my DCoS here. What he experienced is important and speaks of what might be in the future. Now I'm not going to deny his help was invaluable in campaigning. He'd done it before for one, and for two he's a man with an ear to the ground. Can a campaign be run successfully without a Deputy? Why don't we try it? If the feedback is anything like the reasons we had behind even splitting our Executive, we can always go back to our modus operandi.

Of course I realize I'm the kind of personality that never minds trying something new if it isn't going to hurt anything permanently. Some people are more cautious, and I respect their views, especially when they bring forth their points in a reasonable manner.

Hezekon: Okay, thank you! Final (set of) question(s): If you could, please sum up how you think your term as Chief of State has gone so far. What were the bumps in the road? What did you discover went fairly smoothly? Any self-criticisms or self-compliments?

Kuramia: It's hard to evaluate my term. I think it was average. There were some bigger events that occurred:, and overall I think those events were handled well. The bumps in the road came from the growing pains any major changes will have, the reactions of the gameplay community to our stances, and staffing changes due to real life. These things slow down processes, though they certainly make conversation energized!

I thought that working with the First Minister was the smoothest part of this term. It was just easy to talk to Rand about what needed doing and poke each other when we needed our cabinet to work on something for the other person.

I'll start with the self-criticisms. I needed to engage with my Council as a group more. I think there might have been a disconnect, and I hope to receive more feedback from that if there was. I'm the type to sit back and let something play out, taking my time to form my opinions based on not only my initial thoughts, but also the words of others. I don't want to flip-flop or shift a lot when some new angle to a debate presents itself. Basically I tend to stray from reactions and approach things diplomatically, which may catch people off-guard when I've been silent about a thing for a while and then suddenly spout an opinion. As for self-compliments, I am happy I survived a whole term. I've only felt a bit overwhelmed a couple times, and I had a lot of support behind me on how to handle those situations. I think I did that right: handling situations.

Interview 2

Siphlygon
: Not so long ago, we saw the resignation of Pierce from Deputy Chief of State. What are your thoughts on this?

Kuramia: I've known for a bit how he felt and that was likely coming because Pierce and I have been close since before this term as CoS and DCoS. Pierce was someone I turned to when things were happening, sometimes just so we could laugh over something, sometimes for a more serious conversation from someone who balanced me when it came to foreign affairs while still being aware and in touch with all the current events. When he came to me with his resignation, I told him everything would be fine and told him I understand. I certainly do get it. I've been there and needed to step back. I know he's still here, playing the game in a way that makes him comfortable for now. I know he'll back in government as well. He'll see a need, feel he can contribute, and step right back in. I think the change in duties surprised both of us. He'd done so much as Vice President in interior and external affairs that just handling external essentially did away with half his job. I think Pierce is definitely someone who could have handled the duties of being President before the split.

Siphlygon: In this Senate term, we will be seeing the first ever Chief of State appointment. How would you recommend the Senate to go about choosing someone for this office? What qualities would a good Chief of State require in the next term?

Kuramia: I don't think it would be appropriate for the now Chief of State to make recommendations to the Senate about choosing the next Chief of State. I am sure they are working out the process and I have confidence they'll come up with something that measures the worth of any candidate. Ultimately the qualities a good Chief of State should have are an understanding of foreign affairs, of how to be diplomatic, of when to push and when to give. There is an amount of being humble that I would personally want, not someone who perhaps couldn't fess up when they've made a mistake and face the music. Staying connected is perhaps the best quality, and knowing what to do with the information available. I imagine that in different times, different qualities will be looked for, some weighing more than others depending on what's on-going in and out of Europeia.

Siphlygon: With the First Minister elections running as we speak and standing soon to close, what do you think would make a good First Minister candidate? Is there a message you wish to say to standing candidates and perhaps those who haven't decided on taking the plunge?

Kuramia: If I had any message to give the prospective First Ministers, it would be that your Cabinet will be your most important tool. Your success is dependent on them. They not only need to want to work, but they have to want to work for you. Know what's going on with them, talk to them, and help them if a roadblock appears. Support them and they, in turn, will support you. You're going to have some tough decisions to make and something, at some time, for some reason, you do will be questioned. The people skills needed to be a good Chief of State still apply to being a good First Minister. Also stay as visible with the people, on and off the forums, as you can be.

Last edited:
Nice article -- well constructed.

Yay! This came about from weeks of hard work from two bright members of our Communications Ministry! Fantastic job in creating a dynamic article from an interview!

Yay! This came about from weeks of hard work from two bright members of our Communications Ministry! Fantastic job in creating a dynamic article from an interview!
I'm so very happy that you're pleased with this. It was . . . it was a labor of love, for sure. And I really have to mention Astrellan's work with this. I'd be lost without him.

I'm so very happy that you're pleased with this. It was . . . it was a labor of love, for sure. And I really have to mention Astrellan's work with this. I'd be lost without him.
Pfft! Without your work we would have never got this off the ground. Our skills complimented each other and now this beauty is publiushed and more articles are sure to come :3

Back