Foreign Update - Jan 14 - Drafting

Since the last foreign update got ridiculously behind schedule(mostly due to the clusterfuck of FU protocol not being established between MinComm and MoFA) we're going to start working on the next one now. Obviously not much has happened since the last one, but any time an internal or external event happens that we feel should be included in the update comm members will post about it, and what they feel is the relevant information. This way when it comes time to actually piece the thing together it will be much easier and faster. I will also be posting a proper schedule for making Foreign Updates for both MinComm and MoFA to follow.

Excellent idea. Sorry about not responding to your comment on Skype MD, my computer mouse is really messed up and I can click to get on the forums(sometimes), and can get onto Skype(sometimes) but it never lets me click over to actually send messages. So I wasn't brushing you off :p

I hope Minister and Senator Kraketopia won't mind me jumping in.

New Senate Elected

On February 8th, a new senate was elected. The senate elections featured significant emphasis on questions related to procedures for selecting the Attorney General, timing of Senate terms, and activity expectations of Senators. Seven candidates stood for senate elections, and in the end the following were elected: Elias Greyjoy, Kraketopia, Drecq, Cerian Quilor, Sopo and Raging Zen Master, representing different levels of experience from among the population of Europeia. Drecq was re-elected as Speaker of the Senate.

Will this be ready soon?

It's good to have you back in MinComm full time MD :p Anumia says we're omitting the GAP article, so who wants to compile this bad boy? If nobody wants to, I will.

Cheers.

[me]dreams of a day when someone - especially someone who is not himself - will not slow down our Foreign Update by weeks and weeks :( :p

Here it is, the Foreign Update in both finished form and coded form:

Europeia's February 2014 Foreign Update

President Anumia Wins Second Term, New Cabinet Formed

President Anumia won his second consecutive term, securing 76.3% of the electoral vote, an increase from his past election's performance of 75%. Malashaan continues as Vice President, and remains influential in the Anumia cabinet. The current cabinet consists of Cerian Quilor(Grand Admiral), Sopo (Foreign Affairs), Lethen(Foreign Cultivation), Mousebumples (Interior), Matthew Vinage(Culture), Kraketopia(Communication), Hyangyo (Attorney General), and HEM(Chief of Staff). Chief of Staff is a newly re-introduced position, which has been utilized by Presidents in the past(including Anumia in previous terms). The cabinet appears to be a strong one, and will continue to focus on policy issues of importance, such as the GAP, newcomer integration, and cultural programs.

New Senate Elected

On February 8th, a new senate was elected. The senate elections featured significant emphasis on questions related to procedures for selecting the Attorney General, timing of Senate terms, and activity expectations of Senators. Seven candidates stood for senate elections, and in the end the following were elected: Elias Greyjoy, Kraketopia, Drecq, Cerian Quilor, Sopo and Raging Zen Master, representing different levels of experience from among the population of Europeia. Drecq was re-elected as Speaker of the Senate.

Europeia Enters Alliance with Equilism

In December 2013, Europeia concluded a treaty with Equilism, a storied region with a strong tradition of intellectual politics and culture, and whose membership boasts many of the game's leading players. In concluding such a treaty, the two regions agreed to not undertake hostile military or intelligence action against each other or its protectorates, and to provide defensive military assistance as needed to each other. The two parties also agreed to stage a cultural festival in the near future to mark the signing of this treaty.

Democracy on the Rise in Osiris

The recently established Osiris Fraternal Order made its first successful Delegate transfer from Venico to newly-elected Lord Ravenclaw on the 25th of January. The smooth transition indicates increased stability in the young democracy after months of tumult. Europeia was happy to aid in the transition, offering the support of both the Volunteer Navy and the Grand Fleet. Europeia looks forward to good relations with the newly-elected government and wishes Raven well as he takes the reins.

President Anumia hosts Open Skype Night

President Anumia hosted his first Open Skype Night in mid-december. It lasted two hours and he answered questions on a range of topics from The Great Architecture Project to his Re-election bid. People from all over Europeia came to the text chat while Anumia, Lethen, and Seven Deaths were talking on the audio chat. The chat was a success, and future events like this one are eagerly anticipated.

Interview With Mousebumples, Citizens' Assembly Chairwoman

You've done a lot this term, including starting up a new CA newspaper. What do you hope to accomplish with this?

Two big things - Information and Integration
I have two different newspaper related visions for the CA. I want to report TO Euro on what the CA is up to. This may inspire some individuals to join the CA, or perhaps to reach out to us with ideas that they think we could help tackle. Additionally, I want to report TO the CA on Euro. I think the CA is a great jumping off point for a lot of newcomers to get their feet wet, and while I'd love to hoard their interest and activity for my own purposes ... they may find their niche in a Ministry or in the Navy or a different aspect of Euro. I'd also like to use that paper to spotlight important individuals in Euro or the CA/CC history and perhaps improve understanding of the history of the CA over the past few years.

You have been trying to recruit new members into the CA, how is that going?

I haven't done as much active recruiting this term - other than increasing our spread of duties and opportunities upon last term and the terms before. I've been wanting to wait until more of our "new activities" have become more than plans and are a reality. However .... that more passive recruiting seems to be going well, as our membership numbers are up, and we're closing in on 30 full members. As of this writing, we have 29 full members and 5 associate members.
I'm hopeful, though, that once we get more of an established rhythm within the CA this term that our actions will appeal to more players - be they newcomers or established Europeian residents. I'd like to diversify enough to have something to interest just about everyone. Yes, legislative activities are a primary focus of the Citizens' Assembly ... but I don't think that should be our only focus.

Do you have ideas in mind to strengthen membership?

I really want to try to encourage active participation and leadership within the CA and have done that to some extent already by increasing my number of deputies this term. I hope to continue to have Assemblymen play important roles within the CA and her functions, and I hope a few new faces (at least in terms of CA activity levels) will begin to do more and participate more during the balance of this term.

What led to the decision to spread the word through the EBC (with help from Kraketopia)?

When I mentioned the possibility of a newspaper in my platform, Anumia welcomed the idea of using the EBC. When it came time to consider deputies for this term, I knew that I would need some help with the newspaper side of things since I've never written something like this before, with regards to any of the NS regions or organizations that I've been a part of. Given Kraketopia's activity in the CA - and his obvious expertise in this area - it seemed like a natural fit. He's doing a great job of helping me (and the CA) strike a balance between informative and thoughtful ... and amusing entertainment.

In broad terms (or detailed if you would like)- What is the CA hoping to accomplish with the Europeian Election Review?

There's a couple of things going. It started as an attempt to see if a Committee-Style format would work - or how it would work in the CA. That aspect is still being evaluated, but the overall intent of the Europeian Election Review is to review (duh) the relevant electoral laws and tweaks things to work in such a way that would better suit the needs of our region.
There are good facets to our current election law, but the rigidness of some of the timing and dates doesn't allow for any shifting of dates due to holidays or other external circumstances. I think we would all hate to see an election invalidated due to a challenge that the process violated electoral law. With the guidance of Malashaan (who is leading the committee), I hope that we'll be able to pass on one or more pieces of pre-legislation for Senate consideration.

Fake News

HEM Actually a Hologram, No-one Noticed for Months

Many Europeian citizens were shocked this morning to turn on their radios and hear the news that Supreme Chancellor HEM is, in fact, a hologram. Sources in the capital say that on Monday when an intern from the Goldenblock was tasked with delivering important files to the Chancellery building, they weren't looking where they were going, and accidentally bumped into the venerable Supreme Chancellor - or, they would have, if they had not in fact fallen right through the simulated, projected image that serves as a cornerstone of the Republic. Stunned and unsure of what to do, the intern reportedly fled the building immediately, but confessed the event over lunch the next day to a coworker, who telegrammed the media.

President Anumia ordered an immediate investigation, and a taskforce led by Grand Admiral Cerian Quilor saw military units temporarily lock down the Supreme Chancellor's "living" quarters for a thorough check of the premises. The inquest revealed that the elder statesman we have all looked towards as a source of wisdom and continuity over many years actually died in late 2012, and in fact his role had been taken over by a portable hologram device for some sixteen months since then.

Reporters from the Marble Tribune immediately contacted Supreme Chancellor Lethen for comment. He initially appeared shocked at the news, but further questioning of some inconsistencies in his story led to a full breakdown and admission. The Supreme Chancellor (who is definitely flesh and blood; we checked) was quoted as saying, "Look, when the old bugger kicked the bucket after tripping over some of his own red tape and falling down the stairs in November 2012, what was I supposed to do? Everyone seems to rely on the odd public appearance or occasionally coherent mumble that he would give us, and I'm too damn busy to completely fill his shoes."

What is perhaps most surprising is that prior to this incident, no-one seemed to have noticed much of a difference. One Chancellery staffer who worked for HEM for just shy of a decade, when told of the news, responded, "Well I'll be damned. I did find it odd that he didn't give me a high five every morning like he used to, but I thought he was just becoming more frail or something..."

An initial poll assessing the broader community's reaction to this news is currently showing that 73% of citizens "really can't tell the difference", while 26% are "vastly more interested in hearing about the flesh being displayed in The Zenyan", and the remaining 1% of citizens are, themselves, also holograms.

Delay in President's Speech Fuels Speculation He is Planning a Comeback Tour

President Anumia, best known for his glorious statue looming over the good people of Arnhelm, has yet to release an official speech in his second contiguous Presidency. While the first term saw multiple speeches, radio broadcasts, and interviews, so far despite being quite visibly seen in action, he has not addressed the Republic with a customary, formal speech.

Citizens have been noted as anxious to hear what the President has to say about the current state of affairs; one woman in the marketplace today gushed, "I have kept my only radio locked on the official broadcast dial for a month now, not listening to any of my regular stations, because I don't want to miss this speech!"

Over the past several days, rumours have been circulating through Europeia that Anumia is deliberately holding off on a broadcast in order to build anticipation for a big announcement. The chief punter and general spymaster within the Supreme Chancellery, Ekaj, was noted on the record saying, "If my political compass is correct, he's going to announce a comeback tour, any time now. The alternative pop scene just hasn't been the same without him, and I know he's itching to get back on stage."

Could the former pop star, current statesman be looking to spread his wings once more? The last concert tour back in 2008 sold out across the region, but when Anumia announced he was retiring from the music scene to pursue a career in politics most commentators thought he had abandoned diamond-studded microphones forever. One music producer who has requested to remain nameless heavily implied that the President is running short of money for marble polish, but a former manager of Anumia's during his 2007 heyday has strongly opposed such a suggestion, saying, "The man was born to sing. He loved his time on stage. I bet he's dying to get back into the limelight, and being President just isn't exciting enough."

Whatever the real reason behind his impending comeback, we at the Marble Tribune just hope he'll give us a new, live rendition of "No-one Expected The New Inquisition".

Code:
[big][big][b]Europeia's February 2014 Foreign Update[/b][/big][/big]

[big][b]President Anumia Wins Second Term, New Cabinet Formed[/b][/big]

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThjEPVxFuaI1-Fkno7qqyx0-d1H_ACCEVxqr2WlKLNPi-0VF6uXw[/IMG]

President Anumia won his second consecutive term, securing 76.3% of the electoral vote, an increase from his past election's performance of 75%. Malashaan continues as Vice President, and remains influential in the Anumia cabinet. The current cabinet consists of Cerian Quilor(Grand Admiral), Sopo (Foreign Affairs), Lethen(Foreign Cultivation), Mousebumples (Interior), Matthew Vinage(Culture), Kraketopia(Communication), Hyangyo (Attorney General), and HEM(Chief of Staff). Chief of Staff is a newly re-introduced position, which has been utilized by Presidents in the past(including Anumia in previous terms). The cabinet appears to be a strong one, and will continue to focus on policy issues of importance, such as the GAP, newcomer integration, and cultural programs.

[big][b]New Senate Elected[/b][/big]

[big][b]Europeia Enters Alliance with Equilism[/b][/big]

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIZAEKszErDDOPXj-tBlfdmfivkavvTEes_vUT0HGtIWKfW_kE[/IMG]

In December 2013, Europeia concluded a treaty with Equilism, a storied region with a strong tradition of intellectual politics and culture, and whose membership boasts many of the game's leading players. In concluding such a treaty, the two regions agreed to not undertake hostile military or intelligence action against each other or its protectorates, and to provide defensive military assistance as needed to each other. The two parties also agreed to stage a cultural festival in the near future to mark the signing of this treaty.

[big][b]Democracy on the Rise in Osiris[/b][/big]

The recently established Osiris Fraternal Order made its first successful Delegate transfer from Venico to newly-elected Lord Ravenclaw on the 25th of January. The smooth transition indicates increased stability in the young democracy after months of tumult. Europeia was happy to aid in the transition, offering the support of both the Volunteer Navy and the Grand Fleet. Europeia looks forward to good relations with the newly-elected government and wishes Raven well as he takes the reins.

[big][b]President Anumia hosts Open Skype Night[/b][/big]

President Anumia hosted his first Open Skype Night in mid-december. It lasted two hours and he answered questions on a range of topics from The Great Architecture Project to his Re-election bid. People from all over Europeia came to the text chat while Anumia, Lethen, and Seven Deaths were talking on the audio chat. The chat was a success, and future events like this one are eagerly anticipated.

[big][b]Interview With Mousebumples, Citizens' Assembly Chairwoman[/b][/big]

[IMG]http://campusgoal.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/University-Interview-a32139.jpg[/IMG]

[b]You've done a lot this term, including starting up a new CA newspaper.  What do you hope to accomplish with this?[/b]

Two big things - Information and Integration
I have two different newspaper related visions for the CA. I want to report TO Euro on what the CA is up to. This may inspire some individuals to join the CA, or perhaps to reach out to us with ideas that they think we could help tackle. Additionally, I want to report TO the CA on Euro. I think the CA is a great jumping off point for a lot of newcomers to get their feet wet, and while I'd love to hoard their interest and activity for my own purposes ... they may find their niche in a Ministry or in the Navy or a different aspect of Euro. I'd also like to use that paper to spotlight important individuals in Euro or the CA/CC history and perhaps improve understanding of the history of the CA over the past few years.

[b]You have been trying to recruit new members into the CA, how is that going?[/b]

I haven't done as much active recruiting this term - other than increasing our spread of duties and opportunities upon last term and the terms before. I've been wanting to wait until more of our "new activities" have become more than plans and are a reality. However .... that more passive recruiting seems to be going well, as our membership numbers are up, and we're closing in on 30 full members. As of this writing, we have 29 full members and 5 associate members.
I'm hopeful, though, that once we get more of an established rhythm within the CA this term that our actions will appeal to more players - be they newcomers or established Europeian residents. I'd like to diversify enough to have something to interest just about everyone. Yes, legislative activities are a primary focus of the Citizens' Assembly ... but I don't think that should be our only focus.

[b]Do you have ideas in mind to strengthen membership?[/b]

I really want to try to encourage active participation and leadership within the CA and have done that to some extent already by increasing my number of deputies this term. I hope to continue to have Assemblymen play important roles within the CA and her functions, and I hope a few new faces (at least in terms of CA activity levels) will begin to do more and participate more during the balance of this term.

[b]What led to the decision to spread the word through the EBC (with help from Kraketopia)?[/b]

When I mentioned the possibility of a newspaper in my platform, Anumia welcomed the idea of using the EBC. When it came time to consider deputies for this term, I knew that I would need some help with the newspaper side of things since I've never written something like this before, with regards to any of the NS regions or organizations that I've been a part of. Given Kraketopia's activity in the CA - and his obvious expertise in this area - it seemed like a natural fit. He's doing a great job of helping me (and the CA) strike a balance between informative and thoughtful ... and amusing entertainment.

[b]In broad terms (or detailed if you would like)- What is the CA hoping to accomplish with the Europeian Election Review?[/b]

There's a couple of things going. It started as an attempt to see if a Committee-Style format would work - or how it would work in the CA. That aspect is still being evaluated, but the overall intent of the Europeian Election Review is to review (duh) the relevant electoral laws and tweaks things to work in such a way that would better suit the needs of our region.
There are good facets to our current election law, but the rigidness of some of the timing and dates doesn't allow for any shifting of dates due to holidays or other external circumstances. I think we would all hate to see an election invalidated due to a challenge that the process violated electoral law. With the guidance of Malashaan (who is leading the committee), I hope that we'll be able to pass on one or more pieces of pre-legislation for Senate consideration.

[big][b]Fake News[/b][/big]

[i]HEM Actually a Hologram, No-one Noticed for Months[/i]

Many Europeian citizens were shocked this morning to turn on their radios and hear the news that Supreme Chancellor HEM is, in fact, a hologram. Sources in the capital say that on Monday when an intern from the Goldenblock was tasked with delivering important files to the Chancellery building, they weren't looking where they were going, and accidentally bumped into the venerable Supreme Chancellor - or, they would have, if they had not in fact fallen right through the simulated, projected image that serves as a cornerstone of the Republic. Stunned and unsure of what to do, the intern reportedly fled the building immediately, but confessed the event over lunch the next day to a coworker, who telegrammed the media.

President Anumia ordered an immediate investigation, and a taskforce led by Grand Admiral Cerian Quilor saw military units temporarily lock down the Supreme Chancellor's "living" quarters for a thorough check of the premises. The inquest revealed that the elder statesman we have all looked towards as a source of wisdom and continuity over many years actually died in late 2012, and in fact his role had been taken over by a portable hologram device for some sixteen months since then.

Reporters from the Marble Tribune immediately contacted Supreme Chancellor Lethen for comment. He initially appeared shocked at the news, but further questioning of some inconsistencies in his story led to a full breakdown and admission. The Supreme Chancellor (who is definitely flesh and blood; we checked) was quoted as saying, "Look, when the old bugger kicked the bucket after tripping over some of his own red tape and falling down the stairs in November 2012, what was I supposed to do? Everyone seems to rely on the odd public appearance or occasionally coherent mumble that he would give us, and I'm too damn busy to completely fill his shoes."

What is perhaps most surprising is that prior to this incident, no-one seemed to have noticed much of a difference. One Chancellery staffer who worked for HEM for just shy of a decade, when told of the news, responded, "Well I'll be damned. I did find it odd that he didn't give me a high five every morning like he used to, but I thought he was just becoming more frail or something..."

An initial poll assessing the broader community's reaction to this news is currently showing that 73% of citizens "really can't tell the difference", while 26% are "vastly more interested in hearing about the flesh being displayed in The Zenyan", and the remaining 1% of citizens are, themselves, also holograms.

[i]Delay in President's Speech Fuels Speculation He is Planning a Comeback Tour[/i]

President Anumia, best known for his glorious statue looming over the good people of Arnhelm, has yet to release an official speech in his second contiguous Presidency. While the first term saw multiple speeches, radio broadcasts, and interviews, so far despite being quite visibly seen in action, he has not addressed the Republic with a customary, formal speech.

Citizens have been noted as anxious to hear what the President has to say about the current state of affairs; one woman in the marketplace today gushed, "I have kept my only radio locked on the official broadcast dial for a month now, not listening to any of my regular stations, because I don't want to miss this speech!"

Over the past several days, rumours have been circulating through Europeia that Anumia is deliberately holding off on a broadcast in order to build anticipation for a big announcement. The chief punter and general spymaster within the Supreme Chancellery, Ekaj, was noted on the record saying, "If my political compass is correct, he's going to announce a comeback tour, any time now. The alternative pop scene just hasn't been the same without him, and I know he's itching to get back on stage."

Could the former pop star, current statesman be looking to spread his wings once more? The last concert tour back in 2008 sold out across the region, but when Anumia announced he was retiring from the music scene to pursue a career in politics most commentators thought he had abandoned diamond-studded microphones forever. One music producer who has requested to remain nameless heavily implied that the President is running short of money for marble polish, but a former manager of Anumia's during his 2007 heyday has strongly opposed such a suggestion, saying, "The man was born to sing. He loved his time on stage. I bet he's dying to get back into the limelight, and being President just isn't exciting enough."

Whatever the real reason behind his impending comeback, we at the Marble Tribune just hope he'll give us a new, live rendition of "No-one Expected The New Inquisition".

All we need now is Presidential approval, Foreign Affairs to affix appropriate seals, and a fake news section if Anumia wants to provide one.

Fake News:

Code:
[url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/topic/8895492/]HEM Actually a Hologram, No-one Noticed for Months[/url]
[url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/topic/8895886/]Delay in President's Speech Fuels Speculation He is Planning a Comeback Tour[/url]
[url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/topic/8896847/]Great Architecture Project a Front for Building a Giant Statue of Anumia[/url]
Elias Either Helped or Hurt the Nazis Depending on Who You Talk To
A Sexy Mouse Appointed To Interior, Population Expected To Skyrocket

President Anumia won his second consecutive term, securing 76.3% of the electoral vote, an increase from his past election's performance of 75%. Malashaan continues as Vice President, and remains influential in the Anumia cabinet. The new cabinet consists of Cerian Quilor(Grand Admiral), Moronist Decisions(Foreign Affairs), Lethen(Foreign Cultivation), Mousebumples(Interior), Matthew Vinage(Culture), Kraketopia(Communication), Sopo(Attorney General), and HEM(Chief of Staff). Chief of Staff is a newly re-introduced position, which has been utilized by Presidents in the past(including Anumia in previous terms). The cabinet appears to be a strong one, and will continue to focus on policy issues of importance, such as the GAP, newcomer integration, and cultural programs.

This needs editing to

Back