ENN Election Coverage

HEM: "And we are back, we have some new numbers for our viewers.

As of 3:30 PM EST GMT-4, the results are as follows:

Drecq (President)/Elias Greyjoy (Vice President) [IND] 8 (32%)
Kraketopia (President)/Pope Lexus X (Vice President) [IND] 17 (68%)

Drecq has rallied slightly from a few hours again when he held less than 30% of the vote, but it is certainly a disappointing early start for him and his supporters. We are joined now by the candidate myself, Drecq. Welcome aboard Mr. Speaker!"

Drecq: "My pleasure."

HEM: "A little bit of a disappointing start for your side, do you see a pathway to victory still?"

Drecq: "Likely not. Looking at elections immediatly in the past, I would have to receive every last vote not cast at this point. Thats unlikely. But Im not too unhappy about it. I would have liked to have won this election, but even without it I wont be off Europeias political radar."

HEM: "Now, you should know that ENN has not yet made a projection in this race, because we anticipate increased turnout this election, but I agree it would be an uphill climb at this point. Assuming you lose -- which is still an assumption -- what do you see in your future?"

Drecq: "I'll likely let someone else get a turn at the wheel in the Speakers Office. Maybe Mal would like to reclaim his title as longest-serving Speaker. Which of course doesnt mean that I wont try to get reelected to the Senate. Id certainly like to take a shot at the Office of the Chief Justice, which will likely be vacated soon. In the executive Ill obviously have my hands full filling Mouses hole in Interior. And if Im not burned out after all that Ill eventually run for President again. Likely not next time but eventually."

HEM: "What do you think happened in this race? Was Kraketopia just the rising star, did Lexus bring alot star power, or what?"

Drecq: "I'm not sure. The entire race was lackluster and we both allowed some pretty big gaffs at one point or another. But where Kraken really got a lot of votes was newer members, like Zenny, Kaiser and RZM. A group which mostly converses over Skype and which the Kraken is a part of. Im not. Aside from that there obviously was diminished interest from older members. A part probably disliked my choice of VP, although I do stand behind it. And a part probably disliked my rhetoric on foreign affairs, although I did try to show that it was mostly that, rhetoric, and not an actual plan to turn away from our allies and towards people we have historically been at odds with."

HEM: "Do think that the "Skype club" is a bad thing? Will it result in friends voting for friends, and not educated choices?"

Drecq: "There was in part there some voting for friends. After all did anyone ever expect Zenny not to vote for her NS-husband? But I dont think thats necessarily a bad thing. We all want someone in the big chair we know and like. How we get to know them is secondary to the matter."

HEM: "Thanks for your time Drecq, is there anything you wanted to add?"

Drecq: "My pleasure and sure: I wish the Kraken and Lexus all the luck in the world and Ill be looking forward to what they accomplish in the Goldenblock."

HEM: "Alrighty folks, that was Speaker Drecq. We'll be back right after this."

modernsin said:
Wish I hadn't already made my daily quota of Mouse-related sexual innuendos. :p

Good interview.
Christ. I didnt even see that until you just mentioned it... :emb:

Drecq acquitted himself with dignity in that interview. Well done. I'm surprised by the results we've seen so far. To Drecq's credit he'll still be around contributing at a high level. Not all unsuccessful presidential candidates do that.

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpZUNJK82M[/flash]

HEM: "At 4:05 PM EST, The E-News Network is ready to project that Kraketopia will be the next President of Europeia. Over the last seven months Kraketopia has taken a crash course in public service and is now ready to take his place at the head of the region. He will be joined, of course, by Vice President Pope Lexus X who is a celebrated former President himself. The results as they currently stand:

Drecq (President)/Elias Greyjoy (Vice President) [IND] 8 (28.6%)
Kraketopia (President)/Pope Lexus X (Vice President) [IND] 20 (71.4%)

This is not the election we anticipated, this is not the election the polls pointed to, and this is not an election where the debate seemed to make any difference at all. What happened here?

PhDre: "I dont know if any of us saw this coming - Kraken winning to this extent. It's a testement to the campaign and platform he ran on. I think Drecq's platform may have been sitting around for a bit too long for his own good considering its lack of depth, with neither candidate going on the aggressive in the debate, it may have been a wash. I think Kraken definitely benefits from the youthful vote as a younger member himself, and all these elements coming together have proplled him to a much bigger lead than we've anticipated. I also think this is somehwat of an anomoly because candidates don't usually end up with sub 30% of the vote, especially not candidates as qualified as Drecq. Sometiemes you just throw your hands up and have to admit that you got it wrong - and the whole region is surprised."

Modern Sin: "Honestly, that's a tough one. I hope that citizens and pundits continue talking about this election after it ends, because even the pre-election polls couldn't predict this wide a margin. I think Europeia at the moment has a relatively large stable of newer members who joined in 2013-14. The increasingly casual nature of the forums, as well as the popularity of group skype chats, help ensure that newer members are more involved than they were even a year ago. Kraken's heavier presence in these casual, culture-friendly areas of the region secures for him a rock-solid voting base comprising these new members, as well as older members who involve themselves in these areas too.

The debate doesn't seem to have had as large an impact as some, including myself, predicted or hoped for. Before the debate I would have favored Kraken slightly above Drecq for the win, and the debate's sterile atmosphere as well as the total non-engagement between the two candidates made the debate a big missed opportunity for Drecq to regain leverage."

Jay Leno: "I predicted Kraketopia to win by a large margin, because that's the story the polls told the whole time. We commissioned a poll that showed Kraketopia was an extraordinary loyal support base, and a contingent of soft supporters. We saw Drecq had a small group of strong and 'leaning' supporters alike, and those who were lusting after a close election didn't consider the implications of that. Kraketopia came into election day with a base, and Drecq didn't -- it's that simple. We lumped "strong" and "leaning" supporters together for the top sheet result, which made it look fairly competitive, but it just didn't end up that way. The polls weren't wrong, we were."

Paul Krugman: "I think Jay is right. I think we easily disregarded the "strong" vs. "leaning" distinction, and it ended up being a very important difference. Kraketopia kept his supporters, grabbed the undecideds, maybe a few Drecq leaners, and here we are."

Kraketopia kept his supporters, grabbed the undecideds, maybe a few Drecq leaners, and here we are

Krugman, you make it sound so easy!

Up Next

- ENN talks to incoming Vice President Pope Lexus X

After that

- More commentary and election discussion. We'll take a look at the Senate elections a month away.

Then Later

- Possible interview with President-elect Kraketopia

HEM: "We are happy to be back with Vice President-elect Pope Lexus X!"

Lexus: "Boo."

HEM: "Hows it feel being back at the forefront of Europeian politics?"

Lexus: "Honestly? It feels fantastic. I'm very excited at the prospect of diving back into Europeia's political fires again."

HEM: "How do you think you and Kraketopia won this decisive of a victory?"

Lexus: "There's still hours left in the race so no victory just yet! The criticisms that have been aired so far during this election are very telling - Europeia is hungry for something different, though perhaps not sure what it wants. I believe the people have faith that all candidates here could succeed in their objectives but Kraketopia stands out as someone who is personable and dedicated to providing the level of communication direct from the President that has been missing lately. The numbers might show a big difference, but I believe that does not reflect the true picture of this election. Kraketopia and I will not go into the next term complacent if we win."

HEM: "Well, ENN has called the election, so you've won to us! What made you agree to re-enter Presidential politics? How did Kraketopia approach you?"

Lexus: "I actually considered running for the teal myself this term but when I heard Kraketopia was going for it, I thought a new face in the executive would be better for the region now than some old fart from the stone age. He came to me, presumably knowing I had an interest, so we talked about his and my ideas and I couldn't say no. There's a lot I want to do for Europeia this term and while the courts have been my baby for sometime, I think seven months there is enough and it's time for someone new to take over. There is also a real-life work factor which may make this term my last executive term - so I want to make sure I leave Europeia in the best possible condition before I become an obscurity once again."

HEM: "There's a tendency for older members who return to the Executive (cough cough me) to burn out halfway through. Do you anticipate finishing this term?"

Lexus: "Absolutely. You asked me that question when I came back to activity this time last year and I saw out two Senate terms and 7 months in the Judiciary since then. I don't make idle committments - and I don't have many RL obligations for the next term so Europeia has my word that I will see out the next 70 days as VP."

HEM: "Many people in Europeia are worried that, should Kraketopia resign, a relative newcomer with little experience would be ascending into the Goldenblock. How would you reassure people that you have requisite experience?" :ph43r:

Lexus: "God help us all if that happens.. I'll start the VoNC myself"

HEM: "If you could only accomplish a single thing this term, what would it be?"

Lexus: "If I had to pick... mm.. I hate limited choices.. I suppose the thing I want most is to herald in a new wave of active, dedicated members who will feature in various executives for the next seven years - the summer lull is hopefully about to become a myth."

HEM: "Europeia's boom of 2009 happened during your summer term....how did you do it?"

Lexus: "I had the right team and we had the right ideas and ways of implementing them. We came in a time when people were politically hungry which made things considerably easier to be fair. New members were ambitious and eager to get involved. This next term will be very similar to that one, Europeia is hungry again and it could be a game changer."

HEM: "Any advise for new members?"

Lexus: "Jump in to Europeian life. Never be afraid to propose an idea and if you get shot down, don't be afraid to propose another. Talk with members - you will not only build up your contacts here but you will learn more than looking from the shadows."

HEM: "Alrighty everyone, that was Pope Lexus X. Coming up next, we will be talking to Kraketopia's spouse: Zenya! Stay tuned!"

HEM: "And we are back. Let's take a quick look at the current results as of 9:30PM EST:

Drecq (President)/Elias Greyjoy (Vice President) [IND] 11 (32.4%)
Kraketopia (President)/Pope Lexus X (Vice President) [IND] 23 (67.6%)

Drecq is comfortably situated above 30% of the vote, but it doesn't look like he will be ending with too terribly much more. To discuss these results and more, we have media monger and Culture Minister, Zenya!"

HEM: "What are your thoughts on the results? You anticipated a strong Kraketopia victory, how do you think he got there?"

Zenny: "Kraken is an incredibly likeable man. Hes intelligent, funny, and he rarely gets into heated political fights that can sometimes ruin careers. This myth of Drecq being the Old Gaurd favorite couldnt be farther from the truth. Kraken is popular amongst -all- democraphics. Newcomers are an important demo, but honestly the stereotype that newcomers will always vote for newer people just didnt hold up."

HEM: "Some people have commented that both candidates lack the "vision" to be President. I'm guessing you disagree, so what do you think Europeia will "look like" after Kraketopia's time in office?"

Zenny: "Well a lot of what a term turns out to be is determined by the individual ministers and the willingness and time the President wants to invest in making sure things get done. I deeply beleive Kraken will use more of his time to be in communication with his minister than Anumia. When I entered the Culture Ministry, I had a list of things to get done, but I was never once told what exactly my job was or what areas were my jurisdiction or how to accomplish my goals. Frankly, Krakens message of better communication is exactly what I wanted in a Presidential candidate, because coming from experience, thats one area that I beleive needs improvement. The more direct contact the ministers have with their President, the better they will be."

HEM: "So, Kraketopia doesn't really have an overreaching vision, and is more counting on individual Ministers to leave their mark?"

Zenny: "The cabinet is a team. If all those involved arent working hard, it wont work. Honestly I dont see the need for all this "vision" junk. Kraken has worked harder than any other single minister for the last several months. I cant count how many times he has either had to pick up after someone else or had to do things that were not apart of his job for the Republic. He is and always has been 100% committed to this region. Id rather have specific plans for FA, Culture, and the Navy (as he does) than some vision that may not work out. We know that having an active Culture Ministry is good, we know that having an active Navy is even better, what hasnt been assured yet is big gambles and "visions" like the GAP. Things could go either way, but until then, yeah, we should focus on our strong cards."

HEM: "A vision does inspire people though. It says, "let's set a goal and reach it!" Working hard only goes so far if you don't get people excited too. Would you agree?"

Zenny: "I think Kraken has set tens of goals haha. Thats what a presidential platform is, your positions and your plans for the various ministries. I'm extremely excited for Kraken's Presidency, and I hope that with -hard work- people will get excited, rather than blind faith because of a platform."

HEM: "What do you think Kraketopia's greatest weakness is going into office? How will he overcome it?"

Zenny: "Thats a tough one. I really look up to Kraken, and Im just so proud of him and everything hes done that we all benefit from. I'd have to say his biggest weakness is his sex drive. Its insatiable. I mean its just "Zenny S my D" all day long. He doesn't realize my knees get tired, and its become a serious issue without our marriage. But I did order special pillows for my knees on Amazon last week, so I am sure that Kraken will overcome this great struggle."

HEM: "How would you react if, like a few months ago, the Attorney General -- and by extension your husband's government -- took you to court for a violation of some law?"

Zenny: "Thats a great question. Well, the Senate is going to be dealing with the obscenity clause, and I hope that they will see that something not breaking ToS for ZetaBoards (as confirmed by multiple admins including NES and Lethen), should not fall into the category of obscenity. But if we arent talking about obscenity specifically though, it would really depend on what law I broke. I am confident that the non-issue will not be brought up again though."

HEM: "Alrighty! thank you so much! Just as a wildcard question, do you have any advise for new members looking to get involved in the region?"

Zenny: "Well, the first thing I did was get involved in the CA and media. Theyre both fantastic routes, and I think that more constructive critcism is being given in the CA nowadays. Legislature and private media all the way!"

HEM: "Thanks so much for joining us today Zenny!"

Zenny: "My pleasure HEM"

HEM: "We will be back right after this."

HEM: "Welcome back to the final segment of ENN's May Election coverage.

The results as they stood when polls closed a few hours ago:

Drecq (President)/Elias Greyjoy (Vice President) [IND] 16 (39%)
Kraketopia (President)/Pope Lexus X (Vice President) [IND] 25 (61%)

Drecq gained a fair bit of ground toward the end, but does that change the bottom line?

Paul Krugman: "In a word: no. This was still a huge victory for Kraketopia. Drecq did managed to outperform all of Anumia's opponents, but this remains a much larger victory that pundits expected.

Jay Leno: "Something we have to consider is that all the late undecided vote probably went to Drecq, because the result was already decided."

HEM: "That's certainly possible, though it doesn't always happen that way."

John Major: "In a funny way, our prediction that the very late establishment vote would go to Drecq ended up being correct. It just was a foregone conclusion at that point."

HEM: "What about President Anumia's lack of a closing address?"

Paul Krugman: "Not surprising, though disappointing. He didn't give an Inaugural Address in either of his terms as President, and didn't like giving a traditional "speech". People criticized him for it -- maybe rightfully so -- but I'm guessing the majority of the region doesn't care seeing as he sat in the Goldenblock for six months."

HEM: "Alrighty everyone, that is it from us for now. Interview with the new President will be posted within 24 hours! Thanks everyone for watching, and adios!"

My first term had an inaugural speech, and I shall do a final speech in the Grand Hall before long; just got caught up with people IRL today :)

Zenny: "Kraken is an incredibly likeable man. Hes intelligent, funny, and he rarely gets into heated political fights that can sometimes ruin careers. This myth of Drecq being the Old Gaurd favorite couldnt be farther from the truth. Kraken is popular amongst -all- democraphics. Newcomers are an important demo, but honestly the stereotype that newcomers will always vote for newer people just didnt hold up."

I think this is correct.

A few sentences in Drecq's platform about defender outreach were poorly received. In an election with few substantive differences between the candidates, that hurt him -- no less among the "Old Guard " than among less long-tenured citizens.

I would echo CSP's comments upthread about Drecq 'a exceptional grace in defeat. I think we'll see Drecq in teal in the not-too-distant future.

Anumia said:
My first term had an inaugural speech, and I shall do a final speech in the Grand Hall before long; just got caught up with people IRL today :)
Eh, 10 days into your term isn't an Inaugural Address, no matter what you call it :p

HEM said:
Anumia said:
Eh, 10 days into your term isn't an Inaugural Address, no matter what you call it :p
It is when you operate on GAP time. :ph43r:

modernsin said:
HEM said:
Anumia said:
It is when you operate on GAP time. :ph43r:
:gentleman: I'd like to announce a CPA with our newest GAP region, Greater United League of Athenian Governors - GULAG for short. As my first order of business this term, Modern Sin has been volunteered to go as an Architect. Congratulations on being sent to the gulags mate!

Back