A Taste of Skizz: The Blog

I'm hoping to return to writing long-form pieces for the EBC in the not-too-distant future, but in the meantime, I'm committing to write more short, quick-hitting segments, which I'll post in this thread.

I called this thread a "blog," but it's really more of a dialogue -- I hope and expect that readers will comment in the thread, and their contributions will be part of the discussion.

We all know that the quality of a President's Cabinet can make or break his/her term. But what makes for a great Cabinet?

We all have our own ideas. Mine are not overarching, but post-by-post.

Foreign Affairs. The conventional wisdom is that Presidents need a sage adviser with deep knowledge of foreign policy as their MoFA. I disagree. Since two years ago, when we first made a sustained effort to focus on foreign policy, most big decisions have been made by the President personally, with input from a cadre of advisers from both inside and outside the administration. The MoFA is usually just one voice among many in this process. The MoFA is solely responsible, however, for the day-to-day functioning of the Foreign Ministry -- keeping embassies staffed, getting foreign updates produced, handling requests for new embassies, and so on. This is a better job for a highly active emergent leader than a wizened FA guru who's mostly interested in dispensing advice and engaging in diplomacy. Despite the early controversy surrounding his selection, I think Cerian was an inspired pick and will do an outstanding job.

Culture. Whereas conventional wisdom says the Foreign Minister must be experienced and knowledgeable, the Culture Ministry is most often entrusted to an emergent leader. Again, I disagree with the conventional wisdom. The difference between a good CM and a great one is that while a good one does a lot of work him/herself to create content on the forums, a great one motivates others to do the same. This is no small task -- in my time here, only Lethen has succeeded in doing this over any extended period of time. (Rachel did a nice job also, but served only part of a term.) It's no accident that Lethen is one of the region's giants (and Rachel is on the border of that territory). It's simply not realistic to expect a relatively new citizen to be able to muster the sort of JM support that someone like Lethen can. As a result, the Culture Ministry has become a career dead-end of sorts -- ministers who aren't active obviously get poor marks, but even those who do the job reasonably well get pigeonholed as social/cultural citizens, because their time here is consumed with content creation.

Interior. At election time, we hear a lot about recruiting contests, mandatory recruitment, and so on, but when the rubber hits the road, recruitment rises or falls based on whether we have a few dedicated recruiters willing to bust their ass for the good of the region. Probably the most important attribute of a good Interior Minister is to be the region's hardest working recruiter. Obviously, the MoI needs to enlist others to recruit also, but his/her success on that front usually has more to do with the overall health of the region -- and its willingness to reward prolific recruiters with rapid advancement in our system -- than it does with the quality of the MoI's efforts to enlist recruiters.

Grand Admiral. Continuity is key. From experience, we know it takes about a full term of dedicated work to transform a moribund Navy into even a mediocre fighting force. Our best GAs have stood on the shoulders of giants -- either inheriting the outstanding foundational work of his/her predecessor (as Apollo did, succeeding Rachel), or having done that foundational work him/herself in a prior term (as with CSP currently).

Citizen Integration. This job has only been done well in fits and starts -- Rachel was the best we've had in this position, but she only served half a term before being "promoted" to MoFA, and the foundations she laid were quickly washed away. I suspect we need a regional giant to transform this ministry, the way Lethen transformed Culture last year or Asperta transformed Interior in 2010-11.

Attorney General. For starters, you need a President who deems the AG important enough to include in the Cabinet. Then, you need an AG who is highly active, knowledgeable about our system, and willing to use his/her limited powers to shape policy. Hyanygo is far and away the best exemplar of such an AG.

*bumps this back onto the homepage for Skizz*

As always, pretty much nail has been hit on the head. I think in the previous few terms, this one included, we've put too much emphasis on a F. Minister being someone who is THE embodiment of Europeia's FA stance whereas the majority of the long-term decisions are made by a consistant group.

Culture is a hard one because, sometimes, it is the last one you look to fill but domestically it is probably the most important. This is the person who keeps people logged onto the forum beyond checking a few threads and moving on. Lethen's work was done by his ability to delegate and inspire 3 newcomers who were Ministers in the making. Previously I wouldn't of thought of Lethen as some kind of Culture-guru, now though I do.

Interior is one that, similar to Culture, needs to inspire and encourage those around him to pull in as many telegrams as possible since more TGs sent = more nations. How they choose to do that is up to them and the President. It can either be done by friendly nudges, contest and low quotas or authoritarian style with higher quotas and strikes being issued. Depends on personal preference which route you wish to take.

Admiral.... need nothing to say about that one.

Integration, like you said, sometimes feels a bit here-and-there. I know I wasn't sure whether to take it down the TG-only or the mentoring-more-important route. Second one, in my eyes, is firstly harder to do [since you need to convince people to talk to you] but also is what keeps people on the forum after applying for citizenship. Perhaps this sounds a bit silly but you almost need to guilt people into staying about for the first week or so. Force them to get hooked.

I think it might behoove us to break CI into two subsets - at least within the Ministry itself, to better facilitate integration as a seperate piece from welcoming, as TNI goes. They have three services within the Home Ministry - Recruitment, Immigration (Welcoming Telegrams and other on NS-site stuff) and Naturalizaion (Mentoring, et cetera). By allowing each area to focus on one thing, they've managed to improve results. Its the same logic that saw Welfare/CI spin off from Interior in the first place, no?

I think it might behoove us to break CI into two subsets - at least within the Ministry itself, to better facilitate integration as a seperate piece from welcoming, as TNI goes. They have three services within the Home Ministry - Recruitment, Immigration (Welcoming Telegrams and other on NS-site stuff) and Naturalizaion (Mentoring, et cetera). By allowing each area to focus on one thing, they've managed to improve results. Its the same logic that saw Welfare/CI spin off from Interior in the first place, no?
Changing the structure is a good idea. How people do their job will vary depending on what you tell them their job is. The fact that both good and bad ministers have achieved similarly disappointing results suggests the problem lies with the "what," not just the "how."

How does TNI make mentoring work? That's probably the area where we've had the least success.

I don't know the specifics. I know it starts with a PM to every new account made, detailing how to apply, and what to do in the meantime, etc.

I'll check with the people over there.

I don't know the specifics. I know it starts with a PM to every new account made, detailing how to apply, and what to do in the meantime, etc.

I believe that Lethen does that on his own back - usually he posts something like 'I've sent you an important PM' and I think that is a recent thing as I wasn't sent one back when I first came to the region. Though he'd be the man in the know about it.

I believe that Lethen does that on his own back - usually he posts something like 'I've sent you an important PM' and I think that is a recent thing as I wasn't sent one back when I first came to the region. Though he'd be the man in the know about it.
Started doing it when Skizzy was President or in some Cabinet role. I remember sending him a draft of the PM for feedback; wouldn't of sent it to him if he wasn't somehow involved.

Started doing it when Skizzy was President or in some Cabinet role. I remember sending him a draft of the PM for feedback; wouldn't of sent it to him if he wasn't somehow involved.

Lethen and I worked together closely on Welcoming when I was VP under PASD, and also during the following term when I was President. With script recruiting, there was no shortage of prospects, and many of them accepted our invitation to check out the forums, yet our efforts failed to generate many new citizens. This is when I became convinced that we needed to rethink our entire welcoming strategy, rather than throwing major effort into a slightly tweaked version of the old system.

I'll check with the people over there.
That may be a script I had installed in TNI's forum while I was admin there, that auto-PMed every new account. Not sure if they are still using that.

We were using a similar script here in Euro for a brief time. I removed it once we disabled PM access for newly-registered accounts, as for obvious reasons that security measure made that auto-PM strategy redundant.

Vinage said:
There is still the script that gathers all new nations to Europeia though right?
Is there? I've been inquiring for this magical NS-side welcoming script we supposedly use, whose purported functionality keeps changing depending on who I talk to, for a few months now. Nobody has been able to point me to anything.

Vinage said:
There is still the script that gathers all new nations to Europeia though right?
Is there? I've been inquiring for this magical NS-side welcoming script we supposedly use, whose purported functionality keeps changing depending on who I talk to, for a few months now. Nobody has been able to point me to anything.
If I recall my history correctly there is a script that gathers the names of all the new nations in Europeia but nothing more. It doesn't auto-send TGs or anything.

Hy' designed it [if it exists]

Just very quickly I need to dispell the notion of any automatic welcoming script. The extent to which welcoming is automated is fully explained in the welcoming guide. That is it is semi-automation.

The source code for the autotger is publicly available and I *imagine* it wouldn't be particularly hard to create a fully automated welcoming system (much like Osiris).

As for new nation name collecting, I can't remember if I did make that. I know I threw together a small script that got some wa stuff but ehhh.

*still loves and uses that WA script every day*

I think one existed but that's a think it did

Just as a note, you could always ask Solm for a auto-welcoming script. Or I think Balder has one that Durk made, though I'm less sure of that.

*throws her hat at Skizzy and runs back off*.

Just as a note, you could always ask Solm for a auto-welcoming script. Or I think Balder has one that Durk made, though I'm less sure of that.

*throws her hat at Skizzy and runs back off*.
EARTHFIE. I miss you. :(

Setting up our own auto-welcoming script isn't too hard anyway.

It may be worth waiting a few weeks though, given [violet]'s recent posts on the NS mass-tg system:

[violet]: The new TG system is basically ready to go, and will bring with it a blanket ban on automated TG sending. But this is purely because we want people to use the inbuilt mass TG tools, rather than third-party scripts that accomplish the same thing but generate 1000x more server load.

Cromarty: Will these tools include the ability to set up an auto-tg in game, in certain circumstances, such as entry to a region, which is what Osiris's auto-tg script does?

[violet]: I wasn't aware of that, so haven't considered it. My aim isn't to ban things but rather encourage people to use a more efficient system. The functionality of the Osiris tool won't be provided by the new TG system, so I wouldn't want to ban it. But once things are settled, I would think about finding a way to offer it via Mass TGs, which allow our server to store 1 message in total, not 1 per recipient.

Mass TG could significantly improve our forum activity / get passive Europeians to check out the regional forums. At least, that's as I understand how mass TG would work. Exciting stuff.

Mass TG won't be a substitute for sending welcoming TGs to new nations as soon as possible following their arrival. If I read R3n's post correctly, we'll still need to do that manually in the near term -- unless we can use a scripted approach like Osiris does (though following up with a personalized note soon after would still be desirable).

Back