A Taste of Skizz: The Blog

I'm hoping to return to writing long-form pieces for the EBC in the not-too-distant future, but in the meantime, I'm committing to write more short, quick-hitting segments, which I'll post in this thread.

I called this thread a "blog," but it's really more of a dialogue -- I hope and expect that readers will comment in the thread, and their contributions will be part of the discussion.

Not for welcoming, but for more of a quarterly TG to all Europeian nations, inviting them to the forum, or for major events / festivals, etc.

Not for welcoming, but for more of a quarterly TG to all Europeian nations, inviting them to the forum, or for major events / festivals, etc.
I think after a Presidental Election would be a good chance to do it. Or maybe a few days before the 'no voting citzenship this close to election' threshold is reached.

Also when we transition to the new forum layout (if the mass tg system is set up by then), etc.

If we ever get this mass-TG system that is meant to save the world.

Until I see it I'm still mmmm, will it

Mass TG won't be a substitute for sending welcoming TGs to new nations as soon as possible following their arrival. If I read R3n's post correctly, we'll still need to do that manually in the near term -- unless we can use a scripted approach like Osiris does (though following up with a personalized note soon after would still be desirable).
The main point I was making in my vague post was that there is a real possibility that all scripted TG may be banned in the future. In which case, creating a scripted system that will only be used for two weeks would be a waste of time.

Having said that, as Vinage mentioned, this "soon to come" release of the mass-TG system may not be that soon in the future, given the NS admins' previous record on the subject.

My views on the whole "ethical raiding" thing can be distilled to two principles:

1. There's nothing wrong with playing a game by the rules.

2. A lot of people who play NationStates don't know the rules -- which isn't our problem, but it doesn't serve our interests to gratuitously be pricks to them.

Applying these principles, I have no problem supporting allies like TNI and LKE when they raid in support of their imperialist objectives. Their gameplay shouldn't be constrained by other people's ignorance of the rules.

I'm much more ambivalent about supporting raids by organizations that purposely mess with folks who have no truck in the R/D game. I don't think their actions are immoral, but it leads people to think they are pricks -- which they no doubt enjoy. But being associated with such things hurts our interests, so we shouldn't work with them absent a benefit that outweighs that detriment. Allied support for our own raids is the benefit we receive in theory, but my sense is that their support has been underwhelming in practice. Accordingly, I think the recent trend toward less cooperation with these raiding orgs is the right move for us at this moment in our history.

If Europeia engaged in more occupations, they'd probably be more helpful in that sense - TBH was quite useful during The Creed, anyway, IIRC. They certainly gave me a good heads up about the lib attempt that they tried when I was making a hold on it.

If Europeia engaged in more occupations, they'd probably be more helpful in that sense - TBH was quite useful during The Creed, anyway, IIRC. They certainly gave me a good heads up about the lib attempt that they tried when I was making a hold on it.

Have TNI's capabilities slipped during Onder's absence?

When I was last President (which admittedly was quite a while ago), Euro and TNI combined could muster more than enough reinforcements to resist even the most determined liberation. In those days, the only thing other raider orgs brought to the table was updaters -- which, of course, are always in short supply.

Have TNI's capabilities slipped during Onder's absence?

When I was last President (which admittedly was quite a while ago), Euro and TNI combined could muster more than enough reinforcements to resist even the most determined liberation. In those days, the only thing other raider orgs brought to the table was updaters -- which, of course, are always in short supply.
TNI hasn't slipped (our response times were a bit slow for the supporters in the Christmas op, but the whole point there was to stretch us out and iron out the kinks) , but the Defenders do have the capacity to liberate, believe me. ITALIA and Dharma (bad timing aside) and they've made two attempts on South Pacific that would have won had the defenders timed it right.

The UDL's continued outreach is doing it wonders.

Now, that said, the independant/Imperialist world can must a great many supporters, and in many cases, we won't need their help, but need and 'it would make out lives much easier' are differant things.

And I know TNIAF and the RKA has been able to get updater support from TBR and TBH. I thought CSP just wasn't chosing to go for them because ERN and those groups don't agree on raiding policy.

Which isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong. It just is.

Reacting to President Swakistek's State of the Republic speech:

- There's a growing sense that the region is going a bit sideways, and Swak doesn't acknowledge that. If that concern proves misguided, people won't care that Swak didn't coddle their feelings at this moment, but if the sense that we're slipping grows, it will be hard for Swak to overcome the perception that he was slow to act.

- CSP is doing a fine job with the Navy. I'm glad that Swak is thinking about succession -- CSP isn't going to run the show forever; now is the time to start grooming a successor, even if CSP intends to stay aboard for the balance of this term, or even longer.

- Swak's discussion of Interior betrays no hint that the ministry is in disarray. Perhaps Drecq is now emerging from a deluge of RL commitments and will put the pedal to the metal (and persuade others to join him), but if that's the case, a frank acknowledgement of the recent dip in activity, similar to what Swak said about the Navy, would've been reassuring.

- I commend Swak for recognizing that our welcoming program is broken and needs a thoroughgoing overhaul. Remsol's mea culpa ensured that his nomination as MoCI will sail through the Senate in this land of second chances. Remsol needs to remember, however, that beneath Europeia's willingness to give him a second chance, there is an abiding skepticism that will only be overcome by actions, not words.

- Swak's foreign policy still gets an "incomplete" grade. This is OK -- it takes a while to bring diplomatic initiatives to fruition, and there wasn't much in the pipeline when Swak took office. Swak could build some goodwill on this front with a speech that lays out his vision -- as always, specific in-progress initiatives should be kept under wraps, but those of us who are in the know can make out the contours of an overarching vision. Swak would do well to find a suitable occasion to articulate that vision.

I still think the solution is to formally spin welcoming out of CI, to keep very clear to CI itself what it is. Put welcoming as a subbureau of Interior or
something.

And at least we have admins that grant citizenship fairly promptly. Whereas TNI has a Kaiserin who is too inactive to and too petty to share that authority. *stops before he rants about TNI too much*

- CSP is doing a fine job with the Navy. I'm glad that Swak is thinking about succession -- CSP isn't going to run the show forever; now is the time to start grooming a successor, even if CSP intends to stay aboard for the balance of this term, or even longer.
I'd have a hard time imagining staying in that post beyond the expiration of the current term. Though I had wished to only move on once I knew I could do no more with the Navy, I realize now that we'll only get to that point after developments both internally and in our foreign policy that will take some time yet. That's more time than I am willing or able to give continuously. I hope I'll leave a foundation that allows us to finally reach our full potential in terms of military gameplay but I don't see myself being the leader of that golden age.

And at least we have admins that grant citizenship fairly promptly. Whereas TNI has a Kaiserin who is too inactive to and too petty to share that authority. *stops before he rants about TNI too much*
You don't think I'm petty? I don't share that job with anyone. :p

You don't think I'm petty? I don't share that job with anyone. :p
I don't mind because you actually, you know, do it. If the Kaiserin was doing the job (or Onder active enough to do it), then there'd be no problem with her unwillingness to share.

We've had some boring legislative elections in my time here, but this one takes the cake. I thought we would have a couple late entrants to create a lively race, but it now appears that won't happen. Therefore, we have six candidates vying for five seats. And with no disrespect to Remsol, who has been working hard for the good of the region, I think he's likely to be the odd man out.

People will understandably be unhappy about how this election season has unfolded. As a result, NES's legislative reform proposals are likely to fall on fertile ground. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, it does seem that NES has put his finger on a chronic, structural problem, and an election is an opportune time to wrestle with novel solutions to such problems. On the other hand, I'm not necessarily sold on NES's proposed solution.

I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the notion of radical reform, but I have a few preliminary thoughts on NES's specific proposals.

1. The Senate's problems aren't as bad as NES seems to think. It wasn't long ago that the Senate was immersed in the weighty task of rewriting the region's laws. That task took three terms to complete, and by all accounts, the final product was commendable. If this means there is little for the current Senate to do, then that means the Senate is a victim of its own success. That's an important insight.

2. The Citizens Assembly has been chronically ineffective. If the Senate is trapped by its past success, entrusting the future of our laws to the Citizens Assembly seems like a prescription to demolish that success, not to build on it. If we ultimately decide that radical reform is necessary, I would rather create new institutions than attempt to breathe life into the chronically troubled CA.

3. We shouldn't give the Senate a new job just to justify its continued existence. To be fair, this is not what NES is suggesting -- I'm sure he thinks that having the Senate serve as a council of elders would be good for the region. I disagree. There is a reason that we have concentrated power in the Executive branch over the years -- the Executive is, of necessity, the branch that gets things done, and the people who are in charge of getting things done ought to have the largest say in what gets done and how it gets done. If anything, old-timers like NES and me who no longer do the yeoman's work of government have too much say, not too little.

I hope this post isn't seen as a criticism of NES personally. He's a deeply committed citizen and will most certainly have my vote in tomorrow's election. And as I said above, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of radical reform. If we're going to go that route, however, there should be a range of proposals -- not just one man's ideas versus the status quo. If NES's ideas start that discussion, he will have done this region a great service.

Also, we should make sure the merits of the status quo are fully defended in any discussion of radical reform. Let's face it -- most regions would kill to have the "problems" we face. That doesn't mean we should stand pat, but neither should we disregard the role that our institutional underpinnings have played in our current strength.

Maybe it has been a boring election, but things aren't going to stay boring for long.

I think the problem has been worse than NES thinks for quite some time. But you bring up very valid points, as always.

You make some good points that I like some and don't like others of, but I'd quibble over this point

2. The Citizens Assembly has been chronically ineffective. If the Senate is trapped by its past success, entrusting the future of our laws to the Citizens Assembly seems like a prescription to demolish that success, not to build on it. If we ultimately decide that radical reform is necessary, I would rather create new institutions than attempt to breathe life into the chronically troubled CA.

The problem, inherently, is not the CA/CC itself, but rather how utterly toothless it is. NES's proposal would give the CA actual power, which would turn the previous calculus on the CA on its head, as its power to legislate fully would mean that it would attract legislatively-inclined people.

One would hope. If it doesn't, it's still a recipe for innovation. I dunno if I like how his proposal seems to declaw the Senate, but I'm sure he won't be able to convince his fellow Senators to pass a bill that would do so. A compromise would havta be reached, and I'm positive that'd change his plans for the CA, as well.

Back