Too Raider? Let's get real.

Foreword:

I apologize in advance if this is a bit too rant-like, it is likely huge rant. Anyway, I've decided to post my own views on Moderatism and the UDL, with the perspective being my own. Personally, I found it interesting to think about moderatism more in depth and hope you find it interesting as well.

Moderatism

In recent weeks, this idea of moderate has emerged. According its proponent, it’s light raiding and this idea that the removal of embassies and tags are too much let alone regional destruction. Abbey harkens back to the days when Euro did multiple raids in an update that it did raid. However, this view is inconsistent considering that one of the groups she criticizes is The Black Hawks.

The whole raiding system that Europeia had in late 2010 to mid 2011 was based on The Black Hawks raiding system. This was Halcones system, this was the way The Black Hawks raided and many of the things Abbey criticizes are in fact staples of The Black Hawks. When she states that she wouldn’t likely build ties with new groups, I highly suspect that she means The Black Hawks, a group whose members have been critical of the idea of the moderatism advanced by herself.

The strangest part for me about moderatism, is that Abbey states she has no issue with any Europeian raids and most of the raids Europeia supports. Her qualm was that she was being ordered to support those few raids. The Europeian response led by myself and then-President North East Somerset was to include Abbey within the current structure and deal with her concerns as a whole by allowing her to create her own group within the Navy. This however was rejected and subsequent offers of teamwork were also rejected. I think the trouble with Abbeys moderate movement is that it has established itself as being distinct from the current Navy and from it’s roots with The Black Hawks.

The Issue with the UDL

Our foreign policy should be based on more than simply raiding and defending. This has been consistent both in Foreign Affairs and on the military side of things. After all, our Navy was used to build ties with The South Pacific and other game created regions and the treaties we signed were with non-raider regions. This whole idea of increased militarism and move into raiderdom is not supported by the facts. In fact, it is difficult to say where this view even came into being. After all, we moved away from Halcone (The Black Hawks) flash raiding and into a more independent focus. What were our proudest achievements last term?

Military

Working with The South Pacific.

Re-Founding A United Kingdom, the descendent of a former FRA region.

Foreign Affairs

A treaty with Lazarus

Advancing our ties with independent and neutral regions

Yet, somehow it has been stated by some that opposing the UDL in foreign affairs is an example of extreme-raiderism. This is despite the fact that the reasons for advancing this view never touches upon the fact that it’s due to they’re raider. It’s due to the fact that they hold anti-Europeian policies.

Their leader, Unibot, has been willing to oppose Europeia in any spectrum due to the fact that we raid. Our values do not matter and the fact that we’re a democracy is taken a slap in the face to them. After all, how can those who impose tyranny on natives (Note: UDL rhetoric) be non-tyrannical? According to Unibot, our system is built for those tyrants and not a true democracy. Hence, according to the UDL, Europeia must be opposed and punished for its crimes. Any acceptance of Europeia on the world stage is a legitimization of its “bullying” and “intolerance”. The lengths he will go to oppose anyone associated with raiding are long and bizarre.

Recently in The South Pacific (he’s a judge there), he lobbied all the UDLers (many of them inactive) in the region to vote against the upcoming TNI treaty due to the fact that it raids. Another UDLer joined TSP simply to vote against that treaty, although the UDL claims that he did this on his own accord and wasn’t ordered to influence the regions vote. He accused former Delegate Southern Bellz (the Delegate disposed in Sedge’s coup of the region) of working for DEN. Another long time citizen, Antarial, with no ties to The New Inquisition was secretly a TNIer according to Unibot.

In Balder, similar election dirty tricks were employed to try to prevent anyone with raider ties from gaining a position. As well, his brazen recruiting of members from other regions and organizations is also a cause for concern. But my biggest qualm with Unibot is the abuse he levels at those who oppose him. It is here, that I’m likely biased towards the organization, perhaps too much so. But the stuff he says to people at times is extremely hateful. It is here that I call hypocrisy on this idea that the group was created to prevent bullying. Unibot has commented that he says what he says because “people get in the way”.

Is this really a raider/defender phenomenon as those moderates label it as?

Defender stalwarts, TITO will not work with them and refuse to have relations.

The defender org and alliance, the FRA, according to Unibot and other UDL higher-ups are utterly corrupt. (Unibot resigned from the FRA as Arch-Chancellor). The FRA is not kind to the UDL in turn.

The Rejected Realms is infamous for it’s rivalry with Unibot, stemming from Unibots accusation that they have always had it in for him and had forced him from the FRA. The issue of harassment by Unibot in TRR for example, is denounced as politics by those within the UDL.

Clearly, it is not a raider perspective to oppose Unibot and the UDL. There is a reason why people have such fervent dislike of the organization and why its members often have to state they are only with it to defend and are willing to put aside their qualm with the actions of Unibot and its leadership. Yet, there are those within the region who are willing to degrade the conversation to say that to oppose the UDL is an example of how raider we are. Does that make TRR really raider as well? It’s an untrue argument.

I realize that, I have obsession with the organization and leader stemming from my own personal dispute with Unibot. I don’t think my thought process is that of an extreme raider and in fact, never touch upon that issue. For me, I have no issues with defenders or those who defend. My issues with the UDL as an organization stem from the actions of Unibot and the UDL beyond the R/D game as well as my own personal dispute with Unibot.

It is extremely annoying to see these dismissed as simply raider and this is a large reason why I loved being a neutral, because people couldn’t bring that word in to dismiss your arguments. I’d also like to point out that the rhetoric from the UDL has been damaging to the R/D game itself and have in fact galvanized more people to fight it.

Back in the Moderatism

I disagree with many of the premises to the moderate movement, namely the fact that those in it seek to degrade our relationship and interaction with the UDL to simply raiding and defending. It is more than that. What is the line?

The idea of moderatism shouldn’t be one of opposition. It is not new; it is not special; it is not even deep. Similar movements have always been in Europeia, but have always been held by those who are able to look at the NS world as more than simply raiding and defending. The premise is simple: We don’t let raiding get out of hand. That is moderatism. How in the world does that deal with what I’ve stated about the world of Foreign Affairs? It is too limited. You need more. You simply can’t use it to try to advance ideas.

The Rejected Realms was brought up. So, according to moderatism, we should sign a treaty with them right and if we don’t we’re extreme raiders?

But what about the fact that long time TRR stalwart Sedge couped Southern Bellz of The South Pacific and that TRR didn’t support aiding the region? This was directly in conflict with our own support of The South Pacific.

Whoops, sorry moderatism… didn’t mean to demonstrate how limited you are.

Anyway, my main issue with how it is that it has been used. It’s not a foreign policy and it’s not effective at looking at our region whose actions are based on a complex combination of values and how we look at the world. It’s an idea for how we should raid and that’s what it should remain. Ever heard of “Honourable Raiding” moderatism? It’s the same idea, but one that didn’t decide to make itself more than it was and decided to work within our Foreign Policy. Making decisions based on our values rather than for raiding, moderate or not. This is what is happening.

It can be useful and beneficial for the region, but not in the way that it has been presented. Why not work with Honourable Raiding and push for a set of new raiding standards for Europeia? Boom! That’s how you get the changes you want by bringing those ideas to the Presidential candidates, it’s not that hard.

Next up: Part II

How Europeian.
I was going to stay as far away form this thread as I could but this, StGeorgie, is unfair. This is Rachel's thing, has been for a long time. Direct your displeasure at her, not at my region as a whole (most of whom disagree with her).
And StGeorgie knows this full well. Its not as if he hasn't seen lots of people disagree with Rachel.

He's being deliberately obtuse on the subject because it suits the UDL.
So what group are you suiting by being deliberately obtuse?
Myself.

Just as you suit yourself when you're deliberately obtuse about an amazing number of things.

StGeorgie has been in the threads where Rachel's opinions on the UDL get disagreed with by a number of prominent citizens, and here he goes saying Rachel's views are Europeia's. So either he's lying for the sake of it, amazingly stupid, or trying to advance a false narrative about Europeia, which would serve the UDL's views about us being a tyranny.
Or, he's being the same sarcastic and ironic St Georgie that he's always been

You know, it goes without saying that people are forced to raid. Unless someone has an excuse; they are expected to be in a raid and if they miss too many raids; they are removed from the Navy.

It isn't to say that Abbey was forced to raid; she obviously did it of her own volition; yet she obviously felt forced to participate in raids where griefing was the primary modus operandi to be a part of the raids where it wasn't. To avoid confliction, she stepped down since her viewpoint seemed to be in the minority.

Obviously, for her to come to the conclusion that it was in the minority, she had to have spoken to a good number of people within the military at the time, whether privately or openly is not up for debate since both modes of conversation on the topic would be acceptable.

Having failed that, I can see where she would feel that posting on the NS Forums might shed some light on the subject for everyone and cause peoples eyes to be opened.
I disagree and I, as Grand Admiral at the time (not President, whoops) hadn't heard anything about Abbey feeling she had been forced to raid etc etc

How Europeian.
I was going to stay as far away form this thread as I could but this, StGeorgie, is unfair. This is Rachel's thing, has been for a long time. Direct your displeasure at her, not at my region as a whole (most of whom disagree with her).
And StGeorgie knows this full well. Its not as if he hasn't seen lots of people disagree with Rachel.

Myself.

Just as you suit yourself when you're deliberately obtuse about an amazing number of things.

StGeorgie has been in the threads where Rachel's opinions on the UDL get disagreed with by a number of prominent citizens, and here he goes saying Rachel's views are Europeia's. So either he's lying for the sake of it, amazingly stupid, or trying to advance a false narrative about Europeia, which would serve the UDL's views about us being a tyranny.
That wasn't even arguably ironic, Henry. Don't make me start channeling George Carlin.

:lol:

How Europeian.

Myself.

That wasn't even arguably ironic, Henry. Don't make me start channeling George Carlin.

I never said he was good at it.

That is NOT bashing? I was utterly upset with that. Not only that, but the first time you mention this is not in Europeia but in NS gameplay. Is it better to address the raider community to say that Europeia marginalizes you and forces you to raid? It's patently untrue and damaging.
No, it’s not. It’s stating a fact about being enlisted in a NS military organisation. They’ll order you to do something and you’re expected to do it - that’s kinda the deal.

You’ll note that later in the thread (this post) I also said this:
Me said:
I got fed up, so I took action, and this is the form that said action has taken. Conscientious objection gets irritating when it's every single order.
The other issue I noted in the OP of that thread was when an otherwise docile raid turns nasty, and you’re stuck in it.

You’ll notice that I didn’t retract the blind following one - I stuck by it. You’re still twisting my words on “pointless” - not raids composed of pointless actions, raids that have some pointless actions.

I didn’t go out there to bash. Far from it.

Additionally, you weren’t either at the time of most of the incidents, as I recall. You became Grand Admiral during my January exam activity lull. As I recall, I approached the president more as the GA at the time was inactive. Open to correction here, but I approached the GA first, and then the Pres.

Abbey said:
This is why I resigned. Raiders that hold the same opinions as me appear to be in the minority, and are marginalised and alienated Most of the time you are forced to support a raid that is doing things that you wouldn't do were you leading the raid yourself. At the worst times, you're forced to support a raid that was liveable, and then turns into a raid where natives are kicked on the flimsiest of reasons (or no reason at all).

That is NOT bashing? I was utterly upset with that. Not only that, but the first time you mention this is not in Europeia but in NS gameplay. Is it better to address the raider community to say that Europeia marginalizes you and forces you to raid? It's patently untrue and damaging.
#1. That was why she resigned (from the Navy).
#2. Few people who act as Raiders hold the same opinion as Abby does about raiding.
#3. Sometimes while in the Navy you are called upon to support a raid.
During a raid TPTB may do things the person supporting the raid does not agree with.
THUS, the person supporting the raid as a part of the Naval force "IS FORCED" to support a raid that winds up doing things you disagree with (or be instantly discharged from the Navy and get booted from the region).
Nowhere did Abby claim that she was "Forced to Raid". She clearly stated that while acting as a part of the Navy while on a raid she felt forced to support the raid while the leaders did objectionable things (like kicking natives).
PERHAPS, Abbey would have done herself a favor and started a similar thread to this one to explain these things rather than going into the public NS realm and expressing her feelings, but she did nothing wrong.

According to Unibot, our system is built for those tyrants and not a true democracy. Hence, according to the UDL,

I was a citizen here for a while and even voted for you for President back when we were friends. I don't think Europeia's democratic system is tyrannous, I think the closest I've gotten to criticizing Europeia's system is in Balder when I suggested alongside many other people that FPTP-with-runoffs could be improved using Condorcet. But that's more akin to saying that a system can become "more" democratic or, better yet, close opportunities for exploitation -- it would be unreasonable to go as far as to call, even FPTP without runoffs a tyranny! I mean, my own RL country only uses FPTP and I think the elected leader is a hack, not a tyrant. B-)

As for my personal beliefs, I do recognize graduation: that regions or organization can do more damage than others and pursue more harmful goals and thus deserving of more condemnation -- I came from a generation that challenged Macedon; I know what the face of pure evil looks like when it emerges in NationStates and I don't confuse it with Europeia. But I also do identify Europeia as a "raider" region since to me a raider region is simply a region that by it's actions demonstrates that it does not recognize all native rights notwithstanding limitations on native rights that can be demonstrably justified (some limitations suggested by others include war and, well, being nazis or otherwise extremely offensive). This definition is thus negative and rather encompassing, it's not enough to simply, say, "I recognize my own entitlement over my region", one has to respect everyone's equal entitlement and when they fail to do that, I don't think they can claim to be "neutral". Thus my definition is also, indeed, deontological. If, for example, Switzerland was invading countries in RL, I think you'd be hard pressed to call them "neutral" even if they protested that they're not "totally" aggressors or not "fully aligned" with the international aggressors with the world.

I don't think you're being entirely honest in this report; indeed, Europeia has moved away from flash-raiding, same with most of NationStates -- a tactic most viewed as less harmful than holding regions where potential for griefing is higher. Europeia has as of late been operating as a supplier mostly for raider groups post-raid. Europeian troops will pile into regions and support raids by other groups. In most cases, these raids go nowhere, on occasion these raids turn to native abuse like in Iran. I think that's the source of the bulk of contention in Europeia and it's sort of dismissed rather quickly in this essay which, should have been about Europeia.. but basically is just an attack on the UDL and myself as usual. :rolleyes:

Question. If I join the UDL to fall more in love with Unibot, what would Europeia's formal stance be? This is hypothetical, of course, lol.

How Europeian.
Wait, so saying x thing about z group when only y person involved in z group does abc thing I don't like isn't a legitimate tactic in discussion?

Chuck said:
THUS, the person supporting the raid as a part of the Naval force "IS FORCED" to support a raid that winds up doing things you disagree with (or be instantly discharged from the Navy and get booted from the region).
Was Fortana discharged from the Navy and booted from the region when he wouldn't support the raid on Catholic due to the religious connotation? I'm not sure how you arrived at your conclusion.

How did things get to this stage, is the relevant question. What can we do to fix it? What prompted Abbey's feelings of frustration and helplessness in regards to the Navy? Weren't those feelings further exacerbated by the reactions she got here to pouring her heart out to the only people she thought would listen?

How did things get the way they are between Unibot and the UDL and some of our members here where they talk so disdainfully about a person that represents themselves so well?

How did Europeia get involved in griefing again and why did we not take steps to disassociate ourselves with those griefers? If, as you say, it is so easy to give a reason not to take part in a single raid based on religious beliefs; shouldn't it be just as easy to give such a reason to an ally that requests of us the same; or are we not similarly obligated to take part in it simply because we have allied ourselves to them, the same as Abbey felt obligated to take part in that raid since she had allied herself with our Navy?

Where is this road heading if we pursue it and what will the damage costs be to Europeia if we lose Abbey much the same as we lost Oliver and Earth; who similarly left when dissatisfied and disillusioned by the Europeian Government at the time they left? What hurt feelings between old friends would then be instilled? What divides and what depths?

Abbey said:
No, it’s not. It’s stating a fact about being enlisted in a NS military organisation. They’ll order you to do something and you’re expected to do it - that’s kinda the deal.
Is it a fact? The whole deal with Europeia, is that we’re a region of both diversity and opportunity. If the Navy is to represent the region, it has to represent the broadest amount of its members. This is where the leaders of flash raiding failed.

The whole idea behind the volunteers was that it was to bring in those who didn’t have the time to raid all the time. Surely, given that we all about inclusivity, it would have been better to work towards a solution rather than a conflict?

We had even asked defenders if they wished to do the missions which did not touch raiding and defending such as the warzone missions that we performed with The South Pacific. I just find it so disappointing to see that you feel the region is non-inclusive, when that is not true. Especially after the work we did to do that. Yet, instead all you wish to do is paint a different picture than reality and refuse to work with the region.

Of course, I don't expect other Europeians to view the Earth/Oliver thing as much of a loss as I do. I just brought it up since they both seemed to land in Osiris, where the UDL seems largely present and that this current matter also concerns the UDL.

The revival of this idea that democracies cannot raid is the newest fad in a spew of meritless defender rhetoric. A democratic region can do whatever a majority of its people damn well please.

The revival of this idea that democracies cannot raid is the newest fad in a spew of meritless defender rhetoric. A democratic region can do whatever a majority of its people damn well please.
I would absolutely one hundred percent agree that being a democracy and also being a formidable international aggressor is compatible, so long as the plurality of the region consents this aggression. Alternatively, I think that Europeia being a successful international aggressor and every other region being democratic are however, incompatible outcomes. B-)

I don't think anyone from the so-called defender sympathizer camp in Europeia is debating whether Europeia can do it, I think what they're arguing is whether it ought to be done.

My answer to the "ought" question is pretty obvious because of my established stance, perhaps your fellow Europeians would prefer taking a crack at it.

The revival of this idea that defenders are reviving the idea that democracies cannot raid is the newest fad in a spew of meritless raider rhetoric. :rolleyes:

The revival of this idea that democracies cannot raid is the newest fad in a spew of meritless defender rhetoric.  A democratic region can do whatever a majority of its people damn well please.
The revival of this idea that defenders are reviving the idea that democracies cannot raid is the newest fad in a spew of meritless raider rhetoric. :rolleyes:

Point, Jahka.

The revival of this idea that democracies cannot raid is the newest fad in a spew of meritless defender rhetoric.  A democratic region can do whatever a majority of its people damn well please.
I would absolutely one hundred percent agree that being a democracy and also being a formidable international aggressor is compatible, so long as the plurality of the region consents this aggression. Alternatively, I think that Europeia being a successful international aggressor and every other region being democratic are however, incompatible outcomes. B-)

I don't think anyone from the so-called defender sympathizer camp in Europeia is debating whether Europeia can do it, I think what they're arguing is whether it ought to be done.

My answer to the "ought" question is pretty obvious because of my established stance, perhaps your fellow Europeians would prefer taking a crack at it.
The Graz already articulated it just fine.

The people want raids, so they raid.

I imagine, if defenders got enough citizenship here, they could elect defender presidents and Senates. In theory.

The odds against it are another matter entirely.

The Graz already articulated it just fine.

The people want raids, so they raid.

I imagine, if defenders got enough citizenship here, they could elect defender presidents and Senates. In theory.

The odds against it are another matter entirely.
Well, I question how many people join Europeia as raider sympathizers versus how many people are merely "educated" by the social establishment of Europeia into thinking raiding is a good idea without questioning this dogma; I use the dogma as a negative word, one that it is criticizing the lack of internal dispute over the principles held true more so than to criticize the content of this so-called "dogma".

Democracy without discussion and dialectics is a withering shadow of true, ideal democracy. That's the purpose of these sorts of threads and criticism by other Europeians: to change your opinion, to articulate their ideas and endeavor for the truth. One's conception of democracy, I dare say it, should not simply be every voter living in a bubble to protect their ideals and their thoughts from scrutiny since, as I've argued early, one's positions and one's ideals are rarely a priori in NationStates so to put this initial belief system of a person on a higher pedestal than the idealized belief system that is the formation of discussion and input from others is an illogical discrimination or preference in and of itself.

From this argument follows two very important conclusions: (1), simply because the plurality holds one position does not mean the position is necessarily right although the democratic society is justified in having acted upon this will, (2) Abbey and others have every right to criticize the morality or the rightness or wrongness of actions that are sanctioned by the majority and it would be wise to discuss, debate and engage in discourse with them instead of dismissing their opinion by pointing to a vote tally.

Back