Tense Conflict Outshone By Compromise

I'm a bit disappointed that the President has a power to pass Executive Orders, and does so with such mundane issues. This should be for the Senate to fix, I believe.
Should the President abstained from kicking the beehive? :p
President learned that sometimes when you kick the beehive, you get stung. ;)
Don't worry, the free ice is a fair consolation.

(Where this metaphor is going, nobody knows...)

...But the Senate could easily fix it...
Which was my opinion, though it seemed an unnecessary thing to make an enemy over.
Well when the Senate takes it upon itself to redefine its constitutional duties to include opposing a Presidential Administration, it's not whether or not the issue is big enough to make enemies over, but whether your biggest enemies see an issue to make.

...But the Senate could easily fix it...
Which was my opinion, though it seemed an unnecessary thing to make an enemy over.
Well when the Senate takes it upon itself to redefine its constitutional duties to include opposing a Presidential Administration, it's not whether or not the issue is big enough to make enemies over, but whether your biggest enemies see an issue to make.
Pray tell, Mac, where the Constituion bars Senators who would choose to do so from acting as opposition? I don't consider myself part of the opposition, I consider myself part of the Legislative branch, and I laid out in plain sight what I would do if elected.

I refused to confirm a Senator on the Cabinet. How is that reinterpreting the Constitution and how is that twisting the mandate that I asked for during the election?

I expressed strong reservations against confirming an EO without due review. Same questions!

Actually, the Senate is being the check on the Executive, something that might seem odd because it might have been some time since it has been done effectively. Being a check doesn't mean being a nuisance, and if that's how it's interpreted, well... It's a rather monolithic view of politics.

Pray tell, Mac, where the Constituion bars Senators who would choose to do so from acting as opposition? I don't consider myself part of the opposition, I consider myself part of the Legislative branch, and I laid out in plain sight what I would do if elected.
There are literally infinite things that the Constitution does not bar the Senate from doing should they choose. For instance, opening up a frozen yogurt stand, renaming all aquatic mammals, or paving roads in Southeastern Africa. Do we do any of these things? No, that's not the job of this body. I respect that you campaigned upon these principles, but I disagree with the way they're being carried out, and just because you were elected on those principles doesn't mean I have to give one iota of deference to them, because I was elected on the principles of competence and legislating, and something tells me that will be taking a back seat to "oversight" this term.

I refused to confirm a Senator on the Cabinet. How is that reinterpreting the Constitution and how is that twisting the mandate that I asked for during the election?

I expressed strong reservations against confirming an EO without due review. Same questions!
Both of these actions were completely within your legal boundaries as a Senator. I never claimed that this Senate is somehow acting illegally. Again, I respect that you feel you have a mandate, but I disagree with your policy, so no matter how many votes you got in the last election, I believe what I believe. What I am saying is that the Senate branding itself as opposition to a Presidential Administration is outside of its constitutional boundaries and is not os much illegal as it is off topic and inappropriate.

Actually, the Senate is being the check on the Executive, something that might seem odd because it might have been some time since it has been done effectively. Being a check doesn't mean being a nuisance, and if that's how it's interpreted, well... It's a rather monolithic view of politics.
There's a difference between being a check and hindering the government. We walk a fine line here between conflict and cooperation, and attempting to cast the entire Senate, not all of which ran on your platform which you feel you got a mandate for, as the opposition to Sopo is putting the Senate in an uncomfortable position and forcing roles upon Senators which they may not necessarily want or need to fill. Oversight is healthy. When oversight steps in the realm of disrespect to the President is where I have a problem.

When the Senate sees a problem and keeps the Executive in line, I am fine, but when the Senate is looking for problems with a Presidential Administration to fill some kind of imagined quota of the right amount of criticism, I have a problem, and more importantly the people of Europeia have a problem. There are many things that could be done to fix the problems the Senate had last term, this is a divisive and unsustainable solution which will only lead to a more bitter and less productive Europeian Senate and a hindered President who has a formal enemy in his legislative branch.

I can respect that.

I am liable for my votes only. If people thought my ideas were good, or if I used someone else's ideas because they were good, I still can't be charged with having any more influence than any other Senator.

Your beef is with Ollie's explicit use of "opposition"? Take it with him. You don't want to be blend in with the "oppositionists", that's fine. Just don't start blending people together in a group, either.

As for the Senate's powers, no, indeed, I can't say we rule on RL issues. Damn! We can, however, review EOs, confirm nominees or not and exercise oversight through the mecanisms already in the C. So, which one have I, personaly, reinterpreted?

One final word on the question of a mandate: it's the Other way around. I'm much more of a maverick who got elected telling people what he qas going to do. Are you chastising me for doing what I said I was going to do, Senator?

Am I the only one missing some sound arguments on whether or not this Administration is in real need of a Minister of Media? Europeia has free press AND PhDre, why is there a need for a Minister of Media?

Am I the only one missing some sound arguments on whether or not this Administration is in real need of a Minister of Media? Europeia has free press AND PhDre, why is there a need for a Minister of Media?
I think the idea is to reach citizens with the governmental message, on one hand, and to establish a more effective way to hear what citizens have to say, on the other. It's not a bad idea and it deserves a shot.

Now, free press should work without the government... :) that includes all branches of the said government *ahem*

I hear what you say Senator Klatonia, however I am still not convinced that this administration is in need for a Minister to bring across their message to the population.

When I thought about creating new Ministries, the goal was to get more members engaged in government because we have such a large citizenry yet a small government. It's tough to get new members involved if they don't feel they will ever make it to a position such as a Minister, so I think it's a great idea if it's used as such.

I hear what you say Senator Klatonia, however I am still not convinced that this administration is in need for a Minister to bring across their message to the population.
The Minister of Media has a dual purpose, both running the EBC and communicating the government's message to the people. The EBC will have two uses, the first being press releases and updates on government activity, the second being what the EBC has always (-ish) done, providing an outlet for citizens to voice their opinions in articles and things like Question Time. The EBC will certainly benefit from having an accountable Minister as its head, as the EBC has been largely hit or miss in the past, though mostly miss.

I can only trust than Mr. President that you will prove me wrong during this term and that in the end I will have to admit that the administration is indeed in need of a Minister of Media.

Ergo, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.. ^_^

I can only trust than Mr. President that you will prove me wrong during this term and that in the end I will have to admit that the administration is indeed in need of a Minister of Media.

It's Minister of Information now. Or Propaganda. Or Citizen Information? Something like that. I'm sure he'll sort out the details.. or maybe he'll ask the Senate to sort them out.

It's Minister of Information now. Or Propaganda. Or Citizen Information? Something like that. I'm sure he'll sort out the details.. or maybe he'll ask the Senate to sort them out.
Hardee-har-har... <_<

Sorry, Oliver. I find that the media needs to be a watchdog against the government and for the People. For this most noble reason I am no longer comfortable with you running what is sure to be an increasingly powerful and influential branch of our government as well as controlling the flow and spin of information to the people. These dual roles must be snuffed out. I await your prompt resignation from one or more. :p

Sorry, Oliver. I find that the media needs to be a watchdog against the government and for the People. For this most noble reason I am no longer comfortable with you running what is sure to be an increasingly powerful and influential branch of our government as well as controlling the flow and spin of information to the people. These dual roles must be snuffed out. I await your prompt resignation from one or more. :p
I don't know if anybody knows, but I cleared this with my other editor (who was on the other side of the conflict, no less). So I think as long as I'm prudent I can write for ENN sometimes. ;)

Back