Tense Conflict Outshone By Compromise

Oliver

Tense Conflict Outshone By Compromise
Your Government At Work

This evening saw the first moment of conflict between the Executive and the Senate, and it is not expected to be the last. The President posted an Executive Order which changed the Welfare Ministry from the ground up, including a change of name from "Welfare" to "Integration." Senior Senate Officials complained that the name change would require significant alterations to other laws, and the President suggested that the Senate would be qualified to fix the issues inherent in such a name change.

Speaker Oliver Marlowe described the manner in which the Executive Order was executed as "dismissive" of the Senate, and called it "frankly offensive." Tensions flared, and both the Executive and the Senate stood firmly behind their positions, but ultimately compromise won the day. The President and Senate agreed that while the substantive changes inherent in the executive order would remain intact, the name of the Welfare Ministry must remain unchanged until a review of the legislation can be handled, and the name change can be done responsibly.

Senator Jusduckria described the event in the following words: "Both the Senate and the President were able to establish their positions, and both managed to, in the end, come away with something that can be pointed to as a success. Also, it never became personal, but rather showcased mutual respect for each other." Such a firm, robust, and above all responsible moment of conflict is further validation of the growing movement for more direct oversight of the Government by the Senate, and of the viewpoint that opposition can be firm without being destructive.

I don't see how it's "dismissive" or "frankly offensive" toward the Senate that an incoming President with the intent to change the Welfare Ministry into something he considers more efficient does so via Executive Order, especially considering that was how the Ministry was born. Really the only issue was the renaming of the Ministry, which was an oversight, not an assault.

Hopefully the change to the Ministry, and the renewed focus placed from updating the legislation, will see an upswing in its fortunes.

It's certainly been an interesting term thus far, but 'compromise' is surely not an appropriate description of the interaction between the Senate (namely, the Speaker of the Senate who is coincidentally the author of this 'piece'). While we're at it, let's relegate 'firm' and 'robust' to the smut section along with Toddler; these words don't do justice to the absolute power which the Senate has exercised thus far over President Sopo (whether this is to be applauded or frowned upon is up to each citizen). The author of this 'news piece', who the casual reader should once again be reminded is also the Senate Speaker, has here quite openly attempted to convince readers that this manifestation of the Opposition in the Senate is a viable and constructive force in the region; in the eyes of most reasonable observers, it's far too early to judge if this is the case.

I can add to it, if you like: I agree, but the irony is funny.
I'll defer from meeting my end of our '1.0 dick waving' per thread quota. For now. :violentgun:

As someone who has worked in Welfare since it was basically brought into the folds of the Cabinet, Integration is really a much more solid name. Furthermore, I've been pushing for this change since last term as well as the changes within the executive order. Additionally, there are not many laws with the name "Welfare" in use as this Ministry was created about a year ago through executive order. Other bills in this region with references to a "Welfare Ministry" would likely be quite minimal.

Also, am I missing the "compromise" you speak of? It seemed like Sopo suggested a name change, you said "no," and he said "okay, then."

Also, am I missing the "compromise" you speak of? It seemed like Sopo suggested a name change, you said "no," and he said "okay, then."
I think the President asked to change everything about the Welfare Ministry including the name, and I said "Well, changing the name in the manner you've suggested would would be a bit of a pain in the ass but the rest is fine" and we agreed on that.

How is this a victory for anybody but the President? He got everything but the name.

Edit: Furthermore, I've committed to having the name changed, once we can take the time to make sure it doesn't impact on other laws. So the President wins that battle too, just a little further down the line.

I don't see how it's "dismissive" or "frankly offensive" toward the Senate that an incoming President with the intent to change the Welfare Ministry into something he considers more efficient does so via Executive Order, especially considering that was how the Ministry was born. Really the only issue was the renaming of the Ministry, which was an oversight, not an assault.

What was dismissive and offensive was this reaction to the renaming of the Ministry:

Sopo said:
I am aware that other pieces of legislation reference the "Welfare Ministry." I hope my associates in the Senate can fix any indiscretions, as I do not want to tread too far into their territory.

Such an explanation says quite clearly to the Senate: "I'm going to legislate, but I'm going to do it badly, and what's more I'm going to do it badly knowingly, and you'll be the one cleaning up the messes I make when I do it."

If that's not a dismissive attitude towards the Senate, I don't know what is.

I'm a bit disappointed that the President has a power to pass Executive Orders, and does so with such mundane issues. This should be for the Senate to fix, I believe.

I'm a bit disappointed that the President has a power to pass Executive Orders, and does so with such mundane issues. This should be for the Senate to fix, I believe.
Should the President abstained from kicking the beehive? :p

Back