Senate Election Coverage

After a late start, the Senate election has finally begun. We now have sixteen candidates running for six positions. Before yesterday, there were only eight, but the number doubled, as a result of a protest over the late start. Now, with the poll actually open, the official coverage can begin.

With the poll being open for a little less than an hour, the top six are:
  • Drecq - 12
  • Calvin Coolidge - 10
  • writinglegend - 9
  • Anumia - 8
  • Notolecta - 8
  • PhDre - 8
This is essentially what was predicted by the EBC poll, before the standing period started. With the addition of the eight new candidates, however, anything could change as a result. For instance, Zenny Fominov, who stood yesterday, is tied with Cordova I, who stood near the start of the process, with six votes, both very close to the final seat. How will this end? We'll keep you updated.

We will also be including excerpts from our panel discussion throughout the day. First, we discussed the protest over the election's late start.

Panel said:
Calvin Coolidge: How do we feel about the protest?

modernsin: I don't really care for the protest since it didn't really accomplish anything other than to potentially take seats away from candidates who have been working hard on their established campaigns and are honestly looking to do some real work this term. I'm glad the "serious" candidates are breaking away. I didn't really expect any different, but I think the six at the top right now are certainly among the best candidates this election.

writinglegend: I agree, also maybe we can learn to be a bit more patient. Whilst the SC's have RL's we don't have to go on a rampage because of one mistake.

Calvin Coolidge: Do you (and this is for anyone) think this election has any sort of lesson, or is the protest just an annoyance?

modernsin: Well, hopefully the admins will take this as a bit of a wake-up call to be more attentive to their job. The SCs aren't around too much these days, and while this is the first election they've dropped the ball on in a long time, it may not be the last if they continue to be so flippant. Overall, no harm done really. But I know the candidates are excited to get to work, and they shouldn't be kept waiting any longer than they have to.

This isn't as pretty as the other panel discussion, but it'll take a while to format. Still on the protest.
The Panel said:
<Mousebumples> I only voted for "real" candidates. No matter how much some of the last minute candidates claimed that they were "real candidates"

<Mousebumples> deciding to run _after polls should have opened_ does not give me a lot of confidence that you're serious about wanting the job

<MS> I think the protest thing started with Rachel's standing. Sopo and Zenny may have been serious, I'm not really sure
<MS> their platforms aren't encouraging in that respect, obviously
<Notolecta> I think Zenny wanted to run orignally, but knew she wouldn't win
<MS> True
<MS> and now ironically, she's doing pretty well :p
<Kraketopia> Yeah
<CalvinCoolidge> :p
<Kraketopia> I wonder whether she'd have done better or worse if she'd stood at the start
<Kraketopia> with a serious a campaign
<Notolecta> I don't
<Mousebumples> i agree with that; however, this seems like a matter of "i'll throw together a marginal platform and if i don't win, i'll tell myself that i _could have won_ if i had really tried"
<Notolecta> I think the poeple who are voting for her are her inner circle that would have voted for her anyway.
<Kraketopia> Yeah

<Kraketopia> She has a strong minority power bloc
<Mousebumples> ^
<Notolecta> We all have power blocks

<MS> "minority power" so scary D:
<Notolecta> Everyone has a group of people that will always vote for them.

The panel discusses political parties' lack of impact in this election, and Anumia's surprising standing, so far.
The Panel said:
[13:56] <Notolecta> Speaking of parties
[13:57] <CalvinCoolidge> More votes have come in, by the way. Cord is still two behind Anumia.
[13:57] <CalvinCoolidge> And Noto. :p
[13:57] <Notolecta> Is there any doubt that parties are having absolutely no impact on this election?
[13:58] <CalvinCoolidge> I think the EMP is having a very real influence on this election.
[13:59] <CalvinCoolidge> :p
[13:59] <writinglegend> :p
[13:59] <MS> well that survey from Sopo and Dre (or some other survey, I can't keep track of them all these days) suggested that a majority of people vote based on individual candidates rather than their affiliations
[13:59] <Notolecta> I bring this up because there was all the complaining about affilations not being asked for and people claiming this was going to be a partisian election, but looking at the votes I think even if no affilations were listed votes would be the same.
[13:59] <writinglegend> i think it would too
[13:59] <CalvinCoolidge> I agree, it appears parties are pretty much a non-issue.
[13:59] <Notolecta> Then why are people so intent on trying to make it an issue.
[13:59] <Mousebumples> :eek:
[14:00] <writinglegend> o:
[14:00] <writinglegend> O:
[14:00] <Mousebumples> all 4 of our endorsed candidates are in the top 7 vote getters
[14:00] <writinglegend> :O
[14:00] <Mousebumples> <3~
[14:00] <Notolecta> Out of 8 actual candidates
[14:00] <CalvinCoolidge> They have would been anyway, though.
[14:01] <Notolecta> Besides cord they were all safe candidates.
[14:01] <MS> I am surprised Anumia is on the bubble though
[14:01] <CalvinCoolidge> MS, that was the EBC poll you are referencing.
[14:01] <Notolecta> Cord was the only longshot you ensorsed, no offense intended cord, but you just got back and haven't done much it's hard to get votes in that situation.
[14:01] <MS> Ah
[14:01] <CalvinCoolidge> About political parites.
[14:02] <Cord> Yeah, I understood that..still wanted to try tho
[14:02] <CalvinCoolidge> I am surprised about Anumia, too.
[14:02] <CalvinCoolidge> Perhaps he is not taking this seriously enough?
[14:02] <Kraketopia> Yes, Anumia's results were surprising
[14:02] <MS> Short term rep has a larger impact than long term rep when it comes to recently returned citizens. Especially when there are so many active newcomers recently.
[14:02] <Kraketopia> I think he's been so busy with FA
[14:02] <Kraketopia> That people haven't seen his intentions in the Senate enough
[14:02] <Mousebumples> anumia might be suffering from people only having 6 votes and not 7
[14:03] <writinglegend> Agreed
[14:03] <CalvinCoolidge> But why Anumia? Such an established candidate?
[14:03] <Mousebumples> would he be much higher in the vote getters if people had an extra vote, perhaps?
[14:03] <MS> We do have a lot of strong candidates out of the first 8, so it's pretty likely a good candidate might get knocked out anyway.
[14:03] <Mousebumples> a few possibilities - WL and calvin have "earned a shot" at a seat, so people vote for them
[14:03] <Mousebumples> phdre did a great job developing them, and he deserves a seat to continue to "pay it forward"
[14:04] <MS> Idk why it's Anumia, but the other top 5 are in my mind equally capable and/or promising
[14:04] <Mousebumples> drecq is a great senate leader/legislator and since he's not in cabinet, he can focus more on senate (and the judiciary - which sorta goes hand in hand)
[14:04] <Mousebumples> that leaves noto, and i think a lot of people would like to see him get involved in europeia governance again

Roughly two hours into the election, we have had the same top six for most of the day:
  • Drecq - 17
  • Calvin Coolidge - 15
  • PhDre - 14
  • writinglegend - 13
  • Anumia - 12
  • Notolecta - 11
As far as honorable mentions, Rach, who stood yesterday, is at 9 votes, and Cordova I, who stood earlier, is at 8 votes. While the top spots seem pretty much set, the bottom seats are still interesting enough, and we might see a change before the day is done.

The panel discussed Cordova I's results so far.
The Panel said:
[14:42] <Rach> I think Cordova would be doing better if he didn't have real life stuff going on
[14:42] <Notolecta> Cord more suffers from the fact that he just got back and hasn't had the time to get involved again.
[14:42] <CalvinCoolidge> Coverage is updated.
[14:43] <Rach> Also, no one really knows how good Cord is
[14:43] <Rach> Including myself :p
[14:44] <Mousebumples> i've heard good things
[14:44] <CalvinCoolidge> Right. I see Noto and Cord almost as foils in this election. They both recently returned and have a lot of experience, but Noto has made a name for himself in the CA, while Cord has just been around, mostly.
[14:44] <Mousebumples> is cord in the CA?
[14:44] <Mousebumples> i might nominate him for CA Chair
[14:44] <Mousebumples> no one else has accepted their nomination yet
[14:44] <Mousebumples> :-\n[14:44] <CalvinCoolidge> Maybe not foils, but something like that. :p
[14:44] <Rach> we have chairperson elections?
[14:44] <CalvinCoolidge> Cord just joined the CA, yes.
[14:44] <Mousebumples> nominations are on-going now
[14:44] <Mousebumples> marnip isn't running again
[14:44] <Rach> how did I miss this....
[14:45] <Notolecta> I've also been active in euro more recently than cord
[14:45] <Mousebumples> you decided to stage a faux protest on senate elections instead?
[14:45] <Notolecta> Most poeple here can remember the last time I was a senator.
[14:45] <Mousebumples> was that february?
[14:45] <Mousebumples> that wasn't an awesome term, ftr
[14:45] <Notolecta> I don't even think I was in euro yet the last time cord was a senator.
[14:45] <Mousebumples> (not by you - by the senate as a whole)
[14:46] <CalvinCoolidge> That almost got confrontational. :p

Roughly three and a half hours into the election, we have not seen much change in the top six for most of the day:
  • Drecq - 19
  • Calvin Coolidge - 16
  • PhDre - 16
  • writinglegend - 14
  • Anumia - 14
  • Notolecta - 12
As far as honorable mentions, Cordova I, Sopo, and Rach each have 9 votes. The top of the field is starting to put this out of reach. It is at this time that the EBC will be making its first prediction of the day, that Drecq will be return to the Senate. He is ten votes away from those near the final seat, and it is unlikely there are enough votes left for anyone to knock him out of the top six.

The panel discusses the race, and how it might change with a seventh seat in play.
The Panel said:
[16:06] <Notolecta> It's bad that the race among the joke candidartes has been more interesting than the actual race.
[16:07] <Mousebumples> who is the best joke candidate? (the other race)
[16:07] <Mousebumples> mekhet is the only one to not have a vote yet :(
[16:07] <Mousebumples> sopo and rach are both beating zenny
[16:07] <Notolecta> Yeah, that changed from earlier.
[16:08] <Notolecta> cord is now ahead of rach.
[16:08] <Mousebumples> makes me wonder if some people are using their 6th vote to bump up one or another "joke" candidate to make them beat whomever they don't like
[16:08] <CalvinCoolidge> I don't doubt it.
[16:08] <Notolecta> I could see it.,
[16:08] <Notolecta> I can imagine certian of those people would simply resign
[16:09] <CalvinCoolidge> Hopefully, the ones with the most votes.
[16:09] <Notolecta> So I could see someone voting in hopes of getting a bi-election with better candidates.
[16:09] <Notolecta> None of them will win
[16:10] <Notolecta> I don't think we have much of a chance of seeing rach or sopo overtaking cord again and then proceeding to overtake me.
[16:10] <Notolecta> there is a better chance of you overtaking dreq than that.
[16:11] <Notolecta> and that won't happen
[16:11] <CalvinCoolidge> It does seem unlikely we will get any more real change in this race.
[16:12] <Mousebumples> and noto may yet overtake anumia or WL or even calvin
[16:12] <Mousebumples> this is why i thought paul's idea of extended the voting period was a bit unnecessary
[16:12] <Mousebumples> the vote is usually set after a few hours
[16:12] <Mousebumples> not to say that the lower ends of things can never change, but generally it's relatively clear who the winners will be
[16:12] <CalvinCoolidge> Yes, this was pretty much decided in the first hour.
[16:13] <Notolecta> I think it was mostly clear before voting opened
[16:14] <CalvinCoolidge> Not even our protest could change that.
[16:14] <Notolecta> Drecq, CC, WL, and dre were golden from the start.
[16:15] <Mousebumples> ^
[16:15] <Notolecta> I would have been surprised if anumia didn't get elected.
[16:15] * Mousebumples nods
[16:15] <Mousebumples> it makes me wonder what sort of difference having a seventh seat would have had
[16:15] <Notolecta> and really cord had a chance, but it was clear he was coming from behind.
[16:15] * Mousebumples wonders if calvin should make a second senate poll - in the GH or EBC or something - giving people 7 votes for the same candidates
[16:15] <Mousebumples> it won't get the same traffic as the main poll does, but it could be interesting
[16:15] <Notolecta> Paul would have been left in the dust.
[16:16] <CalvinCoolidge> That would be fun.
[16:16] <Notolecta> or a joke candidate may have won.
[16:16] <Notolecta> Several actually may have won.
[16:17] <Mousebumples> or cord might have been elected
[16:17] <Mousebumples> that's why i'm curious
[16:17] <Notolecta> cord would have been elected is what I'm saying by paul being left in the dust.
[16:18] <CalvinCoolidge> I'm making the other poll now.
[16:19] <Notolecta> You never really know what an extra vote would change though
Feel free to vote on that seven seat poll here.

Roughly four and a half hours into the election, the top six remains mostly unchanged:
  • Drecq - 20
  • Calvin Coolidge - 17
  • PhDre - 16
  • writinglegend - 15
  • Anumia - 15
  • Notolecta - 13
As far as honorable mentions, Cordova I has 10 votes, with Sopo and Rach each still with 9. The top of the field is coming closer every hour to putting this thing away, but there are still enough votes to leave the door open for the other candidates to possibly sneak in.

Roughly seven and a half hours into the election, the top six remain, with a few swaps:
  • Drecq - 20
  • Calvin Coolidge - 17
  • Anumia - 17
  • writinglegend - 16
  • PhDre - 16
  • Notolecta - 13
As far as honorable mentions, Cordova I has 12 votes, with Rach at 10. While most of the top six seem to be relatively certain, the bottom seat will likely come down to the wire. Notolecta and Cordova I have been battling it out all day, and this is as close as it has been.

Roughly ten hours into the election, the top six remain, with perhaps a little more competition:
  • Drecq - 20
  • Calvin Coolidge - 19
  • Anumia - 18
  • writinglegend - 18
  • PhDre - 18
  • Notolecta - 13
As far as honorable mentions, Cordova I and Rach are now tied at 12. The top five seats are pretty much locked at this point, but the final seat is still very alive, with only one vote separating the final seat from the closest challengers.

Roughly eleven hours into the election, the top six are now the top seven:
  • Drecq - 20
  • Calvin Coolidge - 19
  • PhDre - 19
  • writinglegend - 19
  • Anumia - 18
  • Notolecta - 14
  • Rach - 14
As far as honorable mentions, Cordova I has 13 votes. For the first time today, an honorable mention has actually caught up to the top six, and is now tied for the final seat. There may not be many votes left, but they will all be required to determine the last spot in this election. This is still too close to call.

Roughly twelve hours into the election (halfway), the top six are now slightly different:
  • Drecq - 22
  • Calvin Coolidge - 19
  • PhDre - 19
  • writinglegend - 19
  • Anumia - 19
  • Rach - 16
As far as honorable mentions, Notolecta has 15 votes and Cordova I has 13. Notolecta has been fighting for that final seat all day and, for now, he has lost the fight to Rach. Keep in mind, Rach only stood for election yesterday, and released no legitimate platform. Will this be the way it ends? We'll keep you updated.

Roughly nineteen and a half hours into the election (four and a half hours left), the top six are:
  • Drecq - 25
  • Calvin Coolidge - 22
  • PhDre - 22
  • writinglegend - 22
  • Anumia - 22
  • Rach - 18
As far as honorable mentions, Notolecta has 16 votes and Cordova I has 14. Rach has been able to hold on to the final seat through the night, widening the gap between her and Notolecta. However, it is not insurmountable. In these last couple of hours, this could still be taken away.

Apollo said:
Rach said:
Apollo said:
Not sure if spam or thinks no one can determine that 19 is higher than 16 and 24 minus 21 is 3.
Not sure what you're talking about? :p
The last 3 or 4 posts could have just been a link to the election every time.
But it wouldn't have documented how things were changing, for posterity. A link to the results just shows what the results are at that moment.

With the polls a few hours from closing, Cordova I released his concession speech about a half hour ago. While this is not a complete shock, it is still rather surprising a candidate would bow out while they may still be votes to collect. This race has been tight since it began, and now that it is winding down, those who are not within reach of the final seat have a very small chance of victory.

Here's the top six:
  • Drecq - 26
  • Anumia - 23
  • PhDre - 23
  • writinglegend - 22
  • Calvin Coolidge - 22
  • Rach - 19
As far as honorable mentions, Notolecta has 16 votes.

That leads me to my next statement: the EBC can now project that Anumia, PhDre, writinglegend, and Calvin Coolidge will be elected to the Senate. With less than two hours until the polls close, and the number of votes already cast, it seems very unlikely any candidate not in the top six can overtake those candidates. The only wild card left in this election is the sixth and final seat, which will come down to either Rach and Notolecta.

The EBC panel discussed Cordova I's concession, as well as the EBC projections.
The Panel said:
[10:58] <Mousebumples> i think cord about hit the nail on the head
[10:58] <Mousebumples> i think he would have been a great senator; however, i don't think he was back long enough - or visibly active enough - to really appeal to those voters who don't know what he's done in europeia before
[10:58] <Mousebumples> could be a good candidate for the first Who's Who in Europeia ....
[10:58] <CalvinCoolidge> Ooh, good idea.
[10:59] <CalvinCoolidge> I agree. I think there was just too many active candidates for Cord to really stand out in the crowd.
[11:00] <CalvinCoolidge> I think his concession is a very classy move, though.
[11:01] <Mousebumples> first time i've seen one of those in europeia
[11:01] <CalvinCoolidge> I think Ogastein did it for President once...
[11:01] <RZM> Cordova is a classy gent.
[11:02] <CalvinCoolidge> But I'm too new to know the details. :p
[11:02] <Mousebumples> fair enough
[11:02] <Mousebumples> and the first time i was active in euro, i didn't really do much in the oval room
[11:03] <CalvinCoolidge> I'm also going to project the other four seats now. I think it's safe to do that at this point. I'm not calling the last one, yet.
[11:03] * Mousebumples nods
[11:03] <Mousebumples> we've got 90 minutes left
[11:03] <Mousebumples> not much time for a last second surge, likely

Back