President fiddles while Europeia sleeps

Referencing fallacy by its Latin name does not automatically make your counterpoint correct. less nations means less citizens to utilize properly. And the issue is that its not as if actions aren't always being undertaken to try and get people involved - every term has had this difficulty, and every region has this problem. I oversaw a whole slew of efforts to increase integration as president, and directly led the creation of other efforts, and the rewards were minimal at best.

The biggest issue is that older hands aren't sticking around, often because of RL issues and the like, which is understandable. Inactivity breeds inactivity.

I must first, again, apologies for my recent inactivity. As Cerian pointed out - Real Life kicking me in the face with masterdegrees and stuff. First do I wish to point out the good start of this term; for example, SD jumped into improving newcomer integration, along with the university, rather quick and eager. Sadly, activity in the research facility diminished... And the servercrash eventually (basicly) killed it.

Nonetheless do I tend to agree that I think it's unexcusable for the president to probably be on the same activity level as I am.. A rather random citizen :p BUT I do wish to stress that SD was still the better presidential candidate imho. His term might be one of stagnation, but I think Remsol would've crashed us into a wall under the eager yet misleading motto of "progress".

HEM is of the opinion, and it isn't one without some merit, that 'bad' activity has a much narrower definition than some use it.

I'd think he'd have to agree that there is some bad activity, no? There's gotta be a line, even with him.

Common-Sense Politics said:
HEM doesn't believe in bad activity.
That's not completely true. In the past there have been extreme circumstances in which I've quickly shut down (or tried to mitigate) poisonous activity. It

HEM said:
Common-Sense Politics said:
HEM doesn't believe in bad activity.
That's not completely true. In the past there have been extreme circumstances in which I've quickly shut down (or tried to mitigate) poisonous activity. It
Like his third sentence ^_^

I feel like AA was a very under-rated member in terms of his dedication and the activity he generated.
This. I've always thought that and have missed him for a while now. He kept things interesting and lively.

Yeah, to be honest, I always worried that he had the potential to scare off new members more than engage them.
Sure, he could, but here's what usually happened - (1) the ones who were worth their salt stayed; (2) the person he was being mean too had already managed to piss off the entire region; and/or (3) other people told him to stfu and came to the newbie's defense.

think you'll find that if I were to break down my Albion posts, most of them would be directed at the myriad of active roleplays they have there. I like to roleplay, simple as that. Is that an excuse? No. And I'm not trying to make excuses. Any excuse I could try to make would just seem hollow and essentially unneeded.
Why not RP here? :ph43r:

And I have always been in the camp that there's no such thing as bad activity. I also must agree that our downfalls are many, but our biggest is that we haven't been able to capitalize on new members. I can say confidently that there have been behind-closed-doors conversations for at least the last two terms about improving integration. It hasn't been forgotten by the past few administrations.

Yeah, to be honest, I always worried that he had the potential to scare off new members more than engage them.
Sure, he could, but here's what usually happened - (1) the ones who were worth their salt stayed; (2) the person he was being mean too had already managed to piss off the entire region; and/or (3) other people told him to stfu and came to the newbie's defense.

I do not believe the determination of who is "worth their salt" is whether or not they appreciated AA's racist/sexist/etc jokes. They weren't too edgy for me to not find amusing at times, but, a new member confronted with that everywhere in the Republic Square could be turned off rather easily, while having a particular talent we might have otherwise seen put to use in the Republic.

Why not RP here? :ph43r:

He already pointed out that all attempts by both himself and Cerian to foster an RP culture here have fallen flat on their faces.

And I have always been in the camp that there's no such thing as bad activity.

There absolutely are occasions that are bad. April 2011 is one such example.

Cerian Quilor said:
I'd love to get a solid rp going here. But none last that long.
We could always try again. Not that I'm exactly looking forward to it, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

In the past, there were some roleplays with moderate success. But many of them were not "traditional" role-plays. (American Election Simulation, War in Europeia etc.)

HEM said:
In the past, there were some roleplays with moderate success. But many of them were not "traditional" role-plays. (American Election Simulation, War in Europeia etc.)
There was that thing Katepano was/is running...

There's not really such thing as a typical rp, HEM. Trust me. Just take a look at a website like www.roleplayerguild.com and then tell me there are typical roleplays. :p

Anumia said:
HEM said:
Exactly.. I've been fairly active in it, but now it seems only Katepano, Charlotte, Chuck and me are active.. I feel kind of offended for Katepanowhen you all go "there's no good RPs going on" and how we "should try getting a good one going". Katepano had a great concept, but, as usual, everyone jumped on the boat of subscription.. And then lost attention.

Huxwells Shaw said:
Anumia said:
HEM said:
Exactly.. I've been fairly active in it, but now it seems only Katepano, Charlotte, Chuck and me are active.. I feel kind of offended for Katepanowhen you all go "there's no good RPs going on" and how we "should try getting a good one going". Katepano had a great concept, but, as usual, everyone jumped on the boat of subscription.. And then lost attention.
Trust me, if Katepano's RP had interested me, I'd have joined. It seems odd, because of where we are, but I'm not a huge fan of political RPs. haha

A few thoughts:

-- The single most important attribute of a successful President is effort. SD has come up short. To his credit, he has acknowledged this.

-- After declaring an LoA of sorts to deal with RL, the ZB shutdown forced HEM to put much more effort into this community than I'm sure he expected. It's understandable that he chose not to temper his words about SD's activity levels as much as he normally would have.

-- Post count is a poor measure of regional health. That said, I don't think anyone denies that we have had problems for some time. A vacuum of active leadership is one of those problems -- it's not just the President.

-- The region has problems that won't be solved by a fresh face in Goldenblock. In recent weeks, several active citizens have retired or taken a step back, we are scrambling to deal with NS rule changes that have diminished our longstanding natural advantages, and we are facing stronger competition for activity from allied regions (Albion, TNI) than we have in a long time. These are long-term challenges, and need to be faced as such.

Elections are usually a boon for activity. Here's hoping that's true this time, and that we have a robust debate about the region's future.

Back