Opinion: Is anybody alive in there?

From my own experience in NS, I've let go of the idea to form "governments". Although this is a game about politics, there no real elections to be had. Let's be honest here: you'd be better off to just consider this a project, and follow project-management structures. That involves tasks, resources, deadlines, etc. Take a look at Agile. It gets you the same results but faster. People get more experienced. Everyone learns.

Orioni is quite right on some points (I'm not sure what he/she means by "no real elections to be had"). Politics is the business of government and good government in a NS setting can use a lot of the principles of good project management. I've relatively recently been a proponent of this method of looking at government and (may he be restfully retired) Swakistek was of similar bent.

Orioni said:
From my own experience in NS, I've let go of the idea to form "governments". Although this is a game about politics, there no real elections to be had. Let's be honest here: you'd be better off to just consider this a project, and follow project-management structures. That involves tasks, resources, deadlines, etc. Take a look at Agile. It gets you the same results but faster. People get more experienced. Everyone learns.
I think we havent gotten to our anarchist stage yet. :D Government has worked quite well in Europeia. The general question here isnt does our government work, which it does, but should our legislature be more active. And if it should be what should they be doing. At least that was what this started out as. The problem is more that our government actually works. The legislature produces quality laws. But they arent producing many because most everything that needs legislating is provided for and legislating areas that dont need legislating is, well, stupid and inefficient. You cant get rid of the legislature entirely though, because you never know if you will find something that needs legislating in the future and because creating laws isnt the Senates only job (they also confirm Presidential Appointees as well as Treaties). So should we just leave the Senate to do that job and if there isnt much activity sometimes, so be it? I think it wouldnt necessarily be bad. Because the government already does everything it needs to do any activity the Senate would get from receiving new areas of responsibility would necessarily come from someplace else. So what you would be doing is pushing activity around without actually creating new activity. So I say keep it as is. Change nothing much about the government (although a change itself would bring a short and momentary burst of activity as laws and organizations would have to be created or changed to fit the new structure) and instead find other ways and other avenues to create activity. The GAP is a great step in the right direction. Of course anyone can say we should find new avenues to create activity, but most people cant seem to think of anything right now (me include) (Anumia excluded). But we dont need everyone to think of something new we can do. A couple of people with 1 or 2 great ideas should suffice for a while. Im looking forward to the next great idea (hopefully eventually to run concurrently with the GAP when its set up and working smoothly).

Orioni said:
I would disagree. This is not just about administration, but also about the very act of politicking. The idea of Europeia is to be a political region. The struggle to establish yourself and gain political office is one our draws. We thrive on political debate and back and forth, our entire region is designed around government and government activity.

Cerian Quilor said:
...our entire region is designed around government and government activity.
Which neatly puts context to this article and the reasons (time will tell whether HEM was prescient or unnecessary in his doomsaying) for its publishment.

Publishment?

Also, get an avatar damn you. Your post looks horribly small without being stretched by an avatar :p

Orioni said:
From my own experience in NS, I've let go of the idea to form "governments". Although this is a game about politics, there no real elections to be had.
Let me clarify. The region I come from has had it last elections several years ago. If, right now, something needs to be done, it gets done by the people who desire it most. There is some basic discussion about how, what and when, but after those questions have been answered we go about our business with common sense as a guide. A very pragmatic participatory democracy. This way has proven to be most effective for our specific case. Experiences may vary.

Orioni said:
Orioni said:
From my own experience in NS, I've let go of the idea to form "governments". Although this is a game about politics, there no real elections to be had.
Let me clarify. The region I come from has had it last elections several years ago. If, right now, something needs to be done, it gets done by the people who desire it most. There is some basic discussion about how, what and when, but after those questions have been answered we go about our business with common sense as a guide. A very pragmatic participatory democracy. This way has proven to be most effective for our specific case. Experiences may vary.
I don't know which region this is, but presumably one less focused on government. If we were to move too far away from our current system we'd lose most of what generates activity.

Sopo said:
I don't know which region this is, but presumably one less focused on government. If we were to move too far away from our current system we'd lose most of what generates activity.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but government for the sake of government activity? </devilsadvocate>

Orioni said:
Sopo said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but government for the sake of government activity? </devilsadvocate>
We don't generate a lot of activity from RP, the WA, etc. Our government is not only an engrained part of the region, but a proving ground for new members as well. I, for one, like the fact that we want our President to have Senatorial, Foreign Affairs, and what have you experience before leading what is by all accounts of one of the most powerful and influential UCRs in the world.

Politics is our region, Orioni. Its central to how we market ourselves and to how we've gotten to this position of prominence.

Orioni said:
Sopo said:
I don't disagree that that makes no sense for some, but, as others have pointed out, a political region with no government wouldn't have a lot to offer.

I always like to test the waters I'm in. I hope you won't hold that against me. It's certainly a good sign that all of you stick to your principles. An admirable trait of a well-run region. I would have be more worried had you been easier to dissuade.

Orioni said:
Sopo said:
What else are gonna do? Isn't the bloody point of this game to interact with each other. Government's a pretty nifty way to accomplish that with a bit of drama.

Orioni said:
I always like to test the waters I'm in. I hope you won't hold that against me. It's certainly a good sign that all of you stick to your principles. An admirable trait of a well-run region. I would have be more worried had you been easier to dissuade.
So long as you don't let it happen again. :ph43r:

Orioni said:
I've found your thoughts to be insightful, though I think everyone has responded with appropriate answers. ^_^

Back