Opinion: Is anybody alive in there?

HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - "Is anybody alive in there? The last choice for Senate reform."
Written by HEM Tiberius

The Europeian Senate was once a shining institution of the Republic. Many -- if not all -- of Europeia's most historic figures passed through her halls, and citizen-legislator debated matters of great regional importance.

Nowadays, you'd be more likely to find a tumbleweed in the Senate than a grand debate.

Taking inventory of Senate accomplishments this term isn't hard, especially considering there are only four active threads in the Senate forum. The first -- most recent -- thread is a bill discussing the judicial branch (which may end up being unconstitutional), the second is a tabled criminal code amendment, the third is a bill from the Citizen's Assembly (which failed to pass), and the fourth is -- wait for it -- Speaker nominations.

While there has been not insignificant discussions behind closed doors (i.e. Senate Preliminary Discussions forum), there is no doubt that this current Senate hasn't had much to do. The question is whether this fault lay with the current Senators, or the system as a whole.

Many people have attributed Senate inactivity to the near perfection level status of our legal system here in Europeia -- and those people would have a point. However, the Citizens' Assembly -- which has no amount of power even comparable to the Senate -- still has managed to keep all topics on the first page within the last two weeks. The Senate couldn't even fill up a first page with topics.

There's also the matter of electorate expectations. Most current Senators got elected on a platform of "I don't really have any plans" and the people were okay with that. Those Senators that did offer any sort of agenda, suggested that there may be a need for laws regarding Anumia's Great Architecture Project -- but no legislation so far have surfaced. Who cares? Nobody really.

Voters tend to vote for candidates with the greatest name recognition, abandoning candidates who are new or somewhat controversial. Many Senators are only representing Europeians in the Senate part-time -- their day job being in Cabinet. The Senate used to serve as a stepping stone for new members, but new members would be more likely to find a Cabinet post through the junior ministries rather than an election to the legislature. As it sits, The Senate currently is as a democratically elected Old Boys Club -- highly regarded, holding enormous power, but not bothering to find anything to do.

Efforts to reform the Senate have died on their face. The highly anticipated Europeian Reform Coalition has died, efforts to revive it have been unsuccessful. Europeians never truly had the stomach for reform, perceiving any change to be more work than what it was worth. Marginal changes have been suggested, but nobody really cares enough to follow through with any of them: especially not the Senate itself.

Without the need to act, or the will to reform, what is the point of the Europeian Senate as it stands?

The storied institution has been reduced to an accountability board that Europeians trust to approve Presidential appointments and make sure the executive does anything too crazy (i.e. retain the VoNC). Carefully note, that neither of these functions are legislative.

The time to retire the Senate may be before us. Practicality may suggest that we should extend terms to six months, elect a board of "trustees" to keep the executive in check, and allow the Cabinet to run the region without a legislative branch. Any needed legal changes -- as few that exist -- could be easily put into place via Executive Order, which the Board of Trustees could veto if need be.

There is another option: that we drudge the discussion of Senate reform up once again. That we create an institution that -- like the Citizens' Assembly -- has purposes outside the legislative. I wish we could do that. I would be excited and thrilled for that discussion. However, my heart of hearts tells me that Europeia isn't really that keen on change, and that making this the final term of the Senate may be the only reformative course left to try.

What is so fundamentally wrong with the Senate as presently constituted that we need to change it by getting rid of it or massively reforming it?

Cerian Quilor said:
What is so fundamentally wrong with the Senate as presently constituted that we need to change it by getting rid of it or massively reforming it?
It's pointless?

That's a subjective value interpretation. You're expecting that the Senate should always be a bustle and hustle of activity or not existent, apparently. I don't think that the Senate needs to be that. I think the Senate continues to do the job it is designed to do, and that job doesn't always need constant boom, boom, boom.

You say we should give the Senate more than just legislation, in the same way that the CA has the WA to discuss. Okay, so what on earth do you propose we add to the Senate's portfolio?

Keep in mind that a lot of ideas that the Senate was supposed to work on have been given to the CA first and foremost. There's also other legislation in the works, and I know there was legislation that I thought Noto* would be proposing come this term but he hasn't.

*I say Noto because he was the most ardent critic/person involved in whatever issues were being discussed that needed legislating. My mind is making me completely forget what the issue was/issues were.

Lethen said:
Keep in mind that a lot of ideas that the Senate was supposed to work on have been given to the CA first and foremost. There's also other legislation in the works, and I know there was legislation that I thought Noto* would be proposing come this term but he hasn't.

*I say Noto because he was the most ardent critic/person involved in whatever issues were being discussed that needed legislating. My mind is making me completely forget what the issue was/issues were.
So you think everything is fine and dandy in the 4 thread Senate? :p

I agree completely with Cerian. We give the President a pass for not posting anything for a week after winning the election (and, really, retaining the position) but the Senate looks lax a day or two and only has one bill actively being discussed and we are supposed to jump down their collective throat?

Yes HEM. Because it's not designed to be a constant activity generator. Palatium Manor doesn't have that many posts; I guess we should kick you out of office? :wink:

Elias Greyjoy said:
I agree completely with Cerian. We give the President a pass for not posting anything for a week after winning the election (and, really, retaining the position) but the Senate looks lax a day or two and only has one bill actively being discussed and we are supposed to jump down their collective throat?
The Senate has four posts since they convened in early December. That's not a few days, unless of concept of space and time has been destroyed by moon rays.

Oh, yeah, and did you read my article? Because I wasn't attacking the Senators, I was attacking the Senate as an institution. I was saying it was broken from the inside out. So I wasn't "jumping down" anybody's "collective throat". ^_^

Lethen said:
Yes HEM. Because it's not designed to be a constant activity generator. Palatium Manor doesn't have that many posts; I guess we should kick you out of office? :wink:
My job is to be a pointless placeholder. The Senate's job is to be the legislature of the region.

HEM said:
Elias Greyjoy said:
The Senate has four posts since they convened in early December. That's not a few days, unless of concept of space and time has been destroyed by moon rays.

Oh, yeah, and did you read my article? Because I wasn't attacking the Senators, I was attacking the Senate as an institution. I was saying it was broken from the inside out. So I wasn't "jumping down" anybody's "collective throat". ^_^
I didn't get past about three posts on the most recent topic, so I apologize there.

Regarding the second half here, yes - I did - hence my commenting. <_< My point being that the "collective throat" is the Senate itself. Either way - is it the Senate's (the people or the institution) fault they are so dreary? You even suggest it isn't. If so, then why is the title of this article and the article itself clearly aimed as a veiled attack on the current Senators (not the "institution")?

HEM said:
Lethen said:
My job is to be a pointless placeholder. The Senate's job is to be the legislature of the region.
Well should we abolish the High Court then? Or perhaps do away with the Hall of Fame? You know, the University is constantly dead but instead of scrapping it out you support moves to reinvigorate it. And what about the Ministry of Interior? Where are your cries to get rid of that?

I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but it comes off as a lot more of stirring the proverbial pot because you have a bone to pick with the Senate than actual proactive article writing.

Lethen said:
HEM said:
Lethen said:
Well should we abolish the High Court then? Or perhaps do away with the Hall of Fame? You know, the University is constantly dead but instead of scrapping it out you support moves to reinvigorate it. And what about the Ministry of Interior? Where are your cries to get rid of that?

I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but it comes off as a lot more of stirring the proverbial pot because you have a bone to pick with the Senate than actual proactive article writing.
Okay, but we try to fix the University...why aren't we trying to fix the Senate?

You aren't suggesting a fix, you're suggesting a replacement.

Not that it would make a difference - the "new" body would have just as little to legislate regularly as the Senate.

I'd like to point out that most attempts to "fix" the University address its structure and function and ultimately come to naught because it's a matter of active and engaged membership more than anything else. Hy's changes to the University seem to reflect that, in my view: it shall be more a place of personal learning, a library of sorts, because time and time again we have seen a dearth in actual active participation.

Like I said (more or less) when I ran for the Senate last year: active and engaged Senators will lead to an active and engaged Senate.

Anumia said:
I'd like to point out that most attempts to "fix" the University address its structure and function and ultimately come to naught because it's a matter of active and engaged membership more than anything else. Hy's changes to the University seem to reflect that, in my view: it shall be more a place of personal learning, a library of sorts, because time and time again we have seen a dearth in actual active participation.

Like I said (more or less) when I ran for the Senate last year: active and engaged Senators will lead to an active and engaged Senate.
So our current inactivity is the fault of the current Senators?

The Senate can totally have the Criminal Code evaluation, if they're looking for something to do. We haven't really had much movement on that as of late, and we've got more than a few other pieces of pre-legislation on our plate right now in the CA.

*wishes there could be a way to pass pre-legislation that was more of a "look at this plz and do stuff" sort of thing versus actual, physical, changes* :ph43r:

Back