Opinion: Is anybody alive in there?

Common-Sense Politics said:
HEM said:
Lethen said:
Yes HEM. Because it's not designed to be a constant activity generator. Palatium Manor doesn't have that many posts; I guess we should kick you out of office? :wink:
My job is to be a pointless placeholder. The Senate's job is to be the legislature of the region.
Shucks. Every time I voted for a constitution or constitutional amendment regarding the Chancellory I was hoping there was more to it then that. Guess I should have just pushed for striking the language all together.
I was obviously being flippant with "pointless placeholder". My point is that the office of the Supreme Chancellor does not have many day-to-day tasks or duties. That is not to say the office doesn't have essential placeholding responsibilities. We have found in Nationstates that having a central figure (or in this case, figures) who guide the region tends to add stability. Our region has matured to the extent that such guidance needed is minimal, but I think it is one of the factors we could attribute to our longevity. The laurels do not necessarily go to me (especially after the first three years) but rather to the office.

So no, I don't think the office should be abolished, and I think it's importance is profound. However, is it useful to compare the activity requirements for my office to the activity requirements for a useful Senate? Absolutely not; and that was my point.

I don't see an inherent conflict between what Orioni and Cerian are saying. I think Orioni would agree that project management (both RP and RL) has a political component, and I know Cerian would agree that politics shouldn't be an end in itself, even in a political RP game like this one.

I think one of the strengths of Europeia's political system is that we never quite step fully into character -- we aren't at "war" with defenders we meet on the "battlefield"; we have RP and RL-themed topics alongside one another in our media, social and debating forums; and so on. Keeping that OOC element in play helps us get things accomplished. And it's a lot more fun to play the game when you recognize that your in-game adversaries might be perfectly decent folks IRL, which is easy to forget when you don't let yourself take your mask off once in a while.

Back