October Pre-Standing Senate Poll Results

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
The Panda's Pen opened a poll on the current Senate term and the upcoming election from October 18th to the 20th, and received sixteen responses. These are their stories. *dun dun*

Did you vote in the last Senate election?

Yes: 15
No: 1
Unable to: 0

What rating would you give the Senate this term?

Avg: 7.35
Mode: 8

What comments do you have about our Senate this term?
  • They accomplished a lot more than the previous term. I will say, it wasn't as much as would've been an excellent senate. Much work was done, nonetheless
  • Overall more active than the previous Senate, but still sometimes there were less comments or activity on matters than would have been preferred.
  • When there's effective leadership and organization it's impressive how much activity and progress can be done. Malashaan has proven yet again how effective he is at the helm.
  • They were much more active. I love their interaction and the wisdom from the senior citizens of Europeia was both mind-boggling and inspiring. They really showed their legislative clout.
  • Very active and very capable. Love it and not just because I was part of it.
  • Chewing through some pretty heavy stuff.
  • Very Active and productive
  • Lot's of stuff got done, although towards the end declined in productivity.
  • Not enough work was done, a couple things that were suppose to be a focus never got discussed, too much worthless legislation that doesn't matter.
  • Productive
  • Malashaan and CSP only mattered.
  • Extremely competent.
  • The Senate was prompt and insightful when debating legislation. It was interesting that what the Senate passed, nothing got vetoed (yet). They also got some important stuff, like the wait period simplification act, passed quickly when it needed to be.
  • Pretty good. Idk no real complaints from me atm.
  • Started well but started to slow down towards the end. Some Senators seemed unengaged.
  • Like any other. Nothing special happened.

What rating would you give Speaker Malashaan?

Avg: 9
Mode: 10

Do you have any comments on Malashaan's term?
  • nope. he's too good
  • MalSpeaker is BestSpeaker.
  • Malashaan was one of the most active members of the Senate, which was probably helped by their standing as Attorney General.
  • Cant Get better
  • Mal is a great speaker. Hes got the administrative side down pat and hes frankly the best at motivating activity
  • Da bomb
  • Mal is love. Mal is life. It's all ogre now.
  • Of course, Malashaan was a fantastic speaker.
  • I really liked how Mala took charge this term. He had a set amount of goals and set about crushing them. He stated his opinions, based them on Europeia law and legislature and judiciary opinions. He kept the peace and did his job. He didn't just open and close and allow voting and table things. He led the group.
  • There's a reason that Malashaan was unanimously chosen as Speaker with very little debate among the Senators, he has a proven track record of organization and task completion.
What rating would you give Senator Anumia?

Avg: 4.56
Mode: 3 and 6

Do you have any comments on Anumia's term?
  • Meh
  • Kinda absent, but brought valuable comments.
  • Anumia was almost yanked from the Senate two and a half weeks into his term, and I haven't seen much from him in the Senate debates aside from voting.
  • Activity
  • Oh, he was a Senator. I forgot.
  • Very rough start, that culminated in the recall petition which Anumia thankfully survived. It also seemed to have worked as a wake-up call, and Anumia was more involved in the second-half of the term.
  • No
  • the whole inactivity thing
  • His inactivity in the beginning hurt his grade but when hes active hes very good at the job.
  • He should of resigned when he originally found out he wasn't able to put in the amount of effort he should have been.
  • Despite his absence, Anumia obviously cares for Europeia and has a lot of experience. There was a knee-jerk reaction to said absence that would have been more credible if it had precedence, but he also responded to said absence. I didn't like that Anumia's vote always came last, as if the others were allowing it to him as an after-thought, but perhaps that was an inside joke.
  • After his initial inactivity, Anumia made some important contributions to the Senate this term.
  • As he has stated that he will not be running for re-election, I hope he will exercise his Honored Citizen speaking rights in the coming terms.
  • He had some issues which got in the way of a great term.

What rating would you give Senator Common-Sense Politics?

Avg: 7.25
Mode: 6, 8, and 9

Do you have any comments on Common-Sense Politics' term?
  • CSP has had overall good activity and has made some important contributions to the overall discourse.
  • He's great.
  • This Senate term was dominated by the Big Three of Malashaan, Drecq, and CSP. While CSP may be the lowest on the totem pole of those three, he still consistently proves that he knows his stuff, and will fight for what he thinks is the best direction for Europeia.
  • No
  • CSP did great. Active and had great contributions.
  • CSP has strong opinions and isn't afraid to voice them. When he is in differing view of things, he can be aggressive, but while he can be a little rude elsewhere, I've not really seen him become rude in the Senate. I admire his strong character and know he always has good reasoning to back up his words.
  • I rarely saw him. Almost feels like he pulled a McEntire
  • Kept his promises
  • CSP is the kind of guy thats big picture. He can look at something and know if its going to work or not. And hes got good ideas. Hes like a good architect. He just needs a good engineer to realize his plans.

What rating would you give Senator Drecq?

Avg: 7.875
Mode: 9

Do you have any comments on Drecq's term?
  • Drecq is Drecq
  • excellent as always. A real veteran
  • I gave myself nine points because I think I can do better but its honestly the best term in the Senate Ive had. We've gotten a lot of things done and improved a great many things. And Id like to say I was a big part of that and did my job quite well.
  • Senator Drecq seemed quieter this term compared to last, but since the last Senate was almost dead in the water, it might be the influx of activity that made him seem quiet. He was active and he did have a solid voice and good opinions and facts to back it up.
  • Watching Mal and Drecq debate legal points back and forth is quite enjoyable. Drecq clearly enjoys engaging with another active, knowledgeable legal mind within this Senate.
  • When doesn't Drecq excel in this role?
  • Not really he's a good legislature.
  • Drecq may not be the Speaker, but he was definitely a driving force in this term in legislative wording and discussion. A big part of the reason that Malashaan was able to be successful as Speaker is due to Drecq's ability to engage.

What rating would you give Senator Trinnien?

Avg: 6.813
Mode: 7

Do you have any comments on Trinnien's term?
  • Overall, very good second term. Held his own with the veterans, and made very productive comments.
  • My fave
  • Trinnien is still just starting out on his legislative career, but you can already see that he is an able technical legislator, has a good gut regarding workability, and works well. Give him a few more terms and Im certain he'll play in the same league as Mal and me. :p
  • You mean Rylian? :p
  • Trinnien's new-ness was a little more obvious now, but his penchant for working with others and finding compromise was refreshing as always. He asks the questions that I would ask and doesn't assume a working knowledge of all legislature.
  • Consistently active as a participant, but just outshone by his fellow Senators. Can't entirely fault him, it's hard competing on the same level. Still, it seemed like he took interest, and paid attention to discussions, which isn't a bad run for a young Senator.
  • Younger/ Active and something for younger members to aspire to.
  • Trinn is still learning his way in the Senate, but he's improved greatly this term, as he has a great set of fellow Senators to learn from. His high activity and interaction was appreciated.

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Anumia?

Avg: 2 (Out of 5, not 10)
Mode: 3

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect CSP?

Avg: 3.813
Mode: 5

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Drecq?

Avg: 4.313
If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Malashaan?

Avg: 4.75

If the Senate Election were held today, how likely is it that you would reelect Trinnien?

Avg: 3.875
Mode: 4

Are you planning on running for Senate in this upcoming election?

Yes: 4
No: 8
Unsure: 4

What legislative debate do you think was handled best by this Senate?
  • Im going to say CoR 2015.
  • Charter of Rights.
  • not sure.
  • All of them? Almost all of the legislative discussions that the Senate had this term were given serious consideration.
  • Idk
  • I really thought all of them were good and didn't have a best.
  • I didnt pay close enough atention.

What legislative debate do you think was handled worst by this Senate?
  • Repeal of Prison Act
  • IDK
  • Like the previous, I didn't have a worst. I liked all of the discussions had, short or long.
  • Not sure.
    [*[I didnt pay close enough atention.
  • Oh idk. I liked them all this term. Even the ones that arent at the top of my list were handled professionally and thoroughly.

What do you consider when deciding which Senatorial candidates to vote for?
  • As always, in this order:1. Ability, 2.Motivation and Activity, 3. Ideas (big and small). Ideas count for a lot, but if you dont have the motivation and activity to pursue them nothing will come of them and they are basically worthless. Motivation and activity are important, but if you dont have legislative ability to back them up (and that includes technical legislating, big picture legislating, and all the other different abilities that make up a great well rounded legislator) then it doesnt really matter how active you are.
  • Activity with ability is just as likely to make legislation worse as it is to make it better.
  • Ability and Activity can make up for a lack of ideas. Ability and ideas cant make up for a lack of activity and ideas and activity cant make up for a lack of ability.
  • Working knowledge of Europeia is important, but activity levels and commitment to the job, as well as a solid communication base, are equally important.
  • Platform, activity, experience.
  • Platform, history, and energy
  • Activity, Experience, Platform.
  • A platform shows and interest in running and the level of dedication The ability to analyze and interpret legislation Sufficient activity to be a valued contributor
  • Activity, platform, experience, promise of naked pics
  • Experience and Copmpetance
  • Previous behavior and experience as well as recent activity.
  • If they show/showed hostility towards me. If I think they can get stuff done. If they're me. If they're not annoying.
  • Activity.
  • Activity Energy Broader Involvement
  • Experience and ability.
  • Who the best candidate is.
  • I look at their ability to participate, but also ability to effectively engage. It's easy to always be online, it's more important that you also understand what is going on around you.
  • Commitment Experience Platform Ability to compromise

What new faces (i.e. not currently on the Senate) would you like to see run for Senate this term?

All names listed: Ninja Kittens, Rand, hyanygo, GraVandius, Kraketopia, Starstream Tribe, Fortunado, Kaboom, Mousebumples, Kuramia, Aexnidaral Seymour, Cool Spring, Netz, Shin 2.0, AgentShades, Polling Booths, wfa19, shufordbrian, Notolecta.

How could the Senate be improved?
  • Unsure
  • None really. The Senate is a basic framework of powers. The power to legislate main among them. What the Senate does and how well it does it doesnt depend on its framework, it depends on its Senators. This term was amazing. We've had terms with the same framework that were frankly shite.
  • Streamline PPA
  • Cool Spring and Kaboom, Netz, Rand, Kuramia in the Senate would be goals woot woot!
  • More Scotch and some tasteful baroque art
  • Literally boot everyone but Malashaan ans CSP
  • A more public face? as in more involvement outside of the senate
  • Make it illegal to require open form responses in polls.
  • I still believe the Senate should be moved to a largely maintenance roll where it is elected less often or perhaps unelected, since it largely just deals with emergency changes and minor clarifications and no long is the center of our democracy or governance.
  • weqweqweqweqwe
  • No suggestions.
  • No comment
  • The current Bill going through the Senate will already improve it.
  • I wouldn't mind seeing other Senators working on Legislature and opening up projects that need worked on. It seemed like it was mostly Malashaan working on goals. Perhaps all Senators should have goals for their terms.

Do you have any final comments on this Senate term or the upcoming election?
  • no
  • Vote for Calvin Coolidge come next presidential election season! #feelthepanda
  • Comment on this poll, don't require so many comment questions, I don't feel like typing out drawn out thoughts on half of this.
  • Hope it's more interesting than the Presidential one.
  • Lets try to elect some newcomers this term
  • weqeqweqweqweqwe
  • No comment.
  • Its was great. Lots of people should be wanting in on this. And if Mal doesnt run again Im going to find out his address, fly there, and kick his ass. I have too much fun legislating with him to let him drop out. And Europeia shouldnt accept him being anything less than Speaker either.
  • Swakistek for Senate!

Editor's Note: This article probably looks pretty barren and devoid of actual analysis. That is correct. I've been rather pressed for time, but I know these numbers and comments are important for the region, especially now that the election has already begun. I will be adding in images and analysis later today/tomorrow, but hopefully we can get some use out of the raw data in the meantime. Sorry for the inconvenience. ^_^

Raw Data.

#feelthepanda

so basically

#FeelThePanda
and
#FeelTheweqweqweqweqwe

This was a frankly amazing term. We had a lot of activity, amazing quality, and we legislated some really important stuff. And because of that comments like this:"Not enough work was done, a couple things that were suppose to be a focus never got discussed, too much worthless legislation that doesn't matter." really piss me off. Guess what, we redid the entire framework for how the Senate works by passing the SPA and repealing the PPA, we reworked the rights Citizens (and all other people) have, expanding a fair few of them in our new Charter of Rights, we passed an Act to create Holidays in Europeia, we passed an amendment to create a Deputy WAD, we passed an entire Act on how Referendums will work in Europeia, and a bunch more. And on everything that wasnt immediately clear one way or the other we had amazing discussion (45 pages of discussions this term so suck it). There is only so much a 5 person Senate can do in 70 days. Good legislative work requires time to discuss, to research (and as the person that wrote a lot of the real text we discussed that make up the amendments and new bills let me tell you some research needed to be done there), and to write.

I just dont like it when people who obviously have no idea try to devalue other peoples work. >:-(

That wasn't my comment, but - in general - if there's a topic that someone wants the Senate (or anyone) to address that isn't getting addressed, just a friendly reminder that Senators? Have offices. And you can post there (or in Mal's Speaker Suggestion Box) and give a "Why hasn't there been anyone working on [legislative topic that really matters to me]?" comment.

Doesn't stop people from answering things in ways that make Drecq frustrated, but maybe that'll solve some things in the future. And/or get more of those people invested as a Senate Aide working on research/prep for the topic that they care about ....

No Mouse. It is much more productive to anonymously moan about how your legislative topic of choice isnt what the Senators dream about when they close their eyes at night. Dont you know that that is how things get done? After all, where would we be without passive-aggressive comments? Of course I prefer actual aggression. Its much more cathartic and tends to get recognized much quicker. Also usually tends to result in better legislation.

Efficiency is my mantra. The Drecq variant of the Hull rule: prompt, adequate and effective.

I would be interested in getting in contact with those who offered negative feedback. If you're reading this, reach out to me on Skype or via PM and we can chat about your concerns.

I'll be honest the person Drecq quoted was me, and the holiday act, and Deputy WAD amendment were exactly what I was talking about. Acts that ad no actual value and we have no need for the existence of; those acts changed nothing about Europeia in a functional way. The referendum act was really just tidy up work from the term, and while some changes were made it's not like all that discussion really took place this term. Then you have the fact that most of the major discussion threads that were front his term have large gaps of time where there was literally no discussion going on. The PPA discussion had a two week gap at the end of September and another one week gap earlier this month for example. I 100% believe the Senate could have and should have gotten more work done this term than it did, and that it spent too much time working on matters of little importance.

For what it is worth, I think this Senate was good. There is no shame in timetabling discussions carefully to get the best out of our volunteer roleplaying Senators.

In contrast to Notolecta, the "work" was important. We're very unlikely to see shocking change for a lot of reasons so a large part of the volunteer's role is to make our rules clearer. Much like Rand (I believe it was him) I have a long standing dislike (in opposition to Anumia) with needless archaisms.

The thrust in legal drafting IRL is towards plain English and I don't see why it cannot be here as well.

Furthermore, our traditions in rule drafting borrow the worst from the terrified drafting of RL Anglo-American lawyers (covering minuate and special case after special case). It does not have to be this way. Arguably, simpler statutes are found in Continental (European) drafting. There clear, overarching principles are written. I know this is the case for French law at least, I am not sure about German law though.

*We have to be careful of fetishising French drafting as the situation is less clear cut than I have presented. I do not have the time to explain the French legal system.

Back