NS World Faire starts without Europeia

Sopo said:
It's not that I think there will be repercussions for our tardiness; I'm sure no one noticed. Once it was pointed it out, the government hopped right on it. It's that we had to point it out that is bothersome. This is exactly the kind of thing we should be far out ahead of.
I didn't hop right to it after it was pointed out. I was in the middle of "hopping right to it" when it was pointed out.

Malashaan said:
The thing that seems to be missing here is that the main problem was not being unprepared (we had a chunk of material ready to go, less than I would have liked, but a decent chunk) - the reason the booth was "late" getting opened is that the organizers didn't give us access until around 12 hours before the official opening, and once they did, real life commitments stopped SD from being immediately on hand. There are a lot of things about our preparations for the World Fair that I'm not happy with, but none of those led to the delay in the materials being uploaded - that was purely a case of the fact we should all recognize - no one is available 24/7, and if you only give someone a 12 hour window in which to do something, sometimes it's going to get missed. Hell, I'm pretty obsessive about getting things I've committed to done on time (more than once I've set an alarm and gotten up in the middle of the night just to be available for a specific event at a specific time before going back to sleep), and even I can't always guarantee to hit a 12 hour window.
The window was actually 24 hours. Had someone TG'd Unibot, they could have had the info sooner. Granted, that's still not a large window, and your point is well taken. It still seems like someone could have been available to do it had we been prepared in advance.

HEM said:
I can't go revealing stuff in private forums. Though if you are interested, the last time an EAAC thread regarding the Faire was posted in (bar those specifically about COPS II) was in late September, so I'm not sure what access to these private forums gives me.

What I can report is facts. The facts are that our booth was not open when the fair opened. The facts are that we had months to prepare for this. The facts are that our President and his Cabinet are all about Foreign Affairs.

There were mistakes made here, and I have every right to point them out. I grow weary of the "everything is fine and dandy" attitude. People have to be held accountable. It is possible for me to like Anumia and still criticize him. Hell, it's possible for me to vote for him and still criticize him. When did Europeia forget this?
This has nothing to do with revealing information from private forums - which, as a correction, also includes 21 Tomlinson and of course other private ways of contacting Anumia; it revolves entirely around the fact that, instead of using a few forums or sending a few PMs to at least get an explanation from the people involved, you decided to write a fluff piece to attack the current Administration right before polls open. Good job, you got some extra views for the ENN forums. It's still distasteful of you, however.

And to continue with the theme of "disingenuous and underhanded," how long have you had to prepare for elections that have still opened hours late when you could have certainly been ready to open them on time? How long did you have to deal with this stuff on the RMB before it snowballed over a few days into such a hot mess?

Europeia never forgot that you can criticize someone and still vote for them. No one has here. And no one is parroting the "everything is fine" line. They're just calling you on your bullshit move.

But don't worry, I'll give you a second third fourth fifth Nth chance. :wink:

Lethen said:
HEM said:
I can't go revealing stuff in private forums. Though if you are interested, the last time an EAAC thread regarding the Faire was posted in (bar those specifically about COPS II) was in late September, so I'm not sure what access to these private forums gives me.

What I can report is facts. The facts are that our booth was not open when the fair opened. The facts are that we had months to prepare for this. The facts are that our President and his Cabinet are all about Foreign Affairs.

There were mistakes made here, and I have every right to point them out. I grow weary of the "everything is fine and dandy" attitude. People have to be held accountable. It is possible for me to like Anumia and still criticize him. Hell, it's possible for me to vote for him and still criticize him. When did Europeia forget this?
This has nothing to do with revealing information from private forums - which, as a correction, also includes 21 Tomlinson and of course other private ways of contacting Anumia; it revolves entirely around the fact that, instead of using a few forums or sending a few PMs to at least get an explanation from the people involved, you decided to write a fluff piece to attack the current Administration right before polls open. Good job, you got some extra views for the ENN forums. It's still distasteful of you, however.

And to continue with the theme of "disingenuous and underhanded," how long have you had to prepare for elections that have still opened hours late when you could have certainly been ready to open them on time? How long did you have to deal with this stuff on the RMB before it snowballed over a few days into such a hot mess?

Europeia never forgot that you can criticize someone and still vote for them. No one has here. And no one is parroting the "everything is fine" line. They're just calling you on your bullshit move.

This administration had an entire term to plan for this event. There is no good reason for why it wasn't ready. Full stop, end of story.

Your attempts to try to frame me as a hypocrite are amusing, but not helpful nor relevant. I don't see anybody calling me on my "bullshit move", I see plenty of people who disagree about what happened. That is fine. We should disagree. But there are times I would prefer to move something to the public sphere for debate rather than bullshiting about it behind closed doors. That's my right, and I'll use it anytime I please.

Also, for the record: I have been involved in the RMB for over three days, you still have never named a person I have given more than three chances to, elections did open on time, and Sopo contacted Anumia and Seven Deaths privately before the Faire opened, with SD saying we were "as ready as we'd ever be."

HEM said:
Lethen said:
HEM said:

This administration had an entire term to plan for this event. There is no good reason for why it wasn't ready. Full stop, end of story.

Your attempts to try to frame me as a hypocrite are amusing, but not helpful nor relevant. I don't see anybody calling me on my "bullshit move", I see plenty of people who disagree about what happened. That is fine. We should disagree. But there are times I would prefer to move something to the public sphere for debate rather than bullshiting about it behind closed doors. That's my right, and I'll use it anytime I please.

Also, for the record: I have been involved in the RMB for over three days, you still have never named a person I have more than three chances to, elections did open on time, and Sopo contacted Anumia and Seven Deaths privately before the Faire opened, with SD saying we were "as ready as we'd ever be."
I dont like it when mom and dad fight. Now fight about which one is which. :p

I don't think the eventual posting was really a problem, but as Mal pointed out - the way the event was planned was pretty... sloppy. Two things that struck me during the entire planning:
1. Indeed the input from AMs was very low and coming from very few people. Nonetheless did I, for example, offer a hand in writing up some things, for which I'd need advice/information from other more seasoned AMs or SD himself... which never came.
2. Which brings me to my second point: I missed leadership during planning.

SD, you're a great guy, but it could've been organised better... :(

Mal was going to give you that information, but in the end just decided to write it himself.

HEM said:
As I've already said, my point has nothing to do with with the actual booth being opened late. I never made that an issue. I never even mentioned it. You've simply side-stepped my concerns to refocus the lens on something else.

But there are times I would prefer to move something to the public sphere for debate rather than bullshiting about it behind closed doors. That's my right, and I'll use it anytime I please.
Doesn't mean it's not disrespectful and unfair.

Also, for the record: I have been involved in the RMB for over three days, you still have never named a person I have given more than three chances to, elections did open on time, and Sopo contacted Anumia and Seven Deaths privately before the Faire opened, with SD saying we were "as ready as we'd ever be."
You barely posted in all that morass of spam and only took action after I texted you; you didn't ask me for names (and the fact that you gave three chances is enough to prove my point :p ); elections opened on time this time but have been pathetically late opening or closing in the past (not even a flowery speech this time?); and Sopo contacted them. Big whoop.

Normal convo: Sopo, what did they say? Oh, they said that? Hmm...ok. We'll wait and see. I'll probably ask them myself when and if things hit the fan.

Your convo: Sopo, what did they say? Oh, they said that? Hmm...better write a fluff piece for my newspaper the same day as elections to drum up views and stir up activity because that's just what do to here...and not tell them about it, either. People don't mind being blind-sided, right? Oh, something about alternative explanations and rationale that 100% make sense? Meh, must just be excuses for failure since they had an entire term. Since, you know, things in RL never come up to cause issues with NS. :gentleman: Oh, what's that? Something about criticism of this article? Oh, they must just be trampling on the ideals of holding people accountable.*

*which sounds suspiciously similar to those morons that say extremely stupid and offensive shit, get called on it, and then hide behind free speech because apparently opinions that aren't their own are mean and trample on free speech. Hmm...

I'm confused. If I have a valid point about the booth opening late and being poorly organized, why is it cheap and unfair to write a media article about that?

I was involved in the RMB situation before you texted me. I just acted again, more forcefully, once you did. So thanks, but it's not like I was clueless of the entire thing. Though, once more, my personal actions have little to do with the situation at the NS World Faire.

You seem to be arguing that this was a small issue and should have been handled in private. But where is the line between handling something in public or private? It is different for all of us, though I do find it funny I am being lectured about being too "mean" in public by someone who has regularly angered members by being too blunt with them in public. What's the difference? That I put my problem under an ENN header? Or that you think friends owe each other unconditional loyalty in politics? An unconditional loyalty that you seem to not pay me when bashing my more compassionate nature, or mocking me for whatever you feel like?

...And don't get Jesus involved in this!

HEM said:
...And don't get Jesus involved in this!
:ph43r: Whatever do you mean?

I'm confused. If I have a valid point about the booth opening late and being poorly organized, why is it cheap and unfair to write a media article about that?
Because of the timing; the tone; and the fact that you had other channels clearly available to you (that aren't available to most citizens) but decided against using them. To what? Stir up activity? Throw a stone in a (seemingly) glass house? Offer criticism because people aren't being critical enough?

I was involved in the RMB situation before you texted me. I just acted again, more forcefully, once you did. So thanks, but it's not like I was clueless of the entire thing. Though, once more, my personal actions have little to do with the situation at the NS World Faire.
Never said they did, merely used them to undermine your argument. :wink:

You seem to be arguing that this was a small issue and should have been handled in private. But where is the line between handling something in public or private?
The line is somewhere between "this is a small thing that doesn't need an article about it" and "this is a mole hill I'm trying to turn into a mountain."

It is different for all of us, though I do find it funny I am being lectured about being too "mean" in public by someone who has regularly angered members by being too blunt with them in public.
Once more, my personal actions have little to do with the discussion in this thread.

What's the difference? That I put my problem under an ENN header? Or that you think friends owe each other unconditional loyalty in politics? An unconditional loyalty that you seem to not pay me when bashing my more compassionate nature, or mocking me for whatever you feel like?
First, I've already established why I think this was a dick move. Second, I don't think friends owe one another unconditional loyalty in politics (see: Anumia's first term years ago), but I do think they owe one another a little slack and enough decency to sort things out in private instead of turning to the public sphere as a first resort. As for the other thing, I don't bash your compassionate nature; I don't even bash you. I make tongue-in-cheek jokes (as does the forum population :emb: ) about how many "second chances" you have dealt out over the years - nothing to do with your nature. And honestly, how often do I mock you? Not very often.*

*Unless you're talking about other tongue-in-cheek comments about things like your activity standards and such, which - while possibly valid - can easily be countered by everything everyone else says about me that can be considered just as credible.

:popkorn:

But seriously can anyone explain to me why it is so disastrous that we were a few hours late for opening our booth? Isn't it common knowledge that it is fashionable for the big stars (Europeia) to let their audience wait... :emb:

Yeah, it comes across as little more than a dick measuring contest.

It's pointless to fight about it, you two; you're both microscopic. :p

Back