former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - "Europeian Booth Empty at NS World Faire"
Written by HEM Tiberius

As of 12:00am Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5) the second ever Nationstates World Faire has opened to the public. Already, 22 venues are open and ready to go, but Europeia's is not one of them.

Former President Sopo had the following to say about the lackluster start for Europeia at the Faire: "This is really an embarrassment for our region. When projects like the GAP are the headliners in our region, you'd think we'd be eager to take any opportunity for free, concentrated interregional advertising. This is a great opportunity to tell other regions and their citizens why Europeia is special, why we are great. At the moment, we're missing out."

With the Anumia Administration having months to prepare for this event, it seems surprising that Europeia is starting with an empty booth. Faire insiders have confirmed to ENN that event organizers did have time to advance to prepare the booth before the midnight opening just half an hour ago, though the Europeian Foreign Ministry have now made clear that they did not get access until just a few hours ago.

"The election schedule has probably thrown this event into whack," ENN contributor and Princeton Professor Paul Krugman says, "The transition is making is extremely awkward. Who exactly will be in charge midway through? It's very confusing. That being said, we had months to prepare for this. Months. As of October we were promising to have the best booth possible. As of right now, we have no booth."

Europeia has been working over the past few months to exert foreign influence through the GAP program and other means. Many citizens are critical as to why, in light of the administrations emphasis on foreign affairs, this event wasn't taken more seriously.

UDPDATE: The Culture Ministry of Europeia has confirmed to ENN that they are working around the clock to get a booth ready for Europeia.

:lol: at that 'update'

You'd think, hmmm, would the Culture Ministry have known about this before? :rolleyes:

This is quite sad, indeed. Good article, HEM.

Oh for the love of...

I got access only a few hours ago(and have only been home from work for 2 hours since I've had access) and with the exception of a few people, have only gotten one or two ideas. I'm waiting still on some stuff from Lexus and am in the process of putting stuff up. I've had no time to get that much stuff up. Chill, gods. You people are so impatient.

Slipped through someone's fingers somewhere down the line. Disappointing.

Seven Deaths said:
Oh for the love of...

I got access only a few hours ago(and have only been home from work for 2 hours since I've had access) and with the exception of a few people, have only gotten one or two ideas. I'm waiting still on some stuff from Lexus and am in the process of putting stuff up. I've had no time to get that much stuff up. Chill, gods. You people are so impatient.
Well, I did ask you about it yesterday, precisely because I saw this coming, and we were "ready as we'll ever be."

That doesn't make anything I said any less true. I'm as ready now as I was yesterday, it's just a matter of getting it up. I was in the middle of my shift at work when I got access to the Fair Forums and had a large raid to participate in when I got home so I've only put a few things up. I'm still working on it.

Here is the thread where discussions regarding the fair began. If you look at the date on the thread, you will see exactly why people are confused as to why we don't have anything ready. We started talking about this months ago. Don't act like this was "sprung" on you at the 11th hour, we had months to prepare. The ball was dropped by this administration.

HEM said:
Here is the thread where discussions regarding the fair began. If you look at the date on the thread, you will see exactly why people are confused as to why we don't have anything ready. We started talking about this months ago. Don't act like this was "sprung" on you at the 11th hour, we had months to prepare. The ball was dropped by this administration.
That's the thread I used to begin discussions for venue ideas. Ideas which I never got. This thread which you can only see if you're in the Event Planning group was started even earlier and yet I still didn't get many ideas I could use. I've been trying really hard to come up with ideas on my own, but I've only got a few and I'm in the process of putting those up. I wouldn't say the Administration dropped the ball, mainly anyone who could have offered ideas dropped the ball. Does this mean me? Sure it does. I wouldn't call it "disappointing" though.

Seven Deaths said:
HEM said:
That's the thread I used to begin discussions for venue ideas. Ideas which I never got. This thread which you can only see if you're in the Event Planning group was started even earlier and yet I still didn't get many ideas I could use. I've been trying really hard to come up with ideas on my own, but I've only got a few and I'm in the process of putting those up. I wouldn't say the Administration dropped the ball, mainly anyone who could have offered ideas dropped the ball. Does this mean me? Sure it does. I wouldn't call it "disappointing" though.
People didn't hand you ideas to use? So it's not your fault? :rolleyes:

Our government should solicit ideas from everyday citizens -- that's a great idea. But to say this administration is excused from planning and executing and important foreign relations event because the comment box is empty is...laughable. We elected you to do your job.

HEM said:
People didn't hand you ideas to use? So it's not your fault? :rolleyes:

Our government should solicit ideas from everyday citizens -- that's a great idea. But to say this administration is excused from planning and executing and important foreign relations event because the comment box is empty is...laughable. We elected you to do your job.
I never once said it wasn't my fault. I said I dropped the ball. I also shouldn't be expected to be the only one to plan this.

Seven Deaths said:
I never once said it wasn't my fault. I said I dropped the ball. I also shouldn't be expected to be the only one to plan this.
He's saying administration, so I assume he includes the President and Vice President and MoFA or cultivation or whatever we're calling it now within those that were unable to plan well in advance.

Am I the only one who finds it a tad disingenuous and underhanded that a person with full access to these discussions in the EAAC is instead ignoring them to push a fluff piece?

I honestly don't know why anybody cares that much about this event. It's pretty lame and tacky.

Lethen said:
Am I the only one who finds it a tad disingenuous and underhanded that a person with full access to these discussions in the EAAC is instead ignoring them to push a fluff piece?
Thank you. To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed at this. How dare the campaign period be quieter due to Christmas and New Years. How dare we be twelve hours late to opening the venue given both this and the fact that the election is due, like, right now, and it is entirely possible (in fact this is exactly what happened) but not even considered here that I made the decision to delay our permanent set-up presence by a day so that if for example Matthew Vinage won he would not be consigned to choices I made that would have effectively locked his Administration in.

Add to that that Seven Deaths made it a core focus but received a lacklustre response from people including the author (I cannot pretend to have offered much personally but I wasn't around for the first NS Faire and have never claimed culture as a particularly strong point for myself)...and I really thing it's a little unfair on him especially.

Lethen said:
I can't go revealing stuff in private forums. Though if you are interested, the last time an EAAC thread regarding the Faire was posted in (bar those specifically about COPS II) was in late September, so I'm not sure what access to these private forums gives me.

What I can report is facts. The facts are that our booth was not open when the fair opened. The facts are that we had months to prepare for this. The facts are that our President and his Cabinet are all about Foreign Affairs.

There were mistakes made here, and I have every right to point them out. I grow weary of the "everything is fine and dandy" attitude. People have to be held accountable. It is possible for me to like Anumia and still criticize him. Hell, it's possible for me to vote for him and still criticize him. When did Europeia forget this?

Rach said:
I mean, even Balder had their booth open and we don't even really want to go :p
I actually laughed out loud when reading this :p

Lethen said:
To take at least part of the blame, I was the one who noticed and pointed it out to HEM, and I have no such access.

Anumia: To say that you're disappointed that someone has chosen to criticize your action/inaction is disappointing to me. We have every right to be watchdogs. In this particular case, I saw something that I thought was unacceptable, especially considering that I had brought up the topics with the relevant persons prior to the situation occurring. For an administration so focused on foreign affairs and Europeia's status abroad, I think it was strange and somewhat neglectful that we were not prepared for an event that easily helps us reinforce those goals. It's clearly not that we don't care about the fair or think it's a waste; you and r3n are leading the discussion on COPS II and HEM is giving a lecture. We have a clear presence there, but we didn't in our own venue.

It's not that I think there will be repercussions for our tardiness; I'm sure no one noticed. Once it was pointed it out, the government hopped right on it. It's that we had to point it out that is bothersome. This is exactly the kind of thing we should be far out ahead of.

The thing that seems to be missing here is that the main problem was not being unprepared (we had a chunk of material ready to go, less than I would have liked, but a decent chunk) - the reason the booth was "late" getting opened is that the organizers didn't give us access until around 12 hours before the official opening, and once they did, real life commitments stopped SD from being immediately on hand. There are a lot of things about our preparations for the World Fair that I'm not happy with, but none of those led to the delay in the materials being uploaded - that was purely a case of the fact we should all recognize - no one is available 24/7, and if you only give someone a 12 hour window in which to do something, sometimes it's going to get missed. Hell, I'm pretty obsessive about getting things I've committed to done on time (more than once I've set an alarm and gotten up in the middle of the night just to be available for a specific event at a specific time before going back to sleep), and even I can't always guarantee to hit a 12 hour window.

Back