Kicking the Beehive

Oliver

The following was sent to the Editors of ENN by Caninope.
-- Ed.

It has been said that Europeia is a tame beast. Far too tame. For that, I would have to agree. It has been said that this is killing the region's politics. I would have to agree, like Oliver. Thomas Mann once remarked, rather truthfully that "Everything is politics" in Der Zauberg. This I find to be especially true in a game that's based around politics. But what happens when everything has become polite?

Politics, similarly reaches a civil discourse. This is impossible, as there are always conflicting powers, powers that will fight dirty, to the death. Oliver has recently outlined this with the Westminsterian ideas of shadow cabinets. America has had it develop with the press, especially since the development of the 24 hours new cycle, as well as the very present idea of legislative action against the President and the administration (the recent use of the filibuster within the Senate of the US seems a prime example). But what about Europeia? Does it have a loyal opposition? No. Instead it has the few who disagree, who may even be a bit disgruntled, but they say nothing.

This, this is our problem. Our politics need more conflict. Frederick the Great noted that every man was a beast on the inside. Why is it that we enjoy are beasts? Our primal side enjoys conflict. That's what Europeia is missing. This would do our system some good. We lose members because of burn out. While burn out would occur just as often if Europeia were to reach drama on the level of a soap opera, it is my solid belief that with conflict, people would be drawn to stay. With solid lines, people would be intrigued, they would have something to stand by, to work for than just getting burned out. I remember (to go back to my first days) of an old dead collection of regions called the Commonwealth. It's greatest moments often turned out to be the moments of the most infighting. The shining moment of the Commonwealth? A very, very ugly election. Three months of the year had been leading up to this- Henry facing Lord McEntire. Both are Europeian citizens of good repute, and both were citizens of good repute then. But this election was gruesome. The mudslinging started early, and it lasted. The best part about the whole thing? It was fun.

So, we move on to the important bit here. How do we bring this back? We revitalize the way things are done. We give more power to the Senate. We want the nouveau power to conflict with the old power. We want the Senate to be a hive of activity, not just on legislation but on every manner of topic, including "Executive" topics. Just today, I asked about Naval policy to a Senate candidate and Peaceful Llamas inquired into why I was asking a legislative candidate about an executive issue. I applaud Peaceful Llamas for upholding a separation of powers- for this he should be commended. The Navy does fall under the Executive, and it has been longstanding Europeian tradition to let it flow, to let the two branches act separately. No more. I say that we, the people, allow the Senate to turn confirmation hearings into tough hearings for the candidate, that we do not rubber stamp. We should threaten votes of no confidence if needed (although I would prefer to keep that to a minimum).

I say we turn the Executive into more than just a bureaucratic position. Oh yes, I know, I haven't been here long, and I haven't been President, but I've watched and I've been Executive in a similar place, and I know that it's the same everywhere we go. It's just a position overseeing what everyone else is doing. Well, let's not just do that. Let's let the Cabinet run their departments, and let the President get back into politicking. Like the Senate, let's give the President substantial power. Let's encourage him to use the Executive Order. Let's make him active, not a desk clerk, but a hero or villain. Let's stir the pot up.

And let's get some parties here! It seems that any region with interesting politics has a hivebed of political parties, but here, I see none. Of 25 members on the City Council (maybe 26 now), all of them are independent. Why? I ask why? What happened to the political party system that once dominated here when politics seemed to be made of close races? Parties are factions. Factions are what makes politics interesting, but since the disappearance of parties, and with them, factions, things have gone downhill.

Europeia, let's stir things up. Let's kick the beehive. Most importantly, let's jump in, headfirst

Not a bad article. Fighting is like the Laffer curve though, there comes a time where it stops being effective.

Not a bad article. Fighting is like the Laffer curve though, there comes a time where it stops being effective.
Say what?

:axe: :axe: :axe:
There comes a time where people start to be driven away and get frustrated. This almost happened in the Falconias era of politics, where the NCP almost left the region to join Falconias in Equinox.

Say what?

:axe: :axe: :axe:
There comes a time where people start to be driven away and get frustrated. This almost happened in the Falconias era of politics, where the NCP almost left the region to join Falconias in Equinox.
I was being sarcastic with the emoticons.

And, for the most part, I do agree with you. However, debate and conflict provide activity, and provoke more looking into situations.

Considering how rather stagnant Europeia is right now, we could use a bit of bruising and bloody noses.

I will not deny that. This election mentioned was one of the factors in Henry's decision to leave that particular region.

Fighting is a Laffer curve, so to speak. And Europeia is on the far left end of it.

Considering how rather stagnant Europeia is right now, we could use a bit of bruising and bloody noses.
There's definitely an extent to which I agree with this, but I think our executive is anything but underpowered. I think encouraging the President to act with such recklessness is perhaps a bit hasty. I think the vision set out in the Shadow Cabinet is a more responsible vision of a similar goal.

There's definitely an extent to which I agree with this, but I think our executive is anything but underpowered. I think encouraging the President to act with such recklessness is perhaps a bit hasty. I think the vision set out in the Shadow Cabinet is a more responsible vision of a similar goal.
I meant bruising and bloody noses in general.

I think its an interesting letter by Caninope to say the least.

The Executive isn't underpowered so much as overly bureaucratic. The role of President has come to Lead Bureaucrat in many places- making sure everyone doing what they need. What else is the President to do? To paraphrase Stephen Colbert, "I don't know. That's why we need to get this." We need to give the President leeway to do things his way. We need real contention in the region.

The Executive isn't underpowered so much as overly bureaucratic. The role of President has come to Lead Bureaucrat in many places- making sure everyone doing what they need. What else is the President to do? To paraphrase Stephen Colbert, "I don't know. That's why we need to get this." We need to give the President leeway to do things his way. We need real contention in the region.
I don't think you've ever been President, but this in no way was how being President was when I was President. Just because the directives being given to the Ministers are hidden (boo!) doesn't mean the President is merely nagging them to do work.

I don't think you've ever been President, but this in no way was how being President was when I was President. Just because the directives being given to the Ministers are hidden (boo!) doesn't mean the President is merely nagging them to do work.
I would agree. When I was Vice President, most of what Dre did was far from bureaucratic.

I agree and disagree. I feel there is much underused potential, and alot of power that is...ignored.

Oh I have Executive experience Oliver. Sadly. Not here, I will admit. The problem I see here, in Europeia, is that it's just the same template. Europeia, yes, has helped form that template, but why not do something new?

The Presidency has some powers, especially in FA. But it is acting through the will of the ministers, more than anything. I want to see a President who uses that Executive Order like they own it. I want to see a solid contention between the two branches. I want to see a solid contention within the Senate itself.

In fact, I don't think some of your ideas are particularly bad. You want the Senate to be a watchdog. You know what I want the Senate to be? A gladiator, the same with the Presidency. A spectacle for all of Europeia to see. A spectacle where everyone gets involved. A spectacle that requires an increase in the power/activity of both sides.

I agree and disagree. I feel there is much underused potential, and alot of power that is...ignored.
This is what I'm talking about. It's not necessarily that the President lacks Constitutional Power, but that they are ignore or underuse much of it.

This is what I'm talking about. It's not necessarily that the President lacks Constitutional Power, but that they are ignore or underuse much of it.
Some powers are not exactly every day powers. I'd encourage the President to try to steamroll over the Senate if I could be certain that the Senate was really ready to fight. I am, and other candidates are, but we don't know what the makeup of the Senate will be, so I can't predict that the Senate could withstand an assault from a President making use of their full powers.

Executive Orders are sketchy because they trample on the Senate's assigned responsibilities. Urgent issues are one thing, but to throw them around just because you want to make a splash? A bit sketchy.

Some powers are not exactly every day powers. I'd encourage the President to try to steamroll over the Senate if I could be certain that the Senate was really ready to fight. I am, and other candidates are, but we don't know what the makeup of the Senate will be, so I can't predict that the Senate could withstand an assault from a President making use of their full powers.

Executive Orders are sketchy because they trample on the Senate's assigned responsibilities. Urgent issues are one thing, but to throw them around just because you want to make a splash? A bit sketchy.
A bit sketchy? Yes. Normally, I wouldn't recommend it. But I reckon that the makeup of the next Europeian senate, whether you, I, Jusduckria, PL, or whoever else gets elected or not, will be ready. They will be ready to fight. They will be made of people, both veterans and new to the region, people who want to make a difference. These people are ready for an upcoming Presidential veto, EO, and whatever else.

It's not like the EO hasn't been used for relatively mundane stuff either- take the Chief of Staff Act.

The thing is, people tell us we need to be less and more vicious at the same time. Unfortunately, while this is a well-written and interesting article, it's not a practical solution to Europeia's problems. Things like political parties and furious opposition just don't catch on here for the long haul, they just don't interest us for whatever reason, and I think we have a more stable region as a result. The Commonwealth rose and fell in all of two years, Europeia's going on like 40.

The thing is, people tell us we need to be less and more vicious at the same time. Unfortunately, while this is a well-written and interesting article, it's not a practical solution to Europeia's problems. Things like political parties and furious opposition just don't catch on here for the long haul, they just don't interest us for whatever reason, and I think we have a more stable region as a result. The Commonwealth rose and fell in all of two years, Europeia's going on like 40.
40? 40 =/= 4. :p

Back