iPhone 5

Apple announced the sixth generation of the revolutionary iPhone series as the iPhone 5 today. The new phone starts at $199 with a two-year contract and will 18% thinner with a 4-inch Retina display, a powerful A6 processor, a camera exactly like the iPhone 4S but thinner and with faster picture snapping and better low light photo taking, 4G LTE on more networks across Canada, Europe, and Asia (the U.S. will support LTE on AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint as before), and much more!

Apple also announced the new iPod touch with the same display and processor and a new iPod nano. Both the iPhone 5 and new iPod touch will ship with iOS 6, which will bring Facebook integration, Shared Photo Streams, Passbook (for all your tickets, loyalty cards, credit cards, etc.), and a better Siri that looks up sports, movies, and restaurants!

Check out more details from Engadget! :D

There are definitely arguments for both sides of the iOS/Android debate. With Android, it's a lot like Windows: similar operating system, more devices, more customization, and a more distributed ecosystem (Google Play). With iOS and OS X, though, you get a lot of syncing now over iCloud, devices that perfectly suit different niches (iPhone for calls and texting, iPad for light computing and video chat, Mac for heavy computing and gaming), and an iTunes ecosystem.

I don't actually care about many of the new features in iPhone 5. I ruin the form factor on my 4S by using a case because I'm superparanoid about breaking it.

Better camera is admittedly nice, and I would love that, but I'm also happy with the one I have in the 4S. It's amazing.

Fast chip? Again, nice, but I don't find the chip in my 4S to be 'slow' by any measure.

4G? Would be nice, but not going to be available in Australia.

Bigger screen? Ehhhh...I don't find the screen on the 4S too small for my purposes. I wouldn't notice the difference if it was a little bigger.

Different connector would annoy me, unless there was a free adaptor. I have many Apple chargers and cables for the existing connector, thank you very much.

So in summary, the only change that I really love is the better camera...and I'm not forking out the cash for a new phone when I have 12 months on the contract left for my 4S and my existing phone meets my needs just fine.

I daresay that I won't even be looking at replacing my phone until my contract runs out, at the end of next year, and then I will wait until Apple brings out its 5S or its 6 before I upgrade.

On a separate note, I was thinking whether I would've liked a Macbook Pro instead of my Dell XPS which I bought in January, but apart from the form factor, I think I got far better value for my XPS. Also because I'd have to buy Windows, because I hate OS X. :p

I don't actually care about many of the new features in iPhone 5. I ruin the form factor on my 4S by using a case because I'm superparanoid about breaking it.

Better camera is admittedly nice, and I would love that, but I'm also happy with the one I have in the 4S. It's amazing.

Fast chip? Again, nice, but I don't find the chip in my 4S to be 'slow' by any measure.

Bigger screen? Ehhhh...I don't find the screen on the 4S too small for my purposes. I wouldn't notice the difference if it was a little bigger.

Different connector would annoy me, unless there was a free adaptor. I have many Apple chargers and cables for the existing connector, thank you very much.

So in summary, the only change that I really love is the better camera...and I'm not forking out the cash for a new phone when I have 12 months on the contract left for my 4S and my existing phone meets my needs just fine.

I daresay that I won't even be looking at replacing my phone until my contract runs out, at the end of next year, and then I will wait until Apple brings out its 5S or its 6 before I upgrade.

On a separate note, I was thinking whether I would've liked a Macbook Pro instead of my Dell XPS which I bought in January, but apart from the form factor, I think I got far better value for my XPS. Also because I'd have to buy Windows, because I hate OS X. :p

I have a case for my 4S as well. And I see what you're saying about the camera and chip. Oh and actually, Australia is going to have support for the LTE in the iPhone 5. But if I upgraded now, I wouldn't mind the connector because it's reversible, and I would like having a fifth row of apps.

I have a case for my 4S as well. And I see what you're saying about the camera and chip. Oh and actually, Australia is going to have support for the LTE in the iPhone 5. But if I upgraded now, I wouldn't mind the connector because it's reversible, and I would like having a fifth row of apps.

Oh, okay. That's cool. But I still find 3G fast enough for me regardless. And hopefully it'll be even faster once other people get onto 4G. :D

I don't cope well with change, though. Nice battery and all, but they changed the screen size...and if I can see the change, the change is probably bad. CHANGE BAD!

*riots*

Oh, okay. That's cool. But I still find 3G fast enough for me regardless. And hopefully it'll be even faster once other people get onto 4G. :D

I don't cope well with change, though. Nice battery and all, but they changed the screen size...and if I can see the change, the change is probably bad. CHANGE BAD!

*riots*

:axe:

Back