Forum Reduction Project Survey

Mousebumples said:
TNP also doesn't have 1 admin that's in charge of cit apps, so I suspect it may have been a case of, "Eh, someone else will handle it."
So if we put Lethen in charge of everything things will be more efficient? :ph43r:

Well, there goes the region. And the EBC.

Disregarding the off-topic Hemthen banter, have any decisions been made about this? I'm on the edge of my proverbial seat.

No, and we're discussing it. I've also personally been waiting until I can catch the majority of the admins online so we can have a "live" discussion

Update: After hearing a lot of feedback and discussion, I've made the following adjustments. The scenario that I've implemented is really a "least common denominator" scenario, where I mostly did things that were pretty broadly agreed up:

— Combined office of citizenship and ambassadors by moving the ambassadors forum in as a subforum
— Moved the Debate Hall into The Republic Square
— Moved Roleplay Central into the Cultural Hub
— Moved The Wellbeing Hub Into the Cultural Hub

These actions will bring us to a net decrease of 4 mainpage subforums, which is slightly under our goal of 5. Moves that are still under consideration, but we believe need more discussions:

— Condense Naval Recruitment under the Civil Service
— Condense Naval HQ into The Octagon (only applicable to navy members and leadership)

Feel free to offer feedback via any medium you'd wish.

Quick questions:

(1) If we deleted the Debate Hall, should we move the contents into the RS or the Grand Hall? Another place we haven't considered?

(2) If the "archives for active forums" were phased out (except the one or two that have time-sensitive or classified threads) would anyone really care?

Lethen said:
Quick questions:

(1) If we deleted the Debate Hall, should we move the contents into the RS or the Grand Hall? Another place we haven't considered?

(2) If the "archives for active forums" were phased out (except the one or two that have time-sensitive or classified threads) would anyone really care?
1) Please no to both. I don't read the Debate Hall, but I _do_ read both of those other forums. I don't want to see it cluttered up with threads I don't care about. :(

2) What do you mean by "phased out" ? That is ... not even close to being a clear descriptor of what you want to do, so I have no clue if I'd care or not.

Mousebumples said:
Lethen said:
Quick questions:

1) Please no to both. I don't read the Debate Hall, but I _do_ read both of those other forums. I don't want to see it cluttered up with threads I don't care about. :(

2) What do you mean by "phased out" ? That is ... not even close to being a clear descriptor of what you want to do, so I have no clue if I'd care or not.
Basically, stop archiving threads to random active forum archives in the name of "tidiness" and possibly consider deleting the archives and moving them back to their original forums.

I like archives. I agree that some things are archived prematurely, so perhaps a more judicious "archiving policy" can/should be followed.

However, if we get rid of archives, I would suggest seeing if r3n could add a "Unpin & Lock" auto-tool to basically accomplish the same thing as archiving, so we don't have people digging up ages old threads to gravedig when they're not relevant to what the [area] is currently discussing. (i.e. a discussion thread from when I was CA Chair, 2 years ago; bumping a GA/SC resolution vote thread from 5 years ago; asking about a policy decision posted by someone 8 terms ago, etc.)

I'd rather we keep threads in their original forums with or without locks than stash them away to avoid a possible gravedig that we can simply enforce as a community. The "active" forum archives are fairly pointless - you're literally moving threads from one forum to another without a point. We have archives for archived forums, subforums, etc. Except for the EAAC, "active archives" aren't needed.

As for the Debate Hall, we should get rid of it. Just no idea where to dump the contents.

Lethen said:
I'd rather we keep threads in their original forums with or without locks than stash them away to avoid a possible gravedig that we can simply enforce as a community. The "active" forum archives are fairly pointless - you're literally moving threads from one forum to another without a point. We have archives for archived forums, subforums, etc. Except for the EAAC, "active archives" aren't needed.

As for the Debate Hall, we should get rid of it. Just no idea where to dump the contents.
I agree with Lethen, except that I think we will get a lot of pushback on the Debate Hall point. I am currently undecided about it.

P.S. The office of foreign affairs has been made a main-page forum again.

We're discussing a few changes, but one of the main ones we're trying to grapple with now is what to do with the Wellbeing and Cultural Hubs. Any thoughts, non-admins?

Getting rid of archives for active forums is fine with me.

While for many fora this would work, due to the fact that the court archives lead to a categorization of the archived threads by case type, it would be best if that be maintained for record-keeping purposes. SImilarly, I can see a case for the WA archiving to continue to differentiate between GA, SC, and old announcements.

Moronist Decisions said:
While for many fora this would work, due to the fact that the court archives lead to a categorization of the archived threads by case type, it would be best if that be maintained for record-keeping purposes. SImilarly, I can see a case for the WA archiving to continue to differentiate between GA, SC, and old announcements.
I think the courts might be an exception to this change (i.e. those archives actually have a purpose).

I assume the Senate would be exempt from the archive removal as well?

Back