Forum Reduction Project Survey

This is the main page forums we should remember. There are a lot of useless subforums floating around too. I'll post my list of suggestions/proposals later.

Malashaan said:
I think discussing whether we need both the Octagon and the ERN HQ on the front page is a good discussion. Large chunks of thee Octagon just aren't used. E.g., the mess hall hasn't been posted in since January 2015, and that isn't the least used one.
I like the idea of citizens having quick and prominent access to victory reports and sailors having quick access to the ERN HQ. That doesn't mean having the ERN HQ as a subforum inside the Octagon wouldn't allow quick access, but there are numerous forums I'd amalgamate before the Octation/ERN HQ.

But that's one of the easiest to knock off the proverbial "To-Do" list since there's realistically no purpose in having them separate. You just said yourself that combining them would not prevent quick access.

Why are we worried about hidden subforums though? I mean if this is because newcomers complain about the size of the forums then hidden ones don't really matter. I still don't see much point in this. Even if you reduce the size of the main page it isn't going to change the fact that Euro is huge and complex, which is what newcomers are scared off by. That is something that we can't change.

Lethen said:
But that's one of the easiest to knock off the proverbial "To-Do" list since there's realistically no purpose in having them separate. You just said yourself that combining them would not prevent quick access.
Well, I'd prefer to make it as easy as possible for sailors to check in for orders and whatnot. There is some purpose to having them separate rather than say, Naval Recruitment and the CSO.

Notolecta said:
Why are we worried about hidden subforums though? I mean if this is because newcomers complain about the size of the forums then hidden ones don't really matter. I still don't see much point in this. Even if you reduce the size of the main page it isn't going to change the fact that Euro is huge and complex, which is what newcomers are scared off by. That is something that we can't change.
We can at least make it less complex, though.

Considering that the diplomatic offices are of little interest to those who are not diplomats or assigned to various regions, moving the diplomatic offices to FA makes sense to me.

I would combine Office of Citizenship and Diplomats/Foreign Relations into the "Europeian Registration Office" (or similar name), or put them as sub-forums under a single forum.

Combine The Republic Square and the Debate Hall into one, leaving The Republic Square.

Combine the Cultural Hub, Spam Zone, and Roleplay Center into just the Cultural Hub (with sub-forums as needed) Argument can be made for the Well-Being Hub as well but I feel its focus is distinct enough that it doesn't quite fit into the more games or artistic endeavors the rest of the Cultural Hub would hold, but I would not be opposed it to be a sub-section either.

Those changes would result in a major reduction on the Main page and in my opinion, consolidate focus on similar themed topics/threads.

As a side note - I always felt the "Oval Room" was strangely named for its purpose, since we also have the "Oval Office"; it may be some thing worth visiting.

You miss the point Trinn. The Oval Room is the Oval Office. You literally have the hundred or so citizens of the archipelago walk through and vote in the very room that they will choose the occupant of. The SCs used to keep this particular fact a secret (this is why a tunnel was dug from the supposed voting room to the Goldenblock) which is why the "mysterious" epithet remains. It's a sort of open-secret now anyways.

hyanygo said:
You miss the point Trinn. The Oval Room is the Oval Office. You literally have the hundred or so citizens of the archipelago walk through and vote in the very room that they will choose the occupant of. The SCs used to keep this particular fact a secret (this is why a tunnel was dug from the supposed voting room to the Goldenblock) which is why the "mysterious" epithet remains. It's a sort of open-secret now anyways.
Didn't you see the resemblance, Trinn? :ph43r:

hyanygo said:
I can attest to this. Maybe it's a bit RP-heavy, but did you ever read my story "Lethen Portugal"? There's actually a follow-up on the forums somewhere - I forget where, honestly - about the early days of creating the Republic (Bod doesn't make a cameo, sadly) and we have a whole thing in there detailing what Hy said above. I wrote it, so if you want to go look I would check the date range of my posts around when I wrote and posted Lethen Portugal.

Could we somehow merge Citizenship, Newcomer Introduction, Diplomatic Apps, etc., into one forum? (i.e. Citizenship for main forum, and the others as subforums?)

Alternatively, I know that some regions have a single "fill out your cit app in this thread" thread, rather than having each individual new citizen create their own thread. And I know I've gotten plenty of questions from newcomers wondering why the cit app thread won't let them "reply." It might simplify things, but it also make it more difficult to individually welcome new players in their cit app thread - so there are definite trade-offs.

EDIT: I also wish for a "none of the above" answer on the last question on the poll. :p

Alternatively, I know that some regions have a single "fill out your cit app in this thread" thread, rather than having each individual new citizen create their own thread. And I know I've gotten plenty of questions from newcomers wondering why the cit app thread won't let them "reply." It might simplify things, but it also make it more difficult to individually welcome new players in their cit app thread - so there are definite trade-offs.
No way. Full stop. I refuse to process applications if we move them into one giant ugly thread. flail.gif

Lethen said:
No way. Full stop. I refuse to process applications if we move them into one giant ugly thread. flail.gif
From the standpoint of the AG I strongly agree. A single thread would make keeping an eye out for certain criminal things that much harder.

Drecq said:
Lethen said:
From the standpoint of the AG I strongly agree. A single thread would make keeping an eye out for certain criminal things that much harder.
Fair points, so I withdraw the suggestion. Just wanted to make sure it had been considered as an option on some level. :)

Mousebumples said:
Drecq said:
Lethen said:
Fair points, so I withdraw the suggestion. Just wanted to make sure it had been considered as an option on some level. :)
It's a good suggestion, Mouse! So good, that we actually did it that way for several years, before changing to the current system. :lol:

I don't know that political parties need to be on the main page, but I'm not sure if there's a suitable forum for them to sit in. May be best to leave them as they're at the bottom anyway, and ACE is the only one.

Lethen said:
When I tried to get citizenship in TNP, it took the admins thirteen days to get my application processed - and they use one big thread.

Holy Nethel that's ridiculous.

TNP also doesn't have 1 admin that's in charge of cit apps, so I suspect it may have been a case of, "Eh, someone else will handle it."

Back