Forum Reduction Project Survey

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
I assume the Senate would be exempt from the archive removal as well?
No, the Senate is a key example where it isn't really useful.

The Senate is a perfect example of bad archiving. The Senate archive contains a mish-mash of threads that were originally in the Speaker's Office, on the Senate floor, and in the Conference Hall (and possibly elsewhere). By moving the threads to the archive, we merely lose some contextual information. The problem in undoing that now is that someone will have to manually figure out where each thread came from in order to move it back.

Uh... yeah, it definitely is useful. Having a separated area where we can keep older records of everything while keeping the floor clear for only things that are encompassed in the current legislative session is incredibly helpful.

It really isn't. Threads are sorted by date anyway, and the Speaker should be closing threads that are complete anyway. All you need to do to see what threads are still active is start at the top and work down until you hit one that is closed.

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Uh... yeah, it definitely is useful. Having a separated area where we can keep older records of everything while keeping the floor clear for only things that are encompassed in the current legislative session is incredibly helpful.
Why? What do you classify as "older?"

Shouldn't engaged Senators be aware of what is current legislation and what has already been dispensed with? We didn't start archiving the Senate until just a few years ago, and I assure you, the body was just as productive then :p

The Speaker also has a duty to pin all active topics - so that makes it even easier to figure out - anything pinned is active.

I disagree vehemently. I don't want all of the older threads in the main subforum for the Senate, only things relevant to that Senate term's agenda should stay on the floor for that term. If we're going to remove the archive than I would prefer to just throw it into the Speakers Office subforum. I don't want all of those threads on the Senate floor.

But...why?

And MD, I'd assume that we're exempting the Court archives, WA archives, and the EAAC archives (off the top of my head).

I think Seymour and I feel the same here, but I was keeping my mouth shut cause I get what you guys are saying. I think, and I don't mean to speak for Seymour if this isn't the reason, that the neatness is enjoyed. The floor looks "neat". It looks tidy and not like the giant morass of threads all tucked into one forum.

Granted, I know this sense of neatness is all in my head. The CA really isn't nearly as neat as the Senate, and I would be for the...change I suppose...since that would mean...less work all around. Everything's already closed and I can pin important stuff and let it go.

But again, I think the why is because it looks neat, and looking neater can lead to less feelings of being overwhelmed by everything present.

Does the Grand Hall look like a hideous mess to you then? Or the Oval Room? Or 34 Goldenblock? Or the Admin Bureau?

I can keep going :p

That's fine and well.

I do not want unnecessary clutter from past legislative sessions on the floor of the Senate. The only things that should remain on the floor of the Senate are germane subjects and objects to that legislative session. There are 173 pages in the Senate Archives. I would rather just dump that into the Swakistek Conference Hall or the Speaker's Office. Those are equally simple solutions that also eliminate the need for the archives.

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
That's fine and well.

I do not want unnecessary clutter from past legislative sessions on the floor of the Senate. The only things that should remain on the floor of the Senate are germane subjects and objects to that legislative session. There are 173 pages in the Senate Archives. I would rather just dump that into the Swakistek Conference Hall or the Speaker's Office. Those are equally simple solutions that also eliminate the need for the archives.
...that's essentially just making them the archives without calling them that. :ph43r:

As long as nothing important is lost, I'm all for anything that will reduce clutter and stress on the admins. ^_^

Will the archives be available for the public to look at or no?

The question of the temporary archives aside, I would like some input on how to deal with this and this.

I may look into that. We have a lot of great feedback in this thread, I'll talk to the other admins and see what we want to do.

Just a head's up, but we are going to get back to discussing this soon. It's been put on the backburner lately.

Back