ENN Interviews new President

Lethen said:
Plus is it just me, or do Junior Ministers barely check their forums nowadays? I haven't gotten much traffic/comments in the Architects subforum, and I've asked for input on a few things. flail.gif
From my experiences as a Minister, I learned you almost always have to PM your assistants. At least twice. :p

I did that a lot last term. The biggest offender was (and probably still is) Anumia. Can't tell you how many times I left him notes on Skype, PM, and throughout 21 Tomlinson to check things, and he would just ignore them. :p

Lethen said:
I did that a lot last term. The biggest offender was (and probably still is) Anumia. Can't tell you how many times I left him notes on Skype, PM, and throughout 21 Tomlinson to check things, and he would just ignore them. :p
Being President is a busy job! flail.gif

Even when all my postings concerned his baby, the GAP? :emb:

C'mon, Lethen. He's got too many kids and babies all over NS to keep track of all of them. That's what foster parents are for!

Malashaan said:
Regardless of ENN activity, based on the monthly graph HEM posted there would be as least as much justification for asking "Kraken, how do you explain the plummet in activity since you took office, and why haven't you done anything about it?" (Note for clarity: I do not subscribe to this opinion) as there is for stating that activity under Anumia stagnated.

I just don't think you can meaningfully compare post counts from different eras. To the extent that post counts tell us anything at all, they are hugely influenced by a whole range of factors. For example, the use of Skype for discussion of many things that were previously discussed on the forums is popular right now (e.g., the on-forum culture ministry planning forum is hardly used anymore).
Uhm, I absolutely disagree. The Anumia administration saw 7 months of stable, but consistently low activity. Kraketopia has only been in office for a few weeks, there is not anything resembling a trend yet.

The argument that you can't compare post counts for "different eras" is silly. That's like saying you can't compare GDPs from different years because the economy is different. Of course the economy is different, that is part of what GDP is telling you! :p Post count is an indicator of regional health (Note: I saw an (as in, one of many) indicator).

I understand that you have a very natural inclination to project your legacy. The Anumia administration will be remembered as a damn good era, let me promise you that. However, it will also (as all administrations are) be an imperfect Presidency, and I think we as a region can work on ourselves better if we recognize activity as one of those imperfections.

For what it's worth, I disagree with the lower (post-count) activity argument. I checked in on the Statistics page probably every week or so, and had my own derived graphs and such for better viewing to check it in greater (or to be more accurate, magnified) detail. Coming into my term we were on a large downswing in (post-count) activity which stabilised and slowly trended upwards (ignoring the outliers that were the negative-post-day from the accidental forum deletion and the massive jump around the Equilism festival).

There were three key dips I could isolate that each lasted for a few days, and these corresponded specifically with three occasions when I was personally less active, the third and greatest dip being when I was less active due to sickness and simultaneously Mouse was effectively inactive during her vacation. In short, I noted from the dips that whether via self-production or causing response, as President I personally oversaw roughly 200 posts per day, and I can estimate on similar grounds that Mouse personally oversaw roughly 50 posts per day, above the background of everything else.

The latter 2012 period is the most active recorded on our graphs (which began then), but the majority of 2013 was worse than both that period and our 2014 period, with a downward slide commencing about the end of Swakistek's term that continued for the rest of the year, punctuated only by the first half of Cerian's term. There was then a huge (so large as to be unsustainable over the short-term, not to mention many threads had to be revived since not long beforehand had been our two-day forum outage) jump around the election period which saw me returned to the Goldenblock, a natural swing downwards from that point to levels roughly equivalent or slightly higher than the six month trend previous, with modest improvement over the course of my three terms, to where we are today.

This is a trend line I have (very roughly) noted. It should peak a little higher in the Swakistek era, but put that down to my crappy/lazy drawing skills than anything else. :p

So, in conclusion, perhaps we have not fared as well as the late 2012/early 2013 era, but we have fared better than the era immediately succeeding that and preceding my three terms, and there is a modest but hopefully continuing upswing of (post-count) activity.

(and if we translated EuroChat messages - EuroChat beginning a little while before my term but having spent most of its history during my term - into posts, we would be well over 1,000 posts per day :p)

Anumia said:
For what it's worth, I disagree with the lower (post-count) activity argument. I checked in on the Statistics page probably every week or so, and had my own derived graphs and such for better viewing to check it in greater (or to be more accurate, magnified) detail. Coming into my term we were on a large downswing in (post-count) activity which stabilised and slowly trended upwards (ignoring the outliers that were the negative-post-day from the accidental forum deletion and the massive jump around the Equilism festival).

There were three key dips I could isolate that each lasted for a few days, and these corresponded specifically with three occasions when I was personally less active, the third and greatest dip being when I was less active due to sickness and simultaneously Mouse was effectively inactive during her vacation. In short, I noted from the dips that whether via self-production or causing response, as President I personally oversaw roughly 200 posts per day, and I can estimate on similar grounds that Mouse personally oversaw roughly 50 posts per day, above the background of everything else.

The latter 2012 period is the most active recorded on our graphs (which began then), but the majority of 2013 was worse than both that period and our 2014 period, with a downward slide commencing about the end of Swakistek's term that continued for the rest of the year, punctuated only by the first half of Cerian's term. There was then a huge (so large as to be unsustainable over the short-term, not to mention many threads had to be revived since not long beforehand had been our two-day forum outage) jump around the election period which saw me returned to the Goldenblock, a natural swing downwards from that point to levels roughly equivalent or slightly higher than the six month trend previous, with modest improvement over the course of my three terms, to where we are today.

This is a trend line I have (very roughly) noted. It should peak a little higher in the Swakistek era, but put that down to my crappy/lazy drawing skills than anything else. :p

So, in conclusion, perhaps we have not fared as well as the late 2012/early 2013 era, but we have fared better than the era immediately succeeding that and preceding my three terms, and there is a modest but hopefully continuing upswing of (post-count) activity.
^this

If we accept, say, forum post count as an indicator, I think we should also accept EuroChat and #euro.

EuroChat is the Skype group, right?

Yes.

And indeed, if we include EuroChat, then by any metric the past seven months were extremely active :p

Hyanygo said:
If we accept, say, forum post count as an indicator, I think we should also accept EuroChat and #euro.
This was largely what I was getting at when saying you can't compare eras. Activity occurs in different places depending on the norms of the time. For example, when I was Minister of Culture, almost all of the planning was done on-forum - in contrast, Zenny's tenure as MoC has seen the planning forum not be used at all for two months. Given the number and success of events that we've had under Zenny's cultural stewardship, it's clear that a significant amount of planning discussions are on going (I assume via Skype), but none of that shows up in our psot count anymore.

Malashaan said:
Hyanygo said:
This was largely what I was getting at when saying you can't compare eras. Activity occurs in different places depending on the norms of the time. For example, when I was Minister of Culture, almost all of the planning was done on-forum - in contrast, Zenny's tenure as MoC has seen the planning forum not be used at all for two months. Given the number and success of events that we've had under Zenny's cultural stewardship, it's clear that a significant amount of planning discussions are on going (I assume via Skype), but none of that shows up in our psot count anymore.
I agree that this is a factor, but I disagree that it is as large as you think it is. Activity has taken place off site for all of Europeia's existence, and I would argue that that offsite activity has been roughly equivalent over our 7 year history.

Now, I might say that the EuroChat development took a little additional activity off site, but I doubt it represents as large of a gap as you suggest.

In terms of Anumia's suggestion, I have two things to point out:

(1) Fluctuation in posting has far less to do with than he suggests

Here is a graph of the daily posting day-to-day during Anumia's term:

There is some fluctuation -- as there always will be -- but even the high water marks were not *that* high. Until April, posting was a *fairly* steady frequency from day-to-day.

After April, some really funky shit was going on, and I would agree that activity seemed really...weird...

(2) Shouldn't we be concerned if absence of a key individual results in the region slowing down?

If Anumia is correct, shouldn't we be highly concerned that one or two key members leaving results in dramatically lower post counts? Shouldn't that be a structural, fundamental issue that we need to address?

I think part of the issue here is that I am seen to have "cried wolf" a few too many times. There is this sense that crazy uncle HEM only cares about post counts, and is oblivious to the real world. I totally understand that.

I'm not trying to say the sky is falling. Europeia has a strong infrastructure that could help us continue on as a region with even half the post count we do today. We are a truly great region. But I do think this is apart of a story that needs to be told, and efforts to unilaterally dismiss what post count says is misguided, and is just willfully ignoring an important metric of regional health.

HEM said:
I think part of the issue here is that I am seen to have "cried wolf" a few too many times. There is this sense that crazy uncle HEM only cares about post counts, and is oblivious to the real world. I totally understand that.

I'm not trying to say the sky is falling. Europeia has a strong infrastructure that could help us continue on as a region with even half the post count we do today. We are a truly great region. But I do think this is apart of a story that needs to be told, and efforts to unilaterally dismiss what post count says is misguided, and is just willfully ignoring an important metric of regional health.
(2) Shouldn't we be concerned if absence of a key individual results in the region slowing down?

If Anumia is correct, shouldn't we be highly concerned that one or two key members leaving results in dramatically lower post counts? Shouldn't that be a structural, fundamental issue that we need to address?

(I can circle the three points I isolated if you like - I know I was absent for them because I checked immediately after the absences each time)

It stands to reason that the President should be responsible for at least the most significant singular amount of posts, and Mouse as MoI + CA Chairman makes sense as a strong secondary.

For the record, the wild fluctuation in the latter 2012/early 2013 period leads me to believe that it was a singular person also, and whether or not they came online/posted much that day. Huge jumps/dips of up to 200 posts/day were the norm then, whereas the fluctuations are far less these days.

Maybe it was me. :gentleman:

Back