former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - "ENN Interviews President Kraketopia"
Written by HEM Tiberius

HEM: "Thank you for joining us Mr. President. How do you feel you won such a decisive victory?"

Kraketopia: "Well, let me start off by saying that I think Drecq ran a decent campaign and was a great candidate. I don't think this was a vote of me greatly better than Drecq, I think this was a choice from the electorate for a platform that was more creative and a President they know will communicate with them. I also think my choice for VP swayed a lot of voters over Drecq's choice."

HEM: "Over the course of the next term, what is your top priority?"

Kraketopia: "Increasing Europeia's communication networks in a number of ways. And by this I don't just mean the Ministry of Communication, I mean better coordinating our MoFA, better coordinating military activities with allies, having a President more available to the public, and having more cultural events for people to engage each other in. I hope that when this term is done, people will feel like they're closer to their institutions and each other."

HEM: "How do you plan on addressing activity this term? During the tenure of President Anumia we have seen a stagnation of activity at low levels that were previously intolerable. What's your plan?"

Kraketopia: "Quite simply I plan to maintain a strong base of activity myself and ensure my ministers do the same. Those in cabinet who cannot be active will find themselves out of employment quite quickly. Krakens are notorious for their ruthless efficiency.

As for general inactivity, I hope the cultural programs we have planned, as well as greater communication and a more active navy will lead to increased levels of activity. We also hope the Office of Dispatches will get some gameside members onto the forum."

HEM: "Could you explain the Office of Dispatches to our viewers who might not be so familiar with the concept?"

Kraketopia: "As outlined in my platform the Office of Dispatches(OoD) will create dispatches for public consumption as well as review submitted private dispatches for distribution."

HEM: "So, essentially your entire plan for activity (the lifeblood of the region) is to pin more dispatches and force your Cabinet Ministers to be active?"

Kraketopia: "You sound like Cormac trying to misquote me! I also plan to have a more engaged Ministry of Culture(which greatly boosted activity at certain points during the last term) as well as an active and meaningful Navy."

HEM: "I promise that isn't my intention. However, Presidents have been talking about cultural programs and the navy as activity tools since before we elected Prime Ministers on typewriters."

Kraketopia: "Yes, but I believe I'll be the first one to actually do something about it in a long time. I was intimately involved in the Euro-Equilism Festival with Zenny, and I know she has what it takes to do bigger and better things. As for the Navy I'm a Navy man and I'm confident from talking with SD that things will be back on track. This isn't just hot air."

HEM: "Excellent. Could you outline for our viewers some new initiatives that result in an activity creating Navy and more participation in cultural events?"

Kraketopia: "As stated in my platform we will be running a lot of joint operations with allies, which will allow our navy to partake in bigger events. This will allow for greater training, as well as make our sailors feel like they're doing something more than de-tagging. The cultural events will take shape in two forms. Those that are more constant day to day activity oriented, and those that are larger and more in depth, such as the Philosophy Symposium I proposed."

HEM: "We've been going on joint-operations since 2007, and had cultural activities of all sizes since around then too. I'm just curious as to where the new ideas are, and if there are not any, how you are going to improve upon old ideas to create more activity"

Kraketopia: "I can't speak on programs since 2007, since I'm relatively new. But I can speak on what I've seen. Cultural festivals until Zenny really weren't that well done, although SD didn't do a bad job of them. I feel like we now have the chance to have an actual cultural festival. As for the navy, while it was active under Cerian, I believe there were only about two joint operations in two terms(I could be wrong on this though, I wasn't in the navy for some of the first term). I'm talking about regular raids(at least a few a week) with at least one joint operation a week. In the past this simply hasn't been done(during my time here)."

HEM: "And finally, any advise for new members?"

Kraketopia: "Well, practically being a new member myself, I'd say get active and disregard your feelings of being overwhelmed. There are a lot of old, well established members here. But if you put the work in, make friends, and become active, you'll be given a fair shot at promotion in this region. Euro has been a great place to learn how to govern and make friends."

HEM: "Thank you for your time Mr. President."

The above interview with conducted on 5/23/14 right after the election of President Kraketopia. Due to some aging of the interview before publication, questions about the nomination of judges were redacted from the transcript.

Seven Deaths said:
I figured, it still has me as the GA Nomination. xD

Nice interview.
I said the date of the interview at the bottom, so you didn't have to figure! flail.gif

HEM said:
Seven Deaths said:

Nice interview.
I said the date of the interview at the bottom, so you didn't have to figure! flail.gif
You think I read it that closey? :ph43r:

Seven Deaths said:
HEM said:
Seven Deaths said:

Nice interview.
You think I read it that closey? :ph43r:
^ Typical Europeian voter. :ph43r:

:wub:

I would note from the statistics that post count is at worst level during Anumia's presidency compared to preceding months and if anything went up slightly. In other words, the premise of the question was flawed.

Malashaan said:
I would note from the statistics that post count is at worst level during Anumia's presidency compared to preceding months and if anything went up slightly. In other words, the premise of the question was flawed.
That graph doesn't really show a good picture in my opinion. I think a better story is in the numbers. The average post count per month over our entire history is about 6,900. But our average throughout the last few years has been 8000ish. 7000-8000 is a good, active, month. Anything more is great, anything less is not so great. Here's the post counts for the last few months:

April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013

At the start of this year we were overperforming, 10k + months. Throughout the summer we straddled the "new average" (ie 8000). July was kinda meh, but it was a good overall story.

Then we hit SD's disastrous Presidency (coupled with the servers crashing, granted) and we have the terrible month of September. We follow that with a vibrant October, but after that we fail to stabilize at normal levels. We stabilized around the mid 5000s, which is far more reminiscent of our early years than anything I would except in modern Europeia.

Are these the crisis levels we saw during SD's Presidency? No. But they aren't good either, and I'm not going to pretend they are. Post count is an imperfect measure of regional activity, but it is a good barometer for the direction at which we are going. Most of our most prosperous times as a region (i.e. the summer boom of 2009) are preceded or coincide with post count increases. Attempts to completely disregard the post count figure are foolish IMO.

How can you say the graph isn't a good representation and you prefer the numbers? The graph is a visualization of the numbers. The reason people make graphs is because they show trends that are not apparent from the raw numbers, which are notoriously misleading. What all the graphs on the statistics page show are a solid improvement over the whole time Anumia was president - all that despite the fact that the same period saw the explosion in stamp based recruiting.Sure, the past counts are not what they were in 2012 - but due to stamps and other factors our population is half of what it was then. It's a testament to the region's efforts that our post count is in the same ball park as 2012 despite the decline in population.

If we could create a graph showing a moving 30-day average of post counts, with spam threads excluded from the count, that would be illuminating.

My hypothesis is that increases and decreases in spam activity create so much noise in the post count data that the raw data is essentially useless, unless you think spam activity is a meaningful measure of regional health.

I'm inclined to agree with Skizzy. Back in the day AA could easily contribute several hundred posts a month on his own.

Good interview, but for god's sake you aren't European and may have trouble with English, HEM. Advise =/= advice. Get the damn spelling right.

Malashaan said:
How can you say the graph isn't a good representation and you prefer the numbers? The graph is a visualization of the numbers. The reason people make graphs is because they show trends that are not apparent from the raw numbers, which are notoriously misleading. What all the graphs on the statistics page show are a solid improvement over the whole time Anumia was president - all that despite the fact that the same period saw the explosion in stamp based recruiting.Sure, the past counts are not what they were in 2012 - but due to stamps and other factors our population is half of what it was then. It's a testament to the region's efforts that our post count is in the same ball park as 2012 despite the decline in population.
Graphs can't be misleading?

What I really meant was that the graph on the forum is a daily count which is quite a bit more volatile and less helpful than looking at monthly numbers.

When you look at the monthly numbers, I don't see any significant improvement. This is the graph of month-by-month post counts:

I see one month that approaches what used to be considered the average, the rest below average. Sorry, I'm just not seeing this "steady improvement" you claim existed.

From January, each month the post count has gone up as compared to the preceding month. I'm not sure what the last data point in your latest graph is, but based on the previous numbers you posted I assume it's the post count for may up until the time you pulled the numbers, so naturally it will be lower than a full month. I don't see any evidence in these numbers of an activity problem. At worst, when you account for the inherent noise, we're seeing an essentially unchanging average that has persisted over the last 12 months, and the recent month on month improvement is clear in both the raw data and the various visualizations.

Malashaan said:
From January, each month the post count has gone up as compared to the preceding month. I'm not sure what the last data point in your latest graph is, but based on the previous numbers you posted I assume it's the post count for may up until the time you pulled the numbers, so naturally it will be lower than a full month. I don't see any evidence in these numbers of an activity problem. At worst, when you account for the inherent noise, we're seeing an essentially unchanging average that has persisted over the last 12 months, and the recent month on month improvement is clear in both the raw data and the various visualizations.
The last data point is this month, May 2014.

Anumia's term saw a re-stabilization of post counts far lower than has ever been the "norm", and you think that maintaining that status quo is a good thing? We didn't increase post counts every month (decreased the first two) and then the months that saw increases were just a few hundred posts (or less) more. That's not substantive improvement.

I will agree with everyone that post count is an imperfect measure of regional activity, but it does show how the region is "trending" (up, down, or stagnate) and these numbers point to some stagnation.

Back