Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network

Election Aftermath
Written By Donna Moss
Junior ENN Political Analyst

In the last few days the exact consequences of the voter's will have been inscribed upon every governmental branch. As most people should be aware, Falconias won elected to the Goldenblock. While this has sparked some negative reaction from the typical higher ups in friendly reasons, the hyped up backlash from allies did not occur. Since election Falconias proposed his entire Cabinet to the Senate which were all approved with minimal trouble.

The more interesting story is how the Senate turned out. In an extremely close election the Conservatives lost control of the Senate and became a back-benching party despite their Presidential candidate winning by a respectable vote count.

"Falconias didn't carry the kind of coattails he needed to bump some NCPers into the Senate. HEM and Asianatic both got waves of last minute voting and really deprived the NCP of any sort of majority," Professor J. Leno explains. "The real issue is the late undecideds who may have decided to hold their nose and vote for Falconias over the semi-active CSP [toward the end of his campaign] may have still punched their ballots for the veteran members who now control the Senate."

Indeed, all but one of the Independent Faction members could be considered veteran. Common Sense Politics stands out from the bunch as a fairly new face, but having opposed Falconias the previous election he may be less inclined to support NCP proposals. It doesn't help either that one of the NCP's 4 Senators vanished AWOL around the 15th, but somehow managed to carry enough of the vote to get elected. Some are calling this the results of partisan politics -- the NCP voting for any of their members despite their resumes or current situations.

"Something decisive was clearly the Speaker vote." says an aide from Senator HEM's office. "From the start Senator HEM made requests to the NCP that they back a non-NCP members as speaker as a gesture of good faith. His proposal was responded to very coolly by the two NCP members he approached, and he never really got an official response when he asked one of them to pass the message on."

The NCP unsuccessfully backed fellow Senator and Constitutional Drafter Swakistek for the Speaker post but found themselves faltering at the gate when the entire Independent Faction united around former President Asianatic for the post who eventually won the vote in a squeaker decision.

"The question really comes down to," Professor Lion Forrest says, "Is whether the Independent Faction often known as a sporadic and mismanaged group of citizens with totally different ideals will continue to unite and face NCP proposals with deadlock, or if this Senate will be a bipartisan one."

The later of course, would give us much less to report on.

What is this?

It doesn't help either that one of the NCP's 4 Senators vanished AWOL around the 15th, but somehow managed to carry enough of the vote to get elected. Some are calling this the results of partisan politics -- the NCP voting for any of their members despite their resumes or current situations.
Really? Why is it that Draigona and Sopo did not get elected then? Clearly a substantial number of independents voted for Cambover over Drai and Sopo. It has nothing to do with partisan politics, and a lot to do with Cambover being a proven, likable, intelligent candidate.

"Something decisive was clearly the Speaker vote." says an aide from Senator HEM's office. "From the start Senator HEM made requests to the NCP that they back a non-NCP members as speaker as a gesture of good faith. His proposal was responded to very coolly by the two NCP members he approached, and he never really got an official response when he asked one of them to pass the message on."

The NCP unsuccessfully backed fellow Senator and Constitutional Drafter Swakistek for the Speaker post but found themselves faltering at the gate when the entire Independent Faction united around former President Asianatic for the post who eventually won the vote in a squeaker decision.
*snorts* It actually was transmitted to the NCP headquarters, but are you basing these facts off of the fact we didn't decide to go along with the "good faith" bull you're churning out now? The fact of the matter is, you realized that the independent vote could be split between Aurora and Swak and in the mess the NCP could elect their own candidate. Yes, our party voted for Swak, but we also believed him to be the best possible candidate, and that Aurora had been in a position of authority for far, far too long. That's why they voted for Swak, and the implication that we have bad faith by voting for Swak, is appalling. I also point out that Common-Sense Politics didn't vote for himself, isn't that convenient for you? Don't make accusations like that to discredit the NCP.

"The question really comes down to," Professor Lion Forrest says, "Is whether the Independent Faction often known as a sporadic and mismanaged group of citizens with totally different ideals will continue to unite and face NCP proposals with deadlock, or if this Senate will be a bipartisan one."
Come on, this was really forced out, just to spur controversy. Who are you kidding?

Really? Why is it that Draigona and Sopo did not get elected then? Clearly a substantial number of independents voted for Cambover over Drai and Sopo. It has nothing to do with partisan politics, and a lot to do with Cambover being a proven, likable, intelligent candidate.

Cambover was inactive for days before the election. Are you telling me that the fact the NCP came out for him...? And your question is bizarre because the NCP simply doesn't have enough votes for deliver all their candidates to victory.

It was hardly suggested the only reason NCPers win is because NCPers vote for themselves. Obviously quite a few people of all backgrounds and political affiliations cast votes for your Presidential run, but they didn't transfer to the NCP ticket quite the same way.

*snorts* It actually was transmitted to the NCP headquarters, but are you basing these facts off of the fact we didn't decide to go along with the "good faith" bull you're churning out now? The fact of the matter is, you realized that the independent vote could be split between Aurora and Swak and in the mess the NCP could elect their own candidate. Yes, our party voted for Swak, but we also believed him to be the best possible candidate, and that Aurora had been in a position of authority for far, far too long. That's why they voted for Swak, and the implication that we have bad faith by voting for Swak, is appalling. I also point out that Common-Sense Politics didn't vote for himself, isn't that convenient for you? Don't make accusations like that to discredit the NCP.

I made the request long before Aurora's name was in the mix, and actually before I knew Swak's name was in the mix. I was hoping to see a new President endorse the idea of an independent Speaker, and you told me to go to the NCP but you were fairly certain the party would back Swak.

So, I went to one of the only NCPers I find myself friendly with, (Modern Sin) and asked him to pass on the message. I didn't get a response, and neither you nor him seemed to consider the idea...So I think I'm fairly right in my analysis of the exchange being rather "cold".

And I *never* accused you of bad faith. Please don't put words in my mouth. As a matter of fact, I never really delved into -why- you supported Swak, (and I find him a suitable candidate of course), but simply the fact you did. You seem almost overeager to try to find ulterior motives by myself here, where there are none to be found.

I *do* think it's significant the NCP didn't get their handpicked speaker-designate elected, and I certainly think its political news to report such. But I'm hardly accusing you of foul play.

Come on, this was really forced out, just to spur controversy. Who are you kidding?

Again, since when is it a crime to speculate? Maybe the sky with fall? If so, what will we do. And obviously you missed the jovial nature of that line I indicated by the last sentences in the article.

I put myself forward because I believed I was the best person for the job and, no offense, I knew that I could do a better job of not dropping bills than what happened mid to end last term. Just like the NCP seems to wholly trust Swak in all things and automatically expect others to do so, I, and others, trusted me. I enjoy doing administrative like things- and unless my job has drastically changed in a couple of months, that's all Speaker is, which is part of why I went for it.

The fact of the matter is, you realized that the independent vote could be split between Aurora and Swak and in the mess the NCP could elect their own candidate.

I think you mean CSP there. ^_^

This is the first I'd heard of HEM doing this.

And unless you're implying I'm corrupt, the "far, far, far" too long thing doesn't fly any longer, thank you. If that's the case, you've been in NS for far, far, far too long.

I also point out that Common-Sense Politics didn't vote for himself, isn't that convenient for you?
I find it interesting the insinuations you're making there about your own MoFA. Is a shuffle imminent?

And the last paragraph is...well, spot-on. Anybody who thinks that I agree ideologically with Lethen, HEM, Anumia, and CSP is deluding themselves, on quite a large scale. On the other hand, we know the kind of solidarity the NCP has. The question that everybody is already asking themselves is to what extent that partisan lines will be drawn this term.

So, I went to one of the only NCPers I find myself friendly with, (Modern Sin) and asked him to pass on the message. I didn't get a response, and neither you nor him seemed to consider the idea...So I think I'm fairly right in my analysis of the exchange being rather "cold".
Hi. Since you're using my name:

I copied and pasted our MSN convo and put it in the NCP HQ literally seconds after we finished speaking. I've re-pasted it below. Take a nice, long look at my last comment. Oh, and decide for yourselves whether I was being "cold".

HEM says:
Hey

Modern Sin says:
Yo

HEM says:
I want to pass a message along to the NCP honchos through you

Modern Sin says:
OK

HEM says:
It would be looked upon favorably if a NCP majority backed a non-party member for speaker

Modern Sin says:
[/endtransmission] ?

HEM says:
Eh, that's basically it.
If the NCP controls the head of each branch of government...that's dangerous....

Modern Sin says:
Perhaps...well, I'll pass it along.

I made the request long before Aurora's name was in the mix, and actually before I knew Swak's name was in the mix. I was hoping to see a new President endorse the idea of an independent Speaker, and you told me to go to the NCP but you were fairly certain the party would back Swak.

And I *never* accused you of bad faith. Please don't put words in my mouth. As a matter of fact, I never really delved into -why- you supported Swak, (and I find him a suitable candidate of course), but simply the fact you did. You seem almost overeager to try to find ulterior motives by myself here, where there are none to be found.

Well no, of course I wasn't about to endorse an independent Speaker. I am politically closest to those in my party.

We didn't respond coldly, we just refused.

I like how you are painting yourself as the white knight... that's all I have to say.

I will just comment that all that has happened here is that HEM wanted the NCP endorsement for Speaker. Modern Sin passed on this request to the NCP as he promised he would, but most members reacted in the negative to the request and refused, favouring instead myself as our party's endorsed candidate. I don't believe that there was anything 'cool' about our reply; it was merely a democratic decision. Since MS's conversation with you over MSN was clearly friendly, I don't see anything cool there either, and I do not understand what you regard as 'cool' anyway.

After this, my candidacy was rejected after Asianatic secured the entire Independent vote. Regardless of motivations behind the voting of individual people, it was a democratic decision and I accept that. All this means is that the number of people who believed that Asianatic was best for the job was larger than the number of people who believed that I (or CSP, for that matter) was best for the job.

Just to recap, we were quite within our rights to endorse our own Speaker candidate, and to reject HEM's request, just as the decision in the Senate was democratic, regardless of the motivations behind votes cast.

Next, the Senate vote. As a party, we generally aim to further our policies. That is the point of a political party, is it not? To gather people of similar ideologies to further a common purpose. As a result of this, we usually agree with candidates from our own party, and quite often vote for them. Nobody, I repeat NOBODY forces ANYBODY to vote in a certain way; each person's vote is their own, and my party respects that. If we had all voted on a fully NCP ticket, we would have a lot more NCP Senators that we currently do; clearly, some people deviated from the standard ticket, and that is quite acceptable and understandable.

While I am sure it certainly helps candidates to have the backing of our party, being moderately sizable, we generally need some independent votes to get into the Senate. All of our Senators, and indeed the President, got in because of their genuinely good nature, and because people agreed with their policies in preference to the other policies offered by candidates. Nothing more and nothing less.

Funny HEM how ever since you left you feel the need to insinuate how the NCP is striving for 'world power'. What is it with you?

Are you still upset that he NCP didn't support you, when you decided to run for presidency, and appoint your own vice-president, without feeling the need to consult the party first? Are you angry because we were able to build up a party without you involved, after you left? Is it that hard to swallow for you that actually some people can work together (and having fun!) in Europeia successfully without having the need to have you involved? Is your ego that big?

"From the start Senator HEM made requests to the NCP that they back a non-NCP members as speaker as a gesture of good faith.

I know you like to see yourself as a sort of political star maker, but really HEM some people here actually do posses the capacity of making up their own mind and do not need you to tell them what to do.

Though I'm the NCP chairman, I do not wish to be dragged into this mindless argument. All I'll say is that HEM obviously posted this report to kick start a debate about the trustworthiness of the NCP and to stimulate an angry response from us. Well HEM, you appeared to have succeeded, and I don't blame my fellow party members for taking offense from this biased article, but they've fallen into the trap. You've got what you wanted; well done.

Swak said:
I will just comment that all that has happened here is that HEM wanted the NCP endorsement for Speaker. Modern Sin passed on this request to the NCP as he promised he would, but most members reacted in the negative to the request and refused, favouring instead myself as our party's endorsed candidate. I don't believe that there was anything 'cool' about our reply; it was merely a democratic decision. Since MS's conversation with you over MSN was clearly friendly, I don't see anything cool there either, and I do not understand what you regard as 'cool' anyway.

Okay, you stumble out of the starting gate with a blatant lie. I had no desire to be speaker, mainly because I don't think I have the time to keep the floor moving. The real reason I wanted the NCP to endorse a non party member was simply because it is a long standing tradition from my beginnings in LKE to do so, and Europeia has not been in such a partisan atmosphere for...honestly, probably ever. Being divided, I wanted to kick this idea around.

And Swak, when I make a request and *never* hear from it again, I consider that cool. I didn't stay you attacked me, lambasted me, insulted me, what have you. I just said the response to my suggestion was cool. It wasn't negative, but it obviously wasn't positive.

After this, my candidacy was rejected after Asianatic secured the entire Independent vote. Regardless of motivations behind the voting of individual people, it was a democratic decision and I accept that. All this means is that the number of people who believed that Asianatic was best for the job was larger than the number of people who believed that I (or CSP, for that matter) was best for the job.

Nobody is disputing that.

Just to recap, we were quite within our rights to endorse our own Speaker candidate, and to reject HEM's request, just as the decision in the Senate was democratic, regardless of the motivations behind votes cast.

Nobody is disputing that.

Next, the Senate vote. As a party, we generally aim to further our policies. That is the point of a political party, is it not? To gather people of similar ideologies to further a common purpose. As a result of this, we usually agree with candidates from our own party, and quite often vote for them. Nobody, I repeat NOBODY forces ANYBODY to vote in a certain way; each person's vote is their own, and my party respects that. If we had all voted on a fully NCP ticket, we would have a lot more NCP Senators that we currently do; clearly, some people deviated from the standard ticket, and that is quite acceptable and understandable

I'm tempted to just ditto myself...but frankly, this was hardly what I was suggesting. There is nothing wrong with the media breaking down the intentions and ideas of political parties. This articles accuses nobody of strong-arming etc etc. It's simply breaking down the results with some analysis.

While I am sure it certainly helps candidates to have the backing of our party, being moderately sizable, we generally need some independent votes to get into the Senate. All of our Senators, and indeed the President, got in because of their genuinely good nature, and because people agreed with their policies in preference to the other policies offered by candidates. Nothing more and nothing less.

Frankly, I couldn't agree more.

Falconias said:
I like how you are painting yourself as the white knight... that's all I have to say.

...Again, this is an article summing up the political atmosphere in Europeia. Obviously I wrote it exclusively, so obviously it is of *my* take and not the NCP's. But I find it somewhat disturbing that I am being lambasted for simply broadcasting my opinions...I hardly attacked NCP in this article, I just honestly gave my thoughts on matters.

But rest assured, the NCP Calvary is here to ensure that nobody walks away with the impression that they dare plan or coordinate anything. :rolleyes:

Modern Sin said:
I copied and pasted our MSN convo and put it in the NCP HQ literally seconds after we finished speaking. I've re-pasted it below. Take a nice, long look at my last comment. Oh, and decide for yourselves whether I was being "cold".

Yes, MS that convo was fairly 'cool' (Please don't mince my words about like garlic). but even that is was very much the request as a whole that was reacted coolly toward. Which again, I stand by.

Also, to reiterate. How did such a comment become scandalous? It is really a crime to say I proposed an idea, and the NCP reacted coolly? Is it really a crime if I proposed legislation, you all didn't like it, and I reported you reacted "coolly?" Frankly, this aggressive response is just plain bizarre.

Carracalla said:
Funny HEM how ever since you left you feel the need to insinuate how the NCP is striving for 'world power'. What is it with you?

Please name one please in this article I said that. Or alternatively, name one place I have ever said that.

Are you still upset that he NCP didn't support you, when you decided to run for presidency, and appoint your own vice-president, without feeling the need to consult the party first? Are you angry because we were able to build up a party without you involved, after you left? Is it that hard to swallow for you that actually some people can work together (and having fun!) in Europeia successfully without having the need to have you involved? Is your ego that big?

Please take a step down from your pedestal. Of all the things I have been apart of in Nationstates and worked for, and built up, (Of course, Europeia as a whole being my largest accomplishment) the NCP really couldn't be farther from my mind. Of all the screw ups I have made, the mistakes I made regarding the NCP couldn't be more insignificant. And the funny thing is, lately I have been pretty good about fixing my mistakes.

I really don't care about the NCP. Although I find myself much more keen to Independence I recognize the importance of political parties and hope that they can be maintained without this sort of 'deep end' mentality.

So no, I really don't think of the NCP that much. Originally Falconias was the reason I was opposed to ya'll...but I did vote for him, so you should assume that such fears have been diminished. Before today I really had no beef with the NCP at all. I consider you all intelligent, fair and brilliant members. Particularly Swak who has really advanced. You all are the future of Europeia and I have much more faith in you then you think :)

I know you like to see yourself as a sort of political star maker, but really HEM some people here actually do posses the capacity of making up their own mind and do not need you to tell them what to do.

I don't disagree with anything you said above. But at the same time don't I have a right to kick around my ideas? Don't I have the basic rights of a citizen to hold opinions and express them? Nothing irritates me more than getting on here, and every-time I try to give my piece I am attacked for trying to 'interfere'.

Though I'm the NCP chairman, I do not wish to be dragged into this mindless argument. All I'll say is that HEM obviously posted this report to kick start a debate about the trustworthiness of the NCP and to stimulate an angry response from us. Well HEM, you appeared to have succeeded, and I don't blame my fellow party members for taking offense from this biased article, but they've fallen into the trap. You've got what you wanted; well done.

...This...I really can't intelligently respond to without acting rashly and making myself look like a fool. All I can say is that this was a political article, and I tried to give my take and I fail to spot anything crazy controversial.

Frankly guys, I just read through my entire article and I don't find anything at all that is...controversial...I said the word partisan politics, which is important for any democracy to have and I said your reaction is 'cool'.

Perhaps you failed to note I also completely lambasted those who said Falconias being elected would mean problems with our allies (in the first paragraph). My goal was to try to sum up the dynamic political atmosphere in Europeia (and yes, including party politics) and instead I get the entire political atmosphere in this thread :mellow:

To anyone who thinks that reviewing the election, why people were elected, the NCP acting "coolly" to a request, and how the Speaker was elected are trying to incite arguments...I will now gladly care less.

There is nothing wrong with the media breaking down the intentions and ideas of political parties.
In all honesty, HEM, who are you kidding here? This isn't the "media," so don't paint it as such. It's as much your opinion as it could be anyone else's. This isn't the analysis from some brain trust, so when you try to paint the ENN as a media outlet and then come out with tainted views that suggest we responded coolly to your offer or that we are some exclusive brain trust that wants to whore every inch of power, this is the kind of response you are going to get. You're the founder. You can't come out with these kinds of articles and then encourage people to try their hand in the politics here, it discourages people from starting new ideas and projects that might go against your views.

In all honesty, HEM, who are you kidding here? This isn't the "media," so don't paint it as such. It's as much your opinion as it could be anyone else's

Did I ever disagree with that?

This isn't the analysis from some brain trust, so when you try to paint the ENN as a media outlet and then come out with tainted views that suggest we responded coolly to your offer or that we are some exclusive brain trust that wants to whore every inch of power, this is the kind of response you are going to get.

*rolls eyes*

Again, please point to exactly what is so controversial. Yes, this is based on my opinion. This has never been disagreed with.

But firstly, again with the 'coolly' nonsense. Who honestly cares? I think the reaction was cool because it wasn't responded to. But what does it matter? If I publish an article saying 'NCP reaction to HEM's legislation was cool' is it some sort of crime? That was *my* take on how you reacted and I don't think that take was pulled out of some dark orifice.

And again, I challenge you to find anywhere I try to suggest that you want to 'whore power.' Anywhere recently. Have I been wary? Yes. Have I had concerns? Yes. But I have hardly made blanket statements, and I believe in Europeia I can hold opinions...which fades nicely into your next point.

You're the founder. You can't come out with these kinds of articles and then encourage people to try their hand in the politics here, it discourages people from starting new ideas and projects that might go against your views.

But I repeat myself, I grow weary of being attacked for presenting my opinion.

1.) This wasn't some uber negative article where I went *slam slam*, this was a fairly objective piece. Was there some bias? Yeah there was, and I would be fully willing to hire a NCP affiliated cowriter to help me write some of the commentary to balance that.

2.) But I also have the full right to express my opinions and thoughts and have the right as anyone else to throw them out there. If I think the NCP acted "coolly" or "rashly" or "bizarrely" or "pumpkin-pie eatingly" I think I can come out and say that through this paper, through a speech, or a choreographed interpretive dance I have that right. It seems whenever I say anything, no matter how trivial, it is big news and has some sort of underlining ulterior motive.

Please leave me out of your bickering and conspiracy theories.

I am an independent and I owe my vote to no one but myself and those I represent. I am not a member of an anti-NCP party. I find it laughable that two months ago, I was considered a de-facto NCP member and when winds change I am all of a sudden a member of some conspiracy to thwart the NCP. I am an independent, period, end of story. That will not change.

I have friends within the NCP and I have friends elsewhere. I look at them all the same. So, please, if anyone wishes to use my name in such a manner in the future...don't.

On a happier note, I'm buying an Xbox360! Bye bye ancient PS2!!!

For Pete's sake, it's called speculation. Will politician do x or y? It's debating over what might happen. Turn on The Devil's GameN, it happens constantly. :rolleyes:

Back