EBC Mid-Term Survey

Mid-Term Survey!

Here we are, a month into the term, and it's time for everyone's favorite government media to give you a voice! Take the Mid-Term Survey (click) and give us your opinion!

The survey will stay open for approximately 72 hours, at which time the results will be analyzed by myself, and maybe a crack panel of mystery experts, if you're lucky.

Click the link above and get your voice heard! Go EBC!​

Sorry Europeia, you didn't get lucky. There is no crack panel of experts, but you've got me, your handy dandy EBC Director to show you the results and break it down for you.

Here it comes...The survey you've waited for all your life... Maybe just a month... It's... It's... It's.......

The EBC Mid-Term Survey Results Extravaganzathon!

So here we are, Europeia, a month into the term. Just like a mirror with a light shined on it, it's time to reflect. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "ouch", and it is in that spirit that today we analyze the results of the poll. We will go through each branch of government and provide insight into the ratings of the region's top policymakers and the political landscape for the future. Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.​

The Executive

Question 1: How would you rate the overall performance of the Sopo Administration thus far?

The mean rating was 65.636%
The median rating was the 60-69 category.
The mode rating was a three way tie between 50-59, 60-69, and 70-79.

Historically, these are strong job approval ratings, although when compared to Skizzy's administration's last term, one can't help but notice a significant drop off. There was a wide spread of answers, so there seem to be mixed feelings at play here, but one can take a general consensus that people are satisfied, if not thrilled, with this administration. The word content comes to mind.

Question 2: How would you rate the overall performance of the Cabinet Ministers?

The Newcomers

Many seemed confused on what to say for Grand Admiral Notolecta and Interior Minister Remsol. The newly appointed members of the Cabinet received a wide range of scores, so these approval numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Grand Admiral Notolecta
Mean- 46.8%
Median- 40-49
Mode- 0-10 (5 responses)

Minister of the Interior Remsol
Mean- 63.65%
Median- 60-69
Mode- 70-79 (5 responses)

Clearly there is some underlying optimism about these newer members of the Cabinet, and also some confusion as to how to rate someone who just took over the job.

The Others

Minister of Foreign Affairs Rachel Anumia
Mean- 64.42%
Median- 60-69
Mode- 60-69 (6 responses)

Rachel Anumia is a steady hand at any post in government, and her stable ratings reflect that. She polls at about the same level as the administration as a whole.

Attorney General Hyanygo
Mean- 73.978%
Median- 70-79
Mode- tie between 70-79, 80-89, and 90-100 (5 responses each)

The oft-underappreciated post of Attorney General seems to be getting some love with Hyanygo, one of the region's best and brightest. He scores high in this survey, especially in comparison to the rest of the Cabinet. One might say Hyanygo is getting his due recognition.

Culture Minister Lethen
Mean- 80.723%
Median- 80-89
Mode- 90-100 (7 responses)

The MVP of the Cabinet is Lethen. People can't seem to get enough of our beloved Culture Minister and future Supreme Chancellor. The mode response for his job as Culture Minister is the highest possible, and with good reason. Despite being personally popular, it is his driving work ethic for culture that puts these numbers where they are.

What you had to say about: The Cabinet
Too early to tell with Remsol, but a good start

I gave Noto and Remsol 0-10 because there was no *Not applicable" bracket. We haven't seen too much of them. Rachel hasn't pushed the ATA. So she's slightly lower than everyone else on 60-69. Lethen has been busting his ass and getting nowhere through no fault of his own. People just aren't willing to do stuff. There's only so much a Minister can do. I feel Lethen deserves 80-89. Hyanygo has been good in his relations with the Senate, he's made the AG position his own.

Lethen is the only one doing s--t.

No poll for VP?

Hyanygo does an amazing amount of work that he often doesn't get credit for.

Noto and Remsol were just appointed and thus have not done enough to merit an actual ranking.

Question 3: How effective has Executive policy been in the following areas?

In most cases, the popularity of the Minister matched up with their corresponding area of policy. Again, people seem just content with a lot of the policy they're seeing from this administration.

Navy
Median- Somewhat Ineffective
Mode- Somewhat Ineffective (6 responses)

Foreign Affairs
Median- Somewhat Effective
Mode- Neutral (5 responses)

Culture
Median- Effective
Mode- Very Effective (7 responses)

Interior
Median- Neutral
Mode- Neutral (5 responses)

Legislative Affairs
Mode- Effective (7 responses)

Communication/Transparency
Mode- Somewhat Effective (8 responses)

What you had to say about: The Executive Branch
Trustworthy and hard-working

There have been no Europeian-led Navy missions since President Sopo took office, Foreign Affairs seem to have stagnated and recruitment is down. Culture seems to be going well but one can't help but think that has more to do with the Minister of Culture than with the President given the stagnation elsewhere.

A lack of willing qualified candidates has weighed down the administration greatly.

Solid performance. We cannot hold the Executive accountable when the people refuse to get involved in some areas.

Have we noticed a theme? People seem satisfied with President Sopo, but not necessarily with the activity level of the entire region. Were he to be at the helm of a region where people were flocking to leadership posts, we may see some more positive numbers, but for now it appears that most are neutral on the Sopo administration. While those aren't bad numbers, having a populace cool on a President is dangerous during the summer months.

The Legislative

Question 5: How would you rate the overall performance of the Senate thus far?

The mean rating was 75.938%
The median rating was 70-79.
The mode rating was 80-89, with six responses.

These are pretty high numbers, but should be taken with a grain of salt. A constant refrain of these results are that this is a Senate that's still finding its sea legs. This is a fact underscored by the 23.8% of people who voted "too soon" to rate the Senate. That's an important statistic as we look at these results.

Question 6: How would you rate the overall performance of the Senators thus far?

Senator Lethen
Mean- 86.8%
Median- 80-89

Clearly not only is Lethen a popular Culture Minister, but a very popular Senator. While we shall soon see that these ratings are somewhat typical of this Senate still high on fumes, Lethen has exceptional approval ratings and has most definitely earned them.

Senator McEntire
Mean- 84.35%
Median- 80-89

McEntire's ratings are very similar to Lethen's and typical of a Senator in this Senate. He is extremely handsome and well-rounded and likes margherita pizza and long walks on short piers.

Senator Seven Deaths
Mean- 78.2%
Median- 70-79
Mode- 4-way tie between the top four

While Seven Death's ratings are slightly lower, the difference is not substantial and is probably simply due to his relative inexperience. Still, for a freshman Senator these types of ratings are through the roof and indicative of his popularity.

Senator Notolecta
Mean- 66.15%
Median- 60-69
Mode- tie between 60-69 and 70-79

Notolecta's scores are lower than the rest of the Senate's, which may be due to a number of things. As a lower key member, he doesn't jump out at people as much, and also has a history of not polling well for whatever reason. Regardless, his poll numbers are still solid, although they're not as dazzling as the rest of the Senate.

Speaker Malashaan
Mean- 87.45%
Median- 80-89
Mode- 90-100 with 9 (!) responses

Malashaan claims the top spot in popularity among Senators with almost half of those who took the survey giving him a 90-100 rating. His stellar poll numbers weathered and probably got better through the recall. The Speaker is probably the hardest worker in the Senate, and these numbers are the proof in the pudding.

What you had to say about: The Senate
Average Senate is average.

They have all been stunningly active, smart, and the Noto fella is studly

I think it is difficult to be able to give a solid ranking thus far when this Senate was just elected. The only exception being those who were Senators before the referenda.

Question 7: The referendum and recall was...

What you had to say about: The Recall
who knows...

I think the resulting Senate is better than the previous, but not worth the alienation that occurred

Unsure so far.

It seems that while Europeians think that the Senate turned out better after the recall, they don't know if it was worth it. Overwhelmingly the public has said that this was good for the Senate, and yet the comments here and below seem to go against that grain. That may be because there are honest mixed feelings, or it could be another occurance of the phenomenon we saw during the referendum, where there was a large silent majority voting in favor of the initiative even though most public voices seemed to be against it. Interesting either way.

Question 8: How would you rate the overall performance of the City Council?

The mean score is 76.362%
The median score is 70-79.
The mode is a tie between 50-59 and 70-79 (6 responses)

It seems that people are satisfied with the City Council under the tutelage of Mayor Rachel Anumia. These are some of the highest numbers the Council has gotten on a public survey, so Mayor Anumia is to be commended for her efforts. While obviously the City Council could always be more active and effective, it has been moreso lately, delivering several bills to the Senate floor, including the just-passed repeal of the University Act. There are questions whether it will keep it up, but it seems as though this part of the Legislature is thriving as well.

Question 9: What is your overall view of the legislative branch?

What you had to say about: The Legislative Branch
Productive, but could still use improvments.

The recall was premature and unnecessarily alienated at least two of Europeia's most active citizens. The electorate's dissatisfaction would probably have been more appropriately aimed at the Executive.

The Senate had been much better on activity than the last few senates, but it did just get elected less than two weeks ago, so we can only hope it will keep up and not be just an early boom.

Good things are coming

I think the Senate really needs to focus on what its future will be. In all my time here, a referendum has never happened on the Senate and it should never happen again. There needs to be long term planning and goals.

So much as with everything, feelings are mixed on the legislative branch, but after several lackluster terms there appears to be a measure of optimism at least. While it may be wary optimism, there is hope for the future. Lessons to be learned from this survey: the wounds of the recall are not yet fully healed, even though the overwhelming opinion may be that the Senate is better for it. There needs to be a long-term committment to activity from this Senate and aplan going forward. This boomlet of activity isn't enough and must be maintained throughout the term and hopefully into the future.

The Judiciary

Question 10: How would you rate the overall performance of the Judiciary thus far?

The mean score is 76.211%
The median score is 70-79.
The mode score is 60-69 (5 responses)

What you had to say about: The Judiciary
I highly respect the Judicial Branch in general, but I disagree strongly with the recent advisory opinion regarding the continuity of the speakership.

Unproductive, and quite boring.

It's been solid, but there isn't really much to expect.

As usual with polls on the Judiciary, people rate it high but aren't 100% sure what exactly they're rating. The speakership continuity issue is one that's been raised elsewhere, so could be causing some issues within the public sphere in opinions on the court, but it seems to be holding up. The numbers are strong, and even if people don't know what they're doing, they like they way they do it.

Final Overview

In the grand scheme of things, we see a resounding theme: skepticism. While Europeians are always skeptical, it seems overly so at this point, expressing a lot of angst and criticism that we frankly haven't seen elsewhere. Although the Executive had slightly-better-than-lukewarm poll numbers, the comments about it were downright cold. Even the Senate, which has unrealistically high approval ratings, also got dressed down in the comments. It makes me wonder where the people are with these criticisms.

Frankly, it makes me wonder why these people aren't helping. We seem to have hit summer doldrums, and while we have optimism for the future and high points of the government working very hard and churning out success, we need a full body effort to keep Europeia great. We're not at a point where we're fighting for survival, we're fighting for prestige, and unless we can have a solid community effort to come together and volunteer, we won't keep making advancements domestically and on the world stage.

So the EBC encourages you to get out there and go apply as a JM. It really doesn't take a lot of time and clearly you don't have anything else to do if you've read this entire post. Go to the City Council when you have a crazy idea for a law you've always wanted to see or a reform you want to be on the Senate floor. Heck, start a newspaper and compete with the EBC. Take a few minutes to recruit, it can go a long way. Take the time to make this region great and you can get so much more out of it than just complaining in the comments section of surveys.

Until then, the government appears to be in good standing with the citizenry. Keep tuning in to the EBC to see this and other extremely interesting reports.

Remember, the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation: Because It's Important.​

Brilliantly laid out and, well, yeah.... your analysis is pretty much spot on. I think we problem we've had recently is stuff going on but people not really getting involved.

Hopefully something we won't see last much longer. I'd def' agree that Navy has been the weakest area but, after CSP resigned, Notolecta's been moving home or doing something that restricts his internet access. As soon as that's back up... I'm sure we'll be up and running in no time at all!

Very interesting read. I can't emphasize enough how much people need to get involved. It's a problem that we've never faced before (on this scale).

Great work, Mac.

I have in fact been having computer issues, so my access has been sporadic. As such I understand lower senate raters, besides the fact that people tend to hate on me in the first place. As for my ratings as GA vs remsols ratings. That is an obvious case of me just being hated since we have been in our positions for relatively the same amount of time. It also doesn't help that the last time I was GA it was a bombshell, but mainly because I had no navy to work with; however, few seem to respect how much the success of the navy is out of the GA's hands.

Also, who on earth called me studly. That is just about the creepiest and weirdest thing I have seen in a poll comment. I assume it was a mistake.

Notolecta said:
Also, who on earth called me studly. That is just about the creepiest and weirdest thing I have seen in a poll comment. I assume it was a mistake.

Maybe it wasn't......

:creepy:

I assumed it was you as a joke! :lol:

however, few seem to respect how much the success of the navy is out of the GA's hands.
This is totally and completely false. All of the success of the Navy is in the GA's hands.
Why is that? Why is it okay for the Culture Ministry to put together a lot and have little activity as a result yet when the Navy faces the same problem, its the fault of the Grand Admiral? I can't force people to get involved, and neither can Notolecta with the additional constraints put on members of the Navy.

however, few seem to respect how much the success of the navy is out of the GA's hands.
This is totally and completely false. All of the success of the Navy is in the GA's hands.
Why is that? Why is it okay for the Culture Ministry to put together a lot and have little activity as a result yet when the Navy faces the same problem, its the fault of the Grand Admiral? I can't force people to get involved, and neither can Notolecta with the additional constraints put on members of the Navy.
The reason appollo won't admit it is because it takes away some of his ego. He wants to think that he was such a better GA then multiple past ones and that the state of the navy was all his doing, which simply isn't true. As you stated the Navy is at the whim of the populace. Their contributions are what matter.

The reason appollo won't admit it is because it takes away some of his ego. He wants to think that he was such a better GA then multiple past ones and that the state of the navy was all his doing, which simply isn't true. As you stated the Navy is at the whim of the populace. Their contributions are what matter.
He likes to do that when he talks about the Interior Ministry too.

First, It's "Apollo" not "appollo." Second, when you're comparing things, you use "than" not "then."

You know, I don't "want to think" I know that the Navy was so much better under me because we had 4 allied raids and 7 independent raids in two months, when we had barely two or three under you. I think you need to get over the fact I'm just better than you are.

Uh-oh, cat fight. :eek:rly:

The EBC may be in need of activity, but we will not turn into the Maury Povich show.

Back