Christmas banner

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities

Christianity is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in canonical gospels and other New Testament writings

A Christian is a person who adheres to Christianity, an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as recorded in the Canonical gospels and the letters of the New Testament. "Christian" derives from the Koine Greek word Christ, a translation of the Biblical Hebrew term Messiah.

Wikipedia <3

I'm a confirmed Catholic, but I didn't want to be. I did it for my own reasons, well, my mother's reasons, but looking back I respect her reasoning.

Even though I've been confirmed, I am still Atheist.

No no no.

You can't be a Catholic and an Atheist. Those are way too conflicting. You're one or the other. Or neither of course.

I'm a confirmed Catholic, but I didn't want to be. I did it for my own reasons, well, my mother's reasons, but looking back I respect her reasoning.

Even though I've been confirmed, I am still Atheist.
The conclusions you arrive at yourself on these types of matters are usually the best. :) I have a similar story, but we should probably stop mucking up this admin thread. It would make a good Republic Square topic, I'm sure.

No no no.

You can't be a Catholic and an Atheist. Those are way too conflicting. You're  one or the other. Or neither of course.
He is an atheist, but by the catholic church's count he is still a catholic. One has to actually get excommunicated to no longer be a catholic and being an atheist doesn't even meet the requirements to get one excommunicated. He is a catholic and an atheist, as am I and many other individuals who were baptized catholic.

No no no.

You can't be a Catholic and an Atheist. Those are way too conflicting. You're  one or the other. Or neither of course.
He is an atheist, but by the catholic church's count he is still a catholic. One has to actually get excommunicated to no longer be a catholic and being an atheist doesn't even meet the requirements to get one excommunicated. He is a catholic and an atheist, as am I and many other individuals who were baptized catholic.
As am I.

I ate some latkes with pork chops while Madonna played on the radio.

So I probably broke several religious, dietary, and noise laws.

(Also, count me as a baptized Catholic with no real religious participation. And also in favor of a generic holiday banner.)

No no no.

Excommunication =/= expulsion. You can't get kicked out of the Catholic Church.

And about your spew about the Catholic Church's inflated numbers, just call the parish you were last a member of and tell them you left the Church. You'll stop being counted.

He is right. Excommunication is not equal to being thrown out of the Church. It is supposed to be a teaching tool to get those who have strayed back on the path. According to Catholic dogma, once you have been baptised, for better or for worse, you are catholic. I am an Atheist, but I am still a Catholic. The correct term is lapsed catholic.

"Baptism seals the Christian with the indelible spiritual mark of his belonging to Christ. No sin can erase this mark, even if sin prevents Baptism from bearing the fruits of salvation."

He is right. Excommunication is not equal to being thrown out of the Church. It is supposed to be a teaching tool to get those who have strayed back on the path. According to Catholic dogma, once you have been baptised, for better or for worse, you are catholic. I am an Atheist, but I am still a Catholic. The correct term is lapsed catholic.

"Baptism seals the Christian with the indelible spiritual mark of his belonging to Christ. No sin can erase this mark, even if sin prevents Baptism from bearing the fruits of salvation."
Yes, while it's true that the grace received from Baptism is permanent, the membership totals are drawn from the parish registration numbers. If you tell the parish that counts you as a member to stop counting you, they will.

You'd still technically be Catholic, but you would no longer be counted as an official Church member.

In the US maybe. It is a little harder here in Germany. After all, we pay a church tax (% of income). To leave a church here (at least in the Sate I grew up in, other States might have slightly different rules), you have to be over 14, declare that you are leaving the Church at your local Courthouse, and pay a fee (lowest in Bremen with 5 Euros, highest in Bavaria with a possible fee of 60 Euros.).

My birthday is on Christmas. I think the banner should be dedicated to me. :ph43r:

Oh! You can add me then if you like :)

Very well. SD is more real than our current banner, so, up with him!

What about some lovely falling snow in a sea of blue with our normal logo, snow accumulating on top and below "wishes you the happiest of holiday seasons". It looks sexy in my brain.

Back