[At Home in Europeia] A Modest Ornithological Proposal - Volume 6

A Modest Ornithological Proposal - Volume 6
Opinion of

Lloenflys

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away a young (!?!) man named Lloenflys bravely carried out ornithological research and bestowed the blessings of his findings upon his fellow citizens in Europeia, that they too may share in the glorious joy of birding. For more than two long years we have all waited patiently for more, only to get nothing more than an occasional tease. Even throughout his presidency, the rogue, the scoundrel, the scallywag dodged his primary responsibility – to add another chapter to the saga. Despair and despondency began to set in … as well as a healthy stab of doubt that any more verses would ever be added to the majestic song that is a Modest Ornithological Proposal. But then … a light shone in the darkness … and suddenly, defying all expectations, when all hope was lost … it arrived ..

[Cue Star Wars Main Theme … seriously, you should go play it right now. It’s triumphant. I’m not going to embed it here because that’s probably some kind of copyright violation. I have very fancy lawyers who told me that. I believe them. So, ya know, go play it. Yourself. And think about how triumphant it is and get yourself good and psyched up. Are you ready? Are you sure? Really? Ok then, here we go …]

(10/8/2023 – Arnhelm Ornithological Center) – I’m baaaaaack! Time and time again I have been begged for birbings over the past 2 years, and always I would say “yes, yes, I’m working on them but there’s this other thing I need to finish!”. In fact earlier this year I had drawn up a list and was ready to go … only to get distracted and to lose what I felt was a good moment. And then I had a Presidency and a busy summer and it just … slipped away from me. But there’s no time like the present to catch up with tasks that are falling behind, and I’m thrilled to present to all now the newest additions to the list! Enjoy! And if you don’t, blame Sopo!

1696799895418.png

1.) The Icarian Jay – formerly the Eurasian Jay (in honor of Icarus)

I have been promising Icarus that I would grant her a birbing for absolutely ages. You would think I would have fulfilled this promise during her presidency, but … remember, I’m a rogue and a scoundrel, and sadly it did not happen! I am here to right that wrong by bestowing a truly majestic bird on our former leader. First off, Icarus has had a strong association with the ERN, and I find it fitting that the Eurasian Jay sports beautiful blue epaulettes denoting its rank as a leader of the birb militarily. Second, I think this bird sports an absolutely stunning look, something very different from what many other birds display. Similarly, our Icarus is uniquely talented with a combination of skills it is rare to see in other Europeians. Finally, like all Jays, the Eurasian Jay is known for intelligence and curiosity – two more traits I associate with Icarus. I was truly pleased when I decided on this bird for Icarus, and think it is very suitable!

1696799908824.png

2.) The Vorhawk – formerly the Eurasian Goshawk (in honor of Vor)

Fierce. Dangerous. Territorial. Sarcastic as all hell. These things are perfect descriptors of the Eurasian Goshawk … and of our Grand Admiral. Don’t get in a verbal spat with a Goshawk OR with Vor … you’ll come away on the losing side of the exchange. The Goshawk shows no fear, and hunts damn near anything it can carry off when the battle is done. Look at those talons! Look at that beak! Vor, too, challenges anyone that threatens him … either in battle with the ERN, or in one of his innumerable gamer battles. Challenge him at your own risk!

1696799922272.png

3.) The Not-So-Common Otterbird – formerly the Common Loon (in honor of Gem)

We all know that Gem identifies strongly as an otter, and I fully understand … but I don’t think Gem is going to mind being birbed as a Common Loon. The only other person on NS that I’ve encountered who is as fiercely statriotic as I am is Gem, and we are of course both Minnesotans (coincidence? I think not!). For that reason alone, assigning Gem the state bird of Minnesota was the only really logical choice I could make. Minnesotans love Loons, and identifying someone with one is a sign of extreme respect – which I most definitely feel for my fellow Minnesotan. But even further, Loons make a cry that is instantly recognizable, one that can be a melancholy, but more commonly is deeply philosophical, introspective, and wise … and Gem certainly can be described by those three terms. So Gem, if you feel like a break from being an Otter … now you’ve got a comfortable alternative!

1696799967153.png

4.) The Great Horned Kazaman – formerly the Great Horned Owl (in honor of Kazaman)

Always watching, always lurking in the shadows, always blending into the background and waiting quietly for trouble and well equipped to deal with it when it appears. The Great Horned Owl is a silent killer, swooping through the night and making short work of any prey foolish enough to wander through its territory. Like his namesake bird, Kaz is always vigilant, always watching for trouble that would dare challenge the region. Further, owls are historically used to represent wisdom and knowledge … and Kazaman has both in spades, serving as an essential advisor to numerous Presidents throughout our history. The Great Horned Owl is an excellent representation of who Kazaman is, and what he represents, in Europeia.

1696799996969.png

5.) The Manx Rainbow – formerly the Northern Lapwing (in honor of Elio)

This magnificent Northern Lapwing fits Elio brilliantly, from the superficial (look at that glorious rainbow coloration, matching Elio’s Discord PFP!) to the significantly deeper (the Lapwing is widely viewed as being the bird mentioned in Ovid’s Metamorphoses, a book that covered a wide, wide range of metamorphoses. I’m particularly proud of Elio for having metamorphosed from a relative newcomer to the region, to a brilliant Senator, and then into nothing less than the Senate Speaker. If you want to read even more into the connection, there are plenty of other reasons I find it apropos. The bottom line is that Elio has burst onto the scene and demonstrated a great deal of skill and value for the region, and I’m thrilled to offer up a bird that I think beautifully fits!

1696800032529.png

6.) The McWeaver – formerly the Golden Palm Weaver (in honor of McEntire)

When I think about McEntire, I think of someone who perseveres through challenging conditions and sticks to a position, fighting for her beliefs. I wanted to capture this quality when finding a bird to represent McEntire, and the weaverbirds seemed to be an excellent choice. Weaver birds are the master artists of the bird world, constructing magnificent nests (some species construct massive, elaborate communal homes while others stick to single family structures) with precision and care. Often, there are interruptions – the weather may not cooperate. Other birds may interfere. Predators may even wreak havoc on occasion. Nonetheless, the weaver birds persevere, pushing forward until they complete their task. McEntire, too, perseveres. When she believes in something she fights for it – it’s an incredibly admirable quality, even if you don’t always agree with the underlying issue, and I admire her greatly for it. I am proud to bestow this birbing on such a dedicated and committed member of our community.

So there we are! In putting this list together, I realized that there are a *lot* of people in this region who are very, very deserving of having a bird bestowed upon them. While I am not going to turn right around with another article in 2 weeks or anything like that, I also will not wait for another two years before the next set comes out. More than likely sometime in January or February is most likely … so if there are people you especially want to see birbed, drop me a message on Discord!

Until next time, this is Lloenflys signing off!

1696800094958.png

Last edited:
I don't think you ever gave me a bird. Homophobic smh

Lloen!! I am honored by your words, your kindness, and picking a pretty bird for me. You're one of my fave Europeians, even when we're disagreeing.

Back