Admin Task Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case Snowball doesn't get to the thread relatively quickly, can someone rename the title of this thread to have the [Gallery] prefix?

Please mask CSP and Isaris as Deputy Ministers, please.

Please create an embassy forum for The Roman Empire, with moderation privileges granted to Plagentine.

Please also grant Diplomat masking to Artemis.

XIV said:
There seems to be some weirdness going on in the High Court forum.
Why is every ghost forum I see always these same set of moderators?

XIV said:

This is a known bug relating to joinable groups. It's been reported to zetaboards numerous times, but they don't seem inclined to fix it. It manifests where a subforum you can view includes a joinable group controlled sub-subforum that you can't.

There are essentially 2 ways to address it: (1) stop using a joinable group to control access to the sub-subforum; (2) rearrange the forums so that the hidden forum is not within a viewable one; or (3) make the sub-subforum viewable but not readable to everyone;. The latter option means the sub-subforum appears and the title of the last thread posted in id's visible, but if anyone not in the joinable group tries to access it, they get an "access denied" message.

Generally, 1 is not a good option because joinable groups are very useful. Without them, ministers, political parties, etc. would have to wait for an admin every time they added or removed someone from their organization. 2 is generally the best option because the only down side is it limits our structural choices, and it only requires relocating or removing subforums that a small group can even see. We adopt 3 in some circumstances, but it is not ideal because it clutters the forum with subforums that can't be accessed for most users. It also tends to lead to frustration and/or confusion when people see a thread title as the last activity in a forum, but when they click on it, they get an error.

In this particular case, the bug was triggered by the creation of a hidden subforums within the legal knowledge depository (the old JTC). I'm working on a fix now. Not sure why this was done because the facts clearly trigger the bug.

Rand said:
XIV said:
Why is every ghost forum I see always these same set of moderators?

It shows as mods the list of members who are tagged as moderators but have no forums to which they are currently assigned as moderators. I have no idea why it does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back