A Taste of Skizz #24

Gatesville’s occupation of Osiris has been the top story in the NationStates world for some time. There hasn’t been much discussion of it in Europeia. I thought I would chime in with my two cents. At my request, President Cerian previewed this article and confirmed that it contained no classified information, but all opinions herein are strictly my own (which should be clear as you read on).

Osiris has never been a typical game-created region (GCR). The creation of Osiris and Balder two years ago triggered a land rush without parallel in modern times. A diverse group of game players secured Balder. We were friendly with the founders, and several Europeian dual citizens were among their ranks, but we never did much to wield influence over there. As a consequence, Balder was a weak, fledging region for quite some time, but over time an indigenous community took root there and grew into one of the more vibrant communities in the GCRs. We recently recognized this development by entering into a treaty with Balder. Even so, however, we do not have significant influence in Balder – whatever influence we do have is mostly due to the personal ties many of us have with Cerebella, who is of course a big wheel in several of our other treatied allies also.

While Balder was going through the growing pains of a small, independent community, Osiris fell into the orbit of the United Defenders League. The UDL was a formidable force in NationStates at that time, so it is hardly surprising that Osiris enjoyed much more early activity than Balder. Under the leadership of UDL stalwarts such as my friends Oliver and Earth, Osiris was widely seen as the more successful of the two new GCRs. Over time, however, the hegemonic relationship took a toll on Osiris. The region made spirited efforts to break away from this domination, but nothing happened in Osiris without the UDL’s blessing – which we learned to our chagrin when we poured much effort into talks with Osiris a couple terms ago. It is not surprising, then, that the UDL’s decline in influence was soon followed by a loss of Osiran sovereignty. Our President has spoken publicly of this, condemning the occupation by Gatesville while also chiding the leaders of Osiris for failing to build stronger institutions.

Despite these misgivings about Osiris's leadership, the President reaffirmed Europeia’s commitment to GCR sovereignty and committed Europeian support to a long-term effort to undermine Gatesville’s occupation and return the prior Osiran regime to power. This was a major commitment on his part for two reasons. First, because the occupiers were able to install a long-time citizen as delegate, restoring the former regime would be far more difficult than, say, liberating TSP following Milograd’s illegal coup there. Second, some of our traditional allies had sided with Gatesville – they are at war with the UDL, and as a satellite of the UDL, they presumably felt that Osiris was a fair target. I supported the President's decision – however bad the prior, quasi-hegemonic regime was in Osiris, outright occupation by Gatesville was much worse.

As time has worn on, however, I have begun to question the wisdom of such a long-term commitment. For one thing, the “liberation” effort (if that’s the right word) is led by people who are either feckless or who hold us in contempt – Biyah, Cormac, Mahaj, and so on. I like Cormac well enough, but I question whether he can stay on the same side long enough to see a project like this through, let alone persuade others to commit to the cause. As for Biyah and Mahaj, I have no use for them at all. Indeed, if memory serves, Biyah himself was involved in a prior effort to usurp the government of Osiris – and now he wants us to commit substantial resources to a long-term effort to restore that government to power? And Mahaj, of course, is the present personification of UDL hegemony in Osiris – why should we work to replace one hegemon with another?

So far, President Cerian has stayed the course. I respect his decision. In my own time as President, I worked to make GCR sovereignty a cornerstone of our foreign policy, and I’m glad to see the current government taking our commitment to that policy seriously. At some point, however, we need to make a sober calculation of self-interest. It is far from clear to me that continuing to support a less than effective regime that is dominated by people who dislike us, while our traditional allies stand on the other side, is in Europeia’s best interests. And at the end of the day, the purpose of an assertive, independent foreign policy is to advance our best interests, not to right every wrong in the NationStates world.

That’s where I stand. I hope this stimulates discussion.

Well you wouldn't get an answer out of GV to that question. GV is in the stronger bargaining position indeed but they have what they want; it would be up to the former regime to come up with terms and for GV to consider them. I imagine based on the behind the scenes actions of some, the terms would involves major concessions from the former regime - not necessarily to cause embarrassment but I wouldn't trust half of them half as much as most of NS distrusts GV :p Bullying is already GV's reputation and has been for most of its existence; HEM can probably find his paper on GV and the specifically anti-GV region of Concosia to back up that point :p To say nothing of GV trying to influence Europeia long ago (HEM can provide screenshots!). Despite that, I don't imagine GV will care for grovelling or humiliating the old regime; they need real lasting terms to retake Osiris by negotiation.. I can only speculate as to what could work though..

they don't have the same degree of loyalty to Osiris that you have to Gatesville, or that I have to Europeia.

Or that I have to Europeia! I don't want to be labelled as a foreigner here! :p Even at when most of my interests are conflicted, I do endeavour to serve the realm:

Multi-term "Golden Age" President, and he's more loyal to GV than us? :p

Skizzy, I think your evaluation of some Osirians (Biyah in particular) and their loyalty to Osiris doesn't fully grasp the reality.

The issue, Lexus, is if GV wants to keep Osiris, they'll have to stay there - forever - and put up with the old Osirians - forever. Do you really, honestly think Nev and Gates (and particularly JAL) are going to stay there forever?

But neither will the old Osirians. The question is who has the will to wait longer. I agree though that generally the occupied outwait the occupyers. Nothing is ever certain though.

The older Osirians may eventually give up also, but ultimately a native regime will eventuate; Gatesville has the ability to influence that, or be seen as long-term imposers of their will, and thus will have little say in the final result.

Well, in GV's defense of how they might think they could pull this off, there is the NPO to consider - except that the NPO was started in the days of no limit banlists and no influence, and the geopolitical situation is very different. Besides, Gates and Nev aside, sooner or later, JAL will want to find somewhere else to purge.

I don't believe that the delegate will always been JAL but I don't believe there'll be a boredom-purge that you like to bring up. I won 4 Presidential elections, I lost another - eventually trends do change :p

Proof the trend changed? :p

As some of you may know, Gatesville, Pharoah Cormac, myself, and others have been involved in deep negotiations over the past week. We've seen the Kemetic Republic of Osiris change much over these past 30 days; frankly, these changes in its approach to foreign affairs and the like are a marked improvement, in my eyes. It is with this in mind that I announce that a deal has been struck, with the terms outlined below.

1. The Kemetic Republic of Osiris will be restored as the ruling government of Osiris.
2. The delegacy will be transfered directly from The Dourian Embassy to Cormac A Stark.
3. The Dourian Embassy will not be ejected or banned from the region thereafter.
4. The Kemetic Republic of Osiris agrees to close relations with the Founderless Region Alliance (FRA).
5. The Kemetic Republic of Osiris agrees that all relations with the West Pacific will remain closed permanently.
6. The Kemetic Republic of Osiris agrees to end its participation in the Pan-Sinker Security Pact.
7. The Kemetic Republic of Osiris recognises Gatesville's intentions in their own unique way to promote sovereignty in Nationstates through the occupation of Osiris, thanks Gatesville for their willingness to broker a deal, and assures them that no ill-will remains.
8. The Kemetic Republic of Osiris recognises the support of The New Inquisition and The Land of Kings and Emperors in resolving this conflict and thanks them for their patience, loyalty and support throughout in dealing with all their stakeholders.

I hence ask all military units endorsing me from Gatesville, the New Inquisition, the Land of Kings and Emperors, and wherever else, to endorse The Pharaoh of Cormac A StarkThe Pharaoh of Cormac A Stark. To ensure the swift and proper execution of term #2, I ask that these units leave their endorsements on me until Cormac surpasses Detective Figs and Sentimental Journey in endorsements, at which point these units should then drop their endorsements of me.

Let this be a stark reminder that organizations that intrude on my business will be burnt, badly.

Thank you and have a good day.

-Governor Imperator, Lord High Executioner, High Tsar, Grand Ayatollah, Vanguard, and Slave Auctioneer Durkadurkiranistan II

Lethen said:
That's not really a question, is it? Not a knock on Lex, it's his prerogative.

Common-Sense Politics said:
Lethen said:
That's not really a question, is it? Not a knock on Lex, it's his prerogative.
Whoever posted before me in the thread (think it was Cerian) implied Lex was more loyal to GV than us. My comment was a snarky rebuttal.

Don't forget I'm the one who's regularly accused of remembering Lex's Golden Age with rose-tinted glasses. I'm a big fan. :emb:

Don't ever stop Leth :D In fairness, they were easier times but I didn't do too badly objectively speaking :p I won't debate my loyalties, but I've worked more on Europeia than anywhere in NS - this is where I consider home and it is why I haven't moved my main nation out of here since 2008. Take from that what you will ^_^

In other news, Osiris crisis over.. :p

I wasn't implying he was more loyal to GV than Europeia. I was simply saying he /was/ loyal to GV.

Cerian Quilor said:
I wasn't implying he was more loyal to GV than Europeia. I was simply saying he /was/ loyal to GV.
Sure you weren't... :ph43r:

*writes Cerian out of his will*

Wow, that escalated quickly.

If memory serves, Lexus is part of the current government in Gatesville. He's loyal to that region, in a way that folks like Biyah and Mahaj may not be to Osiris. I didn't mean to imply anything more than that.

At any rate, I'm glad this situation was resolved in an equitable way without a protracted standoff. Kudos to the Cerian Administration for its role in bringing that about.

I actually retired from the GV High Council before the Osiris affair but they asked me to advise when they needed. Regardless, I didn't take any offence Skizzy, I'm aware people are skeptical of me, but I was responding more cynically than seriously :p

Back