A Taste of Skizz #19

Francis of Assisi famously gave up a life of luxury in favor of a life defined by the imitation of Christ's poverty, piety and service. As part of that service, Francis washed the wounds of lepers, whose status as outcasts had scarcely improved in the twelve centuries since Jesus had ministered to them. Predictably, Francis's close contact with lepers over many years led to him contracting leprosy himself. In his final years, Francis labored through intense pain and suffering to carry out his ministry.

Given the stigma attached to leprosy in those days, it's not surprising the early Franciscans constructed a myth to explain their founder's illness. Their myth -- that Francis bore the stigmata, or the wounds of Christ -- was accepted as history for centuries. Even those who did not believe the Franciscans' account believed that Francis claimed to bear the stigmata. Secular people who would otherwise have been inspired by Francis's example were turned away by what must have appeared to be cult-like veneration of him by his followers. Thankfully, modern Franciscans have reclaimed Francis's true history -- if the subject interests you, Reluctant Saint is an excellent biography, written by a Franciscan disinclined to place his order's founder on a pedestal.

In their efforts to lionize heroes of history, myths often obscure what makes those heroes worthy of emulation. Modern histories of Abraham Lincoln (Team of Rivals is a great one) paint a picture of a frontier lawyer with uncanny interpersonal skills -- a picture that is both more remarkable and more relatable than the fairy tales about "Honest Abe" I was told as a child. Similarly, although the true story of St. Patrick is largely lost to history, surely the tale of the man who Christianized Ireland must be far greater than a fictional story about banishing snakes from the island. (For example, what little we know historically about Patrick suggests he was a forceful advocate for the rights of women.) In more modern times, the myth of Mother Teresa as a woman with a connection to God that none of us ordinary folk could hope to achieve was shattered after her death, when her memoirs revealed that she endured for decades without any sense of the presence of God in her life. In each case, the myths about these legendary figures don't measure up to the reality.

Myths obscure great real-life stories of courage, but more importantly, they obscure ways in which we can emulate our heroes.

-- None of us can imagine being "Honest Abe," but all of us can imagine ways we can better tend to our personal relationships. Such tending will change our lives -- and perhaps the world -- for the better.

-- None of us can imagine having God magically imprint wounds on our hands and feet, but perhaps we can imagine devoting our lives to doing what we believe to be right.

-- None of us can imagine having a direct line of communication with the Almighty, but we can certainly do our best to go about our daily business in a dedicated and upright fashion while we await a call from some higher power (or not, depending on your beliefs).

Each of us could use to do a little myth-busting in our personal lives. Society is a little more tricky -- like the medieval Franciscans, our collective life sometimes benefits from myths that make us better than we actually are. We must take care, however, that such myths do not obscure the ways in which our heroes are worthy of emulation.

This is an important lesson for us in Europeia. What President takes office here and attempts to emulate Lexus? What new citizen tries to model him/herself after Lethen? Ironically, in lauding these regional figures as heroes, we discourage their successors from emulating them, because they assume they could never measure up. Lexus himself was a wise teacher in this regard, pointedly noting his failures and lauding the successes of more recent (and less revered) leaders.

In life and in NS, let's remember how our heroes earned that status. And instead of venerating them, let's emulate them -- it's better for us, and it's a more fitting tribute to them.

Lets just remember, we are bigger and more powerful now - than we were in the supposed "Golden Age". It's always worth keeping some perspective with these things.

But I think the reason Lexus has been idolised, particularly by HEM, etc, is clear. He was the one that brought Europeia up to the next level. He had the vision, experience and team to do that. He helped bring us up to the "Championship League" of regions, from a couple of leagues below. I'm not saying it wouldn't have happenned eventually anyway, but his expertise was invaluable to Europeia, and players like Lexus are not particularly common, so we were lucky to get hold of him in that early stage of our regional life.

...and who wants to be like Lethen? :p
A wondrous question! :p

I think this was a great essay, and I love the mention of St. Francis - he's one of my favorite saints ^_^

I'll have to read that book at some point.

I also want to second what President NES said right above me, because I was here when Lexus was in the business of taking us to the next level and I remember exactly where we were before, and exactly where we are now, and understand that we have him, in large part to thank.

However, since we're talking about Lexus, I don't think we give Asianatic/Aurora enough credit. Also having been there, I remember her as being instrumental, at least back then, to keeping this region competitive and important. She recruited like a crazy person and was very good at keeping politics competitive.

The influence, calming and measured, of 'wawa should not be dismissed. the Graz is correct, 'wawa was our first "big" recruiter and someone who knew who could do anything you threw at them - there are precious few in this elite group and Euro is less without her.

She was a solid President, yes.

So...going off of the tone of this conversation and the actual article, does anyone here actually believe in the Lexian inferiority complex that I've heard HEM (and maybe others?) talk about, to help explain some of the bad presidents we've had?

So...going off of the tone of this conversation and the actual article, does anyone here actually believe in the Lexian inferiority complex that I've heard HEM (and maybe others?) talk about, to help explain some of the bad presidents we've had?
No.

Or, well, I don't anyway. I can't possibly imagine myself suffering from an inferiority complex. :lol:

I don't think so. The legacy of Lexus is not a bad thing. So long as no one articulates in detail why Lexus was a great President, however, his legacy isn't really a good thing either, because no one can learn from his example.

For example, look at Anumia's presidency.

-- He presided during a time of active recruiting and robust population growth.

-- He began the process of rebuilding the Europeian Navy into an elite force.

-- He fought for what he felt was right, even when it wasn't overwhelmingly popular at the time.

There are lessons to be learned for each of these:

-- However expansive their vision or agenda, Presidents should not neglect fundamentals. Also, Presidents should choose their subordinates carefully, as history will reward them for wise choices (e.g., Asperta).

-- Presidents should not be afraid to take on tasks that cannot be seen through to completion in a single 60-day term.

-- Being beloved by all during one's presidency is not necessarily a recipe for being revered as a great President later.

We could also point to weaknesses of Anumia's, allowing future Presidents to learn from his mistakes as well as his successes. For example, some felt Anumia was too thin-skinned -- even if that's an unfair criticism (as I think it is), it's certainly important for Presidents to try to be magnanimous in the face of criticism.

Compared to this robust set of lessons from Anumia's single term as President, what have we learned from five-time President Lexus? Very little, I'm afraid. So, he was a fine leader who "took us to the next level" -- how does that help a leader today do his/her job better?

Not only does Lexus's truncated legacy keep us from learning; it keeps him from being properly appreciated. The praises for Lexus in this thread are surely heartfelt, but it's a short logical distance from those heartfelt praises to the conclusion that Lex was merely "in the right place at the right time" -- a conclusion that, I'm sure, unfairly sells short the gifts that Lexus brought to Goldenblock.

No. I do believe for a time the public expected too much, perhaps because of it but I don't think any president ever felt they couldn't live up to him. Let's not forget we all have inflated egos in this game.

I would reference (if I could find it) the debate over whether Europeia can owe its success to singular people or the team. NES made some excellent points about leadership and someone else (I think it was Skizz) made some excellent points about teams and general feeling. I would use that example to point out that leaders like Lexus, like Aurora, like Skizzy, and like Anumia can give the region as a whole something to look up to and believe in, so that whoever the leader they serve under is, the region may still prosper.

A leader's legacy, as is made clear by this thread, ends long after his or her term does. I would also concur with Skizzy:

Skiz said:
So long as no one articulates in detail why Lexus was a great President, however, his legacy isn't really a good thing either, because no one can learn from his example.

As the government is concerned, Anumia's term is more instructive.

As the region is concerned, Lexus's term is more inspiring.

I think we can use both and not worry which is a "good" or "bad" example.

Back