A Taste of Skizz #19

Francis of Assisi famously gave up a life of luxury in favor of a life defined by the imitation of Christ's poverty, piety and service. As part of that service, Francis washed the wounds of lepers, whose status as outcasts had scarcely improved in the twelve centuries since Jesus had ministered to them. Predictably, Francis's close contact with lepers over many years led to him contracting leprosy himself. In his final years, Francis labored through intense pain and suffering to carry out his ministry.

Given the stigma attached to leprosy in those days, it's not surprising the early Franciscans constructed a myth to explain their founder's illness. Their myth -- that Francis bore the stigmata, or the wounds of Christ -- was accepted as history for centuries. Even those who did not believe the Franciscans' account believed that Francis claimed to bear the stigmata. Secular people who would otherwise have been inspired by Francis's example were turned away by what must have appeared to be cult-like veneration of him by his followers. Thankfully, modern Franciscans have reclaimed Francis's true history -- if the subject interests you, Reluctant Saint is an excellent biography, written by a Franciscan disinclined to place his order's founder on a pedestal.

In their efforts to lionize heroes of history, myths often obscure what makes those heroes worthy of emulation. Modern histories of Abraham Lincoln (Team of Rivals is a great one) paint a picture of a frontier lawyer with uncanny interpersonal skills -- a picture that is both more remarkable and more relatable than the fairy tales about "Honest Abe" I was told as a child. Similarly, although the true story of St. Patrick is largely lost to history, surely the tale of the man who Christianized Ireland must be far greater than a fictional story about banishing snakes from the island. (For example, what little we know historically about Patrick suggests he was a forceful advocate for the rights of women.) In more modern times, the myth of Mother Teresa as a woman with a connection to God that none of us ordinary folk could hope to achieve was shattered after her death, when her memoirs revealed that she endured for decades without any sense of the presence of God in her life. In each case, the myths about these legendary figures don't measure up to the reality.

Myths obscure great real-life stories of courage, but more importantly, they obscure ways in which we can emulate our heroes.

-- None of us can imagine being "Honest Abe," but all of us can imagine ways we can better tend to our personal relationships. Such tending will change our lives -- and perhaps the world -- for the better.

-- None of us can imagine having God magically imprint wounds on our hands and feet, but perhaps we can imagine devoting our lives to doing what we believe to be right.

-- None of us can imagine having a direct line of communication with the Almighty, but we can certainly do our best to go about our daily business in a dedicated and upright fashion while we await a call from some higher power (or not, depending on your beliefs).

Each of us could use to do a little myth-busting in our personal lives. Society is a little more tricky -- like the medieval Franciscans, our collective life sometimes benefits from myths that make us better than we actually are. We must take care, however, that such myths do not obscure the ways in which our heroes are worthy of emulation.

This is an important lesson for us in Europeia. What President takes office here and attempts to emulate Lexus? What new citizen tries to model him/herself after Lethen? Ironically, in lauding these regional figures as heroes, we discourage their successors from emulating them, because they assume they could never measure up. Lexus himself was a wise teacher in this regard, pointedly noting his failures and lauding the successes of more recent (and less revered) leaders.

In life and in NS, let's remember how our heroes earned that status. And instead of venerating them, let's emulate them -- it's better for us, and it's a more fitting tribute to them.

I've never subscribed to the idea that one needs to try to live up to the legacy of Lexus in the office of President. Such feelings lead to an inferiority complex that can cripple a Presidency. HEM sometimes tells me something along the lines of, "You were a good President, but not as good as Lexus". This annoys me, not because I'm concerned about being viewed as a lesser President than Lexus, but because he thought it was even relevant. If people wish to perform comparisons of their own performance or the performance of others, they should do so in a contemporary setting, rather than comparing to an ancient, time-embellished legend.

...and who wants to be like Lethen? :p

Henry once wanted to emulate, then overtake, me, the crazy fellow.

Great article, and good final point.

If people put any of us on pedestals, they need to realize that we've screwed up plenty of times.

Is it as good as everyone has said?

Is it as good as everyone has said?
I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it's pretty engrossing. The stories towards the beginning get a bit redundant, but I'd say overall it's a really good read.

I'm not sure if newer Presidents will emulate the Lexus's and such, I know that I didn't because I wasn't here then. Personally, it was about my own approach combined with what I've seen done.

I'm not sure if newer Presidents will emulate the Lexus's and such, I know that I didn't because I wasn't here then. Personally, it was about my own approach combined with what I've seen done.
If today's presidents attempt to emulate Lexus, they might find themselves failing miserably. The presidency, currently, isn't even remotely comparable to what it was at the height of Lexus' popularity considering the stark difference between where we were developmentally both in terms of internal sophistication and external profile. Emulate the enormity of his contribution, yes, but don't pretend we know what kind of a presidency he would engineer in modern times. The answer may not be as clear cut as some would like to believe. He's a friend of mine and my respect for him is enormous so don't get me wrong. I'm just highlighting a point I find to be important. And, Anumia, I sypathize with you. Lethen told me I was no Lexus either. :p

I did? :lol: Wouldn't shock me.

Just ignore Lethen and HEM.

...general rule for every situation :p
PhDre and I came to an interesting revelation:

1. Pez201's presidency ends; by far the worst presidency up to that point in time. In his final thread as president, my only comment is "You were a terrible president."

2. Falconias compares himself to Lexus. In response, on the Senate floor, I channeled my inner Lloyd Bentsen to Falc's Dan Quayle when I said that I served with President Lexus, and he was no Lexus.

3. Told then-President Anumia off in an Aftermath thread, thread promptly died. Later told Anumia that he was no Lexus.

4. Apparently told CSP the same thing.

5. Where do we go from here? :ph43r: Am I forgetting any Presidents I've bashed? :ph43r: I've noticed a trend. :ph43r:

I don't even understand why Lexus is supposed to be the greatest President ever. Okay, perhaps I wasn't even around then, and from what I understand, he was an excellent President.

But...different times call for different people? We're never going to have an age where someone else could do for Europeia what Lexus has done, and even if Lexus came back, he could not do again what he did then- he would undoubtedly do well, but times change and we change with the times.

Basically, I'm saying that he was a good President for the era in which he served, and in my opinion, CSP and Anumia were just as good for the era in which they served.

So stop holding up the "Golden Age" as something that we long for and dream to emulate, because seriously, our region has, well, matured. We've changed over time, we have completely different problems than we had then, and we have excellent leaders to tackle them.

As one of my many personal heroes said, most people wish that they could race to the silliest part of their life as soon as they can and then try to stay there for as long as possible. Maybe I'm misreading this completely, but love Europeia as it is now, and don't wish for times past (we look upon them fondly, not longingly) and don't wish for times to come (they will come).

Okay, I'm feeling really tired now, and it's way past my bedtime, so forgive me if the above is total bullshit.

Okay. Night.

The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived and dishonest – but the myth – persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Too often […] we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

Back