A Taste of Skizz #15

The discussion here reminded me that I never said anything publicly about our involvement in The South Pacific (TSP) during my presidency. At the time, I kept quiet because I felt the details might harm our diplomatic relations. If that was ever true, I'm convinced it no longer is. Therefore, I'm going to tell the story.

This is not a definitive history, but an account of events from my perspective. Others are invited to correct or supplement my account. I only care about the TSP affair insofar as it affected Europeia, so don't expect a fulsome account of the affair and its NS-wide implications.

Here goes:

Well-known defender Sedge, from The Rejected Realms (TRR), led an effort to overthrow the delegate in TSP. He was joined by Unknown, TNI and LKE. It was a massive operation, so I presume he had other allies too. The Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA), under the leadership of Unibot (who was FRA Arch-Chancellor at the time), came to the aid of the incumbent government of TSP.

I wasn't part of the initial deliberations, but I can see how the decision might have been difficult. On one hand, we would normally side with our raider allies, and against the FRA. On the other, we enjoyed friendly relations with TSP (more so than with the other feeders), and HEM was involved in the government of TSP at the time. For whatever reason, we sided with the native government of TSP.

While the TSP affair was ongoing, Earth resigned. HEM, Ollie and Griff resigned their posts here more or less contemporaneously with Earth. (Griff had been GA.) Plenty has been written on these forums about those events.

As Vice President, I assumed the presidency upon Earth's resignation. Even before my GA was confirmed, one of the admirals (not sure which one) asked privately if I wanted to continue to support TSP against the raiders, who by this point had assumed the delegacy. Motivated by a desire to repair relations with HEM, I said we should continue. After that, I mostly ignored the issue. A few days later, the raid fell apart and TSP's native delegate was restored.

Somewhere in there, I was advised by someone (not sure who) that our involvement in TSP might have violated our treaty obligations. Therefore, I took pains not to disclose our involvement. Later, I reviewed the treaties myself and concluded I had been advised wrongly, but even so, I decided the matter was sensitive enough that I shouldn't discuss it publicly. I did respond privately to a couple citizens who asked questions about our involvement.

I could say more about the fallout across the NS world from the TSP affair, but I'll leave that to someone who follows those things closely. Europeia's involvement in TSP was very minor; ironically, my (possibly misguided) efforts to keep our involvement quiet may have caused some people to believe we were more involved than we were. From Europeia's standpoint, TSP was little more than a garden-variety reinforcement operation. I'm surprised it's still a topic of interest -- and after this boring account, perhaps it won't be anymore.

I don't think he was getting indignant at that, I think he's getting indignant at the suggestion that one can only attack something if they do so in a way as to remain popular themselves.

That characterization is very flattering of HEM, but it's not accurate. HEM himself has admitted he didn't clothe himself in glory during that fight -- which wasn't confined to Hy's campaign thread, and only had a little to do with judicial politics. I'm not looking to condemn HEM -- if you read that linked thread, I didn't clothe myself in glory either.

My point is that each of us must decide whether to forgive, or not. If you forgive, I think you can rightly expect people not to nurse a grudge against you over some cross words, but if you choose to remain indignant about things that happened months ago, you shouldn't expect others to give you a pass for your less noble moments.

Forgiveness is good for the soul, and good for the region also.

Well, only he can speak as to his indignation, so past my supposition I shall speak little further on that mark.

I don't think he was getting indignant at that, I think he's getting indignant at the suggestion that one can only attack something if they do so in a way as to remain popular themselves.

That characterization is very flattering of HEM, but it's not accurate. HEM himself has admitted he didn't clothe himself in glory during that fight -- which wasn't confined to Hy's campaign thread, and only had a little to do with judicial politics. I'm not looking to condemn HEM -- if you read that linked thread, I didn't clothe myself in glory either.

My point is that each of us must decide whether to forgive, or not. If you forgive, I think you can rightly expect people not to nurse a grudge against you over some cross words, but if you choose to remain indignant about things that happened months ago, you shouldn't expect others to give you a pass for your less noble moments.

Forgiveness is good for the soul, and good for the region also.
There's a difference between forgiveness and forgetting completely. Especially when forgetting means a creative re-write of history, alongside exposing ourselves to the same threats yet again.

I do not believe I hold ill will toward anyone on a personal basis (Though I admit, such disconnects have happened in the past. Perhaps I do, and simply do not notice). I hold ill will toward my own mistakes, the circumstances that led people to do unthinkable things. That, indeed, includes myself.

There's a difference between forgiveness and forgetting completely. Especially when forgetting means a creative re-write of history, alongside exposing ourselves to the same threats yet again.

I agree, and it's sometimes a fine line between the two. If you find yourself (1) attacking someone's honor/integrity/credibility, rather than their position; or (2) interjecting old history in a discussion about an unrelated matter, it's a pretty good bet you've crossed that fine line.

As an example, I think Lethen was on the right side of that line when he criticized Ollie ( here and here). Onderkelkia (here) stayed on the right side of the line too, despite there being no love lost between Ollie and Onder. Anumia (here) and NES (here) crossed the line.

That's my take, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Back