The Peanut Gallery

The Peanut Gallery

Episode 1: Dead Snow

OBLIGATORY SPOILER WARNING!

(A car spoiler for those of you who don't know.) :lol:

Hello, audience! On Friday, I watched the movie Dead Snow, directed by Tommy Wirkola and released in Norway on January 9th, 2009. It stars a bunch of Norwegian people I don't know or give a damn about, and it's about Nazi zombies! Seeing as how I play Call of Duty Zombies on my iPad pretty much every day, will be playing Call of Duty: Black Ops soon, and am obsessed with zombies in general, and of course, since this movie was free at the library, I decided to check it out. (Thankfully, it has English subtitles. :D)

Basically, this movie starts out with a bunch of Norwegian medical school students with forgettable names who are taking a scenic drive into the Norwegian mountains- specifically, they will be staying at a cabin with absolutely no cell phone signal and no clear markings for a path back to the cars. Oh, and for some reason one of them, I think it's one of the girlfriends, decides to ski across an icy lake. Of course, what could possibly go wrong? :p

It's off to a night of drunken merriment, weird Hollywood movie references, and Twister (not even kidding you), until an old guy barges in, asks for some tea, hates the tea, and then proceeds to tell them a ghost story. Turns out that right in this area a bunch of Nazi soldiers stole all of the town gold during World War II. Most of them were ambushed and killed by an ANGREH MOB gun.gif, except for Colonel Orzag and about 300 of his men, whom the villagers stopped looking for cause they were liek, "Meh, whatever. They froze to death. Who wants reindeer for dinner?" :lol:

Then, there are all of the usual Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street 80s horror movie tropes- "Don't have sex (while one of you is taking a dump) or you will DIE!!!!," "Fuck- the zombies are running?," "Beware the cursed Nazi gold that is somehow at the bottom of your cabin!," and "Only one girl will survive!"

And of course, who could forget the ever-loved chainsaw, joined by its friends the Trench Gun (my favorite gun in Nazi Zombies- yay shoutout! :D) and a .50 caliber machine gun that a guy somehow attaches to his snowmobile after patching up a wound to his throat WITH DUCT TAPE. Fucking DUCT TAPE! LMAOing :emb:

Plus, there is a lot, lot, LOT of gore, dismemberment, and sex/toilet related jokes to pad the entire movie's length. Normally, I would roll my eyes at all of this, because it's just so cheesy and overdone, but they manage to make it really, really hilarious. I'm not gonna give everything away, but it's the way that they play with all of these tropes so lovingly and in such unexpected and creative ways that will make this one of the great horror classics of the last decade.

Peanut Gallery Rating: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: (out of 5)

Peanut Gallery Recommendation: Must Have!!!!

Get it From:

United States

Australia

Europe

Back