former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
Why I still believe in the GAP
HEM Tiberius

In the closing days of January 2012 I went to the Grand Hall to promote a radical new idea. Europeia had reached yet another high water mark as the scars of 2011's turmoil began healing. We were seeing record population levels, record activity levels, and our region seemed to be begging for some higher calling.

So I went to the Grand Hall and tried to sell something that I knew would lack universal support. I called upon our region, and our community, to give back to the world and help create something new. I knew that by doing so we could rise game-wide activity and channel our Europeian legacy into something truly remarkable.

I called this plan the "Good Neighbor Policy".

Some people called it imperialism, some people called it a waste of resources, and some people had nothing to say about it at all. While I did not maintain consistent enough activity in 2012 to promote the idea further, it piqued the interest of one key citizen -- Anumia.

In October of 2013, over a year after I floated my idea to the general public, Anumia announced his bid for the Presidency and a blueprint of what would be one of Europeia's most ambitious plans ever -- The Great Architecture Project.

Architects of Destiny - Julian Anumia (October 2013) said:
"The question therefore becomes: how do we best invest our resources for more growth? In the past, we mobilised raw manpower in recruitment campaigns, utilising our existing high population advantage to bring to bear more recruiters than most regions were able to field, and the interest our strong political system brings to keep naturalised citizens interested in remaining to participate for the longer-term.

We can no longer rely upon recruitment efforts, but we can look elsewhere. The world is still full of nations, more joining daily. We need only to reach out to them and offer what we have: our civilisation, our knowledge of how an established and mature region is grown and maintained. Our experience.

It is that experience that smaller, younger regions lack. It is that experience that we can offer to them.

I propose that we give our attention for the coming term to two important foci: internally, we finalise work on the Newcomers' Academy and put it into practice, expand our forms of media beyond text alone, seek new ideas and new programs to complement those existing; externally, we plan for then commence what I call the Great Architecture Project."

To suggest that the GAP had a rocky start would be an understatement. A newly minted President Anumia was preoccupied with other affairs -- both in-region and in real life -- to give the project the much needed attention it required. The point-man of the project -- Common Sense Politics -- was likewise beleaguered with various commitments. By the end of Anumia's first term, the project was largely seen as having made no progress.

Anumia then tapped Lethen to help lead the project as Minister of Cultivation, and Lethen put huge swaths of time and energy into building up a new Ministry from the ground up. But still, progress came slow. Citizens had some legitimate complaints about lack of communications about progress as the term went on, but citizens seemed to have disproportionally higher standards for communication from the Ministry of Cultivation than they had for many other -- arguably even more critical Ministries -- such as the Navy or Foreign Affairs.

By May 2014 we had signed two Construction Partnership Agreements, but progress stalled with the handover of the department from Lethen to Ogastein -- who after promising to build up the program, almost immediately disavowed it and vanished from Europeia.

By this point, an already impatient population had grown tired of hearing about the GAP. People were growing weary of waiting, and politically, the entire program was becoming a ball and chain around any and every administration that was forced to touch it. However, Kraketopia -- who had since succeeded Anumia as President -- gave the program another stab with Malashaan as Ogastein's successor.

He could not have made a better choice. By late September the program had six partner regions with more negotiations on the way. Architect assignments were being evenly distributed, and the program had finally seemed to gain some much needed momentum.

But somehow, it didn't matter.

The well of political will had finally dried up. When Malashaan himself sought the Presidency the Ministry of Cultivation was scrapped and mothballed within the Department of Foreign Affairs. Without a concentrated effort this term, all the progress made over the early autumn seems to have evaporated. As of today, the Senate is considering the repeal of the Foreign Cultivation Act, which would sweep away the last remnants of our first (and probably last) coherent foreign aid program.

In late December 2012, I penned an article questioning the near universal complacency that I saw in the region. There was a particular observation from future President Cerain Quilor that I feel is apt to relay:

Cerain Quilor in response to "Is the Grass that much Greener?" said:
The problem isn't Vinage. Its Europeia's lack of institutional will to do anything truly grand in scope. We can't build a consensus around any truly grand project, and until we get such a consensus, or a President willing to damn the torpedos and just do something, we're going to stay largely where we are right now.

The Malashaan Administration, just a few weeks ago, announced the failure of an international paper project that would have rose the profile of Europeia around the globe. Today, we are seeing universal consensus in shuttering a program that would have done the same, and was perhaps on the crux of doing so.

There is a large part of me that feels we have become so good at getting the trains run on time here in Europeia, that we grow frustrated when everything we touch fails to turn to gold instantly. As Cerain so accurately points out, we appear to lack the political will to pursue anything that threatens to shatter our self contained ceilings. We are so afraid of the sour investment, of the poison pill, of disproportionally high risks that we have become reluctant to take any risks at all. So we stay within our comfort levels and write the best damned recruitment telegrams in Nationstates, throw the best festivals on the internet, but fail to go beyond the wall we have built around ourselves.

We talk about resource management and claim that we can spend our time better in other places, but...doing what, exactly? While in antiquity excess time and manpower could always go toward recruitment and welcoming, such things are a relic of a day gone by. Today we sit as one of the most privileged regions in one of Nationstates' most privileged eras, yet we only marginally surpass our former selves at performing the most basic tasks of government.

Nobody said the GAP would be easy. Nobody has ever said that anything worth doing would be easy. But while it is failure that seems to scare a great deal of people here, I am far more terrified by the fact that we barely even seem to try.

There are those that will argue that the repeal of the Foreign Cultivation Act does not necessarily mean the end of the GAP, but I disagree. The continual de-institutionalization of the GAP in the name of "flexibility" has brought less activity and less progress on the program -- not more. We will continue to push the GAP out of public sight, until the only place people will read about its designs are in history books.

There are those who will point to the shortcomings of the Ministry of Cultivation and of the GAP, for there were many. But our standards for the GAP always seemed to be higher than our standards for every other office. For how many failed Ministry of Cultures have we seen? How many failed Grand Admirals? But with those later offices we slogged on, knowing that tomorrow would be better in those departments. We never gave that chance to the GAP, even though the GAP represented a challenging of the glass ceiling that so ominously lingers over our heads -- so very close -- but somehow always just out of our reach.

There are many educated statesmen and politicians who will disagree with me, perhaps vehemently. Their opinions are based on their Europeian experiences, which are all just as authentic as my own. I very much doubt that the result of this article will be the restoration of the GAP, at least in its holistic form. But perhaps the result will be a new project being assembled, a new idea being proposed, a new citizen seeking office, or a new voice speaking up! No amount of stumbles in the past can impede a future step forward! Indeed, this is perhaps the most crucial lesson I have learned in my time as your founder.

For it was with only my voice that -- almost three years ago -- I proposed the "GNP". Two years after that, Europeia changed one letter, and with outstretched arms, we chased the "GAP".

What voice will propose the next idea? What are we capable of accomplishing tomorrow, if only we dare to race across the current and seize it?

Europeia, the future is yours.

A year is not long enough for you? What exactly has the GAP been able to accomplish? Sure, we've signed CPAs, but what has come of them?

Sopo said:
A year is not long enough for you? What exactly has the GAP been able to accomplish? Sure, we've signed CPAs, but what has come of them?
How many years did we invest in building this game's best law library and legal structure? How many painful years did we endure of a lackluster navy, incapable of invading a warzone, much less being a recognized game power? Indeed, at one point I called for the dismantling of the navy due to its inefficacy. But the region held out belief -- for far longer than one singular year -- that with the right pool of talent and willpower -- we could accomplish the seemingly unachievable.

Everything good in Europeia has taken time, and most of those things have never had timetables attached to their success.

HEM said:
Sopo said:
How many years did we invest in building this game's best law library and legal structure? How many painful years did we endure of a lackluster navy, incapable of invading a warzone, much less being a recognized game power? Indeed, at one point I called for the dismantling of the navy due to its inefficacy. But the region held out belief -- for far longer than one singular year -- that with the right pool of talent and willpower -- we could accomplish the seemingly unachievable.

Everything good in Europeia has taken time, and most of those things have never had timetables attached to their success.
What makes you think the GAP is on par with those things?

Sopo said:
HEM said:
Sopo said:

It is impossible to know for certain which seeds will grow the most fruitful plants, except that failing to plant any at all will -- for certain -- result in no harvest whatsoever.

In plain English, I don't know for sure. I would have told you a few years back that I thought the Navy was a wasted investment. I was wrong. I could be wrong here. But with a lack of viable alternatives to pursue, keeping up the fight on something we've already started seems to be a decent option.

HEM said:
Sopo said:
HEM said:
Sopo said:

It is impossible to know for certain which seeds will grow the most fruitful plants, except that failing to plant any at all will -- for certain -- result in no harvest whatsoever.
But what of the plants that begin to grow, yet become brown and lifeless? Shall we continue watering in vain? The farmhand reports there will be no harvest. Shouldn't we then plant a field anew, rather than anticipate bounty where we will only find shriveled defeat?

Sopo said:
HEM said:
Sopo said:
HEM said:
Sopo said:

But what of the plants that begin to grow, yet become brown and lifeless? Shall we continue watering in vain? The farmhand reports there will be no harvest. Shouldn't we then plant a field anew, rather than anticipate bounty where we will only find shriveled defeat?

Malashaan 09/25 said:
However, the big news this week is that things have really started to happen - right on schedule. I am pleased and proud to announce that we now have 6 partner regions, listed below with their assigned architects.

Commonwealth of Kings - Malashaan
The Infinite Alliance - Writing Legend
Natan Region - Calvin
The Union Republic - Malashaan
The Bungle Brigade - Peace Republic
Aura Hyperia - Peace Republic

Malashaan 09/25 said:
I also want to give a special shout out to Writing Legend, who has done a great deal of work with The Infinite Alliance. He produced an excellent recruitment seminar that the Ministry will be adopting for wider use, and our work with TIA is rapidly turning into a great partnership.

Malashaan 09/25 said:
I have actually put the breaks on a little this week. Response to the offers I sent out last week has been more positive than expected, and the risk of rapid growth causing the GAP to collapse under it's own weight has become a serious concern to be guarded against, With that in mind, I hope more civic minded citizens out there will consider signing up to get involved so we can continue to expand - we're getting to the stage where manpower is the driving factor.

Malashaan 10/3 said:
This week has seen growing relationships with our existing partner regions. A recruiting seminar has begun in the Commonwealth of Kings and Architect Calvin Coolidge as advising The Natan Region re the drafting of a new Constitution.

Malashaan 10/3 said:
Following the success of the initial round of region approaches performed by myself, the full system has now been rolled out with the Architects Corps sharing the burden of new partner approaches. Architects Writing Legend, Calvin Coolidge, and Marnip are engaging in a second round of region approaches. This should result in a few additional partner regions entering the project before the end of the term, dependent on how rapidly the regions we approach respond and make a decision regarding membership.

Maybe I just lack a green thumb, but I certainly wouldn't describe the landscape as "brown and lifeless".

But what came of those agreements? That was over two months ago.

I agree with HEM.

It's no secret that I'm a supporter of the GAP, as stated in my previous Senate campaign platform.

I'm considered one of the Old Guard because I've been around since the early days of the Europeian Republic and throughout that time, I've seen Europeia grow from a minor region founded by our most venerable and respected Founder HEM to the powerhouse region it is today.

This growth took a lot of time and effort, but it was worth it.

Anything worthwhile takes time and effort and I truly believe that the GAP is a worthwhile endeavor.

Sopo said:
But what came of those agreements? That was over two months ago.
We have no idea. The public lost the will to stay with the program, and the entire department was mothballed and forgotten.

Cordova I said:
I agree with HEM.

It's no secret that I'm a supporter of the GAP, as stated in my previous Senate campaign platform.

I'm considered one of the Old Guard because I've been around since the early days of the Europeian Republic and throughout that time, I've seen Europeia grow from a minor region founded by our most venerable and respected Founder HEM to the powerhouse region it is today.

This growth took a lot of time and effort, but it was worth it.

Anything worthwhile takes time and effort and I truly believe that the GAP is a worthwhile endeavor.
The question isn't whether effort is required to succeed in this game; it's where that effort would be most appropriately focused.

Most of the emergent, independent regions the GAP seeks to help will fail. They will fail not because of anything Europeia does or fails to do, but because it's rare for such a region to maintain the core of active, dedicated players that's needed to sustain a successful region. We can't do that for them.

The question, then, is whether the cost of diverting a substantial portion of our best citizens' efforts away from our own region for the benefit of others is worth the benefit of (presumably) closer relations with the occasional independent region that beats the odds I described above. I don't think the benefits, which have yet to move beyond the realm of the hypothetical, justify the costs.

That said, I don't know why the Senate is inserting itself in this debate. Although this region is a democracy, it is also a volunteer-run endeavor; as such, it lacks the authority to compel citizens interested in contributing in one area to make those contributions instead in another area. I think Lethen's and Mal's efforts on the GAP could have done more good channeled in a different direction, but it's not up to me to tell them how to spend their time. So long as these folks aren't harming the region with their efforts (and I don't think anyone believes that's the case), the Senate shouldn't be pushing legislation that would undercut their efforts, against the wishes of the Executive.

Most of the emergent, independent regions the GAP seeks to help will fail. They will fail not because of anything Europeia does or fails to do, but because it's rare for such a region to maintain the core of active, dedicated players that's needed to sustain a successful region. We can't do that for them.

I am not saying you are incorrect, but why has this assumption become ironclad fact? I feel we have a very limited sample of CPAs to judge it on, and the verdict on the impact of our investments is far from clear. While, on the whole, most newly founded regions do indeed fail, why wouldn't our assistance (coupled with a strong vetting process) radically change that statistic?

The question, then, is whether the cost of diverting a substantial portion of our best citizens' efforts away from our own region for the benefit of others is worth the benefit of (presumably) closer relations with the occasional independent region that beats the odds I described above. I don't think the benefits, which have yet to move beyond the realm of the hypothetical, justify the costs.

What is the alternative endeavor that we should involve ourselves in? While there are no studies suggesting the average time commitment for an Architect (it might be worthwhile to survey some of them...) I cannot imagine that their duties take huge swaths of time that could otherwise be used to build the pantheon here at home. Furthermore, even if their average effort is more considerable than I suspect, what would architects truly be doing instead? While you seem to imply that the opportunity cost of being an architect is effort for other projects of regional importance, what if the alternative activity for Architects was merely spamming or contributing to the region socially? I do not find this theory completely implausible, as the most important government functions operated quite well even at the height of the GAP.

I suppose, ultimately, I do not buy your assumption that there is Very Important Work to be done in Europeia that is lost or neglected because of this program. I also believe that we do not understand the true potential benefit that could exist in having a sphere of regions who have high levels of loyalty to us personally, rather than to an ideal or ideology.

Thank you for your feedback Skizzy, I was excited to see you posting in my little thread here :p

HEM, my opinion of the work required is based on my perception that GAP has languished when we haven't had at least one of our best people (Anumia, Lethen, Mal) making a serious, sustained effort to push it forward. I would guess that those guys have put as much effort into GAP as any of our recent Grand Admirals have put into the Navy, but without the results to show for it that we've had with the Navy (though that has involved lots of ordinary citizens' efforts also).

In your opening post, you mentioned the interregional publication that we weren't able to get off the ground. I think that's a great example of a project where one of our most talented citizens could make a larger impact than he/she can on the GAP -- but it's a different sort of activity, and I acknowledge that people who enjoy doing one might not enjoy doing the other.

While the comparisons between the GAP and the Navy are strained, they're not totally misplaced. I would note that by the time we facilitated real success with the Navy, success that would forever change that institution and our place in the world, we had been learning what not to do for three years.

The GAP is also something I've cared deeply about and had great hopes for. I proposed a similar scheme in one of my presidential runs that never came to fruition. We have already learned that it takes a tremendously active and engaged individual at the head of this program for it to make any tangible gains at all. Also, we've learned that practical circumstances make this initiative uncommonly challenging. For some, those conclusions are enough to dismantle or at the very least drastically limit our efforts in this arena. I'd like to see what else we can learn.

Reading this I cant seem to shake the feeling that nobody actually read the legislation up for debate in the Senate. We arent getting rid of the GAP. We are simply integrating the Foreign Cultivation Act into other relevant legislation and getting rid of the legal basis for the Council. The same Council that has never existed and likely never will exist. If anything I believe the integration would make it harder to get rid of the GAP as you could no longer simply repeal one Law but would have to pick through at least two to fully get rid of every last vestige.

Drecq said:
Reading this I cant seem to shake the feeling that nobody actually read the legislation up for debate in the Senate. We arent getting rid of the GAP. We are simply integrating the Foreign Cultivation Act into other relevant legislation and getting rid of the legal basis for the Council. The same Council that has never existed and likely never will exist. If anything I believe the integration would make it harder to get rid of the GAP as you could no longer simply repeal one Law but would have to pick through at least two to fully get rid of every last vestige.
:blink:

There are those that will argue that the repeal of the Foreign Cultivation Act does not necessarily mean the end of the GAP, but I disagree. The continual de-institutionalization of the GAP in the name of "flexibility" has brought less activity and less progress on the program -- not more. We will continue to push the GAP out of public sight, until the only place people will read about its designs are in history books.

I think I pretty much addressed the contents of the Act and your rebuttal head on. Now, you may disagree with my assessment, but that is another matter entirely :p

The actual activity isnt something the Senate can regulate. What our purview is is the legislation. The law will still allow for it. Your beef is with the executive not with us. So yes, it still seems like you didnt read the proposed legislation. Either that or you dont know the difference in purpose between the different branches of government. Further, this doesnt de-institutionalize the GAP it simply redistributes the relevant passages in order to assign them to relevant legislation with a larger overreaching purpose. What you are arguing is akin to saying the legislative would work better if you would take the legislative section of the Constitution and make it its own separate act.

Drecq said:
The actual activity isnt something the Senate can regulate. What our purview is is the legislation. The law will still allow for it. Your beef is with the executive not with us. So yes, it still seems like you didnt read the proposed legislation. Either that or you dont know the difference in purpose between the different branches of government. Further, this doesnt de-institutionalize the GAP it simply redistributes the relevant passages in order to assign them to relevant legislation with a larger overreaching purpose. What you are arguing is akin to saying the legislative would work better if you would take the legislative section of the Constitution and make it its own separate act.
You are gutting the GAP and distributing it every which way. This will only cause it to lose more focus and purpose than it already has with the dissolution of the Ministry of Foreign Cultivation. Furthermore, the Council represented the "endgame" or "success stage" of the GAP, and the sweeping away of this provision essentially says that any grand vision that was associated with the GAP is gone, replaced with some piecemeal organization that will be on a lesser level than the ambassador corp.

Yes, my primary beef is with the executive. But what the Senate is doing has no practical purpose aside from taking the GAP backwards. There is no benefit of your approach, as Senator Anumia has pointed out, aside from our region's seemingly obsessive desire to have as few pieces of legislation as possible :p

I agree with Skizzy. All the time and effort I put into the GAP could have done so much more in another area of the region, and it doesn't help when the political support is drying up and the expectations seem to be higher for Cultivation than other Ministries. It's adding pressure to an already high-pressure ministry*, and it basically turned me off of staying involved in Cabinet for the next few terms.

HEM does make a valid broader point though - Europeians have become so used to doing things well that, when things don't go exactly as planned or take longer than projected, we can't deal with it.

*And before anyone says "This is just a game" and "don't let it get to you," remember that the line is often blurred. For every time that I wanted to just blow off my Europeian duties for a day or so since it's a game, there were so many more times where I'd find a freshly-made post or new topic being critical and unapologetic, giving no leeway or room for excuses. How can I say this is "just a game" when so many people take things seriously enough to not give into that reasoning?

Back