former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
E-News Network - "Where did all the marbles go?"
Written by HEM Tiberius

Many Europeians were shocked when longtime on and off citizen -- Athanasius Ilius (also known as New Rogernomics and Sireon Yarth)-- completely...lost his marbles this week. Athanasius Ilius had been involved in the region for some time at the social level, and was regarded by most as a decent well meaning chap. His voice in debates was usually humorous, reasoned, and offered a differing perspective as a foreigner.

However, he had been falling on an unusual side of debates since Europeia began having some...differences with The Ascendancy. The Ascendancy condemned Europeia last December for actions they saw unfit. I wrote a rebuttal op-ed (which was never replied to by The Ascendancy) and debate ensued between members and Athanasius Ilius. It was mostly respectful, however, and Athanasius Ilius seemed to take into account the casual nature of things at the Ascendancy.

However, things began getting stranger. Members of the Ascendancy began to message Rachel Anumia, talking about how they were going to effectively challenge a Europeian "hegemony". This strange mentality was followed by a dramatic reversal with Athanasius Ilius, in his role as Templar King of the Ascendancy proposing an embassy. The request was denied without statement, though Minister Common Sense Politics offered to have a private discussion over this. That offer was denied. I followed this event by criticizing the statement The Ascendancy made last December, and a lack of apology for diplomatic tactlessness. Athanasius Ilius simply stated that The Ascendancy maintained their view, and refused to budge on the issue.

Odd enough, Henry then followed by posting an article of his private newspaper detailing his concerns with The Ascendancy as a region, and how they housed some dubious characters. Athanasius Ilius replied with a staunch defense of the region. Skizzy Grey, apparently having none of it, effectively told Athanasius Ilius where to shove it.

Things then go from crazy...to just plain bizarre. Athanasius Ilius posts that he is leaving the region forever, and for Europeia to "expect a condemnation forum our government for your government's actions", nevermind that it is a private paper and a private statement from Skizzy Grey.

Instead of taking this to diplomatic channels, Athanasius Ilius apparently decided the time was ripe to post an opinion piece in his home region about the "evils" he discovered in Europeia. Neverminding the fact that his "opinion piece" was filled with historical inaccuracies about the arrival dates of members he claimed "controlled the region" and oft repeated claims of mysterious Europeian influence abroad. A piece of rubbish, he actually retitled the thread later to represent a more moderated view rather than unilaterally calling all Europeians hateful.

Instead of substantiating any of his statements, or making coherent sense, he merely keeps repeating the same phrase of "the views I expressed in the region were totally fake, even to Henry."

He said the same thing when I attempted to contact him and talk through this on MSN, "Though I might add that all the views I expressed in Europeia were false, including those I expressed to Henry."

What this statement means, and why he keeps invoking Henry is uncertain. Despite the absurdity, utter strangeness, and sheer inaccuracy of the entire affair, the Ascendancy responded to this affair by offering a hefty promotion to Athanasius Ilius from Templar King to Emperor of Authairea.

No, you can't script this sorta thing. You just can't.

Other Tidbits

- City Council representatives arrive at the Senate to discuss the new Constitution. Although work has been pushed back, the goal is to have it up for public vote by Europeia's fifth birthday on March 6th.

- A United Kingdom refounded and given to the displaced natives from The United Kingdom.

- Man Court established to see which men are...real men. Crazy people only...please.

- Debate rages about various political issues. One thread contains Muslim fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists, abortion, and more.

Odd enough, Henry then followed by posting an article of his private newspaper detailing his concerns with The Ascendancy as a region, and how they housed some dubious characters. Athanasius Ilius replied with a staunch defense of the region. Skizzy Grey, apparently having none of it, effectively told Athanasius Ilius where to shove it.

Things then go from crazy...to just plain bizarre. Athanasius Ilius posts that he is leaving the region forever, and for Europeia to "expect a condemnation forum our government for your government's actions", nevermind that it is a private paper and a private statement from Skizzy Grey.

This is the second time I have triggered an international incident with a crude one-liner, but unlike the first time, I won't be apologizing for this one.

I don't share HEM's view of AI as a "decent, well meaning chap." My dislike for AI dates to 2010, when he made some jokes about retarded kids in the Republic Square, then defended them when he was called out for his tastelessness. (Back then, only a few folks here knew about my personal circumstances.) With that context, perhaps you can understand why AI telling Henry to "watch [his] mouth there" struck a nerve.

I would have buried the hatchet long ago if I felt AI contributed positively to our community, but I never felt he did. His actions these past couple days have done nothing to change my mind.

I am hoping one day to be at the other end of a good Skizzy one-liner. :lol: Good article, HEM

The ENN is a good news source, but I can't help but feel that 4 months down the line, the threads and posts that HEM refers to will be difficult to find.

So, erm, HEM could you make a list of links?

I've always like Skizzy's one-liners.

He's like a cool Chris Christie.

This is the second time I have triggered an international incident with a crude one-liner, but unlike the first time, I won't be apologizing for this one.

I don't share HEM's view of AI as a "decent, well meaning chap." My dislike for AI dates to 2010, when he made some jokes about retarded kids in the Republic Square, then defended them when he was called out for his tastelessness. (Back then, only a few folks here knew about my personal circumstances.) With that context, perhaps you can understand why AI telling Henry to "watch [his] mouth there" struck a nerve.

I would have buried the hatchet long ago if I felt AI contributed positively to our community, but I never felt he did. His actions these past couple days have done nothing to change my mind.
What was the first time (Link please?)

Too lazy to fish out a link for you, but if you find my December 2010 presidential campaign thread in the Oval Room, it's in there, maybe 3/4 of the way through. Technically, it wasn't the one-liner that caused the international incident, but what I said immediately prior to that (though the one-liner threw some gasoline on the proverbial fire).

I reread that thread recently too. Quite a time capsule, with Onder and NES arguing effectively that I was a less reliable raider ally than Oliver. :p

What was the first time (Link please?)
F--k you.
Something I long to say to you all the time, Hy.

I wanted context, which is why I asked Skizzy for a link.

I've read the thread in its entirety (enlightening stuff). I didn't need to be cursed at.
Tha...that was the one-liner. flail.gif
Don't worry too much about it, Hy. Some people are just uptight some times, and the joke was only obvious to people that have been here and heard it before or witnessed it firsthand.

If you guys recall, I didn't think too much of your jokes when I first got here, either. Took me a long while just to realize you were joking half the time.

Back